Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Train Ireland Released!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭smackyB

Irish Rail have kindly agreed to revert back to old format from tomorrow until Monday so it should work again soon. I'll (hopefully!) come up with a fix in the meantime for the new results. The new format will result in the loss of the origin time (time train started at) for each train.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Thanks for the update smackyB, had to resort to using Traein this evening, which just isn't as good as yours.

New version works with new result format but you might get gibberish looking text for origin and latest information until I can put out a better release

EDIT: pulling it: found a crashing bug!

EDIT EDIT: New version up, 1.28. Removes gibberish text but unfortunately couldn't get the latest info field to parse so its disabled for the moment. Any crashes please submit thanks!

v1.3 is now live. Adds new stations on the Dunboyne line and has a (hopefully!) more robust parser. One known issue is that the Dunboyne services won't show up at stations where there are other services running (eg. Clonsilla or Connolly when it runs there at the weekend). This is due to an issue on the IE website which I'm told will be fixed this week. Also the app has Hansfield listed as a station but it obviously won't return any results until the station is open.

• Advertisement

Ok so Merchant Accounts can now be setup by Irish developers and with the imminent availability of paid applications, I'm going to make Next Train Ireland a paid application. This will of course have no ads in it and I've enabled the ability to move to SD as an extra incentive! I've pulled the free version for the moment with the aim of eventually releasing a free version with fewer features as an incentive for people to move to the paid version. I hope you guys have found the app useful enough to make the switch to the paid version. It will cost €2.50, about the price of a DART single!

Cheers

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BladeRunner1

Great app, thanks. Very useful

v2.0 just went live - App is completely re-written from the ground up with a new-look UI, nicer looking results, better map functionality with quicker location fix and ability to launch google navigation. Paid app price has also been reduced to 1.99!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

has anyone else reported problems downloading it from the market? i both 3g and wifi it seems to hang on "starting download".

Yeh it's a been a bit dodgy for me all day, took a couple of retries to get it going..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Very impressed with the look of v2. Have noticed it crashes when I select Connolly in the Dublin-Longford section. Works fine from the DART section though.

Yep that's fixed in an update I just pushed out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

Great app and purchased the full version over a few weeks ago.

I would love a feature added to it if possible.

If a quick scroll by letter could be added that would be great so you can scroll through the list of stations quicker.
    Apps like Audiogalaxy & DoubleTwist have this feature when scrolling through albums/artists.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Really like this app.

A little feedback (because I think it's good to get feedback :)): It's a bit too many selections. I'd prefer if (for example) I didn't have to select "northbound / southbound". I'd be happy to let my eyes do that. There aren't really enough trains from my station to differentiate with a click each time.

Also, would love to be able to put a shortcut on the main screen (like traein).

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definitely consider it for the next update. I've got a lot of other Android work on the go at the moment so fitting updates for NTI into my schedule is tricky. I would certainly like to add a shortcut for stations in the next update. Thanks for all the positive feedback boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I see Dublin bus are going live soon with their location system so perhaps this or a similar app could do the same for bus services?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    I see Dublin bus are going live soon with their location system so perhaps this or a similar app could do the same for bus services?

Yes that's something I'd definitely be interested in doing, depending on how difficult Dublin Bus make it to scrape the data. Given the mess that is their current site, I'm not optimistic.

v3.0 just went live

- Brand new app design with Android 4.0 optimisations!
    - Save an unlimited number of favourites
    - Exclusive to paid version: create a stop shortcut on your homescreen
    - Better travel alert handling and reading
    - Fixed no results for Grand Canal Dock

kcxefbcuEQGXp67LpU08XRPy0TC9iKuqfWmRkrn6_L9kXHCMu81J4bQmN1Vo3r5cSR0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i like the update. the whole apps seems a lot fresher and cleaner, although it appears mainly cosmetic.

perhaps you could consider changing the north/south step you have when you pick a station though? maybe just list all the times and skip that step like train times ireland does?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Excellent update, makes it much easier to use, especially when I'm on a bus heading to the Dart as I can have my local stations stored as favourites.
    Random wrote: »
    perhaps you could consider changing the north/south step you have when you pick a station though? maybe just list all the times and skip that step like train times ireland does?

Don't agree, at a given point in time I only need to see the trains going in a particular direction so prefer to be able to segregate northbound/southbound Dart trains as separate entries in the favourites list.

Good work, have just updated to the paid version, happy to pay for useful apps.

• Advertisement

The Twitter feed (news) doesn't work for me on 3G only on Wi-Fi, same as on Train Times Ireland, I'm on Meteor, has anyone else experienced the same?

EDIT: Never mind , is back working now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

draffodx wrote: »
    The Twitter feed (news) doesn't work for me on 3G only on Wi-Fi, same as on Train Times Ireland, I'm on Meteor, has anyone else experienced the same?

I've been experiencing the same - it's Meteor, no 3rd party twitter apps have been working for me since last Thursday when no https sites were working for a few hours.

Noticed for Maynooth it says Northbound/Southbound instead of east/west.

Just got the new update today, very nice indeed!

Thanks, already found some issues with the release

- Crash on paid version when no trains are found
    - Some stations seem to be missing from certain routes

Will release a fix for this in the coming days so please report any other bugs if you come across them!

Then I'll start work on tarting up the bus app :D

smackyB wrote: »
    Thanks, already found some issues with the release

- Crash on paid version when no trains are found
    - Some stations seem to be missing from certain routes

Will release a fix for this in the coming days so please report any other bugs if you come across them!

Then I'll start work on tarting up the bus app :D

I don't use it as much as parking has become cheaper than getting the DART :rolleyes:

But will indeed report anything found!

Advertisement