Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor USA (2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

leggo wrote: »
    In fairness to the girl, initially I thought she was saying the same. But then I heard her say "PROMISE ME IT'S GOING TO BE ALRIGHT!" So it's possible her mother was just trying to reassure her about the whole thing.

You have to remember, this is a kid who's entire world has been thrown into a tailspin. She's gone from obscurity and possible poverty, to being on national TV every week having her head filled with how she's going to be a big star for weeks, even months, and then she has it all taken away from her in a second.

If she was older, yeah fair enough, she should have braced herself. But you can't have a go at the poor child for feeling like her world had just caved in. It probably felt that way at the time. She'd just gotten used to the limelight and, within 20 minutes, it appeared to be all gone. Give her a break lads.

I totally agree...at that moment in time she probably thought it was all over and her life would go back to the way it was before.

But even in her first audition she was super cocky and probably thought she had it won there and then.

Simon/the producers definitely have to look at the age limit next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I know she's just a kid, and a child's perspective can be pretty skewed (mishaps can seem like the end of the world and such), but throwing herself on the ground, wailing? That's a bit much, even for a thirteen year old. My nephew is thirteen, and I cannot even imagine him getting away with behaviour like that at his age. When I think of Astro and how he was treated for one (fairly valid) comment and he's not that much older than Rachel, it seems a bit f*cked up. He took his elimination well, and got on with it with minimum fuss. And yet we're supposed to feel sorry for this kid? Her behaviour at the end was just cringe.

However, I'm laying the blame with Simon Cowell here. He says that people like Rachel Crow are the reason the age limit was lowered, but it was completely shown up here. She's just far too young and clearly can't deal with the pressure. I don't think people should be blaming Scherzinger. I've never really agreed with the whole idea of judges overruling the public anyway, but she got the lowest votes. If people wanted her in, they should have f*cking voted for her. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This should be a cracking final (way better than UK one anyways) given who the final three are
    Josh, Melanie and Chris Rene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Watching the performances now on Tv3! Have seen Chris, Marcus, Josh and Melanie sing their Pepsi songs so far and then all been a bit ...meh. Melainie's was utterly predictable and the arrangement was very poor. Chris just isn't up to par with the other singers, but he's very organic and heart felt. I much prefer him doing his own songs. Josh was the best of a bad lot in the first round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I hope Josh wins.
    Melanie is starting to grate on me and normally I love that style. Hated the arrangement of Hero. She has a good voice but she's a bit annoying.

Chris - I just don't get it. I don't think he's a good singer. He seems a bit all over the place in terms of what style artist he would be. I'm surprised he made the final tbh.

Josh has an amazing voice. He's a bit scary looking when he sings sometimes but I'd listen to him on the radio. Thought his version of Hallelujah was really good.

I thought the live shows would be really good when I saw the judges houses shows. But overall it's lacked. The right people didn't get picked at the start and the whole show just seems rushed and boring.

Chris is going to win and he should - he's a proper artist who writes his own material and seems to know where he's going as an r n' b artist. True, he's not the best singer, but he's the most authentic of what's left and he's the only true artist there who could actually have a real career in r n' b/hip-hop. He's also hugely likeable - everyone loves a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

A 7 year old can write their own material, it doesn't mean it's any good and it certainly doesn't mean they're entitled to win a show like this.

I'd rather a good solid singer goes on to win the show as opposed to some hack who's gaining a bit of credibility for writing shockingly poor songs.

Astro was 10 times the "artist" Chris Rene was and ever will be.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    A 7 year old can write their own material, it doesn't mean it's any good and it certainly doesn't mean they're entitled to win a show like this.

I'd rather a good solid singer goes on to win the show as opposed to some hack who's gaining a bit of credibility for writing shockingly poor songs.

Astro was 10 times the "artist" Chris Rene was and ever will be.

I agree that Astro was better, but he's gone so it's no longer got anything to do with him. He's obviously going to have a career. We're talking about who is the best of who's left.

I don't think Chris' songs are "shockingly poor", and at least he is writing his own material. I could see that 'Where Do We Go From Here?' song getting radio play. He's only going to get better too.

What sort of artist is that Melanie going to be? A Mariah Carey/Whitney Huston/Celine Dion rip-off? That's how she'll be marketed, in the same way Leona Lewis is. She might be a technically good singer, but she is never going to be a credible artist. Same goes for Josh. He's technically good, but I can't see him selling records. People like those kind of singers until they're released into the real world, and then nobody gives a sh*t about them because they've heard it all before.

Being a good singer isn't all that there is to it. Being a good artist is more than being a good singer, way more. Chris is not the best singer, nobody is denying that, but he does have charisma, likeability, he's writing his own stuff and he's actually marketable. There is something there to work with. He could be easily turned into a pop star. He's rough around the edges, but he could definitely shape up.

The other two are about 20 years too late for their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Chris is going to win and he should - he's a proper artist who writes his own material and seems to know where he's going as an r n' b artist. True, he's not the best singer, but he's the most authentic of what's left and he's the only true artist there who could actually have a real career in r n' b/hip-hop. He's also hugely likeable - everyone loves a comeback.

I cannot stand him. Ugh. And that last song of his he performed was shite. It was the same single lyric repeated over and over.

• Advertisement

I cannot stand him. Ugh. And that last song of his he performed was shite. It was the same single lyric repeated over and over.

What's not likeable about him? He's not arrogant, he knows how lucky he is and he seems pretty grateful. I don't see what's not to like.

Also, I thought the song was pretty good. Simple, but that's never been a bad thing. I could see it getting a lot of radio play.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

What's not likeable about him? He's not arrogant, he knows how lucky he is and he seems pretty grateful. I don't see what's not to like.

