Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Tribunal report

• 21-03-2012 12:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Unverified but this has been tweeted a little earlier by Village Magazine which is reputable enough with sources:

Thursday 10 am Mahon Tribunal report, now. Mah'n and boy.

VillageMagIRE
    Village Magazine

4326f39cc6e2.gif

[MOD]Report is here: http://www.flood-tribunal.ie/images/sitecontent_921.pdf[/MOD]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

This could be reliable given that the editor Michael Smith instigated the whole thing.

Calls for this I think...

theSnoopyDance.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I wonder will criminal charges follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So what else is going to be announced on Thursday then? It must be really bad news if they are thinking about (finally) hurling out the Mahon report as cover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

It's weird how the media and certain commentators are quiet about the length of time (far too long - not the Tribunal's fault) and the costs (despite it being potentially self-financing) until very particular times - Ahern's evidence for example, or when the Quarryvale module was on, and now when the report is near publication.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

So any word? I don't think it's been denied.

EDIT: RTE news tweet just now

RTÉ News ‏ @rtenews Close
    A government spokesperson has said ministers expect that the Mahon Tribunal Report will be published tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

darkman2 wrote: »
    So any word? I don't think it's been denied.

EDIT: RTE news tweet just now

Lets up it lives up to the expectations.

THE MAHON TRIBUNAL’S final report into planning corruption and payments to politicians will be published tomorrow morning, TheJournal.ie understands.

The Tribunal of Inquiry Into Certain Planning Matters and Payments was established almost 15 years ago and is the longest running tribunal in the history of the State. It is expected to cost as much as €300 million when final legal bills are settled.
    The publication date of the final report has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks. This evening, RTÉ political correspondent David Davin Power told the Six One News that a government source had confirmed to him the report would be published tomorrow.

TheJournal.ie has been able to confirm separately with a source close to the tribunal that its final report will be published tomorrow morning. It is expected to go live on the Mahon Tribunal’s website at 10am.

On Tuesday night, Village magazine tweeted to say the report would be published at 10am on Thursday.

Later Politics.ie noted that the magazine, previously owned by broadcaster and journalist Vincent Browne, is now published by Michael Smith, who, along with barrister Colm MacEochaidh, initially offered a IRL£10,000 reward for information that would lead to convictions for planning corruption.

The tribunal, which was initially chaired by Judge Feargus Flood and later Judge Alan Mahon, has spent the past 15 years investigating allegations of corrupt payments to politicians for the rezoning of land for development in the Dublin area.

The report is expected to deal extensively with the financial affairs of former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern who was forced to resign in 2008 amid ongoing controversy over evidence he gave to the tribunal concerning payments from developer Owen O’Callaghan.

Ahern has consistently denied any wrongdoing but questions were raised after his evidence was contradicted during the proceedings.

The report’s publication will come on the first anniversary of the publication of the Moriarty Tribunal’s final report into payments to politicians and related matters. That report was heavily critical of former government minister Michael Lowry.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mahon-tribunal-report-to-be-published-tomorrow-morning-391789-Mar2012

bursting with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Everyone confirms that the Mahon report will be out tomorrow.

I am happy because we will no longer be spending 100s of millions of euros on this farce.

Politicians don't receive justice.
    Bertie will never see a day in jail, nor will Lowry , Callely , etc

Everyone knew Bertie didn't win it on the horses. I didn't need to spend 300 million to overpaid solicitors and judges to tell me that.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

raymon wrote: »
    Everyone knew Bertie didn't win it on the horses. I didn't need to spend 300 million to overpaid solicitors and judges to tell me that.
    I'm seeing a lot of this sort of reaction. I'm not clear what your point is: would we be better off as a country not having had an investigation, and contenting ourselves with simply "knowing" that corruption is happening?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of this sort of reaction. I'm not clear what your point is: would we be better off as a country not having had an investigation, and contenting ourselves with simply "knowing" that corruption is happening?

You are missing the point completely.

Tribunals are a very inefficient way of bringing people to justice.
    300000000 euro spent and at the end nobody is jailed ??!!

The cost is too high and the outcome is inconsequential. It will be talked about for a week then forgotten about.

Think how many white collar criminals could be brought to justice by investing 300,000,000 euro into a white collar crime unit.

Please tell me why you think tribunals are good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Why is it out tomorrow? We supposed to be paying an anglo bond or something:confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

raymon wrote: »
    You are missing the point completely.

Tribunals are a very inefficient way of bringing people to justice.
    300000000 euro spent and at the end nobody is jailed ??!!

The cost is too high and the outcome is inconsequential. It will be talked about for a week then forgotten about.

Think how many white collar criminals could be brought to justice by investing 300,000,000 euro into a white collar crime unit.
    With respect, I don't think I missed the point: I think you didn't make the point. If you wanted to suggest that a criminal prosecution should have been brought instead of a tribunal, you should first of all have said so, and secondly have made a compelling case that there was sufficient evidence to achieve a conviction for corruption.
    Please tell me why you think tribunals are good ?
    I didn't say tribunals are good, I challenged your apparent assertion that not having had a tribunal would have been better than having a tribunal.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    With respect, I don't think I missed the point: I think you didn't make the point. If you wanted to suggest that a criminal prosecution should have been brought instead of a tribunal, you should first of all have said so, and secondly have made a compelling case that there was sufficient evidence to achieve a conviction for corruption. I didn't say tribunals are good, I challenged your apparent assertion that not having had a tribunal would have been better than having a tribunal.

My original point was that the tribunal cost at 300 million was too expensive and that politicians generally don't see justice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

What will today's report tell us that a subscription to the backissues of the Irish Times couldn't. We have heard it all before during the years and years and years of hearings. Today is just a reminder of the hundreds of millions wasted by people we foolishly trusted (politicians and then lawyers). In my opinion they are both as bad as each other when it comes to abuse of the trust placed in them and waste of taxpayer's money. They were all happy to trade their reputations for wealth. I'll be turning off the radio and TV for the day. To hell with them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

darkman2 wrote: »
    Mahon Tribunal report could be out on Thursday

Does it really matter? Because it will undoubtedly be utterly toothless and impotent in its findings

• Supposed to be online now but the website is sloooooooooow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You'll find it here:

http://www.flood-tribunal.ie/images/sitecontent_921.pdf

Still waiting to download it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Ahern bound to be out of the country ! keep his head down for a week or two probelm solved and we will all move on just like we did with Lowry !
    We dont do accountability !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The findings against DOB didn't do him much harm. Up ringing the stock exchange bell with Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

So what else is going to be announced on Thursday then? It must be really bad news if they are thinking about (finally) hurling out the Mahon report as cover

My bet would be on some sort of Anglo promissory note deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

From the Journal.ie
    Page 2481 of the report states that much of the explanation provided by Bertie Ahern as to the source of the substantial funds identified and inquired into during the Tribunal’s public hearings was deemed by the Tribunal to have been untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its fecking huge! 80 mbs approx.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Delving into it now, it is huge!

Much of Aherns evidence in regards the cash payments seems to be have been rejected - although no corruption claims can be validated as the source of the cash cannot be validated . . . but people can read between the lines on that one.

Sort of a Moriarty 2.0 . . .

EDIT: Former FG Cllr Liam Cosgrave confirmed corrupt . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Really not looking good for Bertie, from my reading, it is saying that they don't believe anything he put to them as the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

umm so the Mahon Tribunal has agreed with my opinions of Bertie's evidence.

Don't suppose the mods here want to offer me an apology for been banned years ago for saying exactly what the Tribunal has said today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You better find the post in question!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

300 million notes for... what? What exactly will happen because of this long-time-coming report? Will those corrupt and 'merely lying' politicians and developers get their comeuppances? Have to repay things from a 6 by 12 prison cell?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Advertisement