Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Panhard cars in Ireland

• 02-11-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

These cars were assembled in Dublin by Cauldwell's in Lucan in the early 1960's,. Anyone like to talk about these as I have some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

Wow, interesting, do you have any pics, never heard about these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard

Sadly I know more about US cars then about cars from Ireland :( tell us more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NEVCC

Id be very interested in hearing more about your cars. There were a number of cars assembled in Ireland over the years. My dad has a little Renault 4CV that has Deanta in Eireann on the glass, tires and chassis plate.
    The first Volkswagen car assembled outside Germany was assembled in Ireland in 1950.
    And then we have the infamous shamrock car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

Shamrock car?

The Shamrock was started Tralee, Co. Kerry, but the company was moved to Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan. The aim was to produce a large luxury car model for export to the US market. It is a god awful looking thing it had a fiberglass body and a tiny Austin 1.5 litre engine. There is a guy in the club with one.

http://easyreader.hermosawave.net/news2001/0322/baywatch.asp

Second pic down

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Surfer

A friends father has one sitting in his garage. It has been sitting there as long as I can remember. He plans on restoring it when he retires. Not sure of the model but I think it is a 4 door. Hard to see it correctly with all the bikes on it.
    Also saw a green one is Foxrock a couple of weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Surfer wrote:
    A friends father has one sitting in his garage. It has been sitting there as long as I can remember. He plans on restoring it when he retires. Not sure of the model but I think it is a 4 door. Hard to see it correctly with all the bikes on it.
    Also saw a green one is Foxrock a couple of weeks back.

Its quite possible that I am aware of this car especially when you mentioned it being covered with bikes. Yes the one you would have seen in Foxrock is owned by a french guy who has two Panhards. I have some of them and if you would like to see pics just let me know.

mustang68 wrote:
    Wow, interesting, do you have any pics, never heard about these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard

Sadly I know more about US cars then about cars from Ireland :( tell us more

I do have some Panhards and would be happy to talk about them at any time and have plenty of photos. I can be contacted through MSN Messenger from where I can send photos - cx24@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

NEVCC wrote:
    Id be very interested in hearing more about your cars. There were a number of cars assembled in Ireland over the years. My dad has a little Renault 4CV that has Deanta in Eireann on the glass, tires and chassis plate.
    The first Volkswagen car assembled outside Germany was assembled in Ireland in 1950.
    And then we have the infamous shamrock car.

I remember when they used to 'make' Renaults in Rosslare, by that I mean take them out of shipping crates and put the wheels on (well maybe a little more).

Basically it was a tax dodge.

Also they put a pint of petrol in each and left the keys in the ignition so they could be driven onto the transporter lorry. The local kids did on occasion climb over the fence to play dodgems, changing cars whenever they ran out of fuel.

And on the subject of made in Ireland cars, they used to build Triumphs on Cashel Rd in Drimnagh. (factory still there, now a pharmacutical company)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Hi PanhardPL - yes, I'm interested in talking about your cars. Do you have any pics? A good friend of mine in the US has a 24BT coupe, spectacular car. I have seen only one Panhard in Ireland, a 4 door in lime green parked in around Donnybrook

Personally I'm a Citroen fan, but as I understand the history, Citroen did not do Panhard any favours when they owned them. Ironic that Citroen then suffered and an even more ignominious fate at the hands of peugeot.

Are you aware of any Panhards with Citroen hydraulics?

Here's some pics:
    DSCN0321.jpgDSCN0324.jpgDSCN0341.jpgP1010048.JPGP1010049.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

And on the subject of made in Ireland cars, they used to build Triumphs on Cashel Rd in Drimnagh. (factory still there, now a pharmacutical company)

i've got an irish built MK1 2000, weird thing about it, there isn't a chassis number stamped on it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Blue850 wrote:
    i've got an irish built MK1 2000, weird thing about it, there isn't a chassis number stamped on it anywhere.

.........yeah the guiy doing the chassis stamping was out that day !! :D

I'd love to hear more about ANY Irish built car, so please guys post away !

Thanks DS for the photos of the Panhard, I assumed you folk were talking about early 1920's type cars, I had fogotten about the newer ones until I saw the picture !

I assume the Triumph factory is now Leo Pharma ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

MercMad wrote:
    I'd love to hear more about ANY Irish built car, so please guys post away !

The largest indigenous car producer in the Republic was Heinkel cars with 6500 cars produced in Dundalk in the 50s.
    The Irish government were the owners of the company, and the sole owners of the Heinkel name at that point. the engines were still manufactured in Germany, but the cars were pressed and assembled here. They even designed two additional models before selling the company to Trojan in Slough.

