Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

brigal wrote: »
    Get a time machine and go back to October 08, apply on publicjobs.ie, then do the aptitude test, get back in the time machine and come back to January of this year and find out you've been called for an interview, do the interview and hop back in the time machine and jump ahead maybe a year, find out the date of the medical and physical off the letter they may have sent, hop back in the time machine and come back on that date, personally I think that would be the best way, beats waiting around

Sounds easy ill get right on that im off out to buy one of these

http://cdn.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/back-to-the-future-car.png

Comes supplied with Doc and all they can keep the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Sounds easy ill get right on that im off out to buy one of these

http://cdn.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/back-to-the-future-car.png

Comes supplied with Doc and all they can keep the kid.

There's an even easier way to find out...

Read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There's an even easier way to find out...

Read the thread.

In fairness, he probably would be quicker building a time machine.

In fairness, he probably would be quicker building a time machine.

Page 1, post 13

Hardly that much of a hassle?

Page 1, post 13

:rolleyes:

yeh because when you go onto a thread and see over 3000 posts your meant to go scowerng through the whole lot get a grip would ya, and stop being such a hole page 1 post 13 would of been suffice and the polite response, manners and politeness cost ya nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Page 1, post 13

yeh because when you go onto a thread and see over 3000 posts your meant to go scowerng through the whole lot get a grip would ya, and stop being such a hole page 1 post 13 would of been suffice and the polite response, manners and politeness cost ya nothing.

Welcome to the waiting room Mary Poppins.

Finding it hard to understand that little rant to be honest, "txtspk" not really my thing...

Surely page 1 wouldn't have been too much of a struggle for you?

We could have helped with any big words...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Finding it hard to understand that little rant to be honest, "txtspk" not really my thing...

Surely page 1 wouldn't have been too much of a struggle for you?

We could have helped with any big words...

You must be a bitter bitter man, anytime I have come across a post by you on this thread it had only been negative, lighten up, a guy asked a question and I was in the mood to humour him, if you don't have something positive to contribute why bother?? Your not impressing anybody!!

Want me to post the pm you just sent me on here do you?

It's gone to a Mod, he can sort it out.

You must be a bitter bitter man, anytime I have come across a post by you on this thread it had only been negative, lighten up, a guy asked a question and I was in the mood to humour him, if you don't have something positive to contribute why bother?? Your not impressing anybody!!

Believe it or not i've got as much right to my opinion as you do.

At least you read the thread.

• Advertisement

Want me to post the pm you just sent me on here do you?

It's gone to a Mod, he can sort it out.

Yeh i dont mind send it to a mod im sure hell see no problem with the pm i sent :confused:, i sent you a pm instead of derailing this thread which you seem determined to do for some reason :confused:

Anyway im out of here thanks for being so helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Believe it or not i've got as much right to my opinion as you do.

At least you read the thread.

You have your right to your opinion but your not giving one, your just trying to belittle some whose seeking information

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

i agree with you, lawros tache knows it all, in his opinion anyways and by the way its the only one that counts apparently

You have your right to your opinion but your not giving one, your just trying to belittle some whose seeking information

What a wonderfullly awe-inspiring, thought-provoking set of posts.

Thank you so much for your insight into the world of amateur psychology, truly Boards is a better place for having you as a member.

I'm sure luvbulmers thanks you for fighting his corner and for protecting him from the big bad man.

Yeh i dont mind send it to a mod im sure hell see no problem with the pm i sent :confused:, i sent you a pm instead of derailing this thread which you seem determined to do for some reason :confused:

Anyway im out of here thanks for being so helpful.

I have indeed sent it to him.

I'm sure when he deciphers the grammatical and spelling errors and puts the punctuation back into the relevant places then he'll get back to us.

pada1981 wrote: »
    i agree with you, lawros tache knows it all, in his opinion anyways and by the way its the only one that counts apparently

Coming from you pada, that's a compliment.

Good to see this place hasn't changed at all.

Everybody should chill out and take every post here with a pinch of salt.

Good to see this place hasn't changed at all.

Everybody should chill out and take every post here with a pinch of salt.

thats true, a few bitter 'jailers' on this that have become the stereo-typical 'jailer', bitter and twisted and know it all, sad really, i dont know why these people are on this, probably lonely when there not in work and have no life when outside of work. this thread is about helping people along in this very time consuming horrible process and giving advice, not personally attacking people.

thats true, a few bitter 'jailers' on this that have become the stereo-typical 'jailer', bitter and twisted and know it all, sad really, i dont know why these people are on this, probably lonely when there not in work and have no life when outside of work. this thread is about helping people along in this very time consuming horrible process and giving advice, not personally attacking people.

It's funny that if you read back through the thread, between the noise, there is a constant repetition of a rookie asking a question, an old dog giving an answering, and an argument of crossed wires following.

But then again it's definitely an accurate representation of how the jails are so maybe it's for the best.

It's funny that if you read back through the thread, between the noise, there is a constant repetition of a rookie asking a question, an old dog giving an answering, and an argument of crossed wires following.

But then again it's definitely an accurate representation of how the jails are so maybe it's for the best.

i disagree, maybe its the condensending attitude when certain people answer. 99% of staff are more than willing to give 'rookies' a small bit of respect and help them as best they can and then you have the 1% of staff that forget that they were ever 'rookies' and are bitter about getting over looked for promotion.

• Advertisement

i disagree, maybe its the condensending attitude when certain people answer. 99% of staff are more than willing to give 'rookies' a small bit of respect and help them as best they can and then you have the 1% of staff that forget that they were ever 'rookies' and are bitter about getting over looked for promotion.

