Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bullying, has it affected you now as an adult?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greengiant09

bullying can have a terrible affect on people...it can drive them to suicide...many years after the initial bullying took place. i have to say i was pretty disgusted at how one of the previous posters (who admitted they were a bully) described the individuals they bullied in pretty disparaging language.

i can also see how it can drive people to do high school shootings in the states. i myself still carry an awful amount of resentment to the people who bullied me. i'd actually have honestly forgiven them and moved on if it wasn't for the fact that they still had a nerve to insult me as an adult. i just couldn't believe that they hadn't really changed and matured as an adults. i actually hate to think how they act in work, especially considering one of them is now a teacher.

on a brighter note, i do hope with therapy that i'll become a stronger person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

In primary school a lad who was held back tried to bully me, mainly he kept stealing my drink from my bag, I knew it was him but couldn't prove it, one day I seen my bottle under the table and so I got under to get it. As I was getting out he dropped my school bag on my head. So I picked up the school chair by the back legs and smashed him in the face with the back support. Never had an issue with my drink again. I've never had any issues sinc then.
    I wont touch your carlsberg i swears:p

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'll freely admit that i was suicidal. It didn't help that i kept it all in, and didn't tell anyone. My parents just thought i was going through a hard time with school, as in the actual learning bit. I was doing 7 honours subjects, so when i stopped going out on a weekend night or even during the weekend days i blamed the schoolwork, and locked myself away in my bedroom. The fact that my schoolwork was suffering and a reasonably smart kid dropped from B average to scraping D's seemed to back this up. I turned from a normal teenager with all the usual teenager tantrums and angst, mixed in with all the usual teenager sunshine and success on the athletics track, to a chap who had a dirty great big black thundercloud following him around, and no interest in anything. I gave up the running, gave up anything that I had been good at.

My time consisted of getting up in the morning, pretending that i was a normal kid going out to school for another day, walk there alone, with classmates totally ignoring me, and other students in the school doing the point and giggle thing that kids are so cruel at but so good at. Coming home in the evening would mean more of the same. After school I'd go up to my room where I would lie on my bed staring at the ceiling, sometimes having a bit of a cry. I'd come down for dinner, have the usual over dinner conversations, all the while putting a face on, help with the clean up then go up to my room to do homework and study. At about 10:30/11:00 each night my parents would go to bed, then i went down stairs to watch Star Trek which was on Sky One at 11 pm in those days. Weekends were helping Dad and Mam out around the house as opposed to going out.

Eventually after 6 months of this I snapped. I can't remember how or why it came about, but I DO remember taking a swing at my Dad and my older brother laying me out flat on my back. I then went to take the two of them on in a physical full on fight. At one stage my Dad actually had his hands on my throat similar to Homer Simpson before he realised what he was doing.... and burst out crying. That set me off. I just broke down and (feck it I have tears in my eyes here tying this!! :)) all i can remember saying is I have no friends, I have no friends over and over again.

My parents felt very guilty that they hadn't noticed what had happened, and why 6 people had stopped calling to the door regularly. Mam was on the parents association of the school and pulled strings about the repeating 5th year thing, the School Counsellor got involved and got the teachers to stop bollocking me out of it in class, and suddenly i realised that despite all the psychological bullying that 60 people had put me through i was still there, and by jesus i wasn't gonna let them beat me. April and May went by in a blur as I decided i was actually gonna study properly and get a good college place and get the hell out of my ****hole of a town and become a success and rub everyones noses in it.

Before the Leaving started for the class ahead of us I was called down to the school and 'Offered' (by which it was strongly suggested that i take the chance) of repeating 5th year. I took it. Ended up with a decent Leaving cert which has resulted 17 years later in a good job, with my own house.... in my ****hole of a town. And i deliberately bought here because the lads who i got friendly with at the second swing of 5th year, have all bought around the area.

Would I change anything? Yes and no.
    No, because I'm happy enough with who i am today, and my experiences over a period of 2 1/2 years of my life, while horrible, have helped mould the person typing this out.
    Yes, because I wish i had spoken out sooner, maybe I'd find it easier to trust people now. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that i'll never marry or have kids, even though i'd love to, purely because any relationship i get into gets hijacked by a fear of being rejected again by people i choose to be part of my life, so after at most 2 years (my longest relationship to date) I get itchy feet and get my rejection in first.

All i can suggest to anyone who is being bullied is to say it to someone. It's a horrible thing to have happen to you, you don't deserve it, but trying to carry the weight of something like that on relatively young shoulders is hard.......and if you tell someone it doesn't have to be.

I am a regular poster on the site, as is one of the core group of people who perpetrated the psychological bullying, that's why I'm posting anonymously. Even today, 17/18 years later I don't want those people to know how badly they hurt me.

Don't feel as if you have to go through it alone. Being bullied is nothing to be ashamed of, and I'm well aware of the irony of me typing that line straight after typing the one above it!!

Whatever else you take from my meandering memories of something that I keep buried, take this, being bullied, being suicidal, being totally depressed can be helped by uttering one little 4 letter word.. Help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I wasnt really bullied growing up but my father gave me a hard time which destroyed my confidence and I really after that let the dickheads get away with smart comments and threats of violence.I was extremely shy and at the age of 14 I put on weight which didnt help with my sports mad father,I would stay in as a teen even though I had a good group of friends who just got tired of asking me to do stuff with them.It wasnt until i was about 20 that i got my first job and blossomed so to speak,I lost 4 stone and my confidence grew but so did my temper(I was always tempermental)I realised that at 6f4 and quite big from gaa/physical work/gym that I had nothing to fear and lashed out at a lot of idiots in club/pubs etc,due to all the crap as a teen im fiercely independent and tend not to let people in or even help me,im very protective of friends/family(I confronted a dickhead electrician last week because I thought he was being too cheeky to my parents:pac:)I never back down from a fight if I get in one which is usually some pisshead wanting to fight the biggest bloke around.The only ggod thing to come from ****ty teen years are that I learned to be nicer to women:D and that I can sense when someone is upset or needs help and I try my best to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

l never added how it affected me

I think I definitely became driven, get the leaving cert, get through in college, get my job, promotion, professional exams etc.

What it didn't help me with is I've become very cold and withdrawn. Someone told me I was aloof, it's not true at all! Just I never open up and rarely trust anyone. Very sensitive to criticism and get defensive. Need to work on all this

Due to the wonders of facebook I can see what some of those runts are up to and as expected, same village, same pub, dead end jobs or dole (not judging anyone on the dole :)) and tbh, in twenty years time they'll still be there.

The best revenge is living well!

I suppose the other thing is bullying doesn't stop when you leave school, there are asshole team leaders and bosses at it too.
    In work I did have an attitude of work of being terrified of offending anyone so not took a strong view on anything. And also "eager to please", if I help everyone therefore they will like me......

It's bollocks, I was wrong. Eager to please doesn't get people to like you, it means you get zero respect and become a doormat and get lumbered with the donkey work. And one team leader sure know how to roar and humiliate me, me being an easy target but he did to others too.

Gave as good as I got one evening and starting speaking up more and yeah, not everyone likes me but I can't worry over that, I'm paid to do work and I do my best at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I don't really like to say I was bullied in school, because while it upset me an awful lot at the time, and i still think about it quite often, other stories you hear make me feel like what I had couldn't compare.

It was a small primary school. 2 classes per room. so it was fairly small groups, and it was a village, so everyone kinda knew everyone else. i had my couple of friends, but there were the boys in my class and the class up from mine, that used to always make fun of my hair. they'd made up some names for me, that to this day I still can't bring myself to repeat, and laugh at me over it. it was curly and frizzy, and not 'normal' like every other girl in my class. It seemed like it went on for years, but honestly i couldn't say how long it was for. the biggest thing about this for me was probably that one to one all of these boys were nice to me, treated me like a normal person, and we had conversations and fun!

I think it's really led me to feel like I can't trust people.

then in secondary school, I developed IBS. and, well I'm not going to go into the issues that caused for me, but it was the worse 5 years of my life. only problem was I didn't know it was a condition, I assumed it was just me, and never got any help for it. couldn't even convince my family it was a problem. having to go to the bathroom so much led to embarrassment, and friends being embarrassed on my behalf, and so I ended up lying about what I was leaving the classroom for. so to this day I have problems assuring myself people believe me when I say things. there were some incidents where my 'friends' laughed at me with the rest of the class even though I know they knew I had a problem, and that really hurt. it was a very lonely sad time, just it was every day.

So I was made to feel unpretty over my hair in primary school, felt disgusting with my IBS in secondary school, and to top it off I didn't have any boy like me till I was 17, so no wonder my self esteem is shot to this day.

I dunno if you could call any of it bullying, probably not, but that's the way I think back on it.

the guys that made fun of me in primary school, I know they'd do the same if they saw me again. they'd probably remember the names they called me and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I don't really like to say I was bullied in school, because while it upset me an awful lot at the time, and i still think about it quite often, other stories you hear make me feel like what I had couldn't compare.

It was a small primary school. 2 classes per room. so it was fairly small groups, and it was a village, so everyone kinda knew everyone else. i had my couple of friends, but there were the boys in my class and the class up from mine, that used to always make fun of my hair. they'd made up some names for me, that to this day I still can't bring myself to repeat, and laugh at me over it. it was curly and frizzy, and not 'normal' like every other girl in my class. It seemed like it went on for years, but honestly i couldn't say how long it was for. the biggest thing about this for me was probably that one to one all of these boys were nice to me, treated me like a normal person, and we had conversations and fun!

I think it's really led me to feel like I can't trust people.

then in secondary school, I developed IBS. and, well I'm not going to go into the issues that caused for me, but it was the worse 5 years of my life. only problem was I didn't know it was a condition, I assumed it was just me, and never got any help for it. couldn't even convince my family it was a problem. having to go to the bathroom so much led to embarrassment, and friends being embarrassed on my behalf, and so I ended up lying about what I was leaving the classroom for. so to this day I have problems assuring myself people believe me when I say things. there were some incidents where my 'friends' laughed at me with the rest of the class even though I know they knew I had a problem, and that really hurt. it was a very lonely sad time, just it was every day.

