Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Phoenix Park Concerts 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Would Queen with Lambert really sell out 45'000? With Paul Rodgers probably, but with Lambert I highly doubt it. As much as I adore Queen, They were my first band I REALLY got into. But I wouldn't go to the Phoenix Park for that to be honest.

Pearl Jam, Now that I'd love!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

CiaranK wrote: »
    Would Queen with Lambert really sell out 45'000? With Paul Rodgers probably, but with Lambert I highly doubt it. As much as I adore Queen, They were my first band I REALLY got into. But I wouldn't go to the Phoenix Park for that to be honest.

Pearl Jam, Now that I'd love!!

I think the same Ciaran - but I think they'd have struggled with Rodgers to sell out that sort of crowd - with Lambert I think they'd have no chance....so it would have to be with a few other names off the Sonisphere bill........

I'd priced some of the PJ shows around Europe and the UK and any dates I could make were just working out too expensive - a date here and I'll be there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

CiaranK wrote: »
    Would Queen with Lambert really sell out 45'000?

Would Queen not be just a tribute band nowadays, like Thin Lizzy and Guns 'n' Roses?

Lets just face it, its not Queen without Freddie.

Pearl Jam would be good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mr.S wrote: »
    By themselves it would struggle i'd say, but with another big act it could do well.

Queen are a Worldwide Exclusive at Sonisphere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Queen are a Worldwide Exclusive at Sonisphere
    They can keep them. Much as I love the bands legacy, having one of the remnants of Simon Cowells toilet of mediocrity as a singer, totally discourages me from having any interest in this reunion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

So much dislike for the Sonisphere announcement tonight...even from the Queen fan base! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭lc180

So with KISS playing Sonisphere, will there be any chance they will play a date in Ireland this summer??

I can't imagine it myself but I would love to see them play here again.

EDIT: I now see from the Sonisphere website it is KISS's only european gig of 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

looks like Forbidden Fruit line up being announced today or maybe the date its on

lc180 wrote: »
    So with KISS playing Sonisphere, will there be any chance they will play a date in Ireland this summer??

I can't imagine it myself but I would love to see them play here again.

EDIT: I now see from the Sonisphere website it is KISS's only european gig of 2012

KISS will be back in Europe next year I'd be pretty sure, album release this year US Dates and then back to Europe next year.....

with Kanye West/JayZ announcing the O2 date that's a couple more names ruled out of Phoenix Park dates.......

the only one/s from Sonisphere I can think from that announcement now would be FNM, Evanessence and The Darkness.....if they put together a 4-5 band bill they'd have a chance of selling well......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,330 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are Blur touring again?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are Blur touring again?

Rumoured to be

EDIT:

Blur are to play a special closing ceremony show in Hyde Park this summer to mark the end of the London Olympics.

The band, who eFestivals has predicted will be playing Hyde Park for months, are joined there by The Specials, and New Order under the banner of 'Best Of British'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I don't think Forbidden Fruit was ever going to affect the lineup of Phoenix Park at all...

Since 2/3 of TITP headliners are doing Pheonix Park will we see Kasabian do a show? They are playing with Elbow and maybe a few others?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Busi Girl

Whats the actual capacity of phoenix park?? Will Snow Patrol sell out fast do ye think?

Busi Girl wrote: »
    Whats the actual capacity of phoenix park?? Will Snow Patrol sell out fast do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cannon_93

At recent rate, Coldplay could nearly sell out Slane twice over. Wouldn't be surprised if they(Coldplay) or Foos are announced for Slane after Snow Patrol gig is nearly sold out, it'd make sense for MCD.

Cannon_93 wrote: »
    At recent rate, Coldplay could nearly sell out Slane twice over. Wouldn't be surprised if they(Coldplay) or Foos are announced for Slane after Snow Patrol gig is nearly sold out, it'd make sense for MCD.

Ah Coldplay wounld'nt sell it out twice but they could sell it out once . Foo's would prob sell out with a strong support bill.

If Foo's are announced it will be sometime in MArch since they are tbc for Reading and Leeds

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Snow Patrol Is Sold Out:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Right guys,

It's been mentioned above already so I'll just keep the thought alive.

I think we all agree that Phoenix Park is simply a replacement for Oxegen. Cheaper to run and more profitable for MCD etc etc.

Now that T in the Park (Oxegen has always shares this line-up) has announced a chunk of its 2012 line-up can we expect any of the acts playing there to appear in Dublin either as support acts or headliners.

MCD will announce (I'm guessing) gigd for the Friday and Saturday in the coming weeks.

Examples of possible appearances:

Friday: David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Jessie J, Two Door Cinema Club, The Vacinnes, Emeli Sande, Example, Tine Tempah, Professor Green, Kaiser Chiefs

Saturday: Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Kasabian, Elbow, James Morrison, Happy Mondays

Obviously, not all these will appear but just throwing a few ideas out there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,330 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has Mumford & Sons any Irish shows this year yet?

Snow Patrol Is Sold Out:pac:

I know both main bands on this bill are popular - but since when were they popular enough to sell out 45k tickets in a couple of hours - this stinks again.....something just doesn't sound right here.....

NIBBS wrote: »
    I know both main bands on this bill are popular - but since when were they popular enough to sell out 45k tickets in a couple of hours - this stinks again.....something just doesn't sound right here.....

MCD know what will sell. Snow Patrol played two nights in Dublin and three nights in Belfast in January, both Dublin & Belfast sold out in minutes.

FATM sold out the O2 for the 2nd March also in minutes.

Both bands have very successful albums currently out and both bands, especially Snow Patrol, have a wide selection of big hits and lively tunes which all lead to a big sell. Snow Patrol would also have a large support in the North which would add to sales.

I think you're looking at the likes of Foo Fighters with Kasabian and maybe a night consisting of Rihanna/Katy Perry with David Guetta as possible headliners for a Friday and Saturday night gig. I know that many die-hard music fans would not appreciate a few of the above names but at the end of the day, both would sell out in a matter of minutes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I find it weird myself, was at a ticketmaster outlet this morning with loads of other people, and very few, if any of them, were buying tickets for this. Doesn't add up.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I find it weird myself, was at a ticketmaster outlet this morning with loads of other people, and very few, if any of them, were buying tickets for this. Doesn't add up.

What about online sales???? That's where the majority of purchasing is done these days.

Also, MCD and Snow Patrol both had 48 hour presales which would have shifted quiet a number of tickets!!! These gigs also have a 45,000 capacity. Population of ROI 4.5 million, Population of NI 1.8 million. Not that difficult to sell out really..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Pudsy33 wrote: »

To be fair, it's not 1996 anymore! Fans at ticketmaster kioks/shops can't be seen to be a fair reflection of the ticket buying public, when every Tom, Dick and Harry has a laptop!

MCD know what will sell. Snow Patrol played two nights in Dublin and three nights in Belfast in January, both Dublin & Belfast sold out in minutes.

FATM sold out the O2 for the 2nd March also in minutes.

Both bands ha

ve very successful albums currently out and both bands, especially Snow Patrol, have a wide selection of big hits and lively tunes which all lead to a big sell. Snow Patrol would also have a large support in the North which would add to sales.

I think you're looking at the likes of Foo Fighters with Kasabian and maybe a night consisting of Rihanna/Katy Perry with David Guetta as possible headliners for a Friday and Saturday night gig. I know that many die-hard music fans would not appreciate a few of the above names but at the end of the day, both would sell out in a matter of minutes!!!

Exactly Snow Patrol are quite big , there arena dates nearly = 45000 people so add in FATM who also sold out the O2 and you have a massive sell out . Plus it was'nt too expensive when you think about the 3 acts that are on the bill .

I might pick up a ticket closer to the date when they do the usual "release production tickets" etc depending on what other gigs are on

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭part time punk

NIBBS wrote: »

Would have to agree. I know it's a very popular line up for the masses but I'm still surprised it's 'sold out' so quick. People are leaving it later to buy tickets these days and much fewer gigs selling out in quick time. I didn't see any ads for this myself, first thing I saw it was on was here about lunchtime after selling out. Fully expect that we'll see more tickets made available for this closer to the event.

Any actual word on the other Phoenix park gigs apart from the general speculation on here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I might pick up a ticket closer to the date when they do the usual "release production tickets" etc depending on what other gigs are on

Or when people who bought 4 or 6 tickets for mates who won't want to go in the end so they end up selling them

With the exception of massive bands like U2, there are always loads of tickets for sale at cost price for large open air gigs close to the date

Advertisement