Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV3 to build €4m HD studio

• 19-08-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

From Thursday's Irish Times
    TV3 to build €4m studio for live audience shows
    RONAN McGREEVY

Thu, Aug 18, 2011

TV3 IS to double the size of its existing facility in Ballymount, Dublin, with a new studio capable of being used for high definition television.

The 500sq m studio will cost between €4 million and €5 million and will be part of an adjacent building which will also house a number of independent production companies.

TV3 chief executive David McRedmond said the new studio, which will be ready towards the middle of next year, will be critical in ensuring the station reaches the goal of producing 50 per cent of its own content. It is currently at 40 per cent.

The new studio will allow TV3 to host programmes in front of a live audience and screen programmes in high definition.

At present, all of TV3’s live output, including IrelandAM, Midweek, Tonight with Vincent Browne and the Champions’ League coverage comes from a single studio which is in operation 18 hours a day.

The new studio will be located in a building adjacent to its present premises in Ballymount and amounts to a significant investment by Doughty Hanson, the venture capital company which paid €230 million for TV3 in 2006.

Mr McRedmond anticipates the studio will be heavily used by independent production companies and will allow them to export many of their programmes abroad.

The model of a major studio attached to a commercial television station was well-established elsewhere, he said, citing Granada studios’ attachment to ITV as an example. “There is a worldwide shortage of television content. Ireland is ideally placed,” he added.

In the latest completed accounts for 2009, TV3 made an operating profit of €1.9 million following a precipitous decline in advertising revenue in 2008, the last year of the boom.

The operating loss of Tullamore Beta, TV3’s parent company, doubled to €135 million as a result of writedown on the goodwill value of the business by €118.7 million, reflecting the downturn in the economy.

Mr McRedmond said revenues were up 6 per cent last year and advertising spot revenue growth is up 4 per cent this year, but the recovery in advertising revenue was, he said, being stymied by RTÉ.

The rival broadcaster had fixed the cost of television advertising when the recession first began, and rates were between 10 and 15 per cent too low – even given the state of the economy.

A long-time critic of the dual-funding model which funds RTÉ, he urged the Department of Communications to act decisively and create an RTÉ channel solely devoted to public service broadcasting, with no advertising.

“The Department of Communications is moving at a pace that is completely ignorant of the challenges that the country is going through,” he said.

TV3 will announce its autumn schedule later today, with several new programmes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0818/1224302638633.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Another McRedmond gem.... honestly.

I wonder who exactly is paying for the studio.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

STB wrote: »

Doughty Hanson probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hmmmm. I am sure screenproducers and the independent producers will be coughing up some dough.

TV3 will need more space unless they where planning on running 3kids (in addition to their +1 channel) from a broom cupboard.

Mr McRedmond no doubt believes that the platform built by RTENL (at considerable cost to the tax payer) that will house these commercial TV3 channels should be sublet to them for a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

I hope its not for the Tallaght-Jersey Shore style programme??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I bet only half of it will be real HD gear and the other half will be a makeup studio for what passes for celebs on that channel.

• Advertisement

Niall Cogley is TV3's new Director of Broadcast. According to this article he will "take responsibility for the strategic and operational development of broadcast operations including engineering, technology and distribution and the construction of Ireland's first large-scale High Definition studio facility, due to come on-line next year" .

He is due to take up his post on 1 October.
    Niall Cogley Joins TV3 as Head of Broadcast

Niall Cogley has been appointed as director of broadcast at TV3. Cogley will take responsibility for the strategic and operational development of broadcast operations including engineering, technology and distribution and the construction of Ireland's first large-scale High Definition studio facility, due to come on-line next year.

Cogley has over 20 years of broadcast experience, having previously worked as CEO at Setanta Sports Ireland where he was also a co-founder. Prior to that he was head of sport at RTE. He will take up his new job in early October.

According to TV3's CEO David McRedmond "Niall is a big talent to bring into TV3. He joins and extends a talented management team at a point of significant recovery from the recession. I look forward to Niall building on TV3's low-cost reputation to ensure that the company is a leader in broadcasting."

