Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Injectors Leaking - Photos included

• 05-02-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Is fixing this a DIY job or a garage job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭2012 Rio

Hmm what a mess. My first tough would be that it's not "fresh" diesel leaking from the injector pipe. It looks all burnt and black. I would be thinking it might be a result of a dodgy seal betweent the injector and its seat in the cylinder head. On ignition, burning diesel is forced up between the head and the injector and makes the mess.

Try this: wash off the engine with a hot wash and then leave it run for a while. (don't worry, i've been powerwashing engines for years and never had a problem. just give it a good run afterwards to boil off the damp).
    Then check where the mess is eminating from. If it proves to be the injector seating, remove the injector and get a new copper washer for it. Clean any crud from the mating surfaces and check for damage. Fefit it then and tighten t down well and it should be OK.

On the other hand, are you certain it's not just engine oil leaking out of somewhere? It is right beside the filler. Is the oil cap fitting properly as the mess is right under it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Thats not leaking diesel at all. The injector seal(s) have failed and that is a build up of carbon deposits due to escaping combustion gasses from the combustion chamber. A very common problem on Mercedes engines.

That stuff dries hard as a rock and it will almost impossible to remove that injector without breaking it. In many cases the head has to be removed to remove injectors in that state. You can try a really heavy duty oven cleaner as it can help desolve those deposits but either way, its very unlikely to be a DIY job unfortunatly.

Try removing it with the engine hot. Often with jammed up injectors I have found that they eventually work their way out if you try rotating them over and back. Leave a pool of WD-40 around the base overnight.
    Sure you could get an injector from a scrappy as a safeguard while you remove the leaky one in case you damage it.

if all else fails maybe you could make up some type of puller that threads onto the head of the injector and draw it out. Maybe you would have tosacrifice the injector by removing the capnut and weld some threaded bar onto it. Then screw the cap back onto the injector. Then fit over the threaded bar a puller frame made from some boxiron and haul the f*ing thing out.

2012 Rio wrote: »
    Try removing it with the engine hot. Often with jammed up injectors I have found that they eventually work their way out if you try rotating them over and back. Leave a pool of WD-40 around the base overnight.
    Sure you could get an injector from a scrappy as a safeguard while you remove the leaky one in case you damage it.

if all else fails maybe you could make up some type of puller that threads onto the head of the injector and draw it out.

WD40 would have no effect on rock hard carbon deposits, nor will warming up the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

I think I will opt to bring it to a garage.

How much will it cost to fix this mess do you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭Mech1

You will need to start by chipping off as much carbon as possible. Wear goggles and have a vacuum cleaner going to pick up the bits. Keep the oil cap and all other components in place you dont want that stuff getting in anywhere it shouldnt.

Not a nice job, but well possible.

No? So it would call for brute force pulling power then. Making up a pullers for it should draw it out, admittedly the injectormay be destroyed, although you might get away with just replacing the capnut.

I restored a 6 cyl ford engine last year and the injectors were rusted into the head. Some came out with twisting and plenty of WD 40 and some heat but others had to be horsed out with a puller like this.

Tidyweb wrote: »
    I think I will opt to bring it to a garage.

How much will it cost to fix this mess do you think.

Dunno really. Labour maybe 300 and then 250ish for a new injector if needs be. so maybe 500ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

2001 Mercedes C220 with 150K miles.

Probably coming close to not worth fixing.

Is there is chance it is just a 20 euro seal and a quick fix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭Mech1

I have fixed 3 ML's with this fault, didnt lose any injectors or need to remove heads. Just keep picking it away as best you can then twist injector back and forth. It will come out.

• Advertisement

YEah sure the copper washer under the injector is just a €2 job. As NisDoc says, it's getting the damn thing out thats the problem.

Tidyweb wrote: »
    2001 Mercedes C220 with 150K miles.

Probably coming close to not worth fixing.

Is there is chance it is just a 20 euro seal and a quick fix

The seal isn't even anywhere near that expensive, but the likely hours of labour involved and/or damage to injectors is what will make it a very expensive job.

You may get away without stripping head etc with the amount thats on your engine. I did one ML a couple of years ago where 3 of the injectors were leaking and the build up was so bad you actually couldn't even see 2 of the injectors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

When I bought my sprinter I knew it had done this.

There is a pullers that can be got that goes in where the retaining claw goes but on my van the bulkhead was in the way of the sliding hammer.

If you do get it out, clean the bore using a shotgun cleaner and brush. Check the washer seat is not damaged. Also, do not be tempted to over tighten the pissy bolt that holds down the injector.

A lot of the time the leak off pipe is also damaged or gone brittle

Advertisement