Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Meet-up. Anyone Interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

re: start time

We could make it 1:30 or similar, and meet somewhere outside that's easy to get to. Wait around for half an hour and then head to the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Well done larryone, great organising. All we need now is to get definite numbers.
    Syth wrote:
    re: start time

We could make it 1:30 or similar, and meet somewhere outside that's easy to get to. Wait around for half an hour and then head to the room.

Anywhere in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I said 60 when I was putting in the room booking form.
    We can start to publicise it to interested parties when we get confirmation.
    Who do we send the word out to? We want to avoid those who might come along, be all high and mighty and arrogant and sh!t.
    Should I throw i out to the other universities computing societies?
    My contacts in sun?
    The guys in the Irish Free Software Organisation?
    Should we avoid some of these for the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

we could either meet at the entrance, or in the room itself, there are a few UCD ppl goin, so we can show ppl where exactly it is.

10 pieces of paper with "DubLUG meet hosted by Netsoc"
    1 roll of sellotape (sitting on my desk right now)
    1 permanent marker for drawing arrows on said pieces of paper

If strategically placed, we could either
    a) direct anyone interested towards the relevant room
    b) see how many people we can make fall into the lake
    c) whatever comes to mind at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Okay UCD is a bit out of the way for me, but sure its just a bus ride away. So will be there (assuming I don't forget again....).

Keep in mind that the room isnt an absolute definite until yerman calls me back.

If it does get confirmed I'll try to get the mods to sticky an announcement for the meet. It's far too tedious to read through this whole thread to find out what's happening.

If people want to do a little bit of installfesting after the initial meeting, might be an idea for someone to organise getting a plugboard or two and bringing it along. If it is confirmed then we have the place from 2 till 6 so plenry of time.

The idea of gathering half an hour early somewhere obvious like beside the lake or somewhere might be good. I could even go to the bother of taking the map from the ucd website and scribble an arrow on it for those who dont know ucd that well.

so what room is it then? or does he have 2 get back with that?

yea, he has to get back to me with that
    If they dont call me by tomorrow I'll go over there again at lunch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Lads sorry to say, you've taken it from a boards meet and turned it into a netsoc meet.

If you dont want to run into complications down the line, choose a different venue, im sure you can get some place in town like the upstairs of a pub function room - early on a saturday afternoon for nothing. Or even just meet up in the IFI cinema upstairs (which is where the 2600 meets are held once a month).

• Advertisement

Netsoc just offered to facilitate it. If people want to have it so that the only promotion of the event happens here, than that's cool. Actually I think that's the better option. I certainly dont want to take a boards.ie event and hi-jack it as a netsoc event. To get a free room we just needed to rubberstamp it. We wont email our members or post it on the website - just keep it all here. If anyone wants to try find a different location that's more suitable for this kind of event I can cancell our room booking at any time.

cheers
    L

Right, room C110 in arts in UCD at 14:00 Satudray the 25th of March, meet at the lake in UCD 13:30 if you come early. There will be signposts, and possibly some refreshments provided by netsoc.
    Apart from rubberstamp and presence at the event, netsoc will not be getting involved in any official way. The nature of the meeting and matters discussed will be at the discression of any individuals present. Long live anarchy =0)
    No promotion of the event will be made by netsoc.

If anyone like jaqian wants to try get an announcement of this a sticky, it might be easier for the boardsies to find the relevant information.

http://larry.netsoc.com/campusmap05.jpg
    X marks the spot.

Sign me up. I'll help with the organisation.

I'll send an email to ILUG as well, ILUG members might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerMon

Hi all, I'm new to the boards. I hope to attend the meeting in UCD if I can make it. I see above somebody was fearing it was turning into a netsoc meeting as opposed to a boards meeting (which I think is a legitimate concern). I would say in a similar vein if you/we/whoever are trying to set up a new lug, why invite the ILUG people, I don't understand the reasoning behind that decision.

DerMon wrote:
    I see above somebody was fearing it was turning into a netsoc meeting as opposed to a boards meeting (which I think is a legitimate concern).
    Let's be honest here, UCD NetSoc doesn't do meetings. We don't run events. We're a service society (*cough*). I wouldn't know a netsoc meeting if I was at one.
    DerMon wrote:
    why invite the ILUG people, I don't understand the reasoning behind that decision.
    Because the Linux community is small, especially in Ireland. All LUGs have the same aims, and the same community.

I haven't emailed ILUG yet, I'd be curious what people think. We don't want this to get all Judean People's Front here. I've been a lurker on the ILUG list for almost 2 years now. Not a lot of face to face meetups happen, and hopefully we can change that. But the mailing list is very active. They seem like a bunch of nice chaps. There are bound to be people on the list who are interested in attending.

