Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Havn't or haven't?

• 13-08-2005 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This may be simple but which one is correct for the abbreviation of the phrase "have not"

havn't

or

haven't

Comments

• haven't

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just think of the ' replacing an o,thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I was thinking it was haven't, yet a lot of people spell it the other way - havn't - now I know that I'm right.

Thanks guys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

np,they probably do it on the net because a lot of people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dublinsausage

more cool 'havuntu" in Irish pronunciation . now try spelling Smith and pronouncing in the form it is spelt . in Irish which I prefer it should sound like Smitt. That's how we say it and thst's how we should spell it. It's our language in Ireland and we should murder it . I like to call a person a good cunnt , you could hardly call a person a bad cunnt could ya /

• Advertisement

havuntuspeltrong

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

Old thread I know but I just googled both and it seems even thought it's the incorrect spelling, there's almost 10 and a half million results for havn't!

Also, nearly three quarter's of a billion results for haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Where that particular abbreviation is acceptable in speech, it is not good practice to use it writing unless you are writing dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Condatis wrote: »
    Where that particular abbreviation is acceptable in speech, it is not good practice to use it writing unless you are writing dialogue.
    I disagree. I write a great deal in an informal style, and contractions fit very well into such a style - don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Perhaps! Though some can appear more cumbersome than others – the written word has an aesthetic as well as a literal impact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement