Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug Reports for the new Boards.ie Skin

• 16-07-2012 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Following on from the Announcement thread, if you come across any bugs with the new skin, we'd really appreciate it if you could post them here.

Please post with the following format:

Type: Bug /Missing Feature / Suggestion / Other
    Issue: insert text here, screen shots are helpful if you can manage it
    Browser & OS: What browser version you're using to help us replicate and track the issue more quickly
    Screen Resolution: what res your screen's running at - can be quite important in design issues.

It's really important that this thread only be used for bug reports and so on - we've had 4 weeks for feedback and suggestions already and the tech team really needs to move on to their next project soon, so we're hoping to be wrapped up with this by the end of July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi lads,

I switched to old look - is there a way of switching back to new look?

Thanks,
    Keith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Thanks,
    Keith.

Down the end of this page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

Select 'Boards.ie new Beta'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Thanks,
    Keith.

Click Here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Agh. Logged into boards from my iphone this morning and for some reason the skin was automatically switched to this awful new one.

It's terrible on iOS, really slow when scrolling down a page. Has is even been tested on an iphone/ipad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

"iPad compatibility - We know there are issues with iPads. Full testing has not been done on any iPad. The skin was designed for full computers like netbooks, laptops and desktops with the idea being the touch site may see improvements similar to the new skin in the future. This isn't to say we're leaving iPad users in the dark, but that they're not our target audience currently but we will improve things as we go along. It would be useful for you to report any bugs you find so we have a record of them anyway, but it won't be a priority."

from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056703415

noted it should really say iOS compatibility as the issues are with iOS and not specific to the iPad. We're working on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I could not login from the front page - simply woulnd't accept my username + password.

I managed to get logged in after I followed some link which prompted me to log and it had my username already filled in from cache/cookie and all I had to do was put in my password which worked fine.

Edit: FYI - I greatly dislike the new look - prefer the old one! ITs too.......busy. Harder to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd still like an option to mark all forums read. On the old skin it was there in the drop down list in all the forums.

"iPad compatibility - We know there are issues with iPads. Full testing has not been done on any iPad. The skin was designed for full computers like netbooks, laptops and desktops with the idea being the touch site may see improvements similar to the new skin in the future. This isn't to say we're leaving iPad users in the dark, but that they're not our target audience currently but we will improve things as we go along. It would be useful for you to report any bugs you find so we have a record of them anyway, but it won't be a priority."

from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056703415

noted it should really say iOS compatibility as the issues are with iOS and not specific to the iPad. We're working on it though.

ok thanks.

But surely users using iOS must make up a large chunk of readers? Seems madness to release (and default) this skin without testing it fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I couldn't access boards at about half hour ago on Samsung sgs. Was it down or? Bound to be teething problems people but sure in a months time we won't know ourselves:)

vicwatson wrote: »
    I couldn't access boards at about half hour ago on Samsung sgs. Was it down or? Bound to be seething problems people but sure in a months time we won't know ourselves:)

Hopefully there won't be too much seething :)

The site hasn't been down this morning, are you still experiencing the problem?

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    ok thanks.

But surely users using iOS must make up a large chunk of readers? Seems madness to release (and default) this skin without testing it fully?
    currently running at 7% of our total user base, it's a sizable chunk that warrants some attention but there's currently better ways (touch site) to view boards, we're working on bringing a better experience to iOS devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's very silky shiny, any way to tone it down a bit. I'm using a glossy imac at the moment and i've turned the brightness down a lot. It's blind bright.
    The new skin was also causing me trouble on my android phone, firefox was freaking out a little with it and the stock sony browser wouldn't load the new site at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hopefully there won't be too much Teething :)

The site hasn't been down this morning, are you still experiencing the problem?

Ha, of course I meant teething !

Might have been a wi fi issue. All good now thanks

currently running at 7% of our total user base, it's a sizable chunk that warrants some attention but there's currently better ways (touch site) to view boards, we're working on bringing a better experience to iOS devices.

Really? Surprised it's that low. In that case you're justified in improving the the experience to the other 93% and working on iOS compatibility in the background.

Keep up the good work but I'm sticking with the old skin for now :)

(Btw, I miss the old "mobile" skin. It was very minimalistic but perfect for iphones and even desktop browsing).

quarryman wrote: »
    Really? Surprised it's that low. In that case you're justified in improving the the experience to the other 93% and working on iOS compatibility in the background.

Keep up the good work but I'm sticking with the old skin for now :)

(Btw, I miss the old "mobile" skin. It was very minimalistic but perfect for iphones and even desktop browsing).
    7% of 5 million visits is still a lot ;).

do you mean http://m.boards.ie/ that's still available.

you mean http://m.boards.ie/ that's still available.
    Oh god my eyes....

7% of 5 million visits is still a lot ;).

do you mean http://m.boards.ie/ that's still available.

Nope, i mean even before that.

This one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

smash wrote: »
    I'd still like an option to mark all forums read. On the old skin it was there in the drop down list in all the forums.

This isn't a feature request thread. There's been 4 weeks of that over in feedback - bug reports only please, to keep the signal to noise ratio as high as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Hia I wonder can something be done with the links? i.e. when I move my cursier/mouse and it's pointing at boards.ie/adverts.ie/arts etc.. a list comes down, anyway of stopping that? when I go to the favorites and before I click in the button I pass one of the said links and it comes down bit annoying

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

I really like the new look, very happy with it.

Regarding access on iPad, it's fine, with a couple of minor exceptions:

1 - Sometimes the Boards.ie Banner bar seems to relocate itself to the middle of screen, and block access to the list of threads
    2 - the notifications button works, but when clicking through the sub options, they won't load, doesn't even seem to register as an input.

Many thanks

• Advertisement

tried to delete a post there and it wont work for me.

smash wrote: »
    tried to delete a post there and it wont work for me.

Just deleted and undeleted your post there and it worked fine. Can you I get a more detailed description of the problem including the steps you took to produce the problem, your browser and your operating system.

Doesn't matter actually. I found out what it was. I went to edit, clicked delete and then clicked delete again but didn't tick the "Delete Message" radio input.

In saying that, it would be handy if these radio options were highlighted or something.

It's very silky shiny, any way to tone it down a bit. I'm using a glossy imac at the moment and i've turned the brightness down a lot. It's blind bright.
    The new skin was also causing me trouble on my android phone, firefox was freaking out a little with it and the stock sony browser wouldn't load the new site at all.

Agreed. I'm using a matt finish macbookpro and I also find it too rich.

Could this be a mac thing oh Lords of the Boards ????

Agreed. I'm using a matt finish macbookpro and I also find it too rich.

Could this be a mac thing oh Lords of the Boards ????

You really can't get brighter than #FFFFFF (white) so it's not like we're adding in extra backlight with some magic :p Problem's with your monitor brightness/contrast settings I fear :)

You really can't get brighter than #FFFFFF (white) so it's not like we're adding in extra backlight with some magic :p Problem's with your monitor brightness/contrast settings I fear :)

Well there's nothing wrong with other web pages for me :)

I just tried it on an LG external monitor and its much easier to read. Mac screens tend to be very glossy - even the matt finish one.

I'm curious how other mac users are finding it ?

Well there's nothing wrong with other web pages for me :)

I just tried it on an LG external monitor and its much easier to read. Mac screens tend to be very glossy - even the matt finish one.

I'm curious how other mac users are finding it ?

Our two designers use macs, as does Tony, Paddy (sometimes), myself when on the laptop. Nothing noticed here if I'm honest. Google's background is #FFF as well, flick between the two and there's no difference in brightness to my eyes :)

Our two designers use macs, as does Tony, Paddy (sometimes), myself when on the laptop. Nothing noticed here if I'm honest. Google's background is #FFF as well, flick between the two and there's no difference in brightness to my eyes :)

sorry I don't mean the background. I mean the overwhelming blueness of it all. The old design is kind of less intense.

By the way - I don't mean to be ragging on your hard work jsut giving my honest impression :)

sorry I don't mean the background. I mean the overwhelming blueness of it all. The old design is kind of less intense.

By the way - I don't mean to be ragging on your hard work jsut giving my honest impression :)

Well you are opinion guy after all, of course there's no hard feelings and you're free to give your thoughts. I should be asking you to post them over in Feedback though, since this thread's for bug reports :)

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is there a New Posts link in the new skin?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement