Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9wks Pregnant

• 19-04-2012 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I am 9 weeks pregnant. Don't really have morning sickness but already have a little bump. They told me I had more fluid than normal on the womb so I think that is why I have a little bump this early.

I have my 13wk scan in May. I am very nervous that they will tell me that the baby hasn't developed past 6wks (that was when I got my last scan)

I keep thinking maybe I ate the wrong thing or did the wrong thing and somehow the baby won't be there at the next scan.
    The fact that I have no morning sickness is really worrying me.

Has anyone else had this thoughts or fears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I am 9 weeks pregnant. Don't really have morning sickness but already have a little bump. They told me I had more fluid than normal on the womb so I think that is why I have a little bump this early.

I have my 13wk scan in May. I am very nervous that they will tell me that the baby hasn't developed past 6wks (that was when I got my last scan)

I keep thinking maybe I ate the wrong thing or did the wrong thing and somehow the baby won't be there at the next scan.
    The fact that I have no morning sickness is really worrying me.

Has anyone else had this thoughts or fears?

Really don't worry about lack of morning sickness!! It really only affects a minority of poor unfortunate ppl!! I didn't feel sick once and now have a 9 week old baby girl!!
    I had a previous miscarriage and felt the same on both pregnancies, you just have stay positive and have faith - don't expect the worst, it doesn't do you or your baby any good! Hope everything goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

yep!
    the first twelve weeks is a horrible time for worrying, but try relax, there is no reason for you to think the baby is anything but fine. other wise you'd have pain or bleeding, just enjoy this time you won't see it going!
    im 29 weeks now and still find things to worry about but comfort eating helps lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

dublinlady wrote: »
    Really don't worry about lack of morning sickness!! It really only affects a minority of poor unfortunate ppl!! I didn't feel sick once and now have a 9 week old baby girl!!
    I had a previous miscarriage and felt the same on both pregnancies, you just have stay positive and have faith - don't expect the worst, it doesn't do you or your baby any good! Hope everything goes well for you!

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. You must be delighted to have a little gorgeous 9wks old baby now :D
    Thanks for your positive words. Must resist urge to worry!!:D:D

javagal wrote: »
    yep!
    the first twelve weeks is a horrible time for worrying, but try relax, there is no reason for you to think the baby is anything but fine. other wise you'd have pain or bleeding, just enjoy this time you won't see it going!
    im 29 weeks now and still find things to worry about but comfort eating helps lol

Comfort eating definitely helps! Ben&Jerry's anyone?! :D
    I would love a Ben&Jerry's now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Congratulations first of all! I'm 17 weeks now and went through the same emotions. Have had very few symptoms at all so I regularly feel like "there must be something wrong, I should feel worse". But mostly I just feel "I'm really lucky to be feeling this well".
    I thought that everyone gets quite sick with pregnancy but really I think you just hear the horror stories more often than the happy ones, because they're more interesting and scary than the ones about women who have easier pregnancies.
    All you can do is stay positive. My doctor said to me "don't dwell on the chance that you might miscarry, think about the 85% chance that everything will go well!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I was pretty worried re this stuff too in the beginning as I didn't have morning sickness, just occasional on and off nausea. I didn't get a scan til 9 wks and I paid for that one (95) as a Christmas present to myself just to get reassurance. Then I had the 12 wk one. Between 12 wks and 22 weeks I had nothing and I found by 19 wks I was freaking out again so I went into the GP's (with a semi-genuine complaint re something else :D) and begged him to get the doppler out. Heard the heartbeat and felt so much better.

You could literally worry about EVERYTHING right up til the birth, and then a huge amount of other things to worry about more comes up. But stress is NOT good for you or baby so just enjoy the pregnancy as much as you can and have the positive viewpoint that everything is fine, this helped me deal with it. Definitely something can still go wrong but the vast majority of pregnancies carry on with no hiccups.

If you're really really concerned then you could go and get a private scan and you can get these for about 95 euro cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Comfort eating definitely helps! Ben&Jerry's anyone?! :D
    I would love a Ben&Jerry's now!!

I ate 3/4 of a tub of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food last week :eek: (I allowed OH to have the other 1/4) and I refuse to feel guilty about it.
    I won't do it again for a while but it was so great at the time!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was incredibly sick for 9 months on my 1st and I still and the same worries.
    It is normal especially after your loss.
    Good Luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Completely normal to feel that way, I worried about every little ache or twinge I felt and got really upset when I accidently drank some unpasteurised juice (M&S brand by the way- just a heads up to check it first!). I had the same worries about the baby not actually being there when they scanned, I suppose it cos your still trying to get your head around the fact that your pregnant, and it doesnt really sink in for a while. I'm 25 weeks now and sometimes I still can't believe it! Don't worry you're not alone, best of luck with everything!

