Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 1: Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Spiced Up Mac & Cheese

• 11-01-2013 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the 2013 Cooking Club! Given it's January and everyone is back on the proverbial wagon, I did toy with the idea of doing a healthy recipe this week. And then I thought "Screw it, January is miserable enough", and went with pure comfort food - so, ladies and gents, I give you Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Spiced Up Mac & Cheese :)

580452_10151607207867678_39988759_n.jpg

I pretty much always serve these two dishes together, but the chicken would also be great with green beans & mash, or sweet potato fries. Likewise, the mac & cheese is more than hearty enough to stand alone as a main.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken - serves 4

4 large or 6 small chicken fillets
    350ml buttermilk
    1 stick celery, roughly chopped
    1 small onion, quartered
    4 cloves garlic, halved lengthways
    1 red chilli, roughly chopped
    Tbs fresh thyme leaves
    2 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tsp paprika
    100g flour
    Salt & pepper.

1. In a large bowl, mix the buttermilk, celery, onion, garlic, chili, a teaspoon each of the paprika & cayenne and plenty of salt & pepper. Add the chicken, give it a good stir, then cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for as long as you have - overnight is best, but certainly no less than four hours. Give it another stir every so often.

(The more eagle-eyed among you will notice that I've used a habanero rather than a red chilli in the pic - this is actually a great way to use up the random scotch bonnets and habaneros you always end up with at the end of those multi-packs of chillies. Just leave it whole and score it rather than chopping it if you are using one of these, as they're really hot.)

318036_10151607207737678_569315840_n.jpg

2. In a large, shallow dish, mix the flour with the rest of the paprika & cayenne and more salt & pepper. Remove the chicken from the milk with a tongs, shake off any excess liquid and dredge through the seasoned flour until completely covered - give it a good shove with the tongs to make sure you get into all the nooks & crannies. Don't worry if there's any thyme leaves or big lumps of pepper stuck to the chicken, it all adds to the flavour.

541806_10151607207802678_1742510463_n.jpg

3. Heat a couple of inches of sunflower oil (don't use olive, it's too strong and with too low a smoke-point) in a large, deep pan until piping hot. Fry the chicken two or three pieces at a time, allowing about 6 minutes per side. Handle very carefully when removing from the pan so that you don't knock off all your lovely, crispy coating. Leave to rest on a warmed platter lined with kitchen towels while you're cooking the other pieces.

Spiced Up Mac & Cheese - serves 4

300g pasta
    250g grated strong cheese such as a really mature Cheddar, Leicester or Gloucester
    30g flour
    30g butter
    600ml milk
    3 tbs Frank's Red Hot Sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp chilli powder
    0.5 tsp garlic granules
    Salt & pepper

1. Cook the pasta until just slightly underdone & drain. Stick the same pot back on the heat, allow to dry, then make a roux by melting the butter, then adding the flour and cooking for a good 5 minutes, stirring all the time. (I usually just nick 30g of the seasoned flour that I'm going to use for the chicken.)

582495_10151607207757678_366079333_n.jpg

2. In a jug or bowl, mix the milk, cayenne, chili powder, hot sauce, garlic granules and salt & pepper. Whisk into the roux a little at a time, then bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.

538620_10151607207787678_715285991_n.jpg

3. Stir the pasta back into the sauce (add a little of the cooking water if your sauce is too thick), pour into a shallow dish & bake in an oven preheated to 200C until golden & bubbling - about 30 minutes.

182182_10151607207837678_1233123151_n.jpg

Serve with the chicken and a spinach & coriander salad.

227740_10151607207872678_1631088068_n.jpg

I hope this is a worthy kick-off to the 2013 Cooking Club - all feedback is welcome - good, bad or indifferent!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I thought we weren't starting until next week. What a nice surprise this morning!

I'll definitely be making that chicken soon :D. I'd love to make the mac and cheese but my OH absolutely hates cheese :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I want to eat this now! This is almost the same as my mac and cheese recipe except without the hot sauce :D

I don't usually deep/shallow fry stuff in oil either, as I hate the smell in the house for days after :rolleyes: It looks delicious though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Oh Cooking Club how i have missed you.

Well there's Saturdays Dinner sorted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

irishbird wrote: »
    Oh Cooking Club how i have missed you.

Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Ohhhhhh my lord god all the saints and the little baby jesus in heaven I have been *seriously* craving mac & cheese. My sister is coming for dinner on Sunday and I think we will be eating this

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

irishbird wrote: »
    Snap! Will definitely be reporting back at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Great start to the New Year, well done! Definitely give this a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Looks great! I'll be giving that chicken a go for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Regarding the frying part, I assume a standard tefal frying pan is too shalow. Would a deep saucepan do the trick or would something like a wok be ok?

Also, is this pretty much the KFC recipe (except with actual chicken)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

faith wrote:
    I'd love to make the mac and cheese but my OH absolutely hates cheese :(.

Divorce! It's the only way. :pac:

Sounds scrumptious. Will defo try. However will make the small adjustment of loading even more cheese on top of the pasta before baking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have been meaning to try the buttermilk/chicken combo for a while. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Looks amazing! Pure comfort is right. Will definitely be making these.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made the mac and cheese! I added in a couple of chopped mushrooms and lardons (in operation 'use contents of fridge') and didn't have Franks hot sauce so used some hot chilli sauce instead. It wasn't uber hot, but think it added a nice bite. Would make again.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Looks good. Funnily enough, we decided to make fried chicken for tge first time last night. Would have used your recipe if we waited. Liked ours too though.

I'll give the mac and cheese a go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I bought ten chicken fillets this week. I'll be dead by the end of next week. That looks gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Want to make so much. Damn you diet damn you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Regarding the frying part, I assume a standard tefal frying pan is too shalow. Would a deep saucepan do the trick or would something like a wok be ok?

Also, is this pretty much the KFC recipe (except with actual chicken)?

I've done this in a standard pan and a wok. Just don't overload the pan if you're using a shallow one and it should be fine. And obviously, don't wander off to watch tv or anything while it's cooking! You literally only need an inch or two of oil, the chicken doesn't need to be submerged or anything.

As for the KFC recipe, I really couldn't say; I have no idea what they put in theirs. I don't think they marinate their chicken in anything, though, I'm pretty sure the "dry" chicken goes straight into whatever coating they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Chicken is marinading right now, been in since about 3, hopefully to cook about 7.

We picked up some "extra mature" cheddar cheese and Macaroni pasta, looking forward to this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have my chicken marinating in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner - can't wait :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So I had my colleague and his two boys around for dinner - this went down a treat. I have a small portion of leftover macaroni and one chicken breast (I made five) which will make a damn fine chicken sandwich tomorrow.

I cooked the chicken for just a little less time than the recipe called for; I really hate overcooked chicken. This was done to perfection, still mouthwateringly juicy but still cooked through. The coating is delicious.

Great start to the year - bravo!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just finished this now - it was delicious. will definitely cook again.

fantastic start to the year.

here's our photo - vegetarian on the left meat on the right :). we had it with a rocket salad

20130112_200328_zps22da5b01.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had the chicken with baked potatoes and coleslaw. It was delicious, everyone loved it, and I'll be making the mac and cheese one of these days!
    jubdch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My mouth is watering at this! Definately will try the chicken recipe sooner or later- have to see if we have chicken fillets in the freezer.
    I also love mac and cheese- chock full of carbs but I honestly don't care! This looks GOOD! *thumbs up*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had this for dinner on Saturday and Sunday night. Went with mashed potato on Saturday but made the whole lot on Sunday. Absolutely delicious. The chicken breasts are so tender and juicy. Bit of a kick off the M&C, even though I only used the cayenne (no chilli), but it was still beautiful.

Thanks OP

DSC_0181r.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Oops, forgot to mention that if your chicken breasts are very large, butterfly them before they go into the milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I love mac n cheese but finding it a bit boring lately, this spiced up version looks great though, will be trying that out on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I love buttermilk fried chicken, I've been cooking a version of that recipe for a few years now, but I never put the aromatics in the buttermilk like that, I'll definitely be trying that. I do find though that if you're going to do the shallow-fried versions (which isn't a tablespoon of oil in the pan for anyone who's not done this before, it's enough oil to come about half to two-thirds of the way up the chicken; it's better than deep-frying because the excess water vapour has a way to get away and the crust adheres to the chicken better as a result), and especially if you hate the smell of oil and frying in the house, use shortening instead of a liquid oil. It's a lot more refined so you don't get the smell as bad, and it's still as tasty - just let it melt down from its usual solid state to liquid at a low-medium heat, then increase the heat to do the frying (instead of just throwing large blocks of shortening into a searing hot pan, which would burn the shortening too fast).

Oh, and this is not the KFC recipe -- not because they have secret herbs or spices (they don't, it's all the same as we use here - salt, pepper, thyme, sage, parsey, etc, etc), but because they have a bit of cooking equipment that most homes don't have (and which I don't think you can even buy unless you're a restaurant), namely a pressure frier (a cross between a pressure cooker and a deep fat frier). Honestly though? This recipe's tastier :) The marinade on the chicken and the spices in the coating make it a lot tastier than KFC (pressure cooking anything, and pressure frying too, dulls the flavours of the food).

edit: Oh, and if you don't eat all of this at once (and that's very rare), store it in the fridge in a paper cup or on a paper plate or in a paper bag. The paper wicks away any excess oil and keeps it crunchier for longer. And it's lovely cold too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Forgot to take a picture until it was almost completely finished

236295.jpg

The above shows three contrasting pieces. This was my first time cooking anything this way, so was really unsure about what setting to use on my cooker. The one that looks burned was the tastiest, whereas the one with the skin falling off was put in when I thought the oil for burned one was too hot, so turned it down.

Made it for my two housemates and all enjoyed it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Who needs a snack box/chipper when we have tCC?

Very inviting photos above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Second attempt at the mac and cheese is now in the oven. I don't know what I did wrong first time, but it ended up lumpy :( And I'm usually good at making sauces! Second time worked perfectly though and it smells lovely. Saving the chicken to try another time.

Advertisement