Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my puppy neutered - what can I expect?

• 30-04-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Our 6 month old wheaten terrier is getting neutered this afternoon and we have to pick him up this evening and I was just wondering what to expect?

My partner has taken the day off work today and tomorrow so that someone will be at home with him but will it be ok to leave him in the house during the day on Wed?

His main robust behaviour is that he LOVES to run up and down the stairs so we have got a baby gate which has been put up to stop that until he can play without tearing his stitches.

I am just wondering is there anything else we can do to make things a wee bit easier for him?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Hi Op,

I have 3 dogs all neutered..

From my experience your dog will be extremely sleepy and tired, prob look very sad and wont be very playful .. But only for a few days.. 2 -3 days max.

Just allow plenty of sleep and space for it, and a comfy resting area.

It will prob have a lamp shade thingy around the head but make sure you leave it on, if you take it off your dog will pull out the stitches.

EDIT: don't allow him to be jumping down any stairs or any other jumps, his stitches could rip, the vet will advise all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

2nd keeping the lamp shade collar on him even if he doesn't like it.
    It stops him licking the area around the stitches or damaging them - he'll heal a lot quicker with it on. GF's dog was spayed recently, she never went near the stitches until she tought you weren't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Hi Op,

I have 3 dogs all neutered..

From my experience your dog will be extremely sleepy and tired, prob look very sad and wont be very playful .. But only for a few days.. 2 -3 days max.

Just allow plenty of sleep and space for it, and a comfy resting area.

It will prob have a lamp shade thingy around the head but make sure you leave it on, if you take it off your dog will pull out the stitches.

EDIT: don't allow him to be jumping down any stairs or any other jumps, his stitches could rip, the vet will advise all this.

Thats great, thanks for this. The jumping this was a bit of a concern especially because he loves the stairs so we figured the easiest thing to do was get a baby gate and then we can take it off when he is feeling back to normal.

pawrick wrote: »
    2nd keeping the lamp shade collar on him even if he doesn't like it.
    It stops him licking the area around the stitches or damaging them - he'll heal a lot quicker with it on. GF's dog was spayed recently, she never went near the stitches until she tought you weren't around.

So the collar should be kept on especially when we are not there on Wed - sneaky little pups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

My pup wasn't sent home with a collar, and all was fine. There was only one stitch anyway. He was a little sore, but full of energy - the worse thing was not being able to take him out to wear it off.
    Hope your fellow has it as easy - LOVE wheaten terriers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Sorry to derail the thread a bit OP but I'm just wondering how much it was to get your dog neutered as I am currently in a situation which we are thinking of getting him neutered, thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Sorry to derail the thread a bit OP but I'm just wondering how much it was to get your dog neutered as I am currently in a situation which we are thinking of getting him neutered, thank you :)

I know getting my dog spayed was about €100, but I think the neutering is cheaper, maybe only €50-60 (could depend on size of dog). Oh if your on some social welfare payments dogs trust do neutering vouchers (at selected vets) now n then so you can get it done for free or maybe it's €14 (sorry for all the vague info ha). Aw my girl was so sad for a couple days after her neutering- she was usually so full of life but she just hid behind the couch under the radiator, I felt so sorry for her. I think its not as big operation for boys tho so hopefully he'll be ok. Yeah just keep him comfy & warm, best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

You don't happen to know if they do any discounts for people with student cards? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

We had our pup neutered recently , and like you took the day off expecting a snivelling wreck to come home. He didn't have a collar, only a small stitch and he was as good as new within minutes of being home. You wouldn't have guessed he'd just been neutered. ( best thing we ever did btw... Got rid of a lot of randiness IMO )
    Hope your little guy is ok, and best of luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

You don't happen to know if they do any discounts for people with student cards? :P

Ah don't tink so unfortunately. I think some vets might let you pay it off bit by bit, not all in one go. If you live in dublin I was reading bout Blue Cross' mobile unit that visits certain areas of Dublin on certain nights with subsidised vetcare, might be worth a look.

• Advertisement

We paid 80e and that included some pain medication to last a few days and the antibiotics to keep any infections at bay. I have to say it is money well spent as the benefits of neutering are much better for both the dog and the owner.

Ok folks bit of an update. The vet called us to say we needed to pick him up earlier than expected as he had come round quite quickly after the surgery and was howling for Ireland in the clinic the poor thing. Anyway when we arrived the howling instantly stopped so it obviously wasnt to do with pain and more to do with wondering where the hell we had gone to and why he was in this strange place.

He was very dopey when we took him home and the vet didnt give him a cone but we asked for one as I dont want to risk him getting at his stitches when we leave him along tomorrow.

He slept a lot but when we tried to move him late last night when we were going to bed he let an almighty scream out of him so my advice for anyone thinking of doing the same, for the first day, if you have to move the pup just lift him in his bed and take him where you want him to go. It was horrible!

He was yelping a bit this morning when he woke up (pretty sure he had forgot it all and then stretched which caused him a bit of pain). Other than walking very slowly and a bit like John Wayne he has been very quiet. Hoping he will come round in a few days.

Still made a (slower than usual) bee-line for the stairs this morning though!!

planetX wrote: »
    My pup wasn't sent home with a collar, and all was fine. There was only one stitch anyway. He was a little sore, but full of energy - the worse thing was not being able to take him out to wear it off.
    Hope your fellow has it as easy - LOVE wheaten terriers:D

I have to say (although I might be a little bit biased) Wheaten Terriers are great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

btw re costs of neutering - some animal charities give out vouchers to unemployed people to get their cats neutered, not sure for dogs for definitely for cats although they run out very quickly and it probably depends on the charity too. Similar to what blue cross do but they have their own facilities.

Advertisement