Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Apparently 5 laptops were robbed from the BLU within an hour on Thursday (according to a tweet...) which is absolutely crap.
    It's quite easy for non-TCD students to get into the library anyway, it's not like there's retinal scanning. I've often walked into the BLU without even flashing my student card properly, so...

I often leave my laptop unattended if I'm just popping down to the bathroom, or to grab a drink/ coffee/ whatever, but some people really do take the piss. I've seen people leaving their laptops unattended in the 24hour overnight, which is actually just really stupid.

People (strangers included like) have asked me to keep an eye on their laptops while they head off, which I think is a really good approach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I read that tweet as well. When the library was opening in the morning the attendants made a point of telling people to watch their stuff, usually they don't say anything. They had extra signs up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Great posters too.

"I could be robbing you right now! Love the laptop bandit!!!!!!!!!!!!" with a picture from clipart of an evil looking robber in a stripy top.

Ireland's Premier University.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HistoryGirl22

Stop giving UCD such a hard time. It's getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Stop giving UCD such a hard time. It's getting old.

I used to go to UCD and laptops used to get stolen from the library there. Just stating a fact.

If it makes you happy, I did find the library facilities better there. Toilets are 'in' the library there! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Larianne wrote: »
    If it makes you happy, I did find the library facilities better there. Toilets are 'in' the library there! :eek:

There are toilets in the Lecky*, you picked the wrong subject area :P

*said toilets may not be clean...ever...

There are toilets in the Lecky*, you picked the wrong subject area :P

*said toilets may not be clean...ever...

Hammo ones ain't shiny clean either! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

If people are leaving laptops unattended for longer than a few minutes, I don't know why anyone is surprised they are being robbed. You wouldn't leave your wallet with 500 euros sitting on your desk, would you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I saw one on a desk on Friday. It wasn't near any books, a bag, notes or a charger. Baffling, just sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

If people are leaving laptops unattended for longer than a few minutes, I don't know why anyone is surprised they are being robbed. You wouldn't leave your wallet with 500 euros sitting on your desk, would you?

This ^^. Your laptop is worth hundreds of euro - leaving it unattended is just too much temptation for some other Library users. Don't be naive - you wouldn't leave it unattended in the Buttery or in the Pav - the Library is no safer from opportunistic thieves.

This article appeared a couple of years ago in a UCD student newspaper after a spate of laptop thefts.

> **Gravity Reigns Unchecked in James Joyce Library**
    >
    > **by Hamish Hack**
    >
    > Following last month's shock revelations that valuable items left
    > lying around in the library have been stolen, the College Tribune can
    > now report that personal possessions dropped in the same building have
    > been tumbling to the floor.
    >
    > Amanda Airhead, a 3rd year arts student, says: "Yeah, I threw my
    > mobile phone towards my friend ten feet away and it fell down and
    > smashed. When I spoke to the library authorities, they just said it
    > was my own fault and refused to refund me.
    >
    > Brendan Bolshie, Student's Union Rent-A-Quote, said: "It's
    > disgraceful. We imagine the library is a safe environment and then
    > this happens. Whenever we complain, they come out with all this
    > fascist nonsense about personal responsibility. Also, the library
    > hasn't been vocal enough in its condemnation of the Iraq War."
    >
    > Next month: Student jumps down stairs in JJL and breaks leg due to
    > library negligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Repeating myself here but, jesus christ, people (mainly 1st meds) don't seem to realise that people use the computer rooms to do work and not blare youtube videos around the room and give people google maps tours of their home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My heart sinks every time I see a certain group of pharmacy students come into the east end computer rooms. They genuinely do not know how to STFU

Jammyc wrote: »
    Repeating myself here but, jesus christ, people (mainly 1st meds) don't seem to realise that people use the computer rooms to do work and not blare youtube videos around the room and give people google maps tours of their home town.

I tell them to stfu! No tolerence to that shít any more. I look forward to doing it in 3 weeks time!

Emailed an academic in the UK re her publication list, didn't really answer my question...just good luck with my dissertation. Ah well, the good wishes are no harm anyway (currently hiding from the lit review >.<).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

Sick of:

smell of the library toilets on a consistent basis

Girls hogging mirrors in bathrooms to do their 'make-up'

no plugs in the library

Feckin freezin in the Berekley (or wherever the hell I was!) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Larianne wrote: »
    Feckin freezin in the Berekley (or wherever the hell I was!) :mad:

I noticed they turned the air con on in the Lecky a few weeks ago to drive us out before closing at the weekend. Perfectly fine at 2pm, arctic after 3pm...

bscm wrote: »
    I noticed they turned the air con on in the Lecky a few weeks ago to drive us out before closing at the weekend. Perfectly fine at 2pm, arctic after 3pm...

This was at 12 noon. Freezin so I was. Headed down to the Hammo dungeon computers and they didn't even warm me up proper! :(

The OPUB section of the Berkeley often seems cold.

Black Oil wrote: »

The what now?

I was in the psychology section. Won't be going back there. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Black Oil wrote: »

Coldest place in college I think. Oh the memories of studying there in December...:(

I'm getting sick of IE crashing on the college computers. Not even just in the AB, it's happened a few times in the Hamilton too.

Coldest place in college I think. Oh the memories of studying there in December...:(

I'm getting sick of IE crashing on the college computers. Not even just in the AB, it's happened a few times in the Hamilton too.
    Use Firefox, I've never had it crash on me

OPUB is the first floor of the Berkeley - white papers, government, OECD documents, etc.

Re toilets, saw a tourist leave the Berkeley ones as soon as she got the smell (opening the middle black door).

If you were my earphones case where would you be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Having a very hard time deciding what moderatorship to pick for next year.. I knew this was coming so why is it so difficult?! :/:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I have literally nothing to write for an assignment that's due tomorrow... It's taken me 20 minutes just to define the question, and I still can't think of any points whatsover. And I'll have to do a similar exercise in the exam in under 2 hours. *cries and bangs head off table*.

Need to finish off a presentation but the procrastination is mighty. MIGHTY I tell you! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Damn, I have a lot of work to do. Is it just me or does it seem like the second half of this semester is very very very short?

Having a very hard time deciding what moderatorship to pick for next year.. I knew this was coming so why is it so difficult?! :/:(
    I think I'm fairly happy with my first choice, but I have no idea what to put after it. I wish we had more time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Lawliet wrote: »
    I think I'm fairly happy with my first choice, but I have no idea what to put after it. I wish we had more time...

Hopefully you'll get your first choice and won't need anything after! I have two top choices and can't for the life of me pick one.. definitely need more time.
    I've to decide really quickly though, there's a trip for Geography so they need to know in the next day or two if i'm going :/ Anyone want to make it for me?? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

whatever moron decided to put my 'summer' exams the two days before and three days after Paddy's weekend should be strung up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement