Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to Digest a Banana?

• 15-07-2005 8:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody knows how long, on average it takes for a person to digest a banana?

Somebody told me 30 days, which I thought sounded a bit crazy. :confused:

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm pretty sure its around 24 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

bruachain wrote:
    I'm pretty sure its around 24 hours?

yeah, the whole 30 days thing sounds absurd! Anyone else want to chip in?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Unless you chew the banana for 12 hours, then I'd say it's false.

• Mouth: Seconds
    • Esophagus: Seconds
    • Stomach: Up to 3 ½ hours
    • Small Intestine: Minutes
    • Large Intestine: Hours

The entire process of digestion/excretion usually takes around 12-14 hours if I remember correctly - depends on the sort of food and the health of your bowels. Bananas don't take any longer than any other fruit. Red meat can take a lot longer to get broken down though.

http://www.manbir-online.com/nutrition/banana.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

TheLedge wrote:
    thanks!
    Depends on the speed of your gut transit time - which varies quite a lot between people. Red meat and low fibre foods take longer - but if a banana took 30 days to digest, then it would mean you are constipated for 30 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Bananas can cause constipation. I think just the worst example of this was taken.
    However when you are ill, it's worth adding a bananna to the toast and flat lemonaid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

It does take longer to completely break down a banana, than other food. I remember being in hospital and the nurse telling me to eat them because they took around 4 days to go through the whole system, which is why they are good for diarrhea sufferers.

Dunno how true it is, she may have been just trying to make me feel better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Eat a bananna and some corn......... when you see the corn you can be sure your bananna is nearby....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Celticfire wrote:
    Eat a bananna and some corn......... when you see the corn you can be sure your bananna is nearby....... :D
    LOL

sound words from a lateral thinking man! Try this and report back and we can resolve this once and for all (seriously).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

DrIndy wrote:
    LOL

sound words from a lateral thinking man! Try this and report back and we can resolve this once and for all (seriously).....

lol

all in the name of science eh?
    i didn't know you could see the corn then again i don't really look :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement