Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reason for my infraction

• 25-07-2012 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

I get a yellow card for this.
    Originally Posted by Samich

Because being thick makes you a bad person. Some proper turds in this thread.

Got the PM from a mod saying this "There's no reason to insult people"

Yet the post I was replying to in the first place goes unpunished.
    Indeed, its not Facebook's fault that she's a thicko.

Why is this? Is it only boards members we can't insult.

Had to laugh at the note in the mod PM too
    This site is for civil discussion and so we don't allow discussion to descend into name calling and petty abuse.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Samich wrote: »
    I get a yellow card for this.

Got the PM from a mod saying this "There's no reason to insult people"

Yet the post I was replying to in the first place goes unpunished.

Why is this? Is it only boards members we can't insult.

Had to laugh at the note in the mod PM too
    I'm not particularly impressed with the post you responded to myself, nor was I with some other posts on that thread, just from a quick glance, but that's a different matter to the one we are discussing here, which is whether your yellow card / warning was deserved. If you wish to discuss more general issues re: that thread, Feedback might be the appropriate forum; in fact, I think I saw it mentioned in there the other day.

Your comment was "some proper turds in this thread". This was referring to the people you were having the discussion with / directly responding to, and who could reasonably be expected to read your comment.

That's a bit like being in the middle of a discussion in the pub, not liking some of the comments made, and announcing "some proper turds in this bar to-night".

That's pretty in-your-face directly uncivil. You might think it; we all might might think it at some stage in our lives, but we don't say it aloud.

Because it's downright rude.

Because it's lowering ourselves to the level of those we're complaining of, and below.

Because there will be consequences on a practical level, and we'll probably get a puck in the jaw.

Well, here on Boards the consequences are a warning, an infraction or a ban.

Given that this one is just a yellow card / warning, I suspect the mod went easy and took the context into account to some extent. I would normally expect to see at least a red card for a comment like that.

Seems a fair call to me tbh.

Upheld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I'm not particularly impressed with the post you responded to myself, nor was I with some other posts on that thread, just from a quick glance, but that's a different matter to the one we are discussing here, which is whether your yellow card / warning was deserved. If you wish to discuss more general issues re: that thread, Feedback might be the appropriate forum; in fact, I think I saw it mentioned in there the other day.

Your comment was "some proper turds in this thread". This was referring to the people you were having the discussion with / directly responding to, and who could reasonably be expected to read your comment.

That's a bit like being in the middle of a discussion in the pub, not liking some of the comments made, and announcing "some proper turds in this bar to-night".

That's pretty in-your-face directly uncivil. You might think it; we all might might think it at some stage in our lives, but we don't say it aloud.

Because it's downright rude.

Because it's lowering ourselves to the level of those we're complaining of, and below.

Because there will be consequences on a practical level, and we'll probably get a puck in the jaw.

Well, here on Boards the consequences are a warning, an infraction or a ban.

Given that this one is just a yellow card / warning, I suspect the mod went easy and took the context into account to some extent. I would normally expect to see at least a red card for a comment like that.

Seems a fair call to me tbh.

Upheld.

Well a bit of fairness wouldn't go a miss surely then?

Why did I get an infraction and the poster above me did not?

Sammich,

I really don't think you took the time to read my post properly; please do so again.

1. I pointed out that this process was for dealing with your yellow card, and yours alone.

2. I pointed out that you were not comparing like with like; that you were carded for directly insulting the people you were in conversation with, rather than commenting on the actions of another person who had chosen to put those actions in the public domain.

3. I employed an analogy to illustrate the difference. One which I was quite pleased with; I am somewhat disappointed that it failed to impress you!

Again: I do not see any reason to overturn the mod's decision on this one, and that is my final response on this one.

You may ofc ask an admin to review the situation further if you feel that they are likely to see it differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Where do I go to protest the poster above me got away with the same thign?

1. I have already pointed out twice that it's not the same thing.

If you wish to discuss more general issues re: that thread, Feedback might be the appropriate forum; in fact, I think I saw it mentioned in there the other day.
    However, you will not be allowed to dispute your yellow card there; this is the place for that, and it has already been more than comprehensively dealt with.

So I really don't know where you should go to stage your protest, dude. If you make it to the RTE news though, do give me a heads-up!

• Advertisement
Advertisement