So I was made to feel unpretty over my hair in primary school, felt disgusting with my IBS in secondary school, and to top it off I didn't have any boy like me till I was 17, so no wonder my self esteem is shot to this day.

I dunno if you could call any of it bullying, probably not, but that's the way I think back on it.

the guys that made fun of me in primary school, I know they'd do the same if they saw me again. they'd probably remember the names they called me and all.

Same thing happened to me in school,I developed IBS at 15 and I remember one teacher(all the staff knew I had it)asking why I was constantly going,to this day id love to have ripped her out of it for that:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Coming from the other side, I treated a couple of people pretty bad in secondary school - one an awful geeky fat ginger who hogged the computer at school.

The other was a girl who thought she was it. She went through all my mates and when it was my turn I decided instead to reject her - big time. She was turned into social pariah no. 1.

Looking back I feel pretty bad how I behaved. I'm sure the affect on both victims was pretty devastating.

As part of my business I now visit Primary Schools and discuss bullying with the kids - not just the victims but also the bullies as well - treat people how you would like to be treated!

Seriously? Still sounds like you're pretty hung up on being disparaging about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i'm going to try and be as vague as i can. my writing style isn't usually like this but i know a lot of people i know irl are on boards and while i've never told them my account, i don't want them to figure out who this is.

so when i was young enough, there was a guy who tried picking on me to show everyone else how much better he was. this started off with lightly punching me when we were basketball training (i punched back) and it turned into us just trading punches for an hour. yes, my should hurt but i wanted him to get the message across that he wasn't going to get me.

so over the course of two days the entire thing snowballed and a fight is arranged without my knowing and i'm lured into an open area by people i thought were my friends and he and the entire ****ing school comes out of nowhere and he thinks he's gonna batter me and i just hit him back once, straight on in the face and use the moment of surprise to get the hell out of here (this guy was like two times bigger than me).

something must have happened after that because the guy never bothered me again and judging from future small conversations and nods of acknowledgement, maybe even respected me. i don't know. mightn't sound like much but it threw me off my game all year, made me very reserved, very shy. after being manipulated like that, i've found it very hard to trust people. it wasn't just him, you must understand, it was the fact that people i'd known all my life just revealed to me right there that they wanted to see me go down, getting pummeled. that hurt.

for the record i'm a-okay now. good social circle who are very loyal. i'm outgoing and all the rest. but sometimes on those dark days you think back and some part of me still feels fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

also i just want to apply my post to what this poster said here. i don't want to offend anyone by making them think my small ordeal counts as 'bullying'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Coming from the other side, I treated a couple of people pretty bad in secondary school - one an awful geeky fat ginger who hogged the computer at school.

The other was a girl who thought she was it. She went through all my mates and when it was my turn I decided instead to reject her - big time. She was turned into social pariah no. 1.

Looking back I feel pretty bad how I behaved. I'm sure the affect on both victims was pretty devastating.

As part of my business I now visit Primary Schools and discuss bullying with the kids - not just the victims but also the bullies as well - treat people how you would like to be treated!
    Why would come onto a forum about bullying and use terms like that a lot of people here are telling there very personal story's regarding been bullied and dont want to hear it,i dont think i would want my kid lectured by a business who describes any kid as " as a fat geeky ginger".Deep down it sounds like you have little regret over your former bullyng days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I think all those ordeals, big or small, count as bullying really; for me, I know what I had to deal with from people wasn't all that bad, but it was still bullying, and due to my past anxiety issues, it had a much bigger effect on me than it would have others.

So ya, don't feel your experiences are any less worth posting :) the effect the bullying has on you, is more significant a factor than the severity of the bullying itself.

Hey guys, regular poster going unreg for this.

Moved from Scotland when i was 8. Primary school was pretty uneventful, we had a very close knit class pretty much, couple of altercations here and there, but nothing that would'nt be solved by the end of the day. Secondary school however, was another matter entirely. Started lightly with teasing and put downs from those I hung around with, then into 2nd year that continued, whilst at the same time the scumbag gang in the class started on me. The main ring leader was in the boxing club, did not stand a chance. Himself and his lackeys beat the living crap out of me pretty much every day, spat on me everytime they passed by me or sat near me, beaten until I was bawling crying and could'nt handle the pain of it.

I grew up in a loving tightly knit family, always surrounded by love and support, so that kind of violence and pure hatred I could not get my head around nor understand it at all. It was torture. It all came to a head, when one day, when our lazy ass teacher had been 20 minutes late for class, that entire 20 minutes was spent with them punching & kicking me, and to finish it off, one of them came up and did this real massive gobby spit all over my hair. This of course had all them scummers laughing in amusement, and looks of pity from those who did'nt partake. Looking back on it a part of me died that day, the shame and humilitaion was something Ill never forget. Even thinking of it now, nearly 20 years later, im shaking & can remember vividly how degrading it felt. However I finally got the courage to tell one of the teachers about it, and those involved were punished, but it was hardly a deterrant. They were up to their same thing a forthnight later. However, soon after this, most of them left after the junior cert, so after that, it was just back to to put downs and being made feel worthless for 5th and 6th year. Although, that seemed like a holiday in comparison to what went on before. All of secondary school was pretty much a write off, self esteem down in the drain, did'nt do as well as I could have in the leaving. I pretty much just felt completely worthless.