Also, I thought the song was pretty good. Simple, but that's never been a bad thing. I could see it getting a lot of radio play.

I don't think he's arrogant but he doesn't have the 'likability' factor for me. As I said before, nothing wrong with the guy per se, just nothing special about him.

If it's R&B you think he'll do then that makes it worse. That genre is not in a good place right now IMO. I think he'll struggle to find a niche. But if he does then fair play. Music certainly isn't just for the best singers/dancer/writers anymore.

Melanie for me will be a typical female power singer. She might surprise people and become as successful as Kelly Clarkson. Hard to know.

Josh has an incredible voice. He can play instruments and write songs as far as I can remember, so if that's what you're judging it on then he trumps Chris. I think he'll do well outside this show. Kinda hope he doesn't win so he might have more say in his direction.

What is? He gives me the creeps, if I'm honest.

Where do we go from here?

My answer: HOME!

What is? He gives me the creeps, if I'm honest.

Why? Cos he's a recovered drug addict? I don't get what you're saying.

My answer: HOME!

Well, that's clever..

I don't get what you're saying.

Why are you trying to analyse it? You don't get what I don't like, and I don't get what you do like. Why not leave it at that :confused:
    Well, that's clever..
    Well I know you're not talking about his song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Steve Jones has reportedly been axed as host of The X Factor USA.

Insiders claim that only a "miracle" will save the Welsh presenter from being dismissed from the Fox contest, a prospect that is said to have "devastated" the 34-year-old.

Read the above on a bank screen this morning and went on the net to later check!

More here: http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/s141/the-x-factor-us/news/a356781/steve-jones-to-be-axed-from-the-x-factor-usa.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I never like to see someone fired. But, then again, I never like Steve Jones when he's on my screen during X Factor. And the latter wins out so good news on balance! :)

Steve Jones has reportedly been axed as host of The X Factor USA.

Insiders claim that only a "miracle" will save the Welsh presenter from being dismissed from the Fox contest, a prospect that is said to have "devastated" the 34-year-old.

Does he honestly, honestly think he did a good job? Honestly? I've never seen someone more stiff, awkward, cringeworthy and just plain bad.

Personally, I'm delighted! :)

Justin Bieber, Pitbull, and Ne-Yo will all perform on Thursday night’s finale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Does he honestly, honestly think he did a good job? Honestly? I've never seen someone more stiff, awkward, cringeworthy and just plain bad.

Personally, I'm delighted! :)

Was well out of his depth I hope Dermot stays on the UK version though.. Enrique would be a good US host I feel I remember he was in the mix.

Nicole has to go too.

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Nicole has to go too.
    I'd say Simon already has her whatever-is-the-US-equivalent-of-a-P45 ready and waiting.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Was well out of his depth I hope Dermot stays on the UK version though.. Enrique would be a good US host I feel I remember he was in the mix.

Nicole has to go too.

I prefer Nicole to Paula myself

Simon wants Kelly Rowland for the US show after her "success" on the UK show :rolleyes::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I prefer Nicole to Paula myself

Simon wants Kelly Rowland for the US show after her "success" on the UK show :rolleyes::confused:

The US audience will love the southern drawl. On the UK version it's just irritating.

She wasn't as bad as Gary in all fairness.

Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morissette and R Kelly
    for the duets - that is a pretty bad line up for duets imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morissette and R Kelly
    for the duets - that is a pretty bad line up for duets imo

Josh is singing one of my all time favourite songs with
    Alanis Morrisette
    - so I'm happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

So what's everyones predictions on who is going to win tonight?

I really really want Chris Rene to win!! Hope he pulls it out of the bag tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Next years X Factor USA will be way better without Steve Jones.

I wonder will the winner be releasing songs in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ugh. What a letdown with the result. Out of the final 6, it's not inconceivable to say she'll sell the least amount of records. But she has a helluva sob story...

The two final shows were great though: Justin Bieber, Stevie F'n Wonder, Ne-Yo, Pitbull, 50 Cent, R Kelly, Alanis Morissette and Avril Lavigne. I loved how they gave Astro, Drew and Marcus the rub in the final too. Plus the little inserts were even entertaining. Just goes to show how well the format works when the talent is there to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Raging!! I actually watch this on TV3 so shouldn't know the result but my curiosity got the better of me!!

Actually so annoyed. When will X Factor become a proper show for picking super stars and not just one song pony's!!!

EDIT: After watching the actual show, oh my god. They ruined poor Chris with that pathetic excuse of a singer, Avril Lavigne. They are not suited as a duet AT ALL. That is what lost it for Chris i'd say, like how could they put HER with him!!

Fix-factor all over again!!

• Advertisement

I didn't watch it (went out and got drunk instead :D), but heard Melanie won. Not that surprising, but not a worthy winner in my opinion. No charisma and a very generic style with no originality whatsoever. Don't see her selling records at all. There's simply nothing there that's remotely resembling star quality. She has a good voice technically, but that's about it, and it's a voice that we hear time and again coming out of these shows. There's no distinctive quality.

The duets sounded terrible too. Chris Rene and Avril Lavigne?? Really? What were they thinking? Those two are not even anywhere approaching the same music style. Could that not have gotten in some r n' b star, or maybe someone like Stevie Wonder who loved his 'Young Homie' song? Would have made more sense. Also, Alanis Morissette and R. Kelly?? Morissette is well passed it, and while R. Kelly has had his moments in the past, I haven't heard decent output from him in years.

This suits Simon Cowell down to the ground though, he wants to be seen as picking the winner of his own show in the first season.

That all said, I think it's obvious that Astro is going to be the true winner from all this. He's a little star.

Advertisement