Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fin McCool

Have set up a Triax TD88 exactly like this & it's working well

http://www.sat-planet.ie/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭zg3409

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-24-WP75HD&pages=1&prod=WP75HD&brands=WALKER&image=

Model : WP75SAT-HD
    Specifications
    Walker Free To Air Satellite Box
    Hd Digital Satellite Receiver
    No Subscription Or Monthly Bills
    Perfect For Ex-sky Subscribers
    Bbc1 -bbc2- Bbc3- Bbc4
    Itv1 -itv2 -itv3 -itv4
    5- Bbc Hd- Itv Hd- Ch4 Hd
    Hdmi Digital Tv Connection
    7 Day On Screen Program Guide
    Usb Recorder And Player
    Hi-fi Stereo Sound
    On Screen Display
    Signal Level & Quality Indicator
    Infra Red Remote Control
    Ready For Rte Satellite (SaorSAT)
    Rte Now Broadcasting Kasat 9e
    Installation Service Available
    Requires Ka Lnb

and there is one advertised on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Walker-HD-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver-FTA-Saorsat-Compatible-USB-PVR-7-Day-EPG-/190645548048?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2c635c3410

WP75SAT-HD

This receiver can be used to receive both Saorsat (Ka Sat 9E) & SatFree (Astra 28.2) simultaneously.
    Saorsat requires a Ka band LNB and Astra uses a standard Universal LNB.
    Both can be mounted on the same dish eg. Triax TD78 with LNB multiholder.
    ie. >100 channels including RTE, BBC, ITV, CHANNEL 4, News, Film, Kids, Music etc & HD channels.
    It also features 7-Day programme guide for both Saorsat and SatFree channels.

Features:
    HD Satellite Receiver DVB-S2
    5000 Program Memory
    USB 2.0 Multimedia Connector & Recording
    Video :AVI, MP4, XviD/3ivx, MJPEG, MS ISO, MPEG2-TS, H264-TS, MPEG-4 SP, MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG2, MPEG1 - Audio/Photo : MP3, JPEG Baseline, Progressive
    HDMI 1080i
    7 Day On Screen Program Guide for Saorsat & Sat4Free
    Signal Level & Quality Indicator
    Remote Control, Batteries & HD Lead Included
    UniCable, DiSEqC 1.0, 1.2 enabled for multiple LNB systems
    Scart Socket - S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio
    F-Socket LNB Input
    HDMI 1.3a up to 1080i
    Ethernet RJ45
    USB 2.0 (Rear)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'd be interested to know how they are achieving this , if its over the air via freesat stream I would think freesat Uk would object as they have in the past when sat4free was around.

zg3409 wrote: »
    It also features 7-Day programme guide for both Saorsat and SatFree channels.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Tony wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know how they are achieving this , if its over the air via freesat stream I would think freesat Uk would object as they have in the past when sat4free was around.

I now know how they might have implemented it.

The 7 day EPG is not combined. You must exit source from 28.2 groupings (entertainment etc) to 9E in order for that 7 day epg to work. Think Freesat TV software and switching sopurce to dvb-t.

And quite obviously they are using sat4free's software from Grundig (Tont you fear right) its a Freesatish API which must be exited to load the other channels not on Freesat. This may be fine if they implement it on these combo's I have been hearing all about but have yet to see. But remember the 7 epg will not be combined, as it will involve switching sources from the dvb-t to dvb-s tuner on the remote. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

STB wrote: »
    The 7 day EPG is not combined. You must exit source from DVB-T to DVB-S2 in order for that to work. Think Freesat TV software.

Now i am really confused. Is this Walker box not just a satellite receiver. How can it access the DVB-T epg from saorview?

I assume it will access that EIT epg from saorsat and freesat epg from freesat/"satfree"

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    Now i am really confused. Is this Walker box not just a satellite receiver. How can it access the DVB-T epg from saorview?

I assume it will access that EIT epg from saorsat and freesat epg from freesat/"satfree"

Either I am too slow with my edits or you are too quick with your replies. I was in middle of editing it. I was typing further ahead of myself as to what the combo's will perform like knowing what they have done. Does it make sense now ?

I hope they got permission from Freesat to do this otherwise injunctions will start flying around as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Either I am too slow with my edits or you are too quick with your replies. I was in middle of editing it. I was typing further ahead of myself as to what the combo's will perform like knowing what they have done. Does it make sense now ?

Yes make sence now. Look forward to seeing their combo box if and when it comes out.
    A combo may sell well in the UK too. Giving them access to Freeview and freesat in one receiver and hopefully being able to sort channel order as you want it, (Putting HD channels at top of epg etc)

Freesat will not be happy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why wouldn't Freesat commission a 7 day FTA UK sat EPG box that could receive Saorview?