I wish I could say that it was the making of me, but the reality is, it broke me. Always have been afraid of my own shadow, non existing self worth, anxiety prone, paranoid & cant take any kind of confrontation. If anybody remotely raises their voice or gestures their hands in any kind of angry fashion, immediately I just get the shakes, feel blood rushing to my head, like pins and needles all through my body. I never speak up, becuase really I dont want to interact with anybody, I find it very tough. When im talking to people I dont actually want them to like me, id just prefer if they did'nt even acknowledge me. It goes through phases, where it can be really unbareably bad but then tapers off to just about manageable. Ive never been able to forge any kind of relationship with any women down through the years. This is mainly due to the fact that any kind of rejection would just kill off any of the little self esteem I had left, so as a survival mechanism, I just decided to cut that completely out of my life and not even try pursue it. The way I see it is, I would not want to drag somebody into the woe of living with my insecurities, its no kind of life for any lady to have being stuck with somebody like that, I certanly would not want any of my sisters go out with somebody like me. So at 35 im single and never even been near the opposite sex. I must add, im not some woman fearing type, in fact, not even my closest friends (male and female) know about this, & I think ive been able to fool them quite well down through the years. If the situation requires it, I can be Mr. Social, but its a tough ask & something that in recent times has gotten harder to do. In the past 2 years my mental health has deteriorated quite a lot, anxiety, scared to go outside have all been amped up tenfold. Unfortunitely a few fruitless journeys to cash hungry psychotherapists (not calling them all that, but the ones ive been to certanly had euro signs in their eyes with little regard for the fact I was not just a wallet).

To answer the OP's question, I would say yes, it has unfortunitely affected me as an adult. The combination of anxiety, low self worth & depression stays with me to this day unfortunitely. Every now and again ill get sheer bursts of extreme anger (directed at myself), that just come from nowhere. Often I can sleep very well at night thinking about it all. However, I do remain hopeful that I can pull myself out of it.

Fair play to those previous posters who belted seven shades of crap out of their tormenters, had I any muscle on me I would have done the same :)

Apologies if this is too long or should be in personal issues, however, it felt good to offload some of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

It's in the past, so not something I want to fully get in to here, but I had it pretty bad through primary to secondary school. I grew up constantly being told I was ugly and getting slagged everytime I walked down the street, sometimes I couldn't even walk to the shop because I knew they were there.

I remember the first time a guy actually showed interest in me...he never called after our first kiss because they threatened to beat the **** out of him. I actually ended up always dating guys a good few years older than me because of that - I figured if they were older they wouldn't be put off by all the crap said about me. My first serious relationship was with a 23 year old when I was 16; I was lucky because he was a genuinely lovely guy, and if he ever heard anything he never mentioned it. I feel like I kind of missed out as well though, I never did the whole 'my friend likes your friend' fun dating thing...I never got to be a kid.

Tbh, I think the main effect it had was making me want to get the fcuk out of my town as soon as possible, so I just focused all of my energy on that and it got me through. Fortunately I had 2 or 3 good friends who kept me sane.

I've seen a few of the people involved around the place when I'm home, and a few of them have grown up and copped on a bit, well apart from the one I ran into in a bar at Xmas 3 years ago - who decided to spit on me when he walked past. He's 25 now - I mean wtf is wrong with people? That said, he's in a dead end job, still living with Mammy, and lets just say he hasn't improved with age - so karma won out there.

But you know what? None of it bothers me now, I've moved on and a lot of them are still stuck in the same place. In some ways, it made me who I am; it made me fiercely independent and ambitious, it's made me care about the true friends I have a great deal, and it made me realise that no-one can shape your life apart from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

G86 wrote: »
    It's in the past, so not something I want to fully get in to here, but I had it pretty bad through primary to secondary school. I grew up constantly being told I was ugly and getting slagged everytime I walked down the street, sometimes I couldn't even walk to the shop because I knew they were there.

I remember the first time a guy actually showed interest in me...he never called after our first kiss because they threatened to beat the **** out of him. I actually ended up always dating guys a good few years older than me because of that - I figured if they were older they wouldn't be put off by all the crap said about me. My first serious relationship was with a 23 year old when I was 16; I was lucky because he was a genuinely lovely guy, and if he ever heard anything he never mentioned it. I feel like I kind of missed out as well though, I never did the whole 'my friend likes your friend' fun dating thing...I never got to be a kid.

Tbh, I think the main effect it had was making me want to get the fcuk out of my town as soon as possible, so I just focused all of my energy on that and it got me through. Fortunately I had 2 or 3 good friends who kept me sane.

I've seen a few of the people involved around the place when I'm home, and a few of them have grown up and copped on a bit, well apart from the one I ran into in a bar at Xmas 3 years ago - who decided to spit on me when he walked past. He's 25 now - I mean wtf is wrong with people? That said, he's in a dead end job, still living with Mammy, and lets just say he hasn't improved with age - so karma won out there.

But you know what? None of it bothers me now, I've moved on and a lot of them are still stuck in the same place. In some ways, it made me who I am; it made me fiercely independent and ambitious, it's made me care about the true friends I have a great deal, and it made me realise that no-one can shape your life apart from you.

