Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Last night's trade made me laugh. Imagine how weird it must have been for Ichiro. Going to the same ball park he's been going to for years but going into the visitors dressing room instead. I didn't see any of the highlights yet. How did the crowd react when he came to the plate?

Classy :cool:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23295039&topic_id=8877494&c_id=mlb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

They've lost a lot more than just any old 38 year old batting .260

I can understand the baseball logic behind the trade, they want to get something back for him given that his contract is up at the end of the season and he'll be too old/expensive to re-sign.

But it's Ichiro...
    What he's brings back in merchandising, seat sales, what he means to the teams history, fan morale etc. is all worth a lot more than the two nobodies (a little harsh but not far from the truth) he brought back. Is it really that hard to just keep him around for another two months?

It's not like he was taking playing time away from some budding superstar. Even with his un-Ichiro like stat line in the past two years, he's still been one of the Mariners better players, and that's not to mention his defence.

I can understand it, but I don't agree with it.
    Yea, I don get it either, he is he face of he franchise hence my surprise. Apparently he asked for the trade to in his words help the Mariners build for the future. If thats the case surely the Mariners management could have created a market for him and got some better prospects in return :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yes, a very classy reaction

The Mariners seem good fans

When Philip Humber threw a perfect game for the White Sox earlier this season he was applauded off the field by the Seattle fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Looks like Hanley's off to LA.

The Marlins back to their usual selves and breaking up teams although I didn't expect it to happen just 4 months into this new era.

It could be back to playing baseball in empty stadiums for Miami if this fire sale continues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

New lease of life for him?

• Advertisement

Looks like Hanley's off to LA.

The Marlins back to their usual selves and breaking up teams although I didn't expect it to happen just 4 months into this new era.

It could be back to playing baseball in empty stadiums for Miami if this fire sale continues
    Firesale indeed if they are fielding offers for JJ. They want to get rid of Heath Bell aswell but they would have to eat most of that contract. He is far from the pitcher he was and that was before the Marlins signed him...

Coeus wrote: »
    Firesale indeed if they are fielding offers for JJ. They want to get rid of Heath Bell aswell but they would have to eat most of that contract. He is far from the pitcher he was and that was before the Marlins signed him...

Adams, Qualls, and Gregorson were all better RP last year then Bell!

But he was in position.

Huston Street has looked quality for SD this year.

Talk of JJ and Boston. Will it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Talk of JJ and Boston. Will it happen?

I hope not. As a born-and-raised Sox fan I'm actually hoping they gut the team and start anew next year. If they think they can contend playing the way they are now, I want what they're smoking.

AL West just got a bit more interesting with the Angels getting Greinke. How will the Rangers react? Josh Johnson maybe?

AL West just got a bit more interesting with the Angels getting Greinke. How will the Rangers react? Josh Johnson maybe?
    Just seen this myself. Angels have a serious rotation now and it will be even better if they can get Haren back pitching to standard we expect of him. Rangers have to make a move but JJ wont come cheap...

• Advertisement

Just watching the Yankees - Red Sox game here with Yankees commentry and they just mentioned a rumoured trade of bad contracts between the Red Sox and Marlins. Crawford for Reyes :eek:

Deadline for non waiver trades this evening. It'll be interesting to see what gets done. There always seems to be one that comes out of nowhere and surprises everyone.

The Cubs look like they're doing a clean out. Malholm gone to the Braves, Soto and Dempster probably next

The Cubs look like they're doing a clean out. Malholm gone to the Braves, Soto and Dempster probably next

Struggling to see what the Cubs have added, other than maybe some cash and lower wage bill.

Deadline for non waiver trades this evening. It'll be interesting to see what gets done. There always seems to be one that comes out of nowhere and surprises everyone.
    Yea, the rumour mill is swirling around the Dbacks putting together a blockbuster deal to get a premier SP.