Niall Cogley adds"I am delighted to be invited to join such an ambitious organisation at this exciting time in the broadcast industry. TV3 have demonstrated real leadership in the media sector over the last number of years and I look forward to helping the business develop and grow rapidly in the coming years.

"TV3's dramatically increased share over recent years is a measure of their commercial and programming success and their investment in the new HD studio will position TV3 as the centre of the Irish media industry for the foreseeable future. It is very exciting to be a part of that."

http://www.adworld.ie/news/read/?id=4ef31da0-5c68-4c6c-a886-2845c0765038

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

The Cush wrote: »
    Niall Cogley is TV3's new Director of Broadcast. According to this article he will "take responsibility for the strategic and operational development of broadcast operations including engineering, technology and distribution and the construction of Ireland's first large-scale High Definition studio facility, due to come on-line next year" .

He is due to take up his post on 1 October.

Em, what? Who is he?

Anyway, what in the name of god do they plan on exporting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

blackdog2 wrote: »
    Em, what? Who is he?

Anyway, what in the name of god do they plan on exporting?

ex head of rte sport and setanta sports ireland

I expect tv3 to take and new live sports tv rights in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Well done TV3, at least they are creating jobs and not milking the system like RTE

• They will probably make a balls of it if their programme scheduling is anything to go by. Advertising Downton Abbey all week to start last night and then they decide to change it to next Sunday.If ITV ever comes onto the Irish epg I would never bother with them again!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

STB wrote: »
    Another McRedmond gem.... honestly.

Probably the staff who had to take redundancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If ITV ever comes onto the Irish epg I would never bother with them again!:mad:

TV3 will try their best to make sure that never happens for the very reason you give.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

blackdog2 wrote: »
    Em, what? Who is he?

ex-RTE and son of the legendary rugby commentator Fred...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Poly wrote: »
    Well done TV3, at least they are creating jobs and not milking the system like RTE

They are asking for redundancies and will play their HD off RTÉ NL's investment into DTT, which I assume created more jobs then TV3's HD studio.

We heard about this before this thread started, I heard about it in early on in the year and it was suggested it would be ready for late 2011. Cogley took up a role in TV3 in July 2010.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4284256&tpl=archnews&force=1

Also what is the technical differences between a normal TV studio and a HD TV studio?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67547927 <<< Actually dated back in 2010, for their 2010 launch, early 2011 building was to being. It must be early 2011 at this stage, Saorview launch in spring of 2011 after all.

Elmo wrote: »
    Also what is the technical differences between a normal TV studio and a HD TV studio?

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Equipment wise you need the same stuff, except everything is HD and more expensive.

Cameras, graphics, routing/switching, ingest, playout servers, metadata, archiving and master control.

Lighting for HD is different.

They will also have to increase their makeup budget for HD. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

More Music wrote: »

They will also have to increase their makeup budget for HD. :D

Don't forget better quality cardboard for sets :D

Irish Times article on TV3's 2010 financial results yesterday. The article indicates their new HD studio will be completed by next July 2012.
    The broadcaster said the completion of Ireland’s first large-scale high-definition (HD) studio in July 2012 at its base in Ballymount, Co Dublin, would help increase this percentage to more than 50 per cent.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1102/1224306911583.html

BTW something I didn't know, from similar articles in the Irish Independent and Examiner - Tullamore Beta Limited is Doughty Hanson's holding company for TV3 and 3e and accounts are filed under that company name.

Slightly OT but related
    TV3 doubles down on HQ lease

TV3 IS TO double the size of its headquarters building at Westgate Business Park in Ballymount, Dublin 24.

Under a new arrangement with its landlord, the Irish Property Unit Trust (IPUT), the station will have the use of more than 6,038 sq m (65,000 sq ft) of offices, production areas and studios. The existing lease TV3 has been restructured as part of the deal and once the adjoining building comes into use, the leases will run for a period of over 15 years. The annual rent roll is understood to be in the order of €350,000, equating to a €56.50 per sq m (€5.25 per sq ft).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0418/1224314872124.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Its already halfway through construction, and is next door BUT ONE to their existing building.

Lets hope they manage to organise better studio acoustics, lighting, chroma-key, make-up, direction, audio quality, etc etc etc..

Their home-produced studio shows are almost unwatchable (by me), too many things about the technical standards annoy me.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

TV3's current picture quality (of output from their own studios) is noticeably inferior to that of RTE1 (which is not available as 'HD') and Standard Definition BBC channels - again how ironic the hype about HD.
    Their newsreaders look like they are made of plastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

But they are not broadcasting in HD??

Plus RTE are subsidised by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

TV3 aren't. Only RTE2 does, on digital.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Trevor Welsh & Aiden Cooney in HD :eek::eek::eek:

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Plus RTE are subsidised by the state.

They have an outstanding loan to IRBC worth over 140,000,000, which has been put on hold, and they do receive some licence fee subvention through the BAI sound and vision fund, they do not support Performing Groups, The Sound and Vision Fund, TG4, Digital TV etc etc. They earn 58million in ad revenue.
    Trevor Welsh & Aiden Cooney in HD

In fairness they have moved on, I think Cooney only does Sport in the morning.

TV3HD is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

I live about 2mins away from the TV3 studio place on the ballymount roundabout, and have always had the worst piece of crap TV3 reception on the rabbit ears, always made me wonder.
    I have UPC cable box so dont matter, but 1 of the tellys in the gaff is just the old aerial. Also it seems tv3 and tg4 on the basic upc cable are crap staticy pap, but the box is fine ofc.

Opps srry bit off topic :P

I live about 2mins away from the TV3 studio place on the ballymount roundabout, and have always had the worst piece of crap TV3 reception on the rabbit ears, always made me wonder.
    I have UPC cable box so dont matter, but 1 of the tellys in the gaff is just the old aerial. Also it seems tv3 and tg4 on the basic upc cable are crap staticy pap, but the box is fine ofc.

Opps srry bit off topic :P

I assume you receive your reception from RTE NL's Kippure site.

TV3 had an 80% - 90% coverage on analogue, have you tried to see what you saorview reception is like for the Irish channels?

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker/coverage-map/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

You can say what you like about their content, but I have massive respect for TV3. They're doing their thing without an array of vastly overpaid presenters, that I as a licence payer don't fund. I also enjoy things like Vincent Browne, Come dine with me Ireland and others.

RTE2's HD offering is hardly ground breaking in either content or picture quality and if stuff like the 6 nations rugby are available on BBC or ITV, this is quite noticeable.

vkid wrote: »
    You can say what you like about their content, but I have massive respect for TV3. They're doing their thing without an array of vastly overpaid presenters, that I as a licence payer don't fund. I also enjoy things like Vincent Browne, Come dine with me Ireland and others.

RTE2's HD offering is hardly ground breaking in either content or picture quality and if stuff like the 6 nations rugby are available on BBC or ITV, this is quite noticeable.

TV3 do get licence Fee funding, indirectly through the sound and vision fund. Titanic was supported by the BAI based on TV3s airing of that programme.

Much of TV3 programming is not ground breaking stuff like Coronation St., Emmerdale etc are available on ITV, this is quite noticeable.

I agree RTÉ overpay presenters. TV3 are subsidised for their business mistakes through a bailout from IBRC a state owned bank.

• Advertisement

Latest information on TV3's HD studio, TV3 press release and article in the Sunday Business Post (Aug 26th)
    TV3 launches its broadest ever schedule

TV3 confirmed the completion of its new HD Studio at its Ballymount Dublin HQ. Scheduled to open before the year end, the studio will provide TV3 with world-class facilities to develop a whole new roster of programming.

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=80202&locID=1.2&pagename=news
    Ad revenue growth for TV3

In the coming weeks, TV3 will announce a naming rights partner for its new, 500 square-foot HD studio. The agreement - believed to be with an electronics company that has interests in television production - is being finalised.

Sunday Business Post

Note the error in the SBP article - 500 sq. ft. HD studio, should be 500 sq. mts I believe.

Advertisement