Wow, what an awful way to be treated! I am glad you have come out of it more positively!

I got teased for being ugly (never really thought I was that bad) but not to the extent you were. I also got teased for being over weight at times! So both of those issues destroyed any confidence around women!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Im not going to talk much about my experience with bullying much because its too depressing.

My last experience was with a team leader who treated me like ****, I ended up leaving my job and having a mental breakdown ( she was only partly responsible, there were many reasons for it).

Before that it was mostly friends who bullied me, in a sneaky way. When I would eventually cop on that they bullying me, because sometimes you dont realise its them thats making you feel down, I would distance myself from them. You know I dont think they even knew they were doing it. Maybe I just attract that kind of person into my life, well not anymore.

Yes it definitely has affected me, in the positive and the negative, I can champion for anyone who is being bullied, just not for myself. I have one friend who I see every few months, I mostly have my family for company. I like to be alone too.

Fuck bullies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

A guy did that and didnt get the crap kicked out off him by someone, Jesus if that happened where I live no matter if I actually knew or liked the girl the hiding I'd give him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I was bullied pretty horrifically when i was younger.

It has probably affected me as an adult by manifesting as a stout refusal to take **** off anyone, ever.
    Aye, likewise.

Going unreg`d for this one.

I was bullied terrible growing up.From 1st year up until 4th year it was really quite severe.Used to get the **** beaten out of me most days...one day I was tied up with a lenght of rope and dragged home by this same idiot on his bike.Another day he decided to use me as target practice and tied me to a tree and threw shuriken stars at me for fun.He thought he was some sort of ninja and used me for practice.

Eventually I snapped--I just lost it.Decided one day that I couldnt take it anymore.So I flipped.I kicked this bloke senseless.All I remember is not being able to stop myself.I remember blood pouring out of his mouth and ears after the kicking I gave him.And then guess what Im the one thats dragged into the principals office and suspended.The whole story came out then and he was expelled..but has it affected me--Hell yeah.

Im like a couple of other posters who flatly refuse to take any **** off anyone these days.
    Ive become the most stubborn person you could ever meet.
    Ive encouraged my kids to stand up to bullies and if that means me defending them to any school head then so be it.My eldest had issues a few months back so I told her to go into school and the next time this bully starts give as good as you get and she did. And now its stopped.

My advice to anyone getting bullied--forget the "lets sort it out through proper procedures" crap.Confront them..give as good a hiding as you get.If theres more then one attck the main culprit.Dont be afraid to loose it altogether and flip out.If the **** hits the fan with principals etc you`ll be the one believed if you can prove its been going on for a while.People have killed themselves over being bullied--I was probably close enough at one stage myself.

YOu know the worst part*--most of the lads that were friends did nothing.They knew it was going on and could have helped.This bloke was one lad on his own--he had no backup but my so called friends stood back and let ne get the **** beaten out of me day after day.
    Then last year I start getting calls to go to a school reunion from these same blokes.Lets just say they were told nicely where to go.Why would I go and pretend to be nice for a couple of hours to lads that I still hate 20 years on.
    No chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

mikemac wrote: »
    The Ladies Lounge had a similar thread a few weeks back, this might be a good thread I hope

Were you bullied when you were younger and has it affected you now years later as an adult?

Well to start with, I had a great time in my rural primary school. Just a village school, everyone knew everyone.
    But got a right rough time in the secondary school, over 600 people there. A big change to me and I was a bit lost there

Looking back I'm not surprised I was picked out as a target and a bully looks for a victim. Glasses, unconfident, slim and weak, yeah I was a target.
    Took it for a long time until one day I snapped and lashed out and wow, never a bother since and my confidence soared. And then I became known as good at hurling and played on the schools teams so that helped a lot.

Met some of the lads later in college and would go for a pint but some others, yeah I still have not forgotten and I'm still bitter.
    Not something I've let go but probably need to.

A teacher once told us the most traumatic thing for a child was not losing their parents, it was bullying and I believe it!

Anyway, some say it makes you stronger and some say it can have a hold of you and make you withdrawn later on.

Just to quote the OP from that other thread pretty much sums it up for me

I hope that's cool to quote from another forum

Anyone care to share?

was never bullied at school , i was however the victim of horrendous bullying in the workplace while down under at the end of the 1990,s when i was 20 , the experience completley and utterly destroyed my life to this day and to make matters worse , the petpetrator was a woman , she subjected me on a daily basis to a tirade of verbal savagery , relentless venemous criticism and outright charecthter assasination , such was the intensity of the bullying , i eventually suffered a nervous breakdown and for a while , actually bought into every black like she told about me , i thought i was the scum of the earth and tried to commit suicide , have suffered from depression to this day as a result and not a day goes by that i dont think of her horrible cruelty , i have no clue where this monster is right now but i live in hope that one day our paths will again cross although its been nearly 13 years now

she was also a secatrian biggot to boot btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Was bullied pretty bad in first and 2nd year, mainly because i had bad anemia at the time and didn't actually have the energy to fight back, but then that got sorted and i made the main guy who do it cry like a little girl.