They'd sell a shed load of them would they not?

No they would not , the market here is very small in comparison to the UK and Freesat would have no interest in such a box in any case as they are a Uk only service.

• Advertisement

Why wouldn't Freesat commission a 7 day FTA UK sat EPG box that could receive Saorview?

The British taxpayer might get annoyed ? They are aware of their sat pattern, they wont be going out of their way to promote its reception outside its boundaries .

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

Could I ask the knowledgeable folks here if anyone can see a method of achieving the perfect solution for the following situation.

I have a camper where the TV and the motorised satellite dish both run on 12V. (I have attached a pdf that show the Specs and the Rear View of the Receiver) The receiver is a standard FTA receiver but pressing the Menu button brings up the full satellite set-up menus. This includes the motorised system. There is no Diseqc control system built in.

Being a standard FTA system there are no Irish Channels available on the list. The TV has 'Freeview' but obviously will not receive Saorview and would need a Saorview adaptor, however being in a tin box UHF off-air TV reception is practically non existent without an external aerial and the only external aerial that i have is the dish.

Back to the ideal solution. My ideal solution would be a Freesat Receiver that will control the motorised dish, have provision for the second KA Band LNB required for Saorsat. And of course all must work off 12V.

If the ideal solution is not achievable; then how much of it is possible? Of course my main objective is to be able to receive our Irish channels while in the camper.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skanco

I would just like to sound a word of warning on the subject of purchasing equipment for Saorsat at this time. Our testing on the Isle of Man would suggest the service outside and inside a large part of Ireland, will be very variable with weather conditions, using the current signal levels. Wales will be assessed next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

That manual mentions DVB-S only not DVB-S2 which is needed for SaorSat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skanco

The listing on Fleebay states DVB-S2, but well spotted Gerry Wicklow. I think ask before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a Freesat HD or other HD DVB-S2 receiver with Diseqc. You can't use the same LNB for Saorsat and anything else, so motorised is a problem for Freesat + Saorsat. There are two solutions though to Motorised.

As I would see it; it comes down to being able to control the motorised dish. If that is possible through any other receiver (other than the manufacturers original that is installed at present) then the other issues should be solvable.

I know that it will only be possible to receive Saorsat while in Ireland but at the moment for the most part even UHF analogue reception is barely viewable in the van anyway and frequently not even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭IrishBazza

Will it drive a motor dish? Or Diseqc only

Any new receiver would need to have a menu structure to control the motorised elements of the dish. Diseqc would be needed to handle the second LNB.

At least that's as I see it. Others may see past that and have a different solution and then again maybe there is not a solution.

davidod1 wrote: »
    I have a camper ....Any suggestions will be very welcome.

You can run 240V systems from an inverter. Any self seeking satellite system is mega bucks. If you are willing to manaully adjust the dish then any portable kit will do. The smaller the dish the easier to align.

For SaorSat and 28.2 on the one self-aligning dish you need to mount two LNB's right beside each other. You may need a mechanical switch, to switch LNBs if the receiver does not have DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc

The receiver needs to be DVB-S2. The dish needs to be a non DOME type so you can mount a second LNB.

A dish like this might work, depending on if it can handle the weight of two LNBs:
    http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/motorhome-satellite.htm#flatsat

A portable dish on a tripod would be a lot cheaper.

You need to confirm it can take the weight of two LNBs and the receiver will switch between them.

• Advertisement

I know I can get over the voltage issue. The system that is already fitted to the camper is a 12v system It is also self seeking and works fine for the FTA channels. My problem is how to incorporate the Irish Channels in to the existing system.

It is a 60cm dish and there shouldn't be any problems fitting a 2nd LNB. Also it opens up and folds down automatically.

60cm may be too small. We don't know for sure yet.

I know I can get over the voltage issue. The system that is already fitted to the camper is a 12v system It is also self seeking and works fine for the FTA channels. My problem is how to incorporate the Irish Channels in to the existing system.

It is a 60cm dish and there shouldn't be any problems fitting a 2nd LNB. Also it opens up and folds down automatically.

Forget satellite.

Get a mpeg4 dvb-t2 box. The bush dvb680 is a Freeview HD box but will do Saorview. I only mention it because its got a 12v output and is cheap. Then you just need a whip aerial. Obviously this will only pick up the Saorview channels in Ireland, but if you are campering in the UK or Europe it will also work there.

£33stg
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5322408.htm

My problem is how to incorporate the Irish Channels in to the existing system.

It is a 60cm dish and there shouldn't be any problems fitting a 2nd LNB.

One test is to see can you currently receive BBC HD etc. That will confirm if the box is DVB-S2 capable (probably not)

One easy test is to use the existing LNB to see if you can see the other channels at 9 East at 11-12 Ghz.

http://www.lyngsat.com/eb9a.html

This will confirm you can turn the dish to that position.

