Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Australia 2013 [AU Pace - Spoilers]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Any approximate start date for here? Will it be on Watch again do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If the last few years are anything to go by, it should be on Watch in September.

Yay!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Completely missed the UK version (and majority of the Australian Professionals version) this year.. but I have a real soft spot for the Oz version.

It's back in the next few weeks - and here's their quite controversial promo:

Not made a lot of fans very happy.. we can only hope the "girls vs boys" concept was simply for the advertisement and they're not changing up the format!

But the advertisement is more than a tad sexist..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I hate to do this to a mod, Basq - but I can't resist pointing out that there's already a thread for this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056936776

:o:o:o;)

• Advertisement

No worries GHG.. I had a look down the first page of reality TV and didn't see anything.

Will merge now so.

You have to expect that they had a few weeks filmed when they did that promo. Hard to back out of it.

On the other hand, season 1-4 started at the end of April/early May. Hasty redo? :)

More or less confirmed to begin Monday June 3rd.
    MasterChef Australia returns to TEN early next month.

It begins at 7:30pm Monday June 3.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I love Masterchef Australia but that trailer is really putting me off this series :mad:

Thanks for keeping us posted, I love this programme. I think the standard of cookery is really high and they always have lots of new and exciting concepts to bring to the table, can't wait for it to start :)

• Advertisement

Now confirmed to be starting this Sunday (June 2nd)!
    We’ve all been hungry for the return of MasterChef Australia, and finally our TV tastebuds will be satisfied. Network TEN has announced that Series Five of the internationally adored show will return at 7.30 on Sunday June 2.

Here's another one of those advertisements that proves the "Men vs Women" angle is still on the cards..

935674_10151410560660636_1761887379_n.jpg

Straight in, no auditions, top 22 at the start, no messing about.
    And yup, boys vs. girls (but just for the first 2 weeks). :)

Here we go again!

Are you guys waiting for Watch or is there somewhere to watch it online?

It will be on Watch in September.

Enjoyable opener.. and preferred skipping of the auditions!

Some solid faces to hate already including the lazy as sin Nicky and the frankly bizarre Michael (and his scouse Irish accent! :confused:)

Great to have it back.

Wrong person went home there IMO...
    Kelty's Irish stew was a piece of piss.. as Gary or George said, 15 minutes work in a pressure cooker. Dan's dish had it's flaws but was inventive and showed promise at the very least.

Also, only on for 4 days a week this year! :(

Shows Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Masterclass on Thursday.

This is just leaving me cold. The trash talking between teams is just cringe inducing. Have you noticed that a lot of it seems to be done anonymously (where you don't see who said it?). For all we know, it could be overdubbed.

The sooner the first two weeks are over, the sooner it can get back to the Masterchef that we loved from the first 4 seasons (hopefully).

Mr E wrote: »
    This is just leaving me cold. The trash talking between teams is just cringe inducing. Have you noticed that a lot of it seems to be done anonymously (where you don't see who said it?). For all we know, it could be overdubbed.

The sooner the first two weeks are over, the sooner it can get back to the Masterchef that we loved from the first 4 seasons (hopefully).
    Agreed.. the smack talk reeks of being heavily scripted, and full of clichéd statements - "red is dead" etc.

It settled back down in episode 3, which was pretty good.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I much prefer the Australian version to the UK/Ireland one. Takes itself far less seriously while still getting the job done but in a more entertaining way for the most part. I agree that the boys/girls angle is a bit irritating though, good to hear that it's only for the first couple of weeks. No interest in watching the masterclass episodes really though.

• Advertisement

Masterclass was better than usual. The live audience format was good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I have to say, though I love the Australian format (overlooking this trite Battle of the Sexes shtick), I have never found the judges as irritating as I do this season. Matt Preston is actually the lesser of three evils ; George and Gary come across as incredibly pompous and unhelpful.

Early days yet, but I call Xavier one to watch. Elimination tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Early days yet, but I call Xavier one to watch.
    lol. I'm glad I ain't a gambler.

So who stuck with it until the end? The finale was on Sunday. I think the standard this year was a bit lower than previous years, and it was the first finale in 5 seasons where I genuinely didn't care who won (I wasn't rooting for anyone in particular).

For those who have watched the finale (or don't mind knowing who made it to the finale), there is a good article here on what went wrong this year. To summarise, they tried to bring in a mixture of average cooks (instead of the accomplished cooks from previous years) in an attempt to help the viewing audience relate to them. It seems to have backfired because the viewing audience want to see fantastic food, not average food.

The other mistake they made is over-saturating the brand. Preceding with the Professionals series dampened enthusiasm for the main series.

Anyway next year, they're only having one series (the main one), and they're going back to having a proper audition week to start strong and weed out the average cooks. No gimmicks either (like the terrible Men vs. Women idea, or themed weeks).

I expect a much better season next year.

For those who are looking forward to seeing this on Watch or RTE later this year, it's still an entertaining season and worth watching.

When is it due to screen on Watch do you know?

UK Premiere: Series 5 - Sunday 15th September, 7pm

http://watch.uktv.co.uk/shows/masterchef-australia/

Mr E wrote: »
    UK Premiere: Series 5 - Sunday 15th September, 7pm

http://watch.uktv.co.uk/shows/masterchef-australia/

You're a star, thank you!

* averting my eyes through thread *

I'm really far behind.. went on holidays in early August and haven't caught up.

With the busy US season almost upon us, don't know if i'll get a chance.

Mixed feelings about this year from up until I saw (early August).. really liked Lynton, but not a whole lot of others tbh.

Advertisement