Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wife's breast cancer ordeal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Nice 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

All going well. Next session is Tuesday. She cant seem to shake that dickey throat though, And little fella has an ear infection now, trying to get the antibiotic into him is like trying to get blood out of a stone :D. You would swear it was poison we were trying to give him:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

JohnnieK wrote: »
    All going well. Next session is Tuesday. She cant seem to shake that dickey throat though, And little fella has an ear infection now, trying to get the antibiotic into him is like trying to get blood out of a stone :D. You would swear it was poison we were trying to give him:D
    It is going around - all of us have had it recently - my daughter has a similar reaction to the antibiotic!

Good luck on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

Thats great news.....

Hope the rest of the treatment goes well

Chin up!!

Just wanted to say hi, hope you and the family are doing ok Johnnie

Thinking of yiz :)

• Advertisement

All I can say is thank God we got the medical card. She is getting some injection tomorrow to boost her immune system and it costs €1000. Jesus, Mary and Joeseph, my jaw dropped when I heard the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

All I can say is thank God we got the medical card. She is getting some injection tomorrow to boost her immune system and it costs €1000. Jesus, Mary and Joeseph, my jaw dropped when I heard the price.
    She wouldn't have had to pay even if she didn't have a medical card. I'm glad everything is going well and keep up the positivity for the future.

Any news ?

A bit of a bad week this week. She had a third cycle last Tuesday week an she was in bits after it. She was Neutropenic after the previous cycle so they gave her some injection for this to help her white blood count.

What's more our little man has an ear infection at the moment and he is really annoyed he had a sleep over in my brothers last Sunday/Monday. I think he knows something is up with his mammy because he is very clingy this week and wakening up during the night.

Other than that all ok. She is doing well

A bit of a bad week this week. She had a third cycle last Tuesday week an she was in bits after it. She was Neutropenic after the previous cycle so they gave her some injection for this to help her white blood count.

What's more our little man has an ear infection at the moment and he is really annoyed he had a sleep over in my brothers last Sunday/Monday. I think he knows something is up with his mammy because he is very clingy this week and wakening up during the night.

Other than that all ok. She is doing well

John keep in there all will be fine.

• Advertisement

How is all

All going well Carpenter. It's become routeen now at this stage. She had the last of the AC last Tuesday week and the next cycle will be the first of the Taxol on the 30th. Once a week for 12 weeks, that will be a bit of a pain regarding hospital appointments every week.

With in the last 6 months or so they have started given Taxol in a milder dose once a week as the side affects where noticeable reduced this way so please God she will sail through it. This first few months have flew in so more of the same please.

All going well Carpenter. It's become routeen now at this stage. She had the last of the AC last Tuesday week and the next cycle will be the first of the Taxol on the 30th. Once a week for 12 weeks, that will be a bit of a pain regarding hospital appointments every week.

With in the last 6 months or so they have started given Taxol in a milder dose once a week as the side affects where noticeable reduced this way so please God she will sail through it. This first few months have flew in so more of the same please.

Fair play I know exactly how you feel but when you look at the % of women that have a long life after BC you will know what I mean by all will be OK

Hows all

She started the first of the Taxol last Monday. That will be for once a week for 12 weeks. So far apart from the fatigue she has no real negative sideffects, and her hair is showing signs of growing back which is a boost for her.
    We are just back from a trip to Kinsale for a couple of days and Kerry where we met up with her family for a communion and she really enjoyed it (so did I nd the kids).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Johnnie I'm glad it's going well and that you've all enjoyed a break. I often think of your wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lucycat

She started the first of the Taxol last Monday. That will be for once a week for 12 weeks. So far apart from the fatigue she has no real negative sideffects, and her hair is showing signs of growing back which is a boost for her.
    We are just back from a trip to Kinsale for a couple of days and Kerry where we met up with her family for a communion and she really enjoyed it (so did I nd the kids).

Hi Johnnie, how are things now? I just came across this thread I'm on the weekly taxol myself at the moment & find it grand, I'm not sick or anything after it. The AC failed for me, I had a desperate reaction to it (nearly bloody killed me) so I'm on carboplatin every three weeks & taxol every week. Just wanted to say that you seem like such a great, supportive husband & if your wife ever wants to chat PM me & I'll give you my email address. Keep the head up, you are doing great :D

Thanks Lucycat
    She is doing fine on the Taxol at the moment but she is a little down. her sister gave birth prematurely to a baby boy last Monday (only 26 weeks) The poor little nipper only lived for a day. As you can imagine we are all upset over this.

I'm a bit all over the place my self at the moment, Upset for my sister in law and worried about my wife. Her blood pressure is high at the moment because of all this too.

This is really the year from hell and I cant wait for it to be over, but in the mean time we will take it by the horns.

I hope you treatment goes well for you from here on in. My wife was grand on the AC. It's amazing how differently it affects people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lucycat

I'm very sorry to hear that Johnnie, it's awful sad. I definitely agree with you on the year from hell, but your wife sounds like she has great support in you & she seems like a strong lady herself, so please god this will only be a bad memory soon.
    I'm off now for my big dose of chemo today so I'll be out of it for a few days, but honestly the offer still stands anytime if your wife wants to have a moan or a whinge about anything, just PM me & I'll send ye on my email address.
    Hope you both feel better soon

Hi all
    she got an appointment from the hospital today for an ultra sound. Is this normal procedure and am i worrying unnecessaraly. Im at work now and have no numbers to ring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi Johnnie, I don't know for sure but I bet it's just normal procedure. Unfortunately you go through hoops with worry at a time like this but please God it's all going perfectly to plan.

How,s all going

Carpenter wrote: »
    How,s all going
    All is going smoothly at the moment apart from everyone being knackered. The ultra sound was a mistake and has been cancelled. It doesn't help that her file has been lost in the hospital.

The Taxol is working well for her. She gets it on a Monday and Thursday is her bad day, so it's easier to arrange things based on that. She has an appointment with radiology next week to get the ball rolling on that.

All is going smoothly at the moment apart from everyone being knackered. The ultra sound was a mistake and has been cancelled. It doesn't help that her file has been lost in the hospital.

The Taxol is working well for her. She gets it on a Monday and Thursday is her bad day, so it's easier to arrange things based on that. She has an appointment with radiology next week to get the ball rolling on that.

Good to hear that and before you know it all will be back to as near normal as possible (Wait and see)the day will come when you will not be thinking about Cancer 24/7

Any updates :D

Hi Carpenter

All is going well. She has only 3 cycles of Taxol left and then a 3 week break before the radium starts. She has started to get pains in her legs (started week before last) and it can be uncomfortable for a day or so and then grand again (weird).

The hair has started growing back again and she's happy about that.

I'm glad it's going well Johnnie.

O.K. Folks. The last of the Chemo sessions is tomorrow. She didn't get one last Monday because we all got struck down with a tummy bug and she was really dehydrated and her pulse was high so they said they would leave it. The Oncologist said there was no need to add it on at the end because on the larger scheme of things she has done great and has not missed one treatment.

Because of this she has been feeling wonderful all week and she said it is a little reminder of how things where before and how they will be again after all the treatment is finished.

Farther in law is taking the kids for a couple of day's so we are going out tomorrow evening for a meal to celebrate the end of the chemo.

Bring on the radiation therapy so we can be shut of this once and for all.:)

great bit of news:) So glad things are going well. Hope you both have a beautiful evening tommorow. You both deserve it so ,so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

That is all great news...
    Enjoy your meal and the time without the kids........!!

Take care

Advertisement