Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written letter K

• 19-02-2012 10:16am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭

May daughter is being taught to write the letter k in it's old form (like an R with the tail out the top)

All the work books, reading material, computers fonts (with exception to some Lucida fonts) all use the common 'k'

Even when the workbooks show 'k' to be reproduced if my daughter does it (as the book asks) the teacher marks it incorrect, and makes her re-do it.

Is it just me, or is this just a teachers personal choice, one that is just confusing kids for the sake of it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I presume that teacher is moving towards a cursive script. Children are now learning cursive in junior infants in many schools and it doesn't cause any issue with reading

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

And what is the benefit of this in this manner, they do cursive (joined) writing in their joined writing copy book, to mix and match scripts like is being done is surely counter productive

Still, why should a child be told they are wrong for doing exactly what is asked of them in their workbook?

I hasn't caused any issue with reading, but, it hasn't been explained in any way why they are doing it, why there are different scripts, or that they should use that particular script in a workbook that asks them to repeat the letter (where is shows them a normal k)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

DGOBS wrote: »

All the work books, reading material, computers fonts (with exception to some Lucida fonts) all use the common 'k'

But people don't write like the way computers type.

Let the teacher teach dude!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

(where is shows them a normal k)

A "normal" k to me, is this:
    bluewolf wrote: »

• Advertisement

if that is the normal k on the link, how come none of the workbooks use it, it's not in the phonics, or the readers, or the writing workbooks

My issue is, if a work book ask you to repeat the letter 'k' 5 times, and thats what you do, isn't it wrong for the teacher to mark what you have done as incorrect as 'they' want it in cursive script (and didn't tell the child that either) if not, should the workbook not have the example in the same script?

'Dude' I do let the teacher teach, but as all teachers promote teaching at home, which I do and take very seriously, don't tell me on the otherhand I shouldn't question and have an opinion on what and how things are being taught, especially when my child has been confused by why this work was marked as incorrect 'I did as I asked' she said, and she was correct. Should the teacher not have explained this to her? (teach her) or at least give clear instructions on what is required

if that is the normal k on the link, how come none of the workbooks use it, it's not in the phonics, or the readers, or the writing workbooks

My issue is, if a work book ask you to repeat the letter 'k' 5 times, and thats what you do, isn't it wrong for the teacher to mark what you have done as incorrect as 'they' want it in cursive script (and didn't tell the child that either) if not, should the workbook not have the example in the same script?

'Dude' I do let the teacher teach, but as all teachers promote teaching at home, which I do and take very seriously, don't tell me on the otherhand I shouldn't question and have an opinion on what and how things are being taught, especially when my child has been confused by why this work was marked as incorrect 'I did as I asked' she said, and she was correct. Should the teacher not have explained this to her? (teach her) or at least give clear instructions on what is required

But she did get clear instructions on what is required :confused:

She is being taught:
    When the letter k is printed in the workbook you need to write it like an R with a tail at the top.

I fail to see what you or your daugter are not clear about.

I am and she is unclear as this was not told to them, if thats what is needed fine, shouldn't the workbooks not reference this also? as they have just spent the bones of the last 2 years learning it as 'k' from phonics books etc.

I spent the last hour or so going through it with her, explaining it, practicing it etc, but just felt a lack of continuity from both the teacher and the work materials, hence I came here to query it (feel a little bit like Bruno standing before the pope though)

I am and she is unclear as this was not told to them, if thats what is needed fine, shouldn't the workbooks not reference this also? as they have just spent the bones of the last 2 years learning it as 'k' from phonics books etc.

I spent the last hour or so going through it with her, explaining it, practicing it etc, but just felt a lack of continuity from both the teacher and the work materials, hence I came here to query it (feel a little bit like Bruno standing before the pope though)

The continuity is that she is learning to write in steps. She used to write them one way, she is moving towards script/"joined up" writing and hence has to write it differently.

