Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: The Savage Eye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Roberto91

I rekon most people dont even get the humour in this programme cos its not spelled out ,spoon fed and punctuated with canned laughter in the(mostly British and American) style of comedy we've become used to on TV.This is Irish humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

NinjaK wrote: »
    I must be watching a different show, give me one example

the episode with the British newsreel footage of Michael Collins signing the treaty was brilliant, do you even get the joke? all of those newsreel clips showing what "paddy" is doing are really funny, its taking the piss out of the british view of ireland at the time.

No he just likes to make fun of Gaelic Irish people and their traditions. Its a west-Brit tv programme aimed at middle class west-Brits, like alot of RTE D4 tv shows.

it also takes the piss out of middle class irish people, the one where everyone is obsessed with buying houses is a perfect example, some of the jokes are hit and miss but when its funny its hilarious, its up there with Father Ted as a pitch perfect look at Irish society, and its the best thing RTE have done in forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

No he just likes to make fun of Gaelic Irish people and their traditions. Its a west-Brit tv programme aimed at middle class west-Brits, like alot of RTE D4 tv shows.

scumbagsteve.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MungBean wrote: »
    No its a comedy show aimed at people with a sense of humour.

:D. Hook, line and bloody sinker.

Exactly. Leave the over thinking and analysing to the programme, exaggeration is what humour is about after all. When it hits a nerve, you know it's true!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Roberto91 wrote: »
    I rekon most people dont even get the humour in this programme cos its not spelled out ,spoon fed and punctuated with canned laughter in the(mostly British and American) style of comedy we've become used to on TV.This is Irish humour.

Exactly, quite a few of the jokes are references to TV shows of the past like the priest tv sketch about dating in Ireland is a direct reference to Radharc. Its quite clever all ages comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

the sketch of the all ireland talent show with Grainne Seoige a few weeks back was very funny. Silly stuff but the family irish dancing and the builder sticking the breakfast roll up his arse kinda encapsulated how rubbish and and how parochial 'middle or the road' irish people are when it comes to entertainment.

its probably the same audience who watch this kind of show who don't understand the humour aswell.

Never was a fan of McSavage but the show is excellent.

the sketch about the civil servants "filling out a form"(to the tune brewing up a storm) is also a cracker,but I agree that some of the jokes are not funny and are a bit severe.I rekon McSavage is a madman and I think he has probably taken a lot of drugs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I am suprised some people take this show seriously. It is just a laugh.
    Looking forward for tonight's installment.
    Episode 5 - EDUCATION: Why is Ireland so Proud of its Education System?

I am suprised some people take this show seriously. It is just a laugh.
    Looking forward for tonight's installment.
    Episode 5 - EDUCATION: Why is Ireland so Proud of its Education System?
    could be interesting -I bet he takes a huge swipe at the compulsory Irish in the schools and teacher's rates of pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Roberto91 wrote: »
    could be interesting -I bet he takes a huge swipe at the compulsory Irish in the schools and teacher's rates of pay.
    yeah and i'm sure the teaching of Irish will be mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Was the show on at a different time last week, as my UPC box recorded some show called ugly instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Thought it ended last week, somewhat glad there's one tonight!

Liamario wrote: »
    Was the show on at a different time last week, as my UPC box recorded some show called ugly instead.
    dunno but you can see it on www.rte.ie/realplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Thought it ended last week, somewhat glad there's one tonight!
    It is on tonight at 10.25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Liamario wrote: »

ugly was the episode title

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I hope tonight's episode is great. The last few, while still having funny skits haven't really tied the themes well enough or made as clear a point as his best episodes.

Anyone know what the topic is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

'Why are the Irish so proud of their education system?' is tonights episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Loved the Hector caricature!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

fab so far.

love the garda bit, classsic. and LOVE any slagging of HEECKKKTHORRRR.

esp intelligent slagging.

btw, who is that astounding actor that plays the odd role, in this case the teacher who got the job. (he also played a B&B owner - brilliant - scary as fook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

ok firstly NEVER SWITCH TO 3e DIRECTLY AFTER THE SAVAGE EYE IN ANTICIPATION OF FAMILY GUY.

OMFG!!!!!!!

and secondly, yes, good stuff overall, less cringe than usual - none in fact.

that was brilliant

"this fella says he has more points on his licence than he has on his leaving cert, sure I says to him can't you still drive your squad car"

I was in tears laughing at that sketch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

I keep anticipating that dud episode to come but it just hasn't happened yet. Excellent again. Loved that sketch on the Magdalene laundries with the nuns as giant bees. If there's one place for the series to go it's for the series to get more surreal and dark which, judging by tonight's episode, is the way it seems to be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wasn't bad, bit predictable. Liked the parents being shown around the school sketch. The lad painted over, moves and the yellow line moves too! :D

Bed sketch was okay and the Guards ones.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Yeah, Sr Agnes the giant bee was excellent, as was the priest hiding 'in the closet' in the school classroom. Good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Quite enjoyed the government parts. They might rise up and kill us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sk8rgirl

Makes Monday nights a lot more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kaiserbill80

For info - his grandfather
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Andrews

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭el diablo

Great stuff as always. :) I'll miss it when it's finished.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

It's funny alright, he's very talented, although I'd say he has others helping with the writing.

Advertisement