Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What pub to watch the <any sport> match in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi all. Rarely go to the pub for games but one of my mates just became a citizen so we're bringing him out to the match for his first time supporting as an Irishman.
    Any suggestions to good places showing it?
    Must have decent beer... Preferably Galway Hooker.. ;-)

Cheers
    HB

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I think the beirhaus just off dominick street usually shows games and i'd be surprised if the salthouse didn't show it as well, Both have a good selection of beers.

Dammit now i want a pint and to watch the game instead of work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Just rang the Bierhaus... they dont have Sky Sports :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Dunno if they have GH but if you're planning on going the west/dominck st area there's massimos & monroes that will have sky sports.

Most of the pubs in town will have it the match, foxes usually have some kind of promotion going which, in hindsight, might be a bad thing on a work night.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Just rang the Bierhaus... they dont have Sky Sports :(

I thought they did sorry, I'd still try salthouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring www.krcma.biz, NB page takes ages to load...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I thought they did sorry, I'd still try salthouse
    Salthouse usually only show big games, which tonight most definitely isnt, and they are more of a rugby pub given the NZ connections. The Roisin have Galway Hooker but never saw the tv on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I watched Liverpool v Newcastle in Róisín Dubh a couple of months ago on a tv in the front bar. I'm sure if you ask them they'll turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

Where is the main Liverpool supporters bar in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

User Named wrote: »
    Where is the main Liverpool supporters bar in the town?
    I usually hit The Sandon ;).

Seriously though, I don't know if there is an official Liverpool supporters bar in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Any pubs showing the United Spurs game? I know the country is rugby mad these days, just wondering if there's anywhere that you can watch the football on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Last time I was in Skeff they had rugby on the big screen and football up in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭deisecelt

HI, just wondering what the best place in galway city is to watch the celtic match is? Ill be over there next weekend and celtic winning the league most likely. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Monroes would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Hi Guys. Just happen to be in Galway city tonight and was just wondering if there was a bar that I could catch the Manchester United game tonight?

The problem is that its not on SKY so just looking for a place that may carry it live tonight.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pigman2000

Hi,
    Myself and a few more lads will be working in Galway over the first week of the euros. Just wondering where'd a good decent list of places to watch the matches?

Thanks!

P

pigman2000 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Myself and a few more lads will be working in Galway over the first week of the euros. Just wondering where'd a good decent list of places to watch the matches?

Thanks!

P
    Fagans, Garveys, Dew Drop, Busker Brownes to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Dew drop

• Skeff is usually a good spot for matches, Quays would be alright too.

Freenys for a more auld lad type pub or Fagans if you want a sports bar though the atmosphere wont be the same. Id say the skeff is as good a spot as any for a game to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Dew Drop and/or Buskers for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Looking for somewhere with good atmosphere etc for the Irish Euro games. Any suggestions ad any pubs doing offers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

are they going to put up a giant screen down by the docks for the irish matches and create a fan zone type area, i know other countries do this, even when they are not hosting or even participating in the tournament - it would draw a huge crowd and considering it's our first major tournament in 10 years it would be nice if they made some kind of effort

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

donfers wrote: »
    are they going to put up a giant screen down by the docks for the irish matches and create a fan zone type area, i know other countries do this, even when they are not hosting or even participating in the tournament - it would draw a huge crowd and considering it's our first major tournament in 10 years it would be nice if they made some kind of effort

not being smart, but who are you referring to when you say "they"?

Mactard wrote: »
    not being smart, but who are you referring to when you say "they"?
    City council i assume. I was in Portugal during the 2010 World Cup and the fanzone in Faro was class, watched Brazil v Portugal in the sun with a few beers and a great atmosphere between the 2 sets of fans. Its something we should have here but its not likely now or ever really.

Doubtful with the amount of rain Galway gets in the Summer. Would be a waste of money when everybody will be watching indoors anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Doubtful with the amount of rain Galway gets in the Summer. Would be a waste of money when everybody will be watching indoors anyways.
    You could say the same about the events down the docks for the Ocean Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Jim wrote: »
    You could say the same about the events down the docks for the Ocean Race.
    Except nobody will watch the Ocean Race on TV, hundreds of thousands will be down the docks for it.

It's actually completely different to the Volvo. Everybody will be down for the music and the boats as they know from last time what happens. You want a screen there for the matches which there'll be a few days gap for the Ireland matches. They'll hardly want to show the Greek matches will they? The Volvo runs for a week together. Traffic would be lethal if they put a screen down there and surely it's too late at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Only reason I brought up the Volvo was because you said the rain wouldn't make it worth it. Otherwise, no, it's not the same. But a big screen would still be a good idea imo if they set it up properly. Doesn't matter if there was gaps. What's wrong with showing the other matches anyway?

But yea, probably not being planned or going to happen at this stage. Still a nice idea I think. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Dew Drop has the best TV and audio set up in any of the pubs in Galway by a massive stretch IMO. 3 or 4 large flat screen TV's in full HD. The Sky Sports HD looks fantastic in there and I think RTE will be showing the matches on RTE 2 HD.

And its a fairly lively and atmospheric pub too into the bargain. It would definitely be my first choice if I wasn't going to be in Poland :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement