Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Gas

• 03-03-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I notice that Bord Gas and Airtricity say that they can reduce my electricity bill, by sinificant ammounts. Is this true and if so what are the drawbacks.

Second question, where does Our gas com from?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I switched to Bord Gais last year. The savings are noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭thebiglad

FrancisF wrote: »
    I notice that Bord Gas and Airtricity say that they can reduce my electricity bill, by sinificant ammounts. Is this true and if so what are the drawbacks.

Second question, where does Our gas com from?

No drawbacks and what does it matter where the gas comes from - there is only 1 supply, regardless of who bills you.

You get best value with Bord Gais if you are a joint Gas & Leccy customer.

You will save 10%-14% (this excludes the standing charge), sign up, simple, nothing to lose.

If ESB reduce their costs, BG reduce theirs in line and so you cannot lose - in 1 year when the deal starts to taper off, look at the market again and move again if necessary. There is no physical change, just the ownership of your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I wonder if there is one drawback in this. A few years ago I moved my phone account from Eircom to an independant. That was fine, with significant savings, but the lines were owned by Eircom, so if anything went wrong with them I had to phone the independant who then issued a repair order to Eircom. So, instead of getting a fix within a day or so it now took at least a week. Is that likely to occur if you change to An Bord Gais?

I guess it much less likely you will need a call out from ESB than Eircom though. Generally it is a local fault and call your own electrician anyhow

The major stuff will affect multiple addresses and will be a spread of BG & ESB customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

ART6 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is one drawback in this. A few years ago I moved my phone account from Eircom to an independant. That was fine, with significant savings, but the lines were owned by Eircom, so if anything went wrong with them I had to phone the independant who then issued a repair order to Eircom. So, instead of getting a fix within a day or so it now took at least a week. Is that likely to occur if you change to An Bord Gais?

If you ring either Airtricity, Bord Gáis or ESB customer care, they'll all tell you to call ESB Networks, or ESB Supply or something like that (not sure of the exact title). No matter who you are with, all faults are dealt with by that single branch of the ESB so you get the same faults service whoever you are with.

I changed to Bord Gáis in June and cannot fault it in any way. There are only benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ART6 wrote: »

As number10a was saying, all faults are handled by ESB networks, a different company to the one you pay your bill to. You pay ESB customer supply at the moment. Part of the bill goes to esb networks to maintain the networks. This same part will be on a bord gais, or airtricity bill.

When you do have a power cut, you ring esb networks 1850 372 999. You give them your MPRN and that tells them your address so they no you have no supply. It doesnt tell them who you pay your bill too. Hope thats nice and clear :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FrancisF

I have to agree with the Eircom statement, I know of more than one company that has not come to Ireland citing Eircom as the main reason. They call it's hold on the market as unreasonable, but in most circumstances they say that they don't even get calls returned.

I ask about where Irish gas comes from purely out of interest. Does it come from the Corrib or does it come from the Ukraine, where supplys have been cut in the past?

I found it hard to see how much I would save when I switched to Bord Gas in that they just quote a percentage, so I don't know if they just behave like the mobile phone companies or the airlines, if want to actually tralvel it is an extra.

FrancisF wrote: »
    I found it hard to see how much I would save when I switched to Bord Gas in that they just quote a percentage, so I don't know if they just behave like the mobile phone companies or the airlines, if want to actually travel it is an extra.

It is simple...

Look at your ESB bill, remove the standing charge element and then apply the appropriate BG percentage to the remainder - this is your saving.

BG guarantee they will keep their unit rate at that same percentage below ESB unit rates for 1 year - then it reduces (which is also outlined by them) - at this point, look around again.

Again, who cares whether it is from West Coast or Ukraine - there is effectively only 1 supplier, all the companies are not going to put in their own gas supply lines or power grids.

Posters in this thread have told you several times you will save, all of us posting on this thread are consumers too and have made the switch without issue - we are not going to be able to tell you whether the power is produced by 12 year olds in a mine in Ukraine and frankly, BG does not claim to supply an ethical product. You flick a switch and the lights come on, not sure how this compares to Airlines pricing:confused:

Just sign up - you are guaranteed to save, whether that saving is worth 5 minutes of your time is the only question you need ask.

Advertisement