Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weightwatchers

Options
  • 05-04-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of going to weightwatchers in waterford city there are 2 options one in the waterford bridge club and the other in arkeen shopping centre.

Which would have younger people going to them as I want to be around people my own age group?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Without sounding derogotary (spelling...) my girl friend was with weightwatchers on and off for ages and didnt find it great. She join waterford weight loss motivation clinic and lost three stone and still goin. Its not cheap but its one to one no groups or anything , she swears by it and it makes her happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

Why dont you save your money and just have a look at the fitness form on here. Loads of info on there adout diets and training. What you should and shouldnt eat. You dont have to be a bodybuilder like some on there just any exercise that you like and as often as you like. At the end you get out of it what you put into it and keep your will power up!

It will save you a few bob with the other rip off services,

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Hi Vampireskiss,
    I'm not a big believer in WeightWatchers and that industry to be honest. Only benefit I can see is that you are in a community of others who have similar goals, so it more of a feel good factor that others are in the same boat as yourself.

But from observation and listening to others I would try below for 1 month and see does it work:

(1) First off I would give up Chinese, really not good food. I noticed the Chinese Food thread you started after this one. :)
    (2) Grab a friend and go for a nice long hour walk 2-3 times week. If you are with someone you would be surprised how quickly time passes when you are chatting. If you cant get a friend to go 2-3 times, get 2 or 3 friends and get one to go different evenings.
    (3) Start writing down what you eat and start cutting things out. Replace Diet Coke and that stuff with diluted orange or something.
    (4) keep something like chocolate to a treat once a week.
    (5) Circuit Training is really good, dont be put off thinking it is military regrime, you dont have to do all stations and can adjust to suit yourself. This girl who does a tuesday and thursday nights at 7pm in the Ursuline girls school is really good. Also it is normally to be aching after the first 2 weeks, just means you body is adjusting and getting used to something. You will feel like crap doing it but will feel great afterwards.

Easy for me to say above, but it does work.....well I think so anyhow.
    Also ONLY shop after you have eaten then you will be less likely to buy bad foods.

Just my 2 cents
    Best of luck

BFG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

As Billy Connolly said "Eat less, move more"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I have found Weight Watchers and Unislim good when I bothered going but the worst place by far was the motivational weight loss clinic I went to, not the Waterford one.

It was just a hard sell to buy their meal replacements and snacks that were very expensive for what they were. I've read similar on other forums from people who've experienced the same thing.

I'm expecting delivery of a threadmill this week and once Easter is over I'm going to get back on track.

I have found that if I plan my meals and write down everything I eat on a tracker sheet then I have a better weight loss plus I'm able to plan for the occasional meal out and choose healthier options.

I've a friend who wants to shift some weight so we can encourage each other. I'm not going to go back to WW as they're charging a hell of a lot more here than they do in the UK, at least double.

The best success I had and the easiest diet to follow was with Slimming Magazine Clubs in the UK when I lived in London. It was very flexible and healthy with allowances for treats. There wasn't any banned food or drink. Typical I got to target weight and concieved my son 3 days later. I've still got the diet sheets so will follow that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

I've been to both of those WW classes and they both have young and old going to them. There's a great variety in ages so you won't find one class with more young people than another. The class leader in the Bridge Club in Thomas' Hill is way better than the one at Ardkeen though so if weren't tied to any particular day I'd choose the Bridge Club class. Best of luck with it, it definitely works if you stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The OP didn't want a bloody lecture lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

can't give you any advice on which would be better, but best of luck with it vampirekiss....

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I am thinking of going to weightwatchers in waterford city there are 2 options one in the waterford bridge club and the other in arkeen shopping centre.

Which would have younger people going to them as I want to be around people my own age group?

All it takes is a little nutritional knowledge and some will power. If you are undertaking exercise, please be careful and do not undertake any over-strenuous activity until you build an initial base of fitness. If you require detailed info please PM me. To the person, who suggested a treadmill- yes treadmills do have their place but present the very real danger of lowering your basal metabolic rate - the calories you burn at rest. Resistance training will offset this and ensure a nice physique without the bulky muscle that women are so often afraid of gaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

both have a mix, ive been to both those this year, the bridgeclub and am now using the ardkeen one and im close to loosing 2 stone now till i reach my pre-baby weight...

realistically if you really want to loose weight you can and should do it,no matter who goes to the meetings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Hi there just read the thread and everyones offering good advice...

Baronflyguy is basically telling u what weightwatchers is without the adding of points... ??Im 20 and iv been in WW since august and am Three n half stone down... I no its not very quick but it works and you really do notice the diff...In my class there is a mix of old and young and everyone really do try and help. Weight loss is a lifestyle change it aint suppose to be easy!!! But i have found WW the most beneficial by far and the benefits are really noticeable...my appearance and fitness levels..!!

Good luck in the future I hope you pick something that is right for you ;) xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Weightwatchers is ok but its fundamentally flawed. There is no emphasis on exercise which very often is the single variable in a person having a BMI that classifies them as overweight (when they don't even look it) and a BMI that places them in normal range. Secondly, the points system (by means of an impressively simplified calorie system) simply causes you to adjust your caloric intake without really looking at the type of calories you take in. Conceivably if your daily limit is say, 150 points and each Mars bar is worth 50, under weightwatchers guidelines you could be within the rules by surviving on three daily Mars bars which is not good. A ridiculous example but you get the point. This is not to say weightwatchers does not work but there are far better methods to achieve your weight goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

get a bike and come cycling with us on sundays? theres normally a group that meet at the bookcenter at about 12/1

Weightwatchers is ok but its fundamentally flawed. There is no emphasis on exercise which very often is the single variable in a person having a BMI that classifies them as overweight (when they don't even look it) and a BMI that places them in normal range. Secondly, the points system (by means of an impressively simplified calorie system) simply causes you to adjust your caloric intake without really looking at the type of calories you take in. Conceivably if your daily limit is say, 150 points and each Mars bar is worth 50, under weightwatchers guidelines you could be within the rules by surviving on three daily Mars bars which is not good. A ridiculous example but you get the point. This is not to say weightwatchers does not work but there are far better methods to achieve your weight goals.

I agree with you from the point of view that it is a curtailed system and yes it falls short in the areas you have highlighted. But studying and working in the exercise industry, I have to welcome any system that attempts to get people out of the house and doing something about the growing problem of obesity. It has become an epidemic and there is a sea of misinformation out there as to how best to lose weight. Weightwatchers is far from the best method to do this for the reasons you have highlighted and in addition is not conducive to long term goals, but it is a start and better that people are doing something than nothing. Thats my two cents :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Weightwatchers is ok but its fundamentally flawed. There is no emphasis on exercise

there is an emphasis on excercise, but come on! do adults have to be TOLD to excercise? I thought everyone knew excercise+proper eating = weight loss (simple really)

michellie wrote: »
    there is an emphasis on excercise, but come on! do adults have to be TOLD to excercise? I thought everyone knew excercise+proper eating = weight loss (simple really)

Yeah sometimes. Absolutely. I am shocked at the general lack of knowledge of the public. Lately all I see around Waterford is women, many of whom are significantly overweight out running and doing imeasurable damage to their knee joints and basically running any muscle mass they happen to have, right off themselves. This alone is evidence enough of what not to do. Not only are these women damaging their knees through running, they are inflicting additional damage because their joints are not designed to withstand the additional body weight they're dragging around. Me see's problems in later life for these people. Is Weightwatchers the cause of all of this? Probably not but most certainly some. Everyone who is into fat loss knows the most efficient method is skewed toward 75% weight training, 25% non-impact cardio yet the good folk down at Weightwatchers are either not privy to this info (they are uninformed) or they are retaining the best methods for themselves. This really drives me up the wall because people who enrol on these courses are paying an arm and a leg to be sold short. And even if you don't agree with my exercise opinion you can't for one minute argue that I am wrong about the WW nutritional approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

any overweight/unfit person who decides to take up exercise should be encouraged not filled with ridulous scarmongery like the above

if you burn off more calories then you consume you will lose weight
    if people want to run/swim/walk whatever its all good
    the winter league is a shining example of people taking part with a common goal of weight loss and increased fitness
    or should people below a certain weight only be allowed take part???

the alleged future joint damage that may or may not occur would be vastly outweighed by the immediate benefits including reducing the risk of heart disease and diabeties

while there is a place for weight training i beleive for the average "weight watcher" it should be as simple as "eat less move more"
    people need to get active and not be told you have to lift weights for 75% of your training time something that a lot of women simply will not stick with.
    remember this thread is about weightwatchers

SUNGOD wrote: »
    any overweight/unfit person who decides to take up exercise should be encouraged not filled with ridulous scarmongery like the above

if you burn off more calories then you consume you will lose weight
    if people want to run/swim/walk whatever its all good
    the winter league is a shining example of people taking part with a common goal of weight loss and increased fitness
    or should people below a certain weight only be allowed take part???

the alleged future joint damage that may or may not occur would be vastly outweighed by the immediate benefits including reducing the risk of heart disease and diabeties

while there is a place for weight training i beleive for the average "weight watcher" it should be as simple as "eat less move more"
    people need to get active and not be told you have to lift weights for 75% of your training time something that a lot of women simply will not stick with.
    remember this thread is about weightwatchers

You make some very good points but I'm certainly not scaremongering. This is real science.

Yeah sometimes. Absolutely. I am shocked at the general lack of knowledge of the public. Lately all I see around Waterford is women, many of whom are significantly overweight out running and doing imeasurable damage to their knee joints and basically running any muscle mass they happen to have, right off themselves. This alone is evidence enough of what not to do. Not only are these women damaging their knees through running, they are inflicting additional damage because their joints are not designed to withstand the additional body weight they're dragging around. Me see's problems in later life for these people. Is Weightwatchers the cause of all of this? Probably not but most certainly some. Everyone who is into fat loss knows the most efficient method is skewed toward 75% weight training, 25% non-impact cardio yet the good folk down at Weightwatchers are either not privy to this info (they are uninformed) or they are retaining the best methods for themselves. This really drives me up the wall because people who enrol on these courses are paying an arm and a leg to be sold short. And even if you don't agree with my exercise opinion you can't for one minute argue that I am wrong about the WW nutritional approach.

To be fair everything your saying is true. Only thing is, it's not realistic for most people to weight train to that extent (well it is but most don't want to!). I think a 50/50 split would be more tolerable with the person making a concerted effort to get off the road and onto the grass/track for their running. Nutrition is vital in this regard as a healthy diet will guard against inflammed joints and will also strengthen the muscles in the body by providing all the right nutrients. I've seen many people out running too and it worries me but I'll have to go back to my original point that some work is better than none and also SUNGOD makes a good point about diabetes etc. so the overall benefit is obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 billythekid20

yeaz are obese and need to drink water fruit and vegetables :) . . eat all weightwatchers products and eat as less points as possible through the day :)

go gym 3 times a week :)

trust me guys it works :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jgb1106

Hi
    I also love the slimming magazine diet but have now lost my copy of the slimming magazine club diet sheets. Would you be willing to send me a copy? Happy to play cost. Please let me know

deisemum wrote: »
    I have found Weight Watchers and Unislim good when I bothered going but the worst place by far was the motivational weight loss clinic I went to, not the Waterford one.

It was just a hard sell to buy their meal replacements and snacks that were very expensive for what they were. I've read similar on other forums from people who've experienced the same thing.

I'm expecting delivery of a threadmill this week and once Easter is over I'm going to get back on track.

I have found that if I plan my meals and write down everything I eat on a tracker sheet then I have a better weight loss plus I'm able to plan for the occasional meal out and choose healthier options.

I've a friend who wants to shift some weight so we can encourage each other. I'm not going to go back to WW as they're charging a hell of a lot more here than they do in the UK, at least double.

The best success I had and the easiest diet to follow was with Slimming Magazine Clubs in the UK when I lived in London. It was very flexible and healthy with allowances for treats. There wasn't any banned food or drink. Typical I got to target weight and concieved my son 3 days later. I've still got the diet sheets so will follow that.

jgb1106 wrote: »
    Hi
    I also love the slimming magazine diet but have now lost my copy of the slimming magazine club diet sheets. Would you be willing to send me a copy? Happy to play cost. Please let me know

Is it the Flexi one you want? most people do that one.

Yeah the flexi one, it was just a booklet if I remember correctly :)

Is it the Flexi one you want? most people do that one.

Yeah the flexi one, it was just a booklet if I remember correctly :)

Ok, I'll have a look for it later.

excellent, thanks much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DAISY9988

I have lost my copy of the slmming magazine diet sheet the flexi diet i would love a copy would be willing to pay for the postage

Many thanks

Ok, I'll have a look for it later.

Hi deisemum, wonder if you have had any join locating the flexi diet??

So hopeful!
    jgb1106:)

Hi deisemum, wonder if you have had any join locating the flexi diet??

So hopeful!
    jgb1106:)

I haven't forgotten, I just cannot find it at the moment. We're doing a bit of a clearout and it's in a bag, I just have to find the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DAISY9988

Keeping everything crossed that you will the bag with the diet sheet

Very hopeful

• Advertisement

I found it just now but have to go out in a few mins so will copy it later this afternoon.

Advertisement