Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engineering: College courses and information

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Aidan47 wrote: »
    I'm 24 btw
    DCU does electronics but would be less hands on and more on design. I think you can apply as a mature candidate in that case. I would write and email to the the program chair and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulme

does anybody here have any opinions on ul (limerick) versus lit? from what i hear lit covers more practical stuff while ul is a bit more theoretical.

also i'm 27 and don't have the leaving cert, is an access course really necessary? i don't mind doing it if it is, but i don't want to study for a year if i don't really need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

Well, I'm guessing you could skip out on the access course, but if you havn't done the leaving cert. you may have missed topics in maths, etc. which are pretty important, or so I hear. If you're on equal footing with applicants that have done the LC, then you shouldn't need it, but you mighta forgotten stuff in your time out of school, while they're coming straight into college.

Also, i'd go for UL, cos i'd do Aeronautical :P

_Kar

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Electrisco-pops

I'm an electrician and I wanted to start the Electrical Engineering course in DIT however all the places are taken. I'm am looking at starting the electronic engineering course in IT Tallaght however I'm not sure if this would be benificial relative to my Trade.
    Any one know weather or not I'll be able to link this course to my trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

www.cit.ie

the cert to ordinary degree course here is very good, you can go on to the Honours degree in structural with a 70% + average or transfer to the UCC course if you do well in 2 structural exams and have your 70%+ in maths(from college)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Currently doing a degree in structural engineering and when I'm finished I'd like to get into demolitions.

I don't mind going to the USA if required (I'd actually quite like to) so paying up to $40,000 or so for a masters isn't something I'd rule out. Problem is, I can't seem to find any programmes at all that deal with explosives and demolitions.

Does anyone know where I should be looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jamesplarkin

I'd highly recommend a university that operatates a 7 month co op placement. I did one myself. Most of my class mates and myself ended up working with the companies that we did our co op in. lots of contactcs made and thats whats required during a recession

UL, DCU and CIT are colleges that offer such co ops, Not sure if the other ones do but they might do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Anton.Mamyko

Woden wrote: »

er, surprised that CIT Mech Eng. course isnt on the list....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 massey165

i want to go into energy engineering. just done my lc and got 420 and my first choice level 8 is sustainable energy in cit and my first choice level 7 is energy engineering in gmit im pretty sure im safe for points as they were only 360/380 last year.if i get offered both i dont know which one ill choose.any info on boyh courses, colleges, city's, and craic would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MsStroggatrix

Hi All,

Not sure if the is the right spot to post this, if I'm wrong please redirect me to the appropriate place.

I am looking for a night course in EE, with a focus on analog electronics. I would like to eventually get a degree in EE.

The best I could find so far is IT Tallaght - there seem to be very few EE night courses. DIT would be more convenient and they don't run one. Does anyone have any opinions on the course in Tallaght?

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/PartTimeCourses/ElectronicEngineering/Name,17549,en.html

I've been doing electronics as a hobby for years and would like to get some sort of qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Marilyn Broad Switchboard

Just saw this so thought I would post it here
    Welcome to the Aer Lingus Apprenticeship Online Application Process
    Apprentice Aircraft Maintenance Engineers
    Aer Lingus Maintenance & Engineering is responsible for the maintenance of the company’s modern fleet of Airbus A320, A321 and A330 aircraft. Aer Lingus has Line Maintenance stations at Dublin, Shannon, Cork, and also in the United Kingdom and North America, where engineers perform all line maintenance tasks across its fleet of aircraft. The airline has aircraft hangar capacity at both Dublin and Shannon.
    Aer Lingus is now recruiting for its Aircraft Maintenance and Engineering Apprenticeship Scheme commencing autumn 2011. Apprentices will be based in Dublin and Shannon.
    This Scheme is an accredited programme and is running in conjunction with FAS, Ireland’s National Training and Employment Authority.

http://www.aerlingus.com/aboutus/careersvacancies/apprenticeship2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 phil devlin

hI IS A ORDINARY DEGREE IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING WORTH ANYTHING LIKE WOULD I GET A JOB HERE OR WOULD I HAVE TO GO ABROAD. IM GOING INTO FRIST YEAR IN OCTOBER ANYADVISE WOULD B HELPFUL THANKS

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

hI IS A ORDINARY DEGREE IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING WORTH ANYTHING LIKE WOULD I GET A JOB HERE OR WOULD I HAVE TO GO ABROAD. IM GOING INTO FRIST YEAR IN OCTOBER ANYADVISE WOULD B HELPFUL THANKS

why the shouting?

Dont use caps locks please

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Go to the secretary of the Eng Dept in you college and/or the Careers Dept and ask for any information on where past graduates of your course have found employment or what they're up to. That should give you an idea.

Currently doing a degree in structural engineering and when I'm finished I'd like to get into demolitions.

I don't mind going to the USA if required (I'd actually quite like to) so paying up to $40,000 or so for a masters isn't something I'd rule out. Problem is, I can't seem to find any programmes at all that deal with explosives and demolitions.

Does anyone know where I should be looking?

Cranfield in the UK has some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teaand biscuits

Hi does anyone know anything about any of the add -on courses in IT Sligo for electronics or Mechatronics i have done electrical energy systems and control engineering in dit but deferred my place on there honours course just wondering how good these courses in sligo are or am i better goin for two years full time to dit. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Hi does anyone know anything about any of the add -on courses in IT Sligo for electronics or Mechatronics i have done electrical energy systems and control engineering in dit but deferred my place on there honours course just wondering how good these courses in sligo are or am i better goin for two years full time to dit. thanks

You could go to CIT in Cork, they have a number of options to go from a level 7 to a level 8, some are 1 year some are 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm looking for information for colleges providing Level 9 courses, preferably diplomas and not masters and which preferably are run on a part-time basis.
    I see Trinity do some and DIT also, anywhere else?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I'm looking for information for colleges providing Level 9 courses, preferably diplomas and not masters and which preferably are run on a part-time basis.
    I see Trinity do some and DIT also, anywhere else?

Allot of the courses do opt outs after 4 or 6 modules for grad cert and diploma respectively. DCU does the same.Is there a specific type of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Allot of the courses do opt outs after 4 or 6 modules for grad cert and diploma respectively. DCU does the same.Is there a specific type of course?

Well I'm just seeing what's out there at the moment. I'm Civil (UCD) myself, ideally I'd like something in Highway Maintenance / Winter Services but I'll consider anything for the moment as I'm not settled on anything in particular as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Thinking of applying for a level 8 Electrical/Electronic Engineering course.

Just looking for suggestions as to colleges in the Dublin area? The pros and cons of different colleges coming from people who have finished the course.

Advertisement