Also- stay away from google!! You'll drive yourself mad, I had cramps on one side in early pregnancy and google had me convinced it was an ectopic pregnancy! :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I never had sickness, nausea, cravings, boob increase, constipation etc etc. I only ever felt a tiny bit tired in the first trimester - but since I'm a lazy sod anyway, it didnt look much different.

Even now I'm 3 weeks off my due date and never had any heartburn, or anything listed in the books - not even nesting is kicking in! I had one tiny craving, and that was it. I know loads of girls who said they didnt get nausea or sickness - it only affects about 14% of women anyway.

Try not to worry - unless you are doing cigarettes, drugs or alcohol, nothing foodwise within reason that you take will cause harm - most of the advice is precautionary, due to the higher possiblity of harmful bacteria found in some foods if not prepared properly.

Avoid the usual suspects, of course, but what I'm saying is that if you eat something say, and that you find out contains raw egg after you ate it, its still only a small chance that that particular egg product in that particular food product would contain salmonella.

Still, I cant wait until I have a soft fried egg double decker sambo;)

We got a doppler that can be used from week 12 to birth, but by about week 20 you will start to feel movements anyway so you wont need to use it much. It was a great reassurance to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

If you werent worried, there would be something wrong with you!! as EVERY woman worries before that first scan...
    I didnt have any morning sickness either, and have been having a generally fine pregnancy in comparison to most, but i was very worried before i had my first scan...

I have quite the mover inside me though,(27weeks) which worries me!!, if i thought baby wasnt moving enough..then i would worry about that too...

Its okay to be worried!!
    you can go and pay for a private early scan before your hospital one if you feel it would reassure you though..

Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I could barely sleep with worry the night before my scan last week and I was so sick that a few days before I burst the blood vessels in my eyes from vomiting. It's normal to worry, especially when you had such a big fright at the start of your pregnancy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I never got morning sickness, or the heightened sense of smell or any of that other stuff.. and I didn't start to show until around 14 weeks, so don't worry..

If you find that it's causing you undue stress, then maybe a private scan would put your mind at ease?

I had one at 8 weeks as I had a history of miscarriage and it really put my mind at east.. it cost around €145 but it was money well spent imho.. saved me stressing out until my Hospital scan rolled around..

Best of luck and congrats :)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I was incredibly sick for 9 months on my 1st and I still and the same worries.
    It is normal especially after your loss.
    Good Luck:)

I guess it's hard to stop worrying :(
    0ctober wrote: »
    Completely normal to feel that way, I worried about every little ache or twinge I felt and got really upset when I accidently drank some unpasteurised juice (M&S brand by the way- just a heads up to check it first!). I had the same worries about the baby not actually being there when they scanned, I suppose it cos your still trying to get your head around the fact that your pregnant, and it doesnt really sink in for a while. I'm 25 weeks now and sometimes I still can't believe it! Don't worry you're not alone, best of luck with everything!

Also- stay away from google!! You'll drive yourself mad, I had cramps on one side in early pregnancy and google had me convinced it was an ectopic pregnancy! :rolleyes:

I feel like i'm constantly on knicker watch. Feel a bit more relaxed now. I'm 11wks on Friday. Have scan in two more weeks! I'll be relieved when I see the baby!
    emer_b wrote: »
    Congratulations first of all! I'm 17 weeks now and went through the same emotions. Have had very few symptoms at all so I regularly feel like "there must be something wrong, I should feel worse". But mostly I just feel "I'm really lucky to be feeling this well".
    I thought that everyone gets quite sick with pregnancy but really I think you just hear the horror stories more often than the happy ones, because they're more interesting and scary than the ones about women who have easier pregnancies.
    All you can do is stay positive. My doctor said to me "don't dwell on the chance that you might miscarry, think about the 85% chance that everything will go well!".

I'll try and think of the 85% chance :D thanks
    Mink wrote: »
    I was pretty worried re this stuff too in the beginning as I didn't have morning sickness, just occasional on and off nausea. I didn't get a scan til 9 wks and I paid for that one (95) as a Christmas present to myself just to get reassurance. Then I had the 12 wk one. Between 12 wks and 22 weeks I had nothing and I found by 19 wks I was freaking out again so I went into the GP's (with a semi-genuine complaint re something else :D) and begged him to get the doppler out. Heard the heartbeat and felt so much better.

