Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving/Learning to swim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Admittedly for adults learning to swim the frontcrawl can be quite daunting. This is probably why I’d always start to teach it first and then progress to the other strokes. The first thing I would ask is how comfortable you are in the water? The fact that people face is in the water, they tend to rush everything and never get any rhythm. I know it’s hard but you relax and just get used to the movements, then you can speed it up later. This is a hard balance as if you don’t move your arms or legs fast enough, you go nowhere.

I’d start by concentrating on legs only to get you started. When you’re comfortable with that and they come quite naturally, you can attempt to bring in the arms. Maybe one at a time. If you’re using a float hold it out on front and just practice your kicking. Then progress to holding the end of the board, kicking and do the pull with one arm and back to holding the board. In the same attempt, now try the other arm. By holding the board it slows everything down and gives you support (physical and mental :))

The biggest thing by far is to relax and take your time in the beginning. If you’ve ever seen very good competitive swimmers, they make it look gracefully and easy. Long, smooth, relaxed strokes. I always see people build themselves up, throw themselves into a short burst of frontcrawl with arms flaying around and then trying to stand as quickly as possible with a look on their faces like “thank god I survived”. Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just learning how to swim at the moment myself, well I can swim a full length but am wrecked afer it, as I basically drag myself through the water with my arms.
    Some great advice here, I think I need to try concentrate on slowing down the process.

Just some questions, for 1-2-1 lessons, would the instructor normally get in the pool with you or just be at the edge, I'd kinda assumed they would get in as would be able to watch, demonstrate and explain better, but from some stuff I've read here that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also would most pools have floats and kickboards availabe if you asked, I reckon if I can just focus on my legs and improve them I'd find it easier to use them when using arms too.

I would always get in with my clients but it's not always the case with all teachers. Also there are some advantages to being on the bank to watch the strokes. So I'd end up being in and out during the time.

Floats and kickboards would be available at most pools. Just ask the lifeguard nicely to borrow one. They may just be keeping the bank tidy or stopping the kids messing with them.

One thing on the legs. Dont get too bogged down trying to get really fast at it. I'd focus enough so you can do it naturally and without thinking too hard at it. But you don't need to be flying along on kick only - not yet anyways. Plus I've seen adults where no matter how hard they try, they never get anywhere with the kick only. It doesn't stop them progressing with the stroke but when you're learning from scratch - learn correctly.

Kicking enough to stop your legs sinking and messing up your body position - anything over that is a bonus.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hill16upthedubs

is there anywhere in dublin thats does private lesson, i have to learn how to swim, have been putting it off for years.

any help appreicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 petite

Did my 2nd lesson there over the w/end -I was put off learning as a child, had a bad experience.
    Was terrified of putting my head under the water but instructor managed to get me to take the plunge and put my head under - i'm grand now.
    The only thing that put me off was him asking me to swim unaided after 50mins of lessons - of course I panicked.

Went to pool last night to practice so hopefully i'll be a mermaid in no time!

• Advertisement

@hill16upthedubs: Re private lessons - I'm not sure of your area. Most pools would know a good teacher or coach who would do private lessons. Just ask at the reception of the pool or approach a teacher after their class if you're near. They'll at least point you in the right direction.

@petite: That's a good sign. They clearly thought you where capable. It's a hard balance for a teacher. You have to help and encourage along but if you're too nice the swimmers will progress slowly enough. They have to be pushed a little outside of their comfort zone every few lessons. It's all in your head - you think you can't do it and the teacher is thinking, their a good swimmer if they just went for it. Try everything as you teacher isn't going to ask you to do something you can't. You thought you couldn't put your face in the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just thought I'd let you know about a great website I found, http://www.swimsmooth.com/ .

Maybe not great for people just starting to learn, but plenty of tips for others of all abilities.

Has a handy little downloadable app which shows perfect swim stroke and can slow it down and view from different angles, you do have to sign up for this but its free.

Anyway I've picked up lots from it so thought I'd share the wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I've just started trying to learn to swim at the weekend there. Was in the sea and was able to swim a bit but after about 10 seconds my shorts fill up with air and that pushes my lower body up towards the surface off the water and makes my upper body go down towards the surface, and when that happens I always think my head will go under and hence I panic and start flapping and have to stand up. Will my head go under the surface if this happens? Is there anything to stop shorts from filling up with water? Theres no way I'm going to wear speedos!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I've just started trying to learn to swim at the weekend there. Was in the sea and was able to swim a bit but after about 10 seconds my shorts fill up with air and that pushes my lower body up towards the surface off the water and makes my upper body go down towards the surface, and when that happens I always think my head will go under and hence I panic and start flapping and have to stand up. Will my head go under the surface if this happens? Is there anything to stop shorts from filling up with water? Theres no way I'm going to wear speedos!

Great to hear your learning to swim in the Sea!! it must be a lot harder than a pool I dont think shorts are the best because you will get a lot of drag with the extra weight off them i know you dont want to use speedos my swim teacher i used to go to said the speedos were the best even though i didnt like them myself. i got used to them and when you try them youll notice the difference its a lot easier to go through the water than with shorts best of luck anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

bob50 wrote: »
    Great to hear your learning to swim in the Sea!! it must be a lot harder than a pool I dont think shorts are the best because you will get a lot of drag with the extra weight off them i know you dont want to use speedos my swim teacher i used to go to said the speedos were the best even though i didnt like them myself. i got used to them and when you try them youll notice the difference its a lot easier to go through the water than with shorts best of luck anyway

Well the sea I was in was pretty calm that day so it was grand, also I think maybe the salt water helps you to float more? I was hardly having to do any work to stay afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 emzyo1990

I am a swimming teacher and have lots of experience teaching adults with a fear of water and you would be suprised how many adults are in your situation. I find that simple things like while you are in the shower or the bath putting you face under the running water of splashing water on your face while washing will help you to be more confident in the pool. when you go swimming try blowing bubbles in the water for a while before you try submerging your face complelty and if you are still apprehensive try it in stages like putting your mouth in the going as far as you nose then your forehead working towards putting your whole head under, remember baby steps is the key so take your time and dont rush. 1-2-1 lessons are probably the best in your situation as beginniers lessons do not really cater for people with a fear of water and this is why you would find the leson short, when you build some water confidance then try group lessons.

as for the issue with buoyancy, first get a woggle and bring it around your back and float on your back pushing your belly up to the ceiling, get someone to go swimming with you if you arent confident enough to try it yourself, prefarably someone you trust, practice in shallow water and remember there is really no fear of you as you will be able o stand up and if all else fails there will be a lifeguard watching closly.
    if you have and questions i would be delightd to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi all

for years now i can travel happily up and down the pool with a kickboard, but i think i have got too dependant on it. I can alternate hands on the board but just cant let go as i find it difficult to stand up again without the board to balance off. I know its a case of bring your head up out of the water and like an equilibrium your legs will drop down, unfortunately when i try this i end up lunging forward head first into the water and have to splash around submerged to finally get standing. This when it happens me frightens me a little, as i had a bed experience coming off slide in trabolgan as a teenager. Any tips to overcome this hindrance as i reckon if i could lose the kickboard i could swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Hey. I have tried so many times to learn. About two years ago i was learning and got to the point where i was going to attempt the breast stroke, but i panicked and the next week i went i couldn't even stay afloat. I just panic. Is there anywhere in cork that does 1-2-1? thanks a mil:)

@Tommyh1977

That’s a classic mistake and something nearly all adults struggle with when starting to learn to swim. I’d teach it differently. If you lift your head and try to drop your legs, you’ll go face first into the water hopping forward on one leg to try and get a balance. It’s your brains natural reaction because this is what you’d do if you where falling in air. But we’re in a different medium – water. Here’s my two key tips:

1. Slightly counter intuitive but especially when starting do the standing part slowly. The faster you try, the more splash and churn in the water and you’ll end up disorientated or with a mouth full of water.
    2. Try this at the side of the pool first at the wall and then progress from there. When trying to stand from a prone face in the water position. Keep your head in the water, first bring your knee up to your chest and only then lift your head. This will rotate your body to a tucked sitting position and when you are vertical, extend your legs and stand up.

Hope this makes sense and is some help.

@rebel10
    Unfortunately I’m not familiar with anybody down that area. Drop into your local pool and ask though. Most pools would know of one of their teachers who would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tierney2

Just finished a 8 week course of Improver lessons in UL Arena.. very good. only 3 in the class!
    Generally good fitness but Want to build up my water fitness.. Is there anything more to this than just going in and trying to build up my distances??? Starting at 2 lengths and building on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Thanks Csleeper - will be in the pool in the next few days will report how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

If anyone can recommend a good instructor for adult 1-2-1 absolute beginner lessons in either Dublin City Centre or Dublin North could they mention it here or drop me a PM please.

Looking to get going with lessons in the next week or so having finally decided to take the plunge!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭midlands19

i am 19 years old .when i was younger (age 5-10) i tryed learning swim but coulnt as i have a fear of sinking and hate getting eyes wet .. i am going to give it a goo now that i have joined the gym . what should i expect from the lessons and giveing it a go ?

mark

Not totally sure what you mean by expect? As for the actual organisation or structure of the lessons – I’m not sure. It’ll depend on where you go. It’ll be adult lessons though so probably starting in the shallow end and the teacher may be in the water or on the bank.
    As for progression and learning to swim, this will depend on how comfortable you are in the water. Just remember that the teacher is not going to ask you to do anything unsafe or outside your capability. So just try everything and try to enjoy it as much as possible because once you’re comfortable in the water, the rest will come much quicker.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

hi there,

I am looking to get better at swimming. I can do a basic stroke (sorry if that is not the exact term) but i still get a little freaked out in deep water and when trying to regulate my breathing - putting head in and out of water etc.

I would like to do some classes or even just get some tips. Does anyone know of somewhere in North Dublin (living in Raheny - Killeter area) where i could try some lessons?

I would really like to get to a level where I could swim regularly at a good distance without killing myself. Right now when I go to the pool I am knackering myself over a small distance!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Thepones wrote: »
    hi there,

I am looking to get better at swimming. I can do a basic stroke (sorry if that is not the exact term) but i still get a little freaked out in deep water and when trying to regulate my breathing - putting head in and out of water etc.

I would like to do some classes or even just get some tips. Does anyone know of somewhere in North Dublin (living in Raheny - Killeter area) where i could try some lessons?

I would really like to get to a level where I could swim regularly at a good distance without killing myself. Right now when I go to the pool I am knackering myself over a small distance!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Give the PSLC in Portmarnock a call on 8462122, they do adult lessons on a Tuesday night

Thanks Burkatron, will try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 welshlady2010

After a session of six classes for half a hour you should be bouyant in the your water its all about confidence in yourself and also confidence in the teacher that is teaching you......... Like someone mentioned in another thread you are better to get a teacher who is definetly a level two level someone who teaches regularly and can see what you need to improve yourself;)

Thanks Welshlady

Waiting for a few places to get back to me. Heading to gym in Westwood later so will check out their rates as well. I have heard it is quite expensive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Iago wrote: »
    If anyone can recommend a good instructor for adult 1-2-1 absolute beginner lessons in either Dublin City Centre or Dublin North could they mention it here or drop me a PM please.

Looking to get going with lessons in the next week or so having finally decided to take the plunge!
    did you have any lessons yet? instuctor any good? I'm looking for someone for 1-2-1 too

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dan2

I would like to learn to swim; I'd like to get an intensive start for a couple of days 1-2-1 instruction; is there anyone or anywhere in Ireland that can facilitate this? I would appreciate any help or info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

dan2 wrote: »
    I would like to learn to swim; I'd like to get an intensive start for a couple of days 1-2-1 instruction; is there anyone or anywhere in Ireland that can facilitate this? I would appreciate any help or info.

Heya, a good start would be to let people know where abouts you're based??

Burkatron wrote: »
    Heya, a good start would be to let people know where abouts you're based??
    I'm in Cork, but can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

dan2 wrote: »
    I'm in Cork, but can travel.
    Hey Dan, if you look in the Cork City forum you will see a thread just like this but obviously local. Think there is somewhere on the south link, could be wrong but have a look anyway.:)

• Advertisement

rebel10 wrote: »
    Hey Dan, if you look in the Cork City forum you will see a thread just like this but obviously local. Think there is somewhere on the south link, could be wrong but have a look anyway.:)

Thanks, much appreciated.

Advertisement