Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday times mtb article

• 20-05-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

I believe there was an article in today's sunday times about mountainbiking in Ireland. Anybody have a link to it or give a brief synopsis of it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I believe there was an article in today's sunday times about mountainbiking in Ireland. Anybody have a link to it or give a brief synopsis of it?

Cheers

Hang on. Let me pop down to londis and grab the paper. Oh. I forgot it was one in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

BX 19 wrote: »

Cheers

Hang on. Let me pop down to londis and grab the paper. Oh. I forgot it was one in the morning.

Thanks for that useful post. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

Basically a very short article saying that Coillte were planning to build 11 new MTB Trail Centres in Ireland ..... in the future!

Thanks. Were any locations specified? I presume they took full credit for this initiative. Nothing to do with the fact that the mtb community were crying out for this for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

There's also a two page spread in the Sunday slip in tabloid size supplement, basically it's a feature piece by Heather Graham about MTB in Ireland with a few panels on gear and the official tracks around Ireland.

Three new locations mentioned in the other article are Letterkenny, Slieve Blooms and Dungarvan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

Actually, now that I think of it, I have a brother in law that works for Coillte and he was telling me that the main thing holding up the track in the Slieve Blooms is a pair if Hen Harriers.

Personally I'd think with the current situation vis selling off Coillte, they will be doing everything they can to enhance their appeal to the community and reduce the risk of being privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

Nothing to do with the fact that the mtb community were crying out for this for the last 10 years.

Not sure the "MTB community" really gives a toss about Trail Centres unless they were all of the quality of Ballyhoura! Far more important, IMHO, to sort out the access issues! In theory every time we ride on Coillte lands we are breaking the law!

C3PO wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the fact that the mtb community were crying out for this for the last 10 years.

Not sure the "MTB community" really gives a toss about Trail Centres unless they were all of the quality of Ballyhoura! Far more important, IMHO, to sort out the access issues! In theory every time we ride on Coillte lands we are breaking the law!
    Good point, but there is potential to make more interesting trails like in Scotland and Wales where you havethem graded blue, red, black etc rather than the sanitised procession that is ballyhoura.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

letterkenny and slieve blooms were metioned as locations .only glanced at the article but considering the sleive blooms one has been proposed for years i wouldnt hold my breath. (and dont coilte still have a by-law banning bikers ?)

edit
    Vehicles, cycles, etc.
    9. (1) A person shall not use on Coillte lands any vehicle, cycle, skateboard,
    roller skates or blades, or any similar mode of conveyance, except—
    (a) in such areas,
    (b) on such routes, and
    (c) where applicable, of such engine power or capacity,
    as may be designated.

from
    http://www.coillte.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/pdfs/BYE_Laws_2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Here's a scan of the article...

MOD NOTE: We can't reproduce copyrighted material on Boards.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Personally I'd think with the current situation vis selling off Coillte, they will be doing everything they can to enhance their appeal to the community and reduce the risk of being privatised.

I think Failte Ireland and the tourist board are playing a bigger part in this than Coillte. They are trying to promote Ireland as an "adventure tourism" destination ala New Zealand. Coillte just happen to be the ones that own the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think Failte Ireland and the tourist board are playing a bigger part in this than Coillte. They are trying to promote Ireland as an "adventure tourism" destination ala New Zealand. Coillte just happen to be the ones that own the land.

The standards of trail design and building would want to increase dramatically for trail centres in Ireland to be able to compete with the likes of what they have in Scotland, never mind NZ...

Coillte think that tourists will want to come to Ireland for the trails in Ticknock? :rolleyes: :eek:

They should have a look at a proper trail center system:
    www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Home

Yeah, its a shame, the potential is there but as usual its a case of lions led by donkeys.

Advertisement