Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Cable Pipe Blocked

• 01-07-2013 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I asked Eircom to install a phone line in my house but the Eircom technician says that the pipe from the junction box to my house is blocked 2 foot in from the junction box in the street. The blue rope for pulling the cable through is still in the pipe but there is no budging it. The technician said to get onto my builder but he is long gone.

Can anyone help in suggesting a way to fix this problem without having to dig up the pavement? My budget is very limited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

kevgavs wrote: »
    I asked Eircom to install a phone line in my house but the Eircom technician says that the pipe from the junction box to my house is blocked 2 foot in from the junction box in the street. The blue rope for pulling the cable through is still in the pipe but there is no budging it. The technician said to get onto my builder but he is long gone.

Can anyone help in suggesting a way to fix this problem without having to dig up the pavement? My budget is very limited.

Is it a thick rope???, what u could do , is try putting some building line ( thinner) one side, and hoover through, it might get in by blockage??.....usually the telecome pipe is heavy enough gauge so its hard to break and block it, would it be a knot or some crap causing it to be stuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Hoover through?? I like it.
    macgyver12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Maybe the technician has no arms, have you tried pulling it yourself or looking at the issue yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kevgavs

I'll give the MacGyver (Tred) solution a shot.

It is a 20mm rope that stretches from the junction box in the street a good 25 meters to the box at my house going under concrete paving and bricked driveway. Yeah, have tried pulling it through myself along with others with no success from both ends.

I've been told to pass a cable reel from both ends to make sure the blockage is where the technician said it was. After that I'd have no option but to get someone to dig it up and fix it for me.

Does anyone know of any other solutions incase the building line doesn't work for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

If you not used to physical work do some light jogging or other exercise to warm up first to avoid pulling a muscle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 JOSHUA07

You could ring the likes of Boyne Waste or a company local to you with a small Jet Vac truck. They would have a half inch jetting tool that would clear it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

This might sound crazy, but bear with me here - you could try pouring water into the pipe at the house end and see if it comes through at the road end. If it doesn't, then either the blockage is solid or the pipe has been crushed/shattered.

FaiIing that, is there enough clearance to get a sewer rod into the pipe from the road end?

It is a 20mm rope that stretches from the junction box in the street a good 25 meters to the box at my house going under concrete paving and bricked driveway. Yeah, have tried pulling it through myself along with others with no success from both ends.

I've been told to pass a cable reel from both ends to make sure the blockage is where the technician said it was. After that I'd have no option but to get someone to dig it up and fix it for me.

Does anyone know of any other solutions incase the building line doesn't work for me?

if u dont feel any suction one end of the pipe, then u know its totally blocked..or crushed.....

how did u get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kevgavs

Turns out the pipe from the house wasn't attached very well to the pipe from the street as they look to have come apart when the trench was backfilled. The rope passing through the pipe was sitting under the weight of the backfill hence the trouble I had. Had to dig up the drive to get to the problem and now have to bridge the gap between the pipes. Won't be using a decorators filler tube like the builders used!! Anyone any suggestions on how to best do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

If you get a bit of Waveney waste pipe
    Cut it down the lenght of what your using.
    Then stretch it over the two pipes and tape it up good and tight
    Might be some snagging when pulling the cable but at least there will be an opening for it. Just make sure the wife is tight on the pipe your covering.

Or else cut a foot out of the pipe an get to straight joiners and replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

go to your builder merchant - there are standard joiners for this type of pipe

as you just need 2ft - then perhaps call in on any local building site to see if you can get and off cut

EDIT : and how the heck will building control or any other certifier ever find this sort of CxxP workmanship !!!!

fclauson wrote: »
    go to your builder merchant - there are standard joiners for this type of pipe

as you just need 2ft - then perhaps call in on any local building site to see if you can get and off cut

EDIT : and how the heck will building control or any other certifier ever find this sort of CxxP workmanship !!!!

Because it should be inspected before its covered up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Warning given

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

<SNIP>

If house starts to move towards road then stop car

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We can leave it at that. Dont feed the trolls as they say.

<SNIP>

At least you took the time to read all the posts.

YE RIGHT.

Mod edit: And have you read my post above.?

Turns out the pipe from the house wasn't attached very well to the pipe from the street as they look to have come apart when the trench was backfilled. The rope passing through the pipe was sitting under the weight of the backfill hence the trouble I had. Had to dig up the drive to get to the problem and now have to bridge the gap between the pipes. Won't be using a decorators filler tube like the builders used!! Anyone any suggestions on how to best do this?

Yeah you can get the joiners for it like said here. Ah good at least u found it. Its not a big problem now to solve. Back fill it nice and handy yourself.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement