Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce Yourself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnie

Thanks Shane.
    Ive started my search.
    Will keep you posted.
    Fingers crossed I get somewhere.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Hi! :)
    As in the title... not sure how I never ended up in this forum before!!
    I'm 26, was adopted by my parents at 6 days old through St. Patricks Guild.
    Got in contact with my birth mother when I was about 20, and am still in touch with her... we're not super close, but we get on great when we meet up, talk... we're "facebook friends" as well! :D
    She gave up another girl for adoption about 5 years after me, all I know about her is her name.
    A while after that she met her now husband, and I have 3 half- siblings, who I've properly met once and are brilliant. I've also met one of my birth mothers' sisters, and am hoping I'll get to meet the rest of her family over time. :)
    Not paticulalry interested in my biological father... (not sure if that's a common thing or not, so I hope it's not terrible to be like that!)... I do know a little about him, so maybe that appeased my curiosity!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 schoolmouse

dorisoak,
    schoolmouse here. I could not help noticing that your age is that of my Son who was adopted from the home in Cork and I am wondering whether you are Male or Female.

sunnie wrote: »
    hi. im 25 yrs of age and i am adoted. i was born in the coombe hospital in dublin and adopted at 3 days old. i have never looked into finding my birth mother but my adopted father gave me some info about my birth parents when i was younger and it was never hiden that i was adopted. i registered myself with the national adoption board but have heard nothing back as of yet. i am looking for my medical records at the moment.
    can anyone tell me can you start looking online your self or do you have to go through this adoption board?

Hey. Just to let ye all know. i am going to meet the sister who handed me over to my adpotive parents on the 13th of june, she is going to give me some non identifingn info about my adoption. :D
    Hopefully this will be the start of my search going to plan. :D

Hi.
    I was wondering if anyone cuold help me.
    im going to the orphanage where i was adopted out of 25 yrs ago. what should i ask when i get there? can I go to the hospital where i was born and get my records from there too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hey. Just to let ye all know. i am going to meet the sister who handed me over to my adpotive parents on the 13th of june, she is going to give me some non identifingn info about my adoption. :D
    Hopefully this will be the start of my search going to plan. :D

I hope things went well for you today.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I hope things went well for you today.

Things went really well today. i got 25yrs of questions answered in an hr.
    my birth name, my weight, my parents first names, where they were from, y i was placed. need 2 dig deeper for a bit more info but will get in2 it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

great to hear it all went well sunnie, the more info u get the more u want to know. good luck with the rest of ur search..kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bod the Munster one!

my birth name, my weight, my parents first names, where they were from, y i was placed. need 2 dig deeper for a bit more info but will get in2 it soon.

Oh Ive been waiting to hear how it went... delighted for you, take a bow and a deep breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 schoolmouse

Hi sunnie
    glad to see that things are starting to in the right direction for you keep heart and things will work out ok.Best wishes schoolmouse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 confuzzled87

Hey guys,
    Just started my search for my biological parents. I am on the Cunamh waiting list and just registered with the Adoption registry.
    Born May 7th 1987 in the Rotunda hospital.
    I was told that my biological mother was from the south east but lived and working in banking in Dublin and that my biological father was a professional musician.

Would like to do more to search but I am living in America now for a year for work. Unable to try find my birth cert in Dublin.
    Can anyone give any extra advice??

Thanking you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Confuzzled87- you're going about things the right way. The first step is to try to get as much 'Non-identifying' information as possible. Cunamh are a little better in this respect than they used be in the past.

Once you have non-identifying information- the next logical step is to leverage this information to find your original birth cert- and from there that of your birthmum and any other siblings you may have.

The traceguide that we host here, details how to do this- step by step.

I appreciate that as you're in the States, logistically it may be difficult to find the time to get into the Research Room to find your birth certificate. Do you have any close friends who might be willing to help with this?

Alternatively- if you put out a call for a search angel on the old Adoption Ireland Yahoo list (here) you may be able to find a helper who can assist.

Best of good luck to you with your search- feel free to pop in and out with any questions or situations you'd like people's thoughts or experience with.

Best wishes,

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 confuzzled87

Thanks very much for the advice. A great help. Will keep posting if I find out more. This is exciting and so weird at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sentosa007

Hello
    for the last few years i've been tracing my birth mother, well the agency has!
    Not a great outcome really.... according to the agency my birthmother isnt the full shilling (sorry probably not the best words). Turns out she doesnt even remember giving birth to me :(

I also found out that i have 2 older siblings and 2 younger siblings....which is mental cause im an only child.... the 2 older siblings were kept and raised by their grandmother and me and the 2 younger siblings were given up for adoption.

So a few months back i asked the agency to trace the 2 younger siblings, at least if we did meet up it would be some support if we ever got to meet up with our birthmother....

so its just a waiting game really...

No support at home with this, my adoptive parents dont know im tracing... boyfriend isnt the best at these kinds things and none of my friends know.... And anyways they have their own thing going on!! think its cause been an only child i've always kept things to myself lol! selfish ha!

Good luck to everyone tracing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Was it in Ireland?
    Your birth mother never married?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sentosa007

yes in Ireland, even the same city!!
    No she wasnt married, as far as i no she didnt tell my father she was pregnant....as they broke up....but the mad thing is they got back together and had a futher 2 kids which were given up for adoption aswell...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

canihave wrote: »
    As a birthmother I feel I have messed up for her...

Hi canihave,

I'd like to disagree with the above if I may. I was adopted from St Patricks in 1977 and my parents are absolutely terrific and if I ever did make contact with my birthmum I'd like her to know that first and foremost. So don't be so sure of having messed up for her. Despite all the heartache adoption can be a positive experience and who's to say your daughter doesn't feel the same way too.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Hi
    My story so far.
    I'm 46, living in Dublin, was raised by an amazing couple who gave my big sister (adopted also) and myself everything they possibly could and we could not have been shown more love by anybody.

Dad is gone a good few years and we lost Mum recently which is what has led me here.

We have always known we were adopted and it was just the way things were, no big issue but not anything we ever talked about.

Sis who has lived abroad for over 30 years is in contact with her birth Mum who we have known her all our lives, Sis only became aware of the relationship when she was in her late teens and they exchange letters, the occasional phone call and visits when Sis comes home.

I on the other hand have very little info on my passed and have only really felt the need to find out what I can and see who might be out there since Mum passed. I often thought about looking but never felt the need.

So what I know, I was born in the UK, London and adopted here very young. I think I know my birth name and that is about the lot.

I'm about to apply to The Adoption Authority of Ireland for whatever info they have on me and try to follow the gide from there.

One question someone might know the answer to as its not clear to me, where would I have to go to do a birth cert search, here or the UK? It said on UK.gov site that I would have to get it from the authority's here because I was adopted here ?

I'll keep the forum updated on progress, might start a thread. Any tips, advice, or help of any kind is most welcome.

Thanks for reading.
    Auguste

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Hi guys,

New to this so here it goes! I have a half brother in Ireland somewhere and I would love to find him. Where on earth would I start?? He was adopted in late 70's early 80's

Any help would be great!

Have you tried the national adoption contact register?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 odinreln

Hi. I'm 28, I've known i was adopted since i can remember. I've never had any issues with it, and have always been very open about it, as have my siblings.

A couple of years ago i found my bm, and we have now met a few times. I've been taking it very slowly, and things are good. The last meeting was the nicest i think because we are getting more comfortable and conversations are just flowing nicely. But i still think the key for me, is taking months in between contact. It's helped me figure out my thoughts and feelings on the matter.

Will probably meet her parents next time. They are my dads age, which is kinda funny.

O

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sherrybell

Hi, I'm 28 and searching for my birth mother/family. Haven't gotten further than the contact preference register and writing to the board for my non-identifying information, as I have very few details and I'm not even sure if they are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wyyldfaery

I'm 24 and adopted..always known ive been adopted...just got a letter in the door from a social worker saying there are "relatives who want news of me"...this has caused interesting reactions from my parents...they literaly have ignored it and ive no idea what to do!! id love to find out more about my birth mother but dont know what to do now! I love my family...had the best life i could have asked for and im soo lucky and thankful that i was adopted into this family and not any other one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Wyyldfaery wrote: »
    I'm 24 and adopted..always known ive been adopted...just got a letter in the door from a social worker saying there are "relatives who want news of me"...this has caused interesting reactions from my parents...they literaly have ignored it and ive no idea what to do!! id love to find out more about my birth mother but dont know what to do now! I love my family...had the best life i could have asked for and im soo lucky and thankful that i was adopted into this family and not any other one!!!

God thats a hard one Wyyldfaery. You might want to try and sit your adopted parents down and talk it out with them. They are most probably in as much shock as you at the moment. You can only be honest with them and ask them to be as open with you as they can be. Have you rang the social worker back to find out more information? You could always exchange information with your BM (or whoever it is) for the moment and leave any face to face contact for a while. This would give your parents some time to get used to things too. I feel for you, its very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jerseylad

Hi all, I'm Paul and I am 43 years old. I was born in St Patrick's Home, Navan Road, Dublin 7 on the 14th December 1968. I was adopted by two fantastic people who have given me the best up-bringing I could have wanted. I have obtained non-identifying information about my birth and birth-mother and I'm about the start a search. I have registered with Cunamh for information and a trace, but the waiting list is about 3 years, I have also registered in the Contact Preference list, no 'Match' so far.

My brith-mother was 19 and her name was Ann. Her mother, Father and sister knew about my birth and as far as I can tell helped her with the adoption process. She I believe was from Dublin and my Birth-Father (Paddy) was 23 years old.

Don't know really why I putting this information on this forum or what I will get back. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ModeMadFan

Hi All,

I wanted to throw my tuppence worth in to the debate. I had dealing with a Social worker there when the office was in Haddington Road. Christine was her name and she was very nice and helpful. She found my birth Mother quite quickly but that was almost 15 years ago. I was told some things about my natural family like my parents married and had a number of siblings including twins. They said that there were not ready to meet as the children were wrong. As you all know there is that part of you like a jigsaw that is missing and will never go away until you get the answers you so crave. Anyway the weird thing is that I have asked a couple of Private Investigators to search for them and to date nothing. I've even gone into the Records office to try and trace the twins whom I believe, according to the information given to me, were born between 71-73. And Nothing!!

So now I am questioning everything I was told by Christine. Also I am questioning if my Mother came up with all this to throw people off the scent.

Like the other people I've found the marriage certificates of everyone with her name but again nothing.

I'm going to chance talking to Sister Francis who was really rude the last time I spoke to her about 18 months ago. I happened to phone when she was going on her holidays and she said she would ring back!! Nothing again.

I am so annoyed and frustrated that St Patrick's Guild have a file on me and I am not entitled to the information contained within it!! I know that's the way things are but it is so unfair to adopted people!!

I'll finish now before I explode and wish all who are searching the best of luck because I am now starting to question everything I was told about my natural family as every lead comes up as a dead end!!

Gary:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

Hi
    I was never officially adopted I was long term fostered with the same family since I was 6 months old. I am now 35 married with my own family.
    I have my original birth cert and know my birth mothers name. I now feel it is time for me to trace my family back ground I would love any information on what's the best way to go about this. I was born 09/11/1976 my name on my birth cert is Barry Martin and my mothers name is Mary

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

sean1976 wrote: »
    Hi
    I was never officially adopted I was long term fostered with the same family since I was 6 months old. I am now 35 married with my own family.
    I have my original birth cert and know my birth mothers name. I now feel it is time for me to trace my family back ground I would love any information on what's the best way to go about this. I was born 09/11/1976 my name on my birth cert is Barry Martin and my mothers name is Mary

Thanks

Hi Sean, the best thing to do would be to contact the HSE in your area and they can put you in contact with their adoption and fostering social workers. You ideally would like as much information from ther file as possible. I'm not sure if the same rules would apply as an adopted person, you may be entitled to alot more info than us. From there you could ask the social workers do a trace for you or you can take it on yourself. The first step to trace yourself would be a trip to the GRO research room to see if your BM married (using the info from your file to narrow down the area as much as possible)

You could check out the hse website and have a look at the not legally adopted for more info
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Children_and_Family_Services/Adoption_and_Tracing/Tracing_Services_/

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

tyview wrote: »
    sean1976 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

Hi Sean, the best thing to do would be to contact the HSE in your area and they can put you in contact with their adoption and fostering social workers. You ideally would like as much information from ther file as possible. I'm not sure if the same rules would apply as an adopted person, you may be entitled to alot more info than us. From there you could ask the social workers do a trace for you or you can take it on yourself. The first step to trace yourself would be a trip to the GRO research room to see if your BM married (using the info from your file to narrow down the area as much as possible)

You could check out the hse website and have a look at the not legally adopted for more info
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Children_and_Family_Services/Adoption_and_Tracing/Tracing_Services_/

Hope this helps

Hi thanks for that got not the she and have now sent off a foi form to gain access to. My file .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 PJD51

I am new to this

Not been on boards before, but have found it very informative.I also am a Bessboro baby, born November, 1951 to a young Cork girl who was deserted and abandoned by here family for being pregnant out of wedlock. I feel my story is different to majority of the babies born at Bessboro due to the determination of my birth mother, the intervention and empathy of June Goulding at that time and finally the publication of her very emotive book "THE LIGHT IN THE WINDOW",< which she had promised mum she would write> and I quote ;the only mother and baby I ever managed to get out of Bessboro were Molly and her little girl, Patricia. I am the little girl.

PJD

Advertisement