Well I meant more about the 'not talking back to your seniors' carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

99% of rookies are quite happy to take any advice given to them and then make up their own mind if its good or bad. There is always that 1% that think they know it all because they are either jail pups or just pups full stop. Its not just senior staff who can be bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brat74

Its not that senior staff are bitter, they have just seen it all before and just have no interest whatsoever any more. They dont ignore new people on purpose, they just hardly even notice them. Recruits will learn soon enough by just watching the senior staff. The job just becomes second nature and you run on auto pilot eventually. And from my own experience, 99.9% of the staff who are playing the big hard man in front of so called rookies, are more than likely not in the job a wet week themselves. So, anyone thats joining, all the best, every day is a school day, new staff are badly needed and will be welcomed. And if it does "kick off" dont try to be rambo, just be quietly confident in your ability and do what you have to without any fuss or bravado and you will be fine. Good luck to all..

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

brat74 wrote: »
    Its not that senior staff are bitter, they have just seen it all before and just have no interest whatsoever any more. They dont ignore new people on purpose, they just hardly even notice them. Recruits will learn soon enough by just watching the senior staff. The job just becomes second nature and you run on auto pilot eventually. And from my own experience, 99.9% of the staff who are playing the big hard man in front of so called rookies, are more than likely not in the job a wet week themselves. So, anyone thats joining, all the best, every day is a school day, new staff are badly needed and will be welcomed. And if it does "kick off" dont try to be rambo, just be quietly confident in your ability and do what you have to without any fuss or bravado and you will be fine. Good luck to all..
    I agree brat , after you are 20 years + in the job you work on auto pilot and have no interest whatsoever in playing the hard man leave that to the stupid young fellas :rolleyes::rolleyes: you get more sense as you come to realise theres no point, the name of the game at this stage is to get in to work do your time as quietly as possible and go home in one piece ;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cappojc

well lads, any post arrive for anyone? I am away at the moment so cant check letterbox.. Following this thread a good while , only posting now cause interview went well. Thought i could see the light at end of tunnel ..anyone any info? even a whisper:D.....

brat74 wrote: »

i never said all senior staff in jails are bitter, all i said was there are some bitter jailers on this thread that are too quick to ****e all over comments left by people with less service than them, but i agree with everything else you said

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

We have all come across bitter jailers during work, possibly some people are getting bitter very early in their service, thankfully I think most would help out a fellow worker, (from my experience ) . I also think that for anyone following this thread who are hoping to join the prison service most jailers who are bitter its caused by the SYSTEM, its not because they hate to see new officers coming in. I think if people in the job want to bitch on about the job, it should be on a different thread not this one as some things being said is very negative and don't give a true reflection of work in a prison. There are people following this tread who know very little about working in a prison and this thread is not as helpful as it could be. On a personal level I enjoy going to work bar the pay cuts in the last few years.

Yeah, it's definitely not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

We have all come across bitter jailers during work, possibly some people are getting bitter very early in their service, thankfully I think most would help out a fellow worker, (from my experience ) . I also think that for anyone following this thread who are hoping to join the prison service most jailers who are bitter its caused by the SYSTEM, its not because they hate to see new officers coming in. I think if people in the job want to bitch on about the job, it should be on a different thread not this one as some things being said is very negative and don't give a true reflection of work in a prison. There are people following this tread who know very little about working in a prison and this thread is not as helpful as it could be. On a personal level I enjoy going to work bar the pay cuts in the last few years.
    yeah and that is why i don't post anymore. i think when you first come in you are unaware of how "the system" effects you. its only after time you realise how futile it is complaining especially now with the way management has turned in the past few years. what with the inspector of prisons and ombudspeople i can understand why management are running scared. every i has to be dotted and every t needs to be crossed. it has come to the times that prison officers are on trial for disciplinary reasons because of an inmates words.
    no p19s are done anymore. whats the point? the new pims system is great! the governors are happy. the inmates are happy - that is all that matters.

i understand we are moulding a new breed of prison officer but i'm sorry when you used to be able to give them a hiding those were the good days. now you can't touch them and they are given a playstation for throwing **** at officers to placate them.

i watched an officer get walked to the gate this evening on disciplinary charges and that was enough for me. it broke the camels back! someone who was a good officer and had a lot of experience and service.

and when i look at my wage slip on my first year and realise i was earning more than all these years later now it disgusts me.

good luck to them. i will do little and have no interest in the job. they have taken everything away from me. i can barely afford my mortgage now.

the guards feel the same. i don't care anymore. they don't care anymore. its a wonder ireland has not gone into anarchy.

i wonder when people rely on our public services what do they expect?

so thank you alan shatter - yes you are right - morale is high :D

this is the new liberal world they speak of and to take cheap shots at eachother here is petty and futile. you have plenty of colleagues to soundboard off. ;)

for this reason killabban what you said is right. i was a bit confused about this thread. was it for new recruits or seasoned officers? it seems to be advice for new officers and i have no place here.

also i can understand we are in a recession and new recruits that have come in in the last year or so are happy and grateful to have a job. we have to look at the other side of the coin.

for these reasons this thread does not interest me much.

• Advertisement

for these reasons this thread does not interest me much.

Don't write yourself off just yet.
    When I started the job, little over a year ago, I would probably have just glanced over a post like that. But now a year on, alot of it makes sense and is still relevant so I'd say it's still worth everyones while to have these points passed on to the next generation.

And who knows, in another year, it might mean even more again.

Advertisement