I think it definitely shaped who i am now to some extent.

I changed primary school when I was in fifth class against my will and was constantly bullied from then until 3rd year in secondary school. Defintely shaped me as a person and still does to this day. I have suppressed a lot of the memories over the years. But I can remember a few such as everyone shouting gay gay gay or something like that in secondary school during an assembly, constantly wishing I had friends, walking alone through school like a pariah, loving classes where everyone was assigned a seat as people would sit next to me, not telling parents as I felt I should cope alone, getting very withdrawn and spending a lot of time online or watching tv, not sleeping, fearing going into school and afraid of bullies, watching people that I used to consider friends drift away as I became more and more socially unacceptable, contemplating suicide, feeling happiness girls etc. were for other people, the desperate ache to have friends, hearing all the interesting adventures and stories other people got up to. It amazing how much is suppressed tho I can only remember tiny parts.

I wore glasses and was pretty skinny so easy target. I always felt after that I had been betrayed by certain friends and that I could never trust anyone. I was also very very desperate for friends for a long time and while other people were interested in girls etc. I really only wanted friends and felt like girls were so far beyond anything I could hope for. I slowly got over most of it and forgive those who did it as they were only children and in later years most copped on. I also wanted to be friends with the people who were bullyng me for some strange and crazy reason and I remember hearing the expression 'maybe you're hanging with the wrong crowd' and feeling like I had had a revelation in some ways I seemed attracted to the hurt and pain I was getting. Completly crazy but true none the less.

I always blamed the bullies for setting me back academically, as I pretty much lost all motivation in school for several years. I remember making the decision to give up on school in the hope that people would like me more. Socially I never had any of the experiences with girls that I wanted. Later when things got tough academically I blamed the bullies for holding me back, anytime I am around a girl the first thought that normally pops into my head is 'why would she have any interest in you?, you don't know anything about girls she'd only be wasting your time with you.'. Late twenties now and never had a girlfriend.

I do have a pretty high pain threshold at this stage I almost enjoy it but underneath I'm still pretty raw emotionally and although I used to think it made me a stronger person, I'd much prefer if it had never happened. I think I would have achieved everything I have and it would have been much easier. I do my best not to stew in self pity and never discuss any of these things but as I said above there is some ingrained mental conditioning that gets built up over years of bullying that is extremely difficult to get rid of. It becomes part of you and something that you must carry and try to work on. Most things I have largely gotten control over I have lots of friends and have a good life but girls are still a problem as at heart I am afraid to get that close to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

One of the best threads I've seen in here in a long long time.

Fair play OP and to every one of you that has posted. There are likely lads ( and lasses ) reading this now that have taken something positive from the experiences that have been posted here.

Doffs hat to all those who have posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Dr Galen wrote: »
    One of the best threads I've seen in here in a long long time.

Fair play OP and to every one of you that has posted. There are likely lads ( and lasses ) reading this now that have taken something positive from the experiences that have been posted here.

Doffs hat to all those who have posted :)

I wonder also are some of the bullies themselves reading through this thread and reflecting on how they may have treated individuals back in their school days! or indeed in the current working environments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yes, I was bullied, yes it affected me.

I don't do well with criticism. I either back into a corner hoping no-one will notice me if I've messed up or if it's with the group of friends I've had for the past 17 years I'll slag myself off, with a level of self deprecation that they wouldn't go near.
    Fortunately, they know the background, and make sure that if there is slagging that it stays at a level where we are all taking lumps out of each other!! :)

I was 16 when the bullying started, I was a successful student, successful at sports, and hung around with the 'trendy' crowd, that bunch of people in your school that everyone likes, not too nerdy but smart, not too (robbing an americanism here) 'Jock' but good at sports, the group that while they were not the centre of attention, cos the hardcore rockers might be beating 7 shades out of the hardcore ravers, but the group that both rockers and ravers chatted to on friendly terms. Going into 3rd year a new lad had come to the school and joined in with our group. For whatever reason he took a dislike to me and started what i can only describe as a campaign to turn my friends against me, friends who i had known for 7 years at that stage. In 5th year it came to a stage where i was totally ostracised by the entire 60+ people in my year. My so called best friend called me to his house one day to tell me that if he wanted to keep his friendship with the rest of the group that we hung around with (6 lads) that i couldn't be his friend anymore. This was in November of 5th year.

I ended up repeating 5th year (I joke with the lads I'm friendly with now that i instigated the 4th year program in our old school) and got in with a group of lads who I have been friendly with since then. Was best man/groomsman at their weddings etc.

But I have to say that what i went through still affects me today. I'm single, find it incredibly difficult to trust people, and in an environment outside my comfort zone you'll find me propping up a wall in the farthest corner from the bright lights and centres of attention.

I did get revenge of a kind though.