Many cars were assembled in Ireland - Ford in Cork obviously but our import restrictions in the 50s and 60s forced car makers to assemble kits here. Ashley Hurst assembled the Traction Avant and the DS in Dublin, as well as many other cars.

There were a lot of cars assembled in Ireland but not so many Irish produced cars. I used to produce the club news letter and I remember doing a couple of pages on this topic I’ll see if I can dig it out. I think the first car produced in Ireland was the Thomond back in the 1920’s. http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Thomond/index.html

PanhardPL unfortunately I use skype not the MSN. Could you post some picks of your cars I like MercMad assumed it was the early ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Brittains built the last Morris Minor in the world in the I970s although Australia stopped building them in I974. There was one Morris Minor Traveller built in the U.K. from new parts in I985. On the subject of Irish built, the Hillman Hunter was built here after production was moved from Coventry in I976.
    Then all the machinery was shipped over to Iran in I979 where the car was built until 2005 as the Paykan. Another unique Irish built car was the Wolseley I500 in which the first I50 were fitted with I200 cc A series engines from the Minor and there is no record of this car being sold anywhere else.
    I know of a Panhard PL I7 in the Munster area although I dont know if it was assembled in this country or not.

NEVCC wrote:
    Id be very interested....
    That car is now in the Volkswagen museum in Wolfsburg

Hello from Limerick,

Just curious about the mention of a PL17 in Munster, may I ask where you have seen it

There were Bedfords assembled in what is now the PJ O Hea garage in Cork city in the I930s so Fords weren't the only cars assembled in Cork. During the 80s, there was a sports car built in Wexford called the TMC Costin but it closed in the late 80s. The newspapers were awash with speculation in the late 80s that Lotus was considering building a factory in Cork and also a consortium were interested in building a factory for the brazilian Puma sports car in limerick at the same time.

As for the Panhard I saw in Munster, it was a black Dyna, LHD but on Irish plates, pre 86. I also saw another one amongst other cars in a shed in limerick but that was in the mid 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Opels, Studebakers and DKWs were also assembled in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 BMWE21

Rootes products (Hillman, Sunbeam etc) were built by Buckleys (later Chrysler) on Shanowen Road in Santry. The factory is still there and is now Santry Garda Station.

Vauxhalls and Bedfords were built around the corner from there by McCairns Motors on the site now occupied by Omni Park shopping centre. I think they assembled Chevrolet somewhere on Townsend St. too.

Then there was Lincoln & Nolan out in Islandbridge who assembled Austins and Reg Armstrong in Ringsend who did NSU and Opel. That factory was demolished around 10 years ago. An archway still remains on the side of the apartments built on the site, just beside the Texaco station opposite the bus garage. Brittains was originally near Portobello bridge I think?

Any article/book is well overdue on car production in Ireland.

Has anybody come across one of these models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Silvera

BMWE21 wrote:
    Any article/book is well overdue on car production in Ireland.

A book was written on this subject in the 80's called 'Motor Makers In Ireland'. I have a copy which I bought at an autojumble a few years ago. It has a pic of a De Lorean DMC12 on the front cover.

Speaking of Irish-built cars......

The unique (and priceless!) County Kildare-built Silver Stream, which is on display in the 'Museum Of Irish Transport' in Killarney. It bears Kildare's first registration - 'IO 1'.
    (The museum also has the world's largest collection of Irish-built Wolseley cars!) .......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The museum closed several years ago, unfortunately.

dahamsta wrote:
    The museum closed several years ago, unfortunately.

Eh..... NO IT DIDN'T!!

The museum is 'alive and well' in Killarney!

(There were talks of the museum moving to a location outside Killarney town, but I don't think this has happened as yet)

I went looking for it in Killarney 4-6 months ago and was pointed to a empty lot. Where is it?

dahamsta wrote:
    I went looking for it in Killarney 4-6 months ago and was pointed to a empty lot. Where is it?

I was in the museum (in Killarney town centre - Scotts Gardens Hotel grounds) c.8 months-1 yr ago. As I said, there were rumours/talks that it may be moved, apparently the hotel grounds were going to be developed.

I was told that the plan was to move it, but that it never happened; i.e. it shut down, and never reopened elsewhere.

Thats a real surprise to me!
    Tha museum is/was the best of it's kind in the Republic and had been built-up over many many years. I will be investigating further!

Please do! I was very disappointed the day I was told this, but it's possible the people I talked to were just misinformed.

adam

Here is a view of the PL17 before restoration

40ptug8.jpg

• Advertisement

This is what its shaping up like

2iqzr79.jpg
    2n891lh.jpg

Advertisement