You could literally worry about EVERYTHING right up til the birth, and then a huge amount of other things to worry about more comes up. But stress is NOT good for you or baby so just enjoy the pregnancy as much as you can and have the positive viewpoint that everything is fine, this helped me deal with it. Definitely something can still go wrong but the vast majority of pregnancies carry on with no hiccups.

If you're really really concerned then you could go and get a private scan and you can get these for about 95 euro cheapest.

I was seriously considering a private scan but my scan in Rotunda is only two weeks away now. I just need to stay positive! It's so hard not to worry.
    Mink wrote: »
    I ate 3/4 of a tub of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food last week :eek: (I allowed OH to have the other 1/4) and I refuse to feel guilty about it.
    I won't do it again for a while but it was so great at the time!

Love Ben n Jerrys :D
    Neyite wrote: »
    I never had sickness, nausea, cravings, boob increase, constipation etc etc. I only ever felt a tiny bit tired in the first trimester - but since I'm a lazy sod anyway, it didnt look much different.

Even now I'm 3 weeks off my due date and never had any heartburn, or anything listed in the books - not even nesting is kicking in! I had one tiny craving, and that was it. I know loads of girls who said they didnt get nausea or sickness - it only affects about 14% of women anyway.

Try not to worry - unless you are doing cigarettes, drugs or alcohol, nothing foodwise within reason that you take will cause harm - most of the advice is precautionary, due to the higher possiblity of harmful bacteria found in some foods if not prepared properly.

Avoid the usual suspects, of course, but what I'm saying is that if you eat something say, and that you find out contains raw egg after you ate it, its still only a small chance that that particular egg product in that particular food product would contain salmonella.

Still, I cant wait until I have a soft fried egg double decker sambo;)

We got a doppler that can be used from week 12 to birth, but by about week 20 you will start to feel movements anyway so you wont need to use it much. It was a great reassurance to have it.

Thanks! Nice to know i'm not the only one who didn't get the usual symptoms.
    Can't wait until I can eat sushi again :D
    silly wrote: »
    If you werent worried, there would be something wrong with you!! as EVERY woman worries before that first scan...
    I didnt have any morning sickness either, and have been having a generally fine pregnancy in comparison to most, but i was very worried before i had my first scan...

I have quite the mover inside me though,(27weeks) which worries me!!, if i thought baby wasnt moving enough..then i would worry about that too...

Its okay to be worried!!
    you can go and pay for a private early scan before your hospital one if you feel it would reassure you though..

Best of Luck!

Thanks. I was going to go private but only 2wks left until the scan at Rotunda . I hope the two weeks go fast!
    iguana wrote: »
    I could barely sleep with worry the night before my scan last week and I was so sick that a few days before I burst the blood vessels in my eyes from vomiting. It's normal to worry, especially when you had such a big fright at the start of your pregnancy.

It's just the fear that it won't be normal or I have lost it. Just can't wait until I can actually see the little baby.
    xzanti wrote: »
    I never got morning sickness, or the heightened sense of smell or any of that other stuff.. and I didn't start to show until around 14 weeks, so don't worry..

If you find that it's causing you undue stress, then maybe a private scan would put your mind at ease?

I had one at 8 weeks as I had a history of miscarriage and it really put my mind at east.. it cost around €145 but it was money well spent imho.. saved me stressing out until my Hospital scan rolled around..

Best of luck and congrats :)

Definitely worth the money. If i hadn't got my scan so soon, I would of went private too! Trying to stay relaxed until then! fingers crossed!

I had my 13wk scan. The baby is actually 13wks and 5days! Everything is normal and the baby is healthy!! I can finally relax now. It was moving around like mad. The doctor said it was a very active baby. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I had my 13wk scan. The baby is actually 13wks and 5days! Everything is normal and the baby is healthy!! I can finally relax now. It was moving around like mad. The doctor said it was a very active baby. :D:D:D

Huzzah congrats!! I have my scan a week from monday and have niggling worries in the back of my mind! makes me feel better to see this :)

Rachineire wrote: »
    Huzzah congrats!! I have my scan a week from monday and have niggling worries in the back of my mind! makes me feel better to see this :)

You will be okay. I was the same. I had myself convinced of the worse! Womb would be empty and stuff like that. Everything was normal. I know you will be okay as well. It's so hard not to worry!! When it's born we will be worrying about everything as well :). Good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

thats funny- i was actually saying to my husband....but what if its just empty when they do the scan?? its funny how we all have these same worries! and your right I need to just relax and enjoy- in a few months we will all have a new host of worries! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Im male and shouldnt be posting in here!!!!

Best of luck with OP with the pregnancy

Advertisement