As the years have gone by and I changed from a school going kid to a professional worker bee to a worker bee supervisor to a management type bee I never forgave or forgot that core group group of people who turned me into a social pariah.
    So imagine my delight a number of years ago when we were interviewing people for positions at work when one of them turned up. The look on their face when they realised it was me was priceless to say the least. Recently I came across another one one night when i was out for a few pints. He started telling me how hard he was finding it on the dole etc. Really enjoyed telling him about my new car. Karma is a bitch, but I love her!
    I'll freely admit that i was suicidal. It didn't help that i kept it all in, and didn't tell anyone. My parents just thought i was going through a hard time with school, as in the actual learning bit. I was doing 7 honours subjects, so when i stopped going out on a weekend night or even during the weekend days i blamed the schoolwork, and locked myself away in my bedroom. The fact that my schoolwork was suffering and a reasonably smart kid dropped from B average to scraping D's seemed to back this up. I turned from a normal teenager with all the usual teenager tantrums and angst, mixed in with all the usual teenager sunshine and success on the athletics track, to a chap who had a dirty great big black thundercloud following him around, and no interest in anything. I gave up the running, gave up anything that I had been good at.

My time consisted of getting up in the morning, pretending that i was a normal kid going out to school for another day, walk there alone, with classmates totally ignoring me, and other students in the school doing the point and giggle thing that kids are so cruel at but so good at. Coming home in the evening would mean more of the same. After school I'd go up to my room where I would lie on my bed staring at the ceiling, sometimes having a bit of a cry. I'd come down for dinner, have the usual over dinner conversations, all the while putting a face on, help with the clean up then go up to my room to do homework and study. At about 10:30/11:00 each night my parents would go to bed, then i went down stairs to watch Star Trek which was on Sky One at 11 pm in those days. Weekends were helping Dad and Mam out around the house as opposed to going out.

Eventually after 6 months of this I snapped. I can't remember how or why it came about, but I DO remember taking a swing at my Dad and my older brother laying me out flat on my back. I then went to take the two of them on in a physical full on fight. At one stage my Dad actually had his hands on my throat similar to Homer Simpson before he realised what he was doing.... and burst out crying. That set me off. I just broke down and (feck it I have tears in my eyes here tying this!! ) all i can remember saying is I have no friends, I have no friends over and over again.

My parents felt very guilty that they hadn't noticed what had happened, and why 6 people had stopped calling to the door regularly. Mam was on the parents association of the school and pulled strings about the repeating 5th year thing, the School Counsellor got involved and got the teachers to stop bollocking me out of it in class, and suddenly i realised that despite all the psychological bullying that 60 people had put me through i was still there, and by jesus i wasn't gonna let them beat me. April and May went by in a blur as I decided i was actually gonna study properly and get a good college place and get the hell out of my ****hole of a town and become a success and rub everyones noses in it.

Before the Leaving started for the class ahead of us I was called down to the school and 'Offered' (by which it was strongly suggested that i take the chance) of repeating 5th year. I took it. Ended up with a decent Leaving cert which has resulted 17 years later in a good job, with my own house.... in my ****hole of a town. And i deliberately bought here because the lads who i got friendly with at the second swing of 5th year, have all bought around the area.

Would I change anything? Yes and no.
    No, because I'm happy enough with who i am today, and my experiences over a period of 2 1/2 years of my life, while horrible, have helped mould the person typing this out.
    Yes, because I wish i had spoken out sooner, maybe I'd find it easier to trust people now. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that i'll never marry or have kids, even though i'd love to, purely because any relationship i get into gets hijacked by a fear of being rejected again by people i choose to be part of my life, so after at most 2 years (my longest relationship to date) I get itchy feet and get my rejection in first.

All i can suggest to anyone who is being bullied is to say it to someone. It's a horrible thing to have happen to you, you don't deserve it, but trying to carry the weight of something like that on relatively young shoulders is hard.......and if you tell someone it doesn't have to be.

I am a regular poster on the site, as is one of the core group of people who perpetrated the psychological bullying, that's why I'm posting anonymously. Even today, 17/18 years later I don't want those people to know how badly they hurt me.

Don't feel as if you have to go through it alone. Being bullied is nothing to be ashamed of, and I'm well aware of the irony of me typing that line straight after typing the one above it!!

Whatever else you take from my meandering memories of something that I keep buried, take this, being bullied, being suicidal, being totally depressed can be helped by uttering one little 4 letter word.. Help.

Having read what Dr. Galen posted i figured I may as well come clean, and admit that i am the poster of these 2 messages. Hopefully it'll help someone out there going through what i went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Great to see another thread on bullying in here from a guy's perspective. I'm sorry that it happened to you guys, it really sucks. It can affect you for the rest of your life and I detest when people say 'get over it' or 'ignore them'. Very very difficult to do.

You are all very brave for admitting it. And yes 'admitting' isn't the best word to use but I always felt so ashamed for being bullied that I never wanted to acknowledge it - because if I did that meant another little part of me died from the humiliation. It made it all the more real so I down played it. Still do in real life. :o

I don't understand it to this day how someone gets joy or satisfaction from making another person feel bad. It's shame - that's the feeling - and in my opinion the worst part of bullying. Imagine, being 'ashamed' of yourself for no reason but some fúcker told you you should be. That you are worthless and ugly and weak etc. How dare they think they can treat people like that. I don't understand where their sense of entitlement comes from - how can you do that to someone.

I have gone the other way - like a lot of you said. I hate feeling taken advantage of so I probably am a bit pushier than I should be. I fear having no friends but push my friends away at the same time, lest they see the real me and reject me (because of the feeling of shame that I still have about myself).

I can't stand banter unless I'm 100% comfortable with someone and I'm extremely in tune with people's moods. I can sense if someone is enjoying the banter just a little too much and I hate it - I don't think it's funny and I always jump in if I sense that someone is feeling uncomfortable with the spotlight of shame shining on them. Not that I'm perfect or this white knight character - it's just an automatic thing because it makes me just as uncomfortable to witness someone's humiliation, no matter how small.

I am thinking seriously about setting up a support group where I live (not in Ireland). I think it would do people good to get together and blurt it all out - to get rid of that feeling of worthlessness and shame about the treatment that they endured. I'd also place an emphasis on moving past it too and turning it into something positive so that it means something, that the past happened for a reason rather than because of the fúcked up nature of some strange children who enjoyed making others feel bad about themselves.

Chin up lads - don't let the fúckers keep you down. And fair play for telling the stories - better out than in as they say! :)

For years I was sort of the leader of my rather large group of friends. I was a tad bit older than the rest. I'm not sure what sparked it but two or three of the lads decided I was a peadophile for hangin around with younger guys and girls. I lost AT LEAST 20 friends over this as the rest were too quiet to say anything to the lads.. and I just couldnt take the awkwardness of it all.
    I used to get phone calls asking if Ive 'touched any kids lately,' and even months later when I started to make new friends Id be asked if 'the rumours' were true.. and If Id met(french kissed) a 14 year old girl.
    The sickest accusations had been spread through the whole town and my name was dirt.

To this day I can't even look in the general direction of a young kid or anyone that is remotely younger than me without fearing that the lads are nearby and Ill hear the word 'pedo' being called after me.

I genuinely feel sick typing this. Im still not over it and dont think I will be for a long time. Ive got new friends now who also dislike the lads for various reasons.. and a girlfriend of almost two years. Things are looking a lot better than they did when I was 17-20.. but I still hear the taunts in my head - my blood still boils when I see the lads in the street and I do fear that given the right circumstances.. I could make a mess of one of them.

YOu can understand why Im going unreg for this one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

also i just want to apply my post to what this poster said here. i don't want to offend anyone by making them think my small ordeal counts as 'bullying'.

Same, I'm not really bullied, mostly mocked and stuff thrown at me such as rubbers, sheets and pebbles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Kimia wrote: »
    Great to see another thread on bullying in here from a guy's perspective. I'm sorry that it happened to you guys, it really sucks. It can affect you for the rest of your life and I detest when people say 'get over it' or 'ignore them'. Very very difficult to do.

You are all very brave for admitting it. And yes 'admitting' isn't the best word to use but I always felt so ashamed for being bullied that I never wanted to acknowledge it - because if I did that meant another little part of me died from the humiliation. It made it all the more real so I down played it. Still do in real life. :o

I don't understand it to this day how someone gets joy or satisfaction from making another person feel bad. It's shame - that's the feeling - and in my opinion the worst part of bullying. Imagine, being 'ashamed' of yourself for no reason but some fúcker told you you should be. That you are worthless and ugly and weak etc. How dare they think they can treat people like that. I don't understand where their sense of entitlement comes from - how can you do that to someone.

I have gone the other way - like a lot of you said. I hate feeling taken advantage of so I probably am a bit pushier than I should be. I fear having no friends but push my friends away at the same time, lest they see the real me and reject me (because of the feeling of shame that I still have about myself).

I can't stand banter unless I'm 100% comfortable with someone and I'm extremely in tune with people's moods. I can sense if someone is enjoying the banter just a little too much and I hate it - I don't think it's funny and I always jump in if I sense that someone is feeling uncomfortable with the spotlight of shame shining on them. Not that I'm perfect or this white knight character - it's just an automatic thing because it makes me just as uncomfortable to witness someone's humiliation, no matter how small.

I am thinking seriously about setting up a support group where I live (not in Ireland). I think it would do people good to get together and blurt it all out - to get rid of that feeling of worthlessness and shame about the treatment that they endured. I'd also place an emphasis on moving past it too and turning it into something positive so that it means something, that the past happened for a reason rather than because of the fúcked up nature of some strange children who enjoyed making others feel bad about themselves.

Chin up lads - don't let the fúckers keep you down. And fair play for telling the stories - better out than in as they say! :)

thier willingness to denigrate and humiliate others stems from arrogance , the most galling part of my own experience was the fact that the nazi who bullied me used to accuse me of arrogance , this same person used to ask me the following question

give me one reason why i shouldnt treat you like **** ?

it takes a particular form of hubris to utter such a line with a straight face

its one thing being accused of arrogance , its another when its by someone who,s arrogance dwarves your own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Troxck wrote: »
    Same, I'm not really bullied, mostly mocked and stuff thrown at me such as rubbers, sheets and pebbles...

That's bullying. No matter what way you look at it, that is bullying.

It's not the same kind of bullying as a kid in your class beating 7 shades of brown stuff out of you cos he's bigger/stronger, but it's still bullying.

it took me a long time to recognise what happened me WAS bullying. And believe it or not, putting a label to it, realising what it was made it easier to deal with.

Advertisement