Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Masters Students 2012-2013

• 10-04-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey there!

I am doing a masters at smurfit UCD 2012-2013. I haven't heard too many great reviews about on campus living. I am 24 and kind of looking for a less restrictive and laid back place to live. I am from NY and am shooting to be there end of August. Wanted to see if anyone would be interested in teaming up and getting a house/apt share or what not!

PM if anyone is interested!

Christina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I guess a lot depends on your budget.

Im in Smurfit now and avoided campus for the same reasons. There are room inspections and you have things like restricted internet etc.

I've a lot to say (nothing positive) on Smurfit as a whole but thats not your question so I will avoid the rant.

Would be happy to answer questions on location etc if you have more specific ones as I did the hunt at the start of this year and know the area pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cmccarthy0470

So you'd definitely go against on campus? My consensus is most people say steer clear from on- campus; as I was looking at proby. But I wasn't sure if I would miss out on anything because I was off-campus (like meeting people and what not).

I think my ultimate decision was to live off campus, but its a bit hard, as I've been looking on daft.ie and what not, and there doesn’t seem to be too many places for August, and I rather live with students not professionals as they'd have a similar lifestyle to myself and I’d be able to make friends a bit easier.

Do you have any advice on going about finding other students looking for shares; I think that must be my ultimate question. It's why I posted here initially I guess haha!

Thanks for your response, very much appreciated!

I think overall, considering your circumstances, being on campus is probably best FOR YOU.

- it means you get to meet new people (this process is a bit slower if you are off-campus)
    - you are living with students
    - it can be quite stressful finding somewhere before you actually get here and so you can spend a while looking for something suitable, at the right price, with the right people etc

Applying for campus may actually just suit you. I know a load of people on campus and they are all easy going, from loads of different countries, and they regularly organise nights outs between themselves.

If you are set on off-campus I would keep searching on daft (the sharing section) and closer to the time you will see the current crop of students leaving and places being made available.

What course are you doing by the way? I may be able to help you by getting notes from people doing the course this year (can help massively with assignments and stuff).

See yeah I am so torn!

All these points sort of make me want to live on campus, but then I don't really want to deal with guest regulations, I’m 24, and lived in my own apartment in NYC, so having someone tell me who and when I do things would be a bit strange.

I'm also a very outgoing person so I hope I don’t have too much trouble meeting people, but I figured if I wanted to live off campus, I would only want to live with students so they'd have friends and what not and that could be a social connection/circle right there. I know housing opens June 5th, so I guess I have a bit of time to decide. I was leaning towards Proby, anything good you've heard about it? I think the only attractive features are the ensuite rooms. Is there an area where there a lot of students living off campus near Smurfit campus? I definitely don't want to live on campus if it’s just students exclusive to going out with themselves, haha, know that sounds a bit rude, but I’d love to meet as many people as possible, as much as this is for school this is an experience for me. I have lots of family in Cork, so I am well familiar with the Irish culture, just not too familiar with Dublin.

Is there a certain time/month that would happen that I’d see more rooms become available with students already occupying the house (on daft.ie)? Otherwise I figured here would be the best bet to find people looking or wanting to share, or I know I saw some Trinity students looking to share in the CC, which I definitely wouldn't mind either.

I am doing MSc Marketing, which I’m nervous about since my one friend who went to UCC (undergrad and masters, he’s from Kerry) told me Irish University is much more difficult than that of the States, so hopefully I’ll be ok!

Again, thanks for all you're feedback, much appreciated!

I know people regularly have people stay over. As long as you arent doing it all the time and arent making an issue of it with your housemates its generally a bit more accepted than at undergrad residences.

I reckon that off campus would be a little tougher to actually make a social circle. There are plenty of different people on campus and they are generally a lot more willing to mix.

I have mates from both on and off campus this year. Those off campus tend to come in and hang around with those in the residence as they just tend to be more open to mixing. Most on campus are in the same boat and dont know anyone whereas those off campus often houseshare with people they already know and already have their own groups of friends.

Proby itself is nice enough and is handy for getting down to Blackrock itself for shopping/transport etc. There is not one particular area off campus. Most people I know are dotted all around Blackrock and some live in town and commute in. Living in the city definitely has its advantages but i know people who got sick of it in the rainy winter having to get out to Blackrock for a half 8 class!

You can always get to know people further through clubs and stuff in UCD (there are loads to choose from) but I just think, given your circumstances, campus would suit you. The way it usually works here is that places come up maybe a month at most before you can move in. Most get thrown up saying available immediately so like those there now are just not going to suit you.

• Advertisement

Ah thanks, you've been so much help! So Proby isn't horrible, is what your saying. I just hate that if you don't like on-campus, your kind of trapped there...which I don't really prefer. But you get me at ease with the visitor situation, cause I know in my old college when I was 18..it was annoying..and I really wouldn’t want to deal with that since I’m older now!

I guess I still have 2 months to go back and forth. I was thinking even in town maybe, but I know I’d really be distancing myself haha. Do people mostly go out in Blackrock or cc? Any preference? This question started with residences, and now I’m just asking you everything haha.

Yeah I was definitely thinking about joining a club or two since I’m pretty athletic myself, so I figured there'd be social connections there and in classes. And I’m sure I won't just limit myself to UCD friend’s haha. It's so weird going to school again and thinking about all this, last time I did this I was 18!

Is it easier if you have people to look with for a place, then looking yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I am doing MSc Marketing, which I’m nervous about since my one friend who went to UCC (undergrad and masters, he’s from Kerry) told me Irish University is much more difficult than that of the States, so hopefully I’ll be ok!

Not to be rude but your friend is talking pure bull. In my experience your average US student is generally of a far higher calibre academically than your average Irish student. While I hate using table rankings why do you think the top 100 in the world is consistently dominated by US universities if the colleges are 'so much easier'. Even your run of the mill state university would be of a higher standard than UCC for the most part. You'll get this superior attitude to US universities quite a bit off Irish students in my experience (the stupid American idea), most don't have a clue. Unless you went to somewhere like the Southern Alabama Bible College you'll do fine :).

Ah thanks, you've been so much help! So Proby isn't horrible, is what your saying. I just hate that if you don't like on-campus, your kind of trapped there...which I don't really prefer. But you get me at ease with the visitor situation, cause I know in my old college when I was 18..it was annoying..and I really wouldn’t want to deal with that since I’m older now!

Aye I had exactly the same situation in undergrad on the Belfield campus. It was a lot more strict but I know in Proby a lot of my foreign friends have had people come over from their country to stay with them a little while. Again, as long as they are not intruding on others its generally left alone. Proby itself is nice enough i think.
    I guess I still have 2 months to go back and forth. I was thinking even in town maybe, but I know I’d really be distancing myself haha. Do people mostly go out in Blackrock or cc? Any preference? This question started with residences, and now I’m just asking you everything haha.

Do take your time with the decision. Its a big one and likely to have a big influence on your enjoyment of your time here but you clearly seem to know that its a big call.

Ive lived in town for 3 years. Dublin is a great city and you are never short of stuff to do (drinking mainly for a lot of people). The thing is though, those I know commuting in from town tend to do less stuff with those who live close. After class if they go home they are staying in town whereas those around Blackrock are ore flexible to go grab a couple of beers etc.

Blackrock has a few pubs and a nightclub but we would generally go into town for greater choice and its a better nightlife overall. It depends what you are looking for I suppose.
    Yeah I was definitely thinking about joining a club or two since I’m pretty athletic myself, so I figured there'd be social connections there and in classes. And I’m sure I won't just limit myself to UCD friend’s haha. It's so weird going to school again and thinking about all this, last time I did this I was 18!

Ha I know what you mean. 25 at the start of this year and was doing all the stuff I was doing before undergrad at 18. Its a nice problem to have though :)

Some of the sports clubs have social stuff as well and often trips away. The smurfit society itself puts on a good few events, particularly at the start of the year, so these are great for making a network.
    Is it easier if you have people to look with for a place, then looking yourself?

I would say this depends. If its someone already over here then it can be a massive help as they can go view places as and when they need to which is an option you wont have until you are here.

Ah thank you haha, he's a very smart guy, and will be starting a job in Dublin at PWC so it must have not been too bad, but he got me nervous haha, and I am a worry wart! Thanks for your response!

Not to be rude but your friend is talking pure bull. In my experience your average US student is generally of a far higher calibre academically than your average Irish student. While I hate using table rankings why do you think the top 100 in the world is consistently dominated by US universities if the colleges are 'so much easier'. Even your run of the mill state university would be of a higher standard than UCC for the most part. You'll get this superior attitude to US universities quite a bit off Irish students in my experience (the stupid American idea), most don't have a clue. Unless you went to somewhere like the Southern Alabama Bible College you'll do fine :).

I forgot to address this point originally. Theres only one American in our class and hes very switched on and ive found that other American's in Smurfit seem to be ahead of the Irish equivalents. This may not always be the case but I think its fair to say its not going to be any tougher than what you did while at a US uni.

• Advertisement

Thanks to both of you and again Thanks Paul, if I get to meet you and you’re in Dublin, drinks on me!!

So basically your making it hard for me to make a decision haha, but at least I know Proby isn't a death sentence and won't ruin my time, and yeah I heard there’s bars on campus? This definitely wasn't the same at my college in NY, so VERY cool..so I’m assuming that you mean drinks after class and what not?

I am just trying to make the best decision for me at the moment so I have the most fun (studies too haha).

Ok so expect to go to cc more, my cousin who’s from Dublin said Blackrock is very cute and there’s nice bars there, but I’d imagine for a proper night out cc would be better!

Yeah I hear ya, well everything’s appreciated. I am one of those people that like to know everything so I know what I am getting into...as you can tell!

:)!

Mine is a triple of anything :P

There isnt actually a bar on smurfit campus but there are on the main UCd campus in Belfield and also a few minutes walk out of the Smurfit gates will take you to a choice pf pubs.

We generally would go for pints say a few hours after class. Another advantage of living close is that we then go home for food and then can all meet handily at say 8 and go for beers and then hit town. If you are in town you would probably end up just meeting everyone out or having to hang around at someones for a few hours.

Studies are important of course but I put my overall life first. If im happy in that then ill be more likely to study properly.

Any other Q's about Smurfit/Dublin generally fire away. I dont always check the UCD forum so feel free to PM me as ill see them easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cealabeala

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering whether anyone could tell me if many Masters/ Post grad students live in on-campus accommodation? Or if there are certain area's to look for off-campus accommodation in?

i'm curious as to this answer too!! otherwise i am going to book on campus accomodation for June 5th!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sonate

i'm doing my application online these days and i'll consider about the accommodation later(in May or June). i'll contact u then Christina!

Wendy

sonate wrote: »
    i'm doing my application online these days and i'll consider about the accommodation later(in May or June). i'll contact u then Christina!

Wendy

Hey Wendy, sounds good to me, definitely let me know :)!

Christina

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sonate

I'll arrive in Dublin at end of August and plan to book on-campus accomodation. But I'm a little bit puzzled about what is the "International Office Approved Semester Only Students €2,289".

It says "Semester only students are not eligible to pay in instalments - The entire fees should be paid on or before the first day of the license period and will consist of €2,060 license fee, €194 utilities plus the €35 insurance charge."

Is that €2,289 required and included in fees (€3,880)?

the link: (Blackrock Residences) http://www.ucd.ie/residences/studentpages/fees201213/

And within how many days will I know if there are any rooms for me?

thank you all very much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 magpie0508

Hi Sonate, I emailed internatinal office the other day and that's their answer considering the question.
    Many thanks for your email and congratulations on your successful application to UCD. Regarding single semester accommodation – unfortunately the only students that are able to book single semester are exchange and Erasmus international students. As a UCD graduate student, you do not fall into this category and as such, will have to apply for a full academic year. You will have to apply for a room on 5th June, when rooms will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. I have attached an information sheet on off-campus accommodation also, for your information. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

And take Glenomena for example, that will cost 7,705 euro as whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mir.anda

hey team UCD graduate students,

i'm also heading to smurfit this august for the 2012-13 school year, studying a masters in strategic management and planning. also looking for accommodation, off or on campus. also pretty apprehensive of locking myself into a spot too soon.
    sounds like we're in the same boat!

i'm 25 from vancouver, canada. looking to live with some laid-back folks ... not sure if that's at proby hall or off-campus in blackrock, belfield, or dublin? investigating now into the whole on-campus accommodation bit ... and it's slightly overwhelming.

anyways, fire me a note.
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spower11

Hey Christina,

My name is Stephen and I've just been accepted to do the Msc in Marketing for 12/13 as well. I'm from Cork and I've plenty of experience of Dublin but I'm also unsure whether I'll live in student accomodation or go private. I'm leaning on the latter because I feel the student accom might be a bit too hectic for masters students. Anyway, I was wondering what option you landed on or have you decided yet?

I'm looking on daft.ie and there seems to be some really cool accom in Blackrock and some of them also seem pretty cheap for Dublin!
    Probably pocket change compared to NYC anyway eh :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Krys22

Hey Guys I am doing a masters in International Management CEMS, will be in Dublin begining on Sept, I know thats leaving things a bit late so will definitely need somewhere to live for about 4 months. I wonder if theres anyone else out there doing the same MSc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lily5

Hi everyone

I am heading to UCD for CEMS MSc International Management this september. I have already booked a room at Novitiate. As I should be spending one semester at UCD, I thought on-campus accommodation would be better as compared to off-campus considering there will be only 4 months to soak in campus life at UCD this fall.

Now I'm starting to wonder whether I made a good decision.

lily5 wrote: »
    Now I'm starting to wonder whether I made a good decision.
    Hey Lily, I am going to UCD and have booked a room at Blackrock Novitiate as well(but I am not a smurfit business student). Are you wondering if it is a good decision going UCD or booking Novitiate or living on-campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lily5

Hi Magpie

I meant that statement for Blackrock Novitiate purely! I've read on some thread here that Proby's the best residence on-campus at Blackrock.

I am a Smurfit Business student.

The doubt regarding Novitiate is purely because it's all self-catering in Blackrock in the on-campus residences.

What do you intend to do regarding this aspect?

Hi Magpie

I meant that statement for Blackrock Novitiate purely! I've read on some thread here that Proby's the best residence on-campus at Blackrock.
    Maybe yes, I've heared some "best residence" threads on the boards. Well that's OK for me if not living in the best residence in UCD.
    The doubt regarding Novitiate is purely because it's all self-catering in Blackrock in the on-campus residences.

What do you intend to do regarding this aspect?
    Self-catering's just fine (though I cannot cook well myself). I guess my first major is Computer Science and Cooking will be my second.

Advertisement