The Blue Jays might be looking for a preimer outfielder aswell after clearing out the depth they had at the position yesterday.

There should be plenty of other buyers among the contenders...

Victorino gone to the flush, Dodgers.
    And seemingly talks are still going on between Phillies and Giants for Pence despite that trade.

Victorino gone to the flush, Dodgers.
    And seemingly talks are still going on between Phillies and Giants for Pence despite that trade.
    Twitter is saying the Pence deal is now done. Phillies are in full-scale fire sale mode. I wonder will Cliff Lee be still in a Phillies uniform after the deadline...

Apart from the Phillies trades, not much else going on. Although the Dempster to the Yankees rumours are going around. 70 minutes or so to go!

Although the Dempster to the Yankees rumours are going around. 70 minutes or so to go!
    The Rangers have gazumped the Yankees and landed Dempster. I see the Cubs havn't traded Garza...yet...unless Theo got his deadline extension, I read somewhere he was looking for one...

All a bit quiet wasn't it? Interesting thing posted on twitter is that the Marlins have traded their opening day 1st, 2nd and 3rd basemen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

All a bit quiet wasn't it? Interesting thing posted on twitter is that the Marlins have traded their opening day 1st, 2nd and 3rd basemen

Jack can you please explain to me what the Marlins are at?

They put together a decent team and ok in fairness it hasnt worked so far but they just opened the new ball park.. why not give it time?

• Advertisement

Baltimore looking to sweep the Yankees tonight

Reading the forums it seems most fans would be delighted to just get a .500 season

At first I thought this seemed low expectations but then I suppose the fans are long suffering and depressed

Doing well this year though

Camden Yards looks a beautiful ball park, would love to visit some day

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Giants and Dodgers starting there newly acquired Pence and Victorino last night. Giants managed to score 1 run and LA didn't score at all.

I really do enjoy watching the Giants pitching but the offense, although better than last year, is still painful viewing.

Dbacks looking really good for NL west right now!

Not MLB but we'll put it in anyway

Minor League Daytona, the PA announcer played Three Blind Mice

Umpire was not pleased and ejected him and shut down the sound system for the night

http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/baseball/daytona-cubs/2012/08/02/cubs-win-4th-straight.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Coco Crisp gave the A's their 13th walk off win.

reddick-spidey.gif

I've been to 16 MLB games and 1 minor league game in my time yet never caught a ball. I even went in to batting practice a couple of times and still nothing (thought it would be a bid sad looking if an adult starting knocking kids out of the way to get a ball).

Then this guy comes along

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afo7jxw7I3g
    Another guy "catches" 2 home runs in a game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23790939&topic_id=8879234&c_id=bal

Right, now that we've got the Olympics out of the way, it's time to get back focused on baseball.

A couple of tight divisional races going on in the AL Central and NL West. However I'm really looking forward to seeing how the NL East works out with the Braves only 4.5 games out and Strasburg due to sit down at some stage.

it's definitely going to happen but can you imagine why it's going to be like if they're only a game or two up with 2 weeks to go! The consolation of the WC isn't much either as a 1 game play off is basically a coin toss.

NL West just got a bit more interesting - Melky Cabrera suspended for 50 games for PEDs. Maybe they'll bring back Barry Bonds?

NL West just got a bit more interesting - Melky Cabrera suspended for 50 games for PEDs. Maybe they'll bring back Barry Bonds?
    That would explain his sudden career year last season, and form continuing into this season. Looks like he hasn't been to weasel out of his punishment like Braun...

Coeus wrote: »
    That would explain his sudden career year last season, and form continuing into this season. Looks like he hasn't been to weasel out of his punishment like Braun...

Maybe he can copy this one's excuse

http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/29472905178/itsrainingepo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Absolutely disgusted with Melky. I don't think 50 games is enough of a deterrent. It should be 2 full seasons minimum. Lincecum will probably have a stinker now to add the cherry on top!

Advertisement