When at 9 east physically swap the LNB and hook the Saorsat LNB in it's place and connect to a HD box.

If this works OK then tape/mount the KA LNB right beside the normal LNB, ideally 4 degrees off. Then get the existing receiver and LNB to automatically track to 13East. (9+4) Once the normal LNB is locked at 13 east the KA, offset, should be at 9 east.

Inititally use a second HD box with it's own feed from the second LNB. Then try to use this box to control the motorised dish, if it's even possible. If it does then add a mechanical switch for switching LNBs or ideally a DiSEqC switch if that works.

If not try to use the old box for setting dish position, but feed the new box from both LNBs via a DiSEqC switch. You may need to use the old remote to turn the dish, but at least all the channels would appear on the one box.

A step by step slowly, slowly approach is best.

Let us know how you get on. I can draw a diagram if it's clear as mud.

Forget satellite.

Get a mpeg4 dvb-t2 box. The bush dvb680 is a Freeview HD box but will do Saorview. I only mention it because its got a 12v output and is cheap. Then you just need a whip aerial. Obviously this will only pick up the Saorview channels in Ireland, but if you are campering in the UK or Europe it will also work there.

£33stg
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5322408.htm

I agree. You'll not really get Saorsat outside Ireland anyway and a 60cm is too small for a 2nd offset LNB.

Another thing might be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if there newer boxes are MPEG4 DVB-S2 and if they are compatable with the old dish. There is a web link at the end of the PDF, their site has a brochure in French, but all equipment is probably a newer model.

If the newer receivers could do everything then it would be a neat solution.

zg3409 wrote: »
    One test is to see can you currently receive BBC HD etc. That will confirm if the box is DVB-S2 capable (probably not) ........
    A step by step slowly, slowly approach is best.

Let us know how you get on. I can draw a diagram if it's clear as mud.

Thanks for some very good suggestions. I will follow up on that. I will need to get a KA LNB anyway in order to make any progress. I may very well have to ask you to clear some of that mud.

I will also follow up on your suggestion on checking for newer hardware from the manufacturer. If it proves difficult to deal directly with them I'll be in France in September and may be able to pick up a suitable unit from a dealer.

Thanks to all who made suggestions.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Skanco wrote: »
    I would just like to sound a word of warning on the subject of purchasing equipment for Saorsat at this time. Our testing on the Isle of Man would suggest the service outside and inside a large part of Ireland, will be very variable with weather conditions, using the current signal levels. Wales will be assessed next week.

Care to share your IOM test results on Saorsat with us Skanco? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

Could I ask the knowledgeable folks here if anyone can see a method of achieving the perfect solution for the following situation.

I have a camper where the TV and the motorised satellite dish both run on 12V. (I have attached a pdf that show the Specs and the Rear View of the Receiver) The receiver is a standard FTA receiver but pressing the Menu button brings up the full satellite set-up menus. This includes the motorised system. There is no Diseqc control system built in.

Being a standard FTA system there are no Irish Channels available on the list. The TV has 'Freeview' but obviously will not receive Saorview and would need a Saorview adaptor, however being in a tin box UHF off-air TV reception is practically non existent without an external aerial and the only external aerial that i have is the dish.

Back to the ideal solution. My ideal solution would be a Freesat Receiver that will control the motorised dish, have provision for the second KA Band LNB required for Saorsat. And of course all must work off 12V.

If the ideal solution is not achievable; then how much of it is possible? Of course my main objective is to be able to receive our Irish channels while in the camper.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Dave

One option is to add a second receiver that has diseqc capability. Swop the existing lnb for a twin and install a ka band lnb offset by 19 degrees. Feed one output of twin lnb to existing system and use this as normal to drive the motor. Connect the new receiver via diseqc switch to 2nd output of twin and Ka band.
    If you cannot get the 19 degrees offset needed to view both 28 and 9 without moving the motor then set it where ever you can, say for example at 7 degrees offset and just remember to move your motorised dish to 16 degrees in order to view saorsat.
    Not the ideal solution but possibly a much cheaper one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

I have an 8 way diseqc switch marked "BEST" made in Germany. It has been working ok for quite some time without any problems. I have been using port 8 connected to a motorised dish that I move with a second receiver. This enables me to combine the diseqc for the fixed dishes (42E,39E,28E,23.5E,19E,13E) with the motor for the rest. The other day I connected this port (output 8) to a ka band lnb and it worked ok. Saorsat received. When I connected back the ku band lnb is was a little dodgy at first and has since failed altogether. The lnb is ok but the diseqc switch port no longer works for either ku or ka band. I wont connect the ka lnb to a different port until I have a replacement 8 way switch to hand. Has anyone else had any similar problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement