Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

One mile warm up- half mile my sprint/jog, one mile warm down.

3.5 miles comfortably slow.

6.21 miles in 57.57.52. Its a PB but not 'official' Don't know if my little speed sessions has helped towards that one coz it was tough going I ran over four miles of into a strong wind including the last half mile.
    I'm delighted with myself gong to reward myself with a big mug of coffee and a very thick slice of banana bread:D

Have been on the turbo and a four and half mile run this morning- have had another dose on me- hope I'm not going to spend the winter now with one sinus and chest infection after another- so I hadn't got out in a week. Struggled through todays run.

Two more 2.5 mile runs- and half hour sweating on the turbo trainer!

• Advertisement

5k tempo in 27.07, had a very good run- really enjoyed it, got my heart pumping! I seem to be doing 5k and 10k in training that I would be delighted to do in a race setting- I've probably hit my peak after the race season:rolleyes:

7 mile in 1.09.53 Enjoyed the run.

4k in 22mins- I had a little window of time between home from work and kids to bed so just went out and ran!

5k on Friday in around 28 mins and another 5k today a bit slower just under 29 mins. Was able to get out 4 times this week so I'm happy with that.

Another 5k today- wasn't in the mood for it my legs felt heavy and tired.
    Thinking of starting a half marathon plan for the half in Bohermeen in March. Ideally next week would be a perfect start week it would give me two weeks to sort myself out if I tuck into too many selection boxes over Christmas!

• Advertisement

3 more miles. Won't get out for the next few days, Sunday night will be my next chance.

21/11- 3 mile
    23/11- 5 mile

25/11- 5 by 400 metre (well 1/4 mile) I tried to keep it in around 2 mins for each 400 metre but ended up going a bit faster than that and did the 5 in 9.22 mins. I'm sure that when I increase the amounts I'll slow it down!

27/11 3 mile- 26.58mins I felt fine struggled a bit when I went out first it was freezing even though it was the first night i ran with my jacket (a cycling one) then when i got past the 2nd mile I was too warm!!! Going to look for a proper running jacket like the NB one I seen for e20 in TKmaxx a few weeks ago and never got!

First week of the Hal Higdens intermediate half marathon training done, bar one 3 mile- chances are I'm not going to get out for 5 nights so I'll drop the Thursday night 3 mile and make sure that I get the more important days in. I have an extra two weeks in there too before the Bohermeen half at the beginning of March to allow for bad weather and Xmas. I don't know what time to aim for- I think I should go safe and aim for 10 minute miles so 2hr 10 min but I'd love to do it in around 2 hours. We'll see!

30 minute tempo run- peak of it into a very strong wind. Found it hard to keep my pace slow at the beginning but I felt I done ok. I had a couple of hills as well on that route so it made it a bit tougher. Covered 3.30 miles so time wise I probably covered the same distance as I would if I kept a steady pace at that distance so I don't know if that means I should have gone a little faster or if I done it properly:confused:

3.1 miles in 26.32 which is a couple of seconds slower than PB- legs felt really strong- cold got to me a bit again need to invest in something to keep me warm.

6 mile in 55.28- First two in a comfortable 9 min mile. Mile 3 and 4 is where I slowed down and battled into the wind to keep the last two around 9 as well. Enjoyed it and was very tempted to keep going for the .21 of a mile to get an unofficial PB for 10k (but I ended my run on the bottom of a hill!!)

3.5 in 32.18- struggled at the end probably because of the 6 miles yesterday and the mad cleaning buzz I've been on the last two days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

madon wrote: »
    the mad cleaning buzz I've been on the last two days!

Wanna come to my house :p
    Nice running lately, any races lined up?

littlebug wrote: »
    Wanna come to my house :p
    Nice running lately, any races lined up?

You wouldn't want me near your house if you seen the stressed out frenzy I get into while cleaning!
    I feel like I'm running better in the last few weeks, typical I'd hit a high in the winter when theres not many races on! I'll do the Bohermeen half marathon in March but would like something before that. I'd love to get a 10k in before the end of the year- I know I could do a far better time than the last 10k I did but I can't find one thats close by and suits work wise.
    Besides that theres a few local Santa Dash in the area, just for a bit of fun- I'm doing one on Sunday that welcomes pets so I've doctored a reindeer hairband to fit the dog- I wouldn't put as much effort into the kids nativity plays!

3.1 miles in 28.43.
    This week I'm supposed to be running a 5k race but I can't get to one. So I done the 5k tonight. Was a bit slow but I've been having a lot of good days training lately so I'm well overdue a bad day:D

• Advertisement

Went out to do 6 400 metre in 5k pace, In my confusion converting km to miles I ended up doing 8 400 metres. Done in 17 mins.

Done a 3k Santa Dash on Sunday I know these are fun things but i gave it loads:o!!! Jogged 2k back afterwards.
    7 miles this morning in 1.10 hoping to do it around 1.05 but weather conditions slowed me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

madon wrote: »
    Done a 3k Santa Dash on Sunday I know these are fun things but i gave it loads:o!!! .

Must have been quite a sight :D

littlebug wrote: »
    Must have been quite a sight :D

I ran it with the dog as well so I really stood out! I owed it too him to give it a lot of effort- he had been training all year for a race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

You seem to be doing all your runs at PB pace. Stick a recent race time in McMillans pace calculator and compare his suggested pace with what you are doing. It may seem counter-intuitive but you need to run slower to get faster.

You seem to be doing all your runs at PB pace. Stick a recent race time in McMillans pace calculator and compare his suggested pace with what you are doing. It may seem counter-intuitive but you need to run slower to get faster.

I had a look:eek:- I'm running my LSRs at the pace I should be doing intervals:o
    Makes sense though once I think about it- my pace throughout my runs will probably be a bit more consistent if I slow down a bit, I tend to take off too fast and not be able to keep it up! Really appreciate the input meathcountysec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

McMillan gives you a range of pace for each type of run. Ideally you should have a long/slow/run, perhaps a tempo or interval session, 2 runs at easy pace and everything else at recovery pace (presuming 5+ runs per week). Do a tempo one week and an interval session the next week, alternating between them.

As a minimum do the long/slow/run, the tempo/interval and at least one other (easy).

All paces based on an actual race performance not on a pace you want to achieve.

A couple of months like that and you'll see real progress.

All paces based on an actual race performance not on a pace you want to achieve.

I was doing this!
    Haven't got out the past few days between, kids nativity (3nights!) and now two of us struck down with a stomach bug, really disappointed, hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and do a tempo run at Mcmillans suggested pace.

3.5 miles in 35 mins- It was lovely to get back out but my legs were like two blocks and I had a constant pain in my right side that was just simmering on a stitch. I probably could have done with a day of eating properly before I went back out!

• Advertisement

35 minute tempo was todays plan. So I set out intending to run the first 5 mins at 10.30 min mile. When I settled into what I thought was a slow enough pace i looked at my watch I was going at 9.45! Tried slowing this down over the next half mile and discovered that once I got to around 10 min mile I had to shorten my stride to such an extent that it totally adjusted my posture. So I decided to run the next mile in a pace that I found I cpuld run comfortably which seemed to fall between 9.30 and 9.45. By this stage I was 19 minutes into the run so I ran two minutes at 9.30 and four minutes at 9.15 and gradually worked my way back to around 10.30 at the end so it resembled a tempo!

Advertisement