Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Stroganoff

• 13-03-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm looking for a tried and tested version of beef stroganoff, for somebody who could be described as a beginner when it comes to cookery. Simple and delicious is what I'm after. Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

fillet steak cut in strips, oinions, sliced thinly in half rings and button mushrooms chopped in 1/4s.

Brown steak in pan for about a min, remove to bowl. fry off oinions and mushrooms for 2/3 mins in pan with paprika, put steak back in.
    Add sour cream and simmer for one min.

Serve with matchstick chips and salad.

mmmmm

thats what I would consider a classic stroganoff, think i got it off Rick Steins one.

edit: actually use olaola's link, I got the order wrong. I do it the way above, Ricks is prob better for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Rick Stein did a really easy one on his program -
    looked yum!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/beefstroganoffwithma_71568.shtml

I just see that DaveyM posted it too - here is the full recipie anyways.

olaola wrote:
    Rick Stein did a really easy one on his program -
    looked yum!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/beefstroganoffwithma_71568.shtml

I just see that DaveyM posted it too - here is the full recipie anyways.

cheers! can't believe i forgot the paprika! edited above thanks to your link..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Frequent

Thanks guys, any chef's tips or extra info greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I use cream instead of sour cream, don't use lemon, but do use a splash of brandy.

I also prefer stroganoff with rice of some description than with matchstick chips.

Also...I've been told that paprika loses its flavour the more its cooked, but you'll notice that Rick adds it at the start of cooking the onions. I usually find that when everything is going back together, a dash of paprika stirred into the sauce right at the end really lifts the flavour.

Stroganof also works great with ostrich, in my experience.

To be honest, about the only way you can **** it up is if you try cooking everything together, rather than doing each seperately (albeit in the same pan) and only combining them at the end. The meat needs short-time, high-heat cooking, ideally with a short bit of resting time before going back in (with juices). Onion needs longer-time, lower-heat. There is just no way I know of combining these without either stewing the beef or caramelising the onions.

Oh - and be careful boiling a cream-based sauce. If you let it boil too much, it will split.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:
    I use cream instead of sour cream, don't use lemon, but do use a splash of brandy.

I also prefer stroganoff with rice of some description than with matchstick chips.

Also...I've been told that paprika loses its flavour the more its cooked, but you'll notice that Rick adds it at the start of cooking the onions. I usually find that when everything is going back together, a dash of paprika stirred into the sauce right at the end really lifts the flavour.

Stroganof also works great with ostrich, in my experience.

To be honest, about the only way you can **** it up is if you try cooking everything together, rather than doing each seperately (albeit in the same pan) and only combining them at the end. The meat needs short-time, high-heat cooking, ideally with a short bit of resting time before going back in (with juices). Onion needs longer-time, lower-heat. There is just no way I know of combining these without either stewing the beef or caramelising the onions.

Oh - and be careful boiling a cream-based sauce. If you let it boil too much, it will split.

I use cream when I have no sour cream too, but I find it doesn't cut against the paprika as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭runswithascript

First time on the forum, came looking to add a fourth recipe to my other three homemade meals I can make, bolongese, carbonara and stir fry and Beef Stroganoff jumped out at me. Can I add a quarter of a clove of garlic to the mix? Big fan of it and it goes in my other three! :D

Also, I'd probably use creme fraiche to be healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Instead of the paprika i put mustard in. Fine a nice mustard you like and stir it into the sour cream then add it to the meet mix.. Lovely.

I went with the sour cream, paprika and BBC recipe and also had a bit of an laughing argument with the butcher telling me it's a stew. I was right was I not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

dusf wrote:
    I went with the sour cream, paprika and BBC recipe
    How did it turn out for you?

Also...did you add your garlic?
    and also had a bit of an laughing argument with the butcher telling me it's a stew. I was right was I not?
    A stew (to my mind) is where the meat and veg are cooked in a water-based stock of some description.

With stroganoff, this isn't the case. You cook all the ingredients by frying, make the sauce, and only combine everything at the end of cooking, ostensibly to reheat anything that needs it.

Having said that, if someone said "its a glorified stew" to me outside a cooking forum, I wouldn't care enough to disagree. I'd go for some sort of non-comittal answer.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:
    How did it turn out for you?

Also...did you add your garlic?

It was beautiful you should try it if you haven't already, left the garlic out but paprika is now a prized posession of mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gurg

Hi there - check out www.uktvfood.co.uk - its a fantastic web site and you will get many versions of this classic - Rachel Allen's one is gorgeous! Enjoy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I've cooked the Rick Stein recipie before. Tis excellent.

One tip - go into a good butcher. If you ask you'll normally get a very good deal on end pieces of fillet steak, as they are too small to sell as steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Hey folks,
    I'm keen to try this recipe with a load of beef I've in the freezer, but it's round steak, which is much more suited to stewing. How would the longer cooking time for the beef change the cooking times of everything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Frequent wrote: »
    Thanks guys, any chef's tips or extra info greatly appreciated.
    When you brown the meat, get the pan super hot, if you don't the meat will boil rather than Brown. For the same reason, do your meat in batches rather than all in one go as the latter will reduce the heat in the pan

Advertisement