Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church wedding music

• 10-03-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi! I'm looking for suggestions for music suitable for the mass of a wedding - for soprano and piano, and also instrumentals/pieces for solo piano. Any little gems you might have heard or played before, that really stood out from the run of the mill wedding music. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Franz Schubert's Ave Maria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

"You are mine" by david haas , can be a bit cheesy but still a nice song

Amarilli Mia Bella by Caccini... more secular than sacred, so probably during the signing of the registry!!
    Ombra mai Fu by Handel (alot of the versions on you tube are too slow for a wedding)

Wachet Auf (sleepers awake) by bach,,

Jesu Joy of mans desiring by bach

Philip Glass Etude no.2 for solo piano if the pianist could use a big organ sound (or a real one with with foot pedals!!) I played it at the end after the bride had walked out the church..has to be loud though .. Listen to a piano version on youtube:search "Philip Glass: Etude No.2 (from Etudes for Solo Piano"

DEfinitely not hallelujah by leonard Cohen (People,, people this is not a LOVE song or HOLY Song,, read the lyrics)
    Definitely not Tacobel's cannon in D..
    DEfinitely not "in a country churchyard" by CrispeBurger ... priest will be havin a heart attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 flojomac

Many of the Italian arias are love songs...there are some beautiful Schubert or Schumann pieces...see his song cycle Frauen liebe und leben. There are several Ave Maria's by fabulous composers such a Gomez which seem to just get overlooked. French song are very passionate. Although my website is geared for the masses..it is always much more interesting to perform true works of art from the classical repertoire, so if you want to click onto my you tube link and you like what you hear...contact me and we can talk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysHRD4iH-w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Armelodie wrote: »
    "You are mine" by david haas , can be a bit cheesy but still a nice song

Amarilli Mia Bella by Caccini... more secular than sacred, so probably during the signing of the registry!!
    Ombra mai Fu by Handel (alot of the versions on you tube are too slow for a wedding)

Wachet Auf (sleepers awake) by bach,,

Jesu Joy of mans desiring by bach

Philip Glass Etude no.2 for solo piano if the pianist could use a big organ sound (or a real one with with foot pedals!!) I played it at the end after the bride had walked out the church..has to be loud though .. Listen to a piano version on youtube:search "Philip Glass: Etude No.2 (from Etudes for Solo Piano"

DEfinitely not hallelujah by leonard Cohen (People,, people this is not a LOVE song or HOLY Song,, read the lyrics)
    DEfinitely not "in a country churchyard" by CrispeBurger ... priest will be havin a heart attack

Is "in a country churchyard" a real no no ? I know it's not catholic but the sentiment is harmless ---if you leave out the last verse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Giordano's "Caro Mio Ben" is nice, and fairly well known. (Plenty of versions on YouTube)

• Advertisement

Is "in a country churchyard" a real no no ? I know it's not catholic but the sentiment is harmless ---if you leave out the last verse!

Hmm twas all Kosher untill the ChrisDeBurgh Nanny incident

I think it's one of their official banned songs!!!list brought out about 5 years ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Armelodie wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hmm meant Pachelbel's Cannon in D,it's very VERY VERY popular and easy for musicians to play if yer stuck for suggestions ,,but if ya like it then go for it,,, some musicians have put up lists of their repertoire on the internet and would be willing to mail you suggestions you can have a listen to on youtube..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Bluewolf's a cellist - she knows Pachelbel's canon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭music producer

Agree with previous poster - Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring is unbeatable. All People That On Earth Do Dwell is a great community/congregational song too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement