Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Homebrew?

• 19-07-2011 12:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

So the Tesco in naas sells homebrew equipment but for me its a bit far out..anybody know of one in Dublin that also sells it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

think naas is the only one so far, its the biggest tesco so has the largest range. though i'm sure if the sales go well it will spread to other stores too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Is there more than one Tesco in Naas was in the one beside Pennys last week and didnt see anything and it is far from big?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What sorta stuff do they sell?

The Maynooth one is pretty big too, would be handy if they got it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Is there more than one Tesco in Naas was in the one beside Pennys last week and didnt see anything and it is far from big?

Yeah a hugh new one on the Monread road, not far from the ball.

Continue down passed Woodies and Smyths if your heading from Dublin and it's on the right.
    Biggest one in Ireland I've been led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is it cheaper than homebrew stores? do they sell kits or just equipment?

• Advertisement

I've been there, but not recently.
    I'll take a look the weekend if i'm down that direction.

Anyone else know what they have in store. Can't find anything on their website.

The Mulk wrote: »
    Can't find anything on their website.
    with tesco when you log onto the site it knows your clubcard number and your address and only shows stuff in your local store.

I wish there was an option to select a different shop.

Somebody living near might be able to see it and cut & paste it here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Went down there last week after hearing about them selling kits and couldnt find them anywhere in store :confused::confused:

Anyone know where abouts in the store theyre located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 homebrew.ie

i droped down the other day just to see whats what got to say i wasnt impressed by there renge

What weren't you impressed by, I'm curious, can you expand.

Tesco Home Brew seems to be like an urban legend at this stage, although I read in England they sell Young's(?) kits in the larger stores along with the basics like fermentors, bottle cappers and some ingredients.

The curiosity is getting the better of me so i'll have to take a trip down:D

• Advertisement

I would have only expected a small range to test the water. Just like I think dunnes started to sell limited amounts of protein powders used by athletes, most would make do with the poor choice for convenience.

Is there anywhere in dublin city centre actually selling kits now?

Country cellar in dun laoghaire told me they don't do it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

My Beer And Wine in Rathmines, although they don't stick to their opening hours and they're not as cheap as online retailers. Handy if you need something on the spot, though.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Went down there last week after hearing about them selling kits and couldnt find them anywhere in store :confused::confused:

Anyone know where abouts in the store theyre located?

They are down near all the kitchen bins and tins of paint:confused:

A mix of beer kits and wine kits and a few misc. items/ingredients.

Mostly youngs beer kits and brew buddy with a woodforde's wherry and a few John Bull tins.
    They did have yeast sachets, sanitiser and bottle tops. Handy to know if you are stuck.
    They had a few 5 Gallon kegs too.
    Didn't seem to be very cheap compared to any other HB shops i've browsed in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Donny5 wrote: »
    My Beer And Wine in Rathmines, although they don't stick to their opening hours and they're not as cheap as online retailers. Handy if you need something on the spot, though.

They open from 12-7pm except on mondays..they're not the cheapest place in the world but they're the only bricks and mortar homebrew shop in Dublin.

They also have a very large range of stuff and the guys who work there know thier stuff.

Didn't seem to be very cheap compared to any other HB shops i've browsed in.

Well they had beer kits from 13 euro which isnt bad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Degsy wrote: »
    Well they had beer kits from 13 euro which isnt bad.

Mate of mine said that you could make a complete kit up with all the stuff they have there.Going to head down before I order my kit off the web and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Degsy wrote: »
    They open from 12-7pm except on mondays..they're not the cheapest place in the world but they're the only bricks and mortar homebrew shop in Dublin.

They also have a very large range of stuff and the guys who work there know thier stuff.

Yeah, and twice I turned up there during their opening hours and they were shut, so I won't be bothering with them again.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Mate of mine said that you could make a complete kit up with all the stuff they have there.Going to head down before I order my kit off the web and see.

Didn't notice any 5 gallon buckets for fermenting only kegs. Maybe the kegs can be used i'm not sure. They seemed to have everything else you would need except for maybe brewers sugar or malt.

Has anyone used the Young's Harvest Pilsner? If it was similar to the Coopers one i'll give it a go.

Didn't notice any 5 gallon buckets for fermenting only kegs. Maybe the kegs can be used i'm not sure..

You can get buckets in lots of places..try www.alpack.ie or google ashtown packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

I got kitted out from My Beer and wine in Rathmines, they seem to have everything you need. You can view the range at http://www.mybeerandwine.ie/

I got all of the hardware, a second bucket and a wheat beer kit for 99Eur. I understand that you could get the hardware for 30-something and a cheaper beer kit, so you could probably get started on your first batch for around 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Do they sell Coopers kits? And dry malt extract?

Hope to go there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I remember about fifteen years ago, Easons in Galway used sell brewing kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Anyone know the low down on mybeerandwine rathmines store? Did I read somewhere they just went online only? Dead handy considering there the only wall in store in dublin! Does anyone find it strange that there's no other shop in dublin!(that I know of anyway}...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Armelodie wrote: »
    Anyone know the low down on mybeerandwine rathmines store? Did I read somewhere they just went online only? Dead handy considering there the only wall in store in dublin! Does anyone find it strange that there's no other shop in dublin!(that I know of anyway}...

Yea the shop is closed, online orders only. Which is why I am going to Tescos for a look. Yes it is hard to believe there is no walk-in shop in Dublin. I thought a recession would only make a place like that busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Tesco Clarehall are stocking some stuff. Coopers kits, a lot of Youngs bits and bobs and Geordie kits. Wine making paraphernalia as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Just after making the trip to Clarehall, well worth it.

Can anyone tell me what beer finings are?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

They help to clear the beer, as in clear cloudiness etc. But there's an art to using them.

Tesco Maynooth have also stocked up on HB materials.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Just after making the trip to Clarehall, well worth it.

Can anyone tell me what beer finings are?

Clarehall or Clearwater....?did not know Clarehall had a home brew section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Dub13 wrote: »
    Clarehall or Clearwater....?did not know Clarehall had a home brew section.

Clarehall, nice little section, basicly everyting you need. No brewing sugar though, Brewers enhancer but no sugar!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Son0vagun wrote: »

Clarehall, nice little section, basicly everyting you need. No brewing sugar though, Brewers enhancer but no sugar!

Cheers,that's my local Tesco so will have to pop in.

Advertisement