There will be lots of other letter she will be writing over the next months/years I am sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

amdublin wrote: »
    But she did get clear instructions on what is required :confused:

No she didn't, if she did then she would have done what the teacher wanted.
    That is basically the definition of clear instructions, that the child fully understands what they have to do.

Fair enough the child may not have understood what the teacher thought were clear instructions, this happens all the time but when teh teacher corrects they should realise this and try to explain fully to the child, and even look at their own original explanation and instruction and try and see why the child didn't pick up on what the teacher wanted.

If I saw in a workbook to reapeat a character I would be doing my best to reapeat it as it is printed, these are young children you can't expect them to interpret that 'ok at the moment we are starting to cover script in class that must mean that I have to write a script 'k' not a printed one as is given'.

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    No she didn't, if she did then she would have done what the teacher wanted.

Seems clear to me:
    May daughter is being taught to write the letter k in it's old form (like an R with the tail out the top)

a) your not 6 (or is that an assumption on my part)
    b) your mind is closed, as your not even trying to acknowledge the problem I am explaining

a) your not 6 (or is that an assumption on my part)
    b) your mind is closed, as your not even trying to acknowledge the problem I am explaining

Okay I am sorry! What is there not to understand!

From what you have said in your post my understanding is: although the letter is printed as "k" your daughter needs to write it as an R with a tail on top (there is a demo in a post above)

This is to help your daughter to progress to joined up writing.

Do you want your daughter to remain printing k's for the rest of her life :confused:
    Why are you finding it difficult to explain to your daughter when she sees k she needs to write it as a k with the tail etc?

What is there not to understand. IMO you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

The whole point is explanation

I have had no trouble explaining why the teacher 'incorrectly IMHO' marked her work wrong without bothering to see if the child understood at all

The child done exactly as the workbook suggested

Mountains and molehills, maybe, but have you ever heard the expression 'even the ears have walls'

I teach adults, and if they got an exercise wrong through my lack of explanation I would hardly blame them would I, no, because I wouldn't get away with it, whereas a 6 year old hasn't that confidence or ability to debate an issue with a teacher

As for it being a process leading to joined writing, they already have a copybook for joined writing sentences, so no need to do this, in fact the work was futile as they are already doing dictation!

The whole point is explanation

I have had no trouble explaining why the teacher 'incorrectly IMHO' marked her work wrong without bothering to see if the child understood at all

The child done exactly as the workbook suggested

Mountains and molehills, maybe, but have you ever heard the expression 'even the ears have walls'

I teach adults, and if they got an exercise wrong through my lack of explanation I would hardly blame them would I, no, because I wouldn't get away with it, whereas a 6 year old hasn't that confidence or ability to debate an issue with a teacher

As for it being a process leading to joined writing, they already have a copybook for joined writing sentences, so no need to do this, in fact the work was futile as they are already doing dictation!

Okay so you've now explained to your child that the teacher wants her to do the other k's. So problem solved?!

I've never heard the saying "even the ears have walls".
    I've heard the saying "the walls have ears". For example, "be careful the walls have ears" meaning: be careful what you say, people are listening/you might be overheard.
    You might explain what you mean please?

The reverse situation, ie, you haven't been following what I am saying...your ears have walls

Yes the problem has been solved by me, I originally queried into why this was done by the teacher and was there any reason for it before I did anything to undermine her, to the answer, dude, let the teacher teach, not really a forward thinking combined teacher/parent approach to education

The reverse situation, ie, you haven't been following what I am saying...your ears have walls

Yes the problem has been solved by me, I originally queried into why this was done by the teacher and was there any reason for it before I did anything to undermine her, to the answer, dude, let the teacher teach, not really a forward thinking combined teacher/parent approach to education

Imo combined teaching is practising what the teacher taught during the day. The teacher had marked your daughter wrong and told her she needed to do her k's a different way.

I've never heard that exprrssion before. I googled it but it seems not to exist lol! But i take on board what you are trying to say. I'm sorry you think i'm closed but i'm genuinely finding it hard to understand that you cannot just continue the teachers instructions at home.

Advertisement