I think the origional intent for this was just to have a boards linux meet. That with the possability of starting a DubLUG or whatever. So lets just have a boards one first, then see where it goes. If it does lead to a DubLUG that is more socially active than its national sibling LUG then nice. If the concensus of the attendees of the meeting is to make a new LUG, and then spread the word, then we do that, and look for a time and location for the next meet - trying to ensure that it doesnt end up being in UCD all the time. If the concensus is to just have a boards mini-LUG that meets occasionally then we do the same thing, but just keep it on a slightly smaller scale.

Having the first meet hosted by netsoc is handy because its free. If we book a place that requires payment, then some people might possibly be put off by having that extra cost factor in there. (If I wanted to get from blessington to UCD it'll already cost me a fair bit on busses to get there and back - suddenly I've spent 15Euro to get to this thing) After the establishment of a group, there might be enough interest to facilitate the booking of a venue that requires payment - so it doesnt end up being in UCD too much. If the concensus here on boards is that UCD isnt a suitable location for the first meet, then see the room booking as a backup plan until someone can find a more suitable place.

n'est pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerMon

Syth: ok thanks for your explanations. Just finding my way around here and not trying to get peoples backs up, just looking to understand the lie of the land a bit more, so to speak.

As for the discussion of the group name, how about JPFLUG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

This is great - it's fantastic netsoc et al have got involved while still giving us a 'hands-off' commitment. That's Über-cool :cool:

This is a preliminary meeting for people with a genuine interest in Linux/computer-related nerdism. In other countries, there's a more developed culture that allows things like this to get started, there's also interest from small businesses(who can provide rooms) and from various levels of government - however, here we have virtually nothing - hell, you've all seen the barriers the Central Library put up when jaiqan asked about their meeting room. :mad:

We need to mooch a room for the moment (the last informal meet-up in a pub didn't go so well:o ) and we've got to build on the foundations that already exist here... Netsoc in UCD have provided the room and also seem to want to get at least some of their members involved. This is a good thing, in my opinion.

Our primary goal has to be to get at least one meeting under our belts.

I'd be on for a more central location - but I think it's worth making the effort to get out to UCD for this first meeting, if only to put in my two-cents' worth and see if there's as much potential in the idea of the new LUG as there seems to be.

DerMon wrote:
    Syth: ok thanks for your explanations. Just finding my way around here and not trying to get peoples backs up, just looking to understand the lie of the land a bit more, so to speak.
    No problem. I just don't think we should have totally seperate LUGs. It's all a bit "Judean's People's Front" vs "People's Front of Judea", which I think is silly and wasteful.
    DerMon wrote:
    As for the discussion of the group name, how about JPFLUG :)
    :confused:

Finally a reply from the Ilac:
    Dear Robert,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm afraid that we are not in a position to facilitate your meeting as the activity room is in continuous use on Saturdays for Conversation Exchange sessions.

Regards
    Cathy

Nice brush off, considering the other email. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51004735&postcount=36)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭niallb

It's quite possible though, and language conversation sessions
    are the room's most common use.
    Still, a pity.

NiallB

I agree. Either way it looks like all Saturdays are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helix26

Hi There, i am a newbie in Linux and a new member of this board i'll be interested in attending the meeting please count me in.
    I got some Centos 4.2 Distros i'll bring it in with me not sure if that would be of any use ..
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

perhaps you could look into community halls in general areas.. just a thought but most of them have half decent meeting rooms available for free. Its just really a case of the area you want to pick to meet in. :cool:

helix26 wrote:
    Hi There, i am a newbie in Linux and a new member of this board i'll be interested in attending the meeting please count me in.
    I got some Centos 4.2 Distros i'll bring it in with me not sure if that would be of any use ..
    cheers

Hi helix26 welcome to Boards.ie, look forward to seeing you at the meetup.

I sent an email to ILUG. Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

Count me in! I'll come armed with some Kanotix goodies, help anyone with anything I can and talk to anyone about anything (including ILUG) :-D

k, i'll have OpenSuse 10.0, and Fedora Core 5 is released on March 20th, so i'll prob get that aswell, though they both will b cd's coz i don't have dvd burner

Blowfish wrote:
    k, i'll have OpenSuse 10.0, and Fedora Core 5 is released on March 20th, so i'll prob get that aswell, though they both will b cd's coz i don't have dvd burner

cd's are fine, at least you'll know everyone will be able to use them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ok, I was going to attend, but I'm currently out of the country on business and unlikely to be back on time. Sorry peeps.

Advertisement