Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone 4s or Galaxy SIII

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Ken bryan wrote: »
    The experia S is good phone . But due to its size and processor it only lasts about a day .
    The Samsung is the best phone you can buy .
    But quad core will use alot o power as will the such a large display.
    The best phone for battery life is the experia ray . It small . Like nokia size . Hence the great battery life .
    But these hq displays are gluttens for power. As are their High power processors .

I have Just Bought the Experia p on 3 on tue .
    i like the aluminum body . It has a quality feel to it .
    I dont like the plastics that Htc and Samsung use .
    Also the p will be getting a Dock so you can surf the web on your tv using you phone connection .
    Their has been seems to be a small issue with the attenna
    The bar goes from 3 to 1 3 g reception depending on how you hold the phone . .
    After googling it . It seems to be normal for 3 G phones .
    But hoplfuly we will hear more from Sony soon on this issue .

Looks like a nice phone, Ken, best of luck with it. Had you rooted your previous SE handset, and/or applied custom ROM's? If so, how easy/difficult did you find this to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Ken bryan

plys wrote: »
    Looks like a nice phone, Ken, best of luck with it. Had you rooted your previous SE handset, and/or applied custom ROM's? If so, how easy/difficult did you find this to do?

Thanks .
    Sorry No I had not rooted my previous handset.
    it just was a cheap Nokia . Great phone but basic .
    I was going to Get an I phone but this was cheaper .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I've had all three Samsung Galaxy phones. The original was the ONLY one that had any lag for me. The S2 was extremely slick and the S3 is another improvement again. If you aren't very tech oriented or want a phone that will need little customising, an iPhone will give you that. However, I still think that the Galaxy S2 is superior to the iPhone 4s so I wouldn't even dream of choosing a 4s over an S3.

If you can wait, then wait and see the specs on the iPhone 5. Otherwise, you can't really look past the S3. It's also worth noting the premium you will pay for that little Apple logo on the back of your phone. iPhone 4s is still more expensive on a lot of plans than the S3, madness but the flock will continue to be lead blind.

So, OP, have you come to any conclusions yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Curly Watts

Yeah picked up the SG3 today, love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭username84

Hey OP what made the decision for you?

I have the SAME decision to make - right now I'm hedging towards the S111, but I really like the idea of an iphone - EVERYONE has them, they must be good!!!!

username84 wrote: »

I have the SAME decision to make - right now I'm hedging towards the S111, but I really like the idea of an iphone - EVERYONE has them, they must be good!!!!

It's a fashion. It's thoughts like that, "Oh everyone has them, they must be the best", why Apple sells so many units and price them so high. It's like Dre Beats headphones. Not the best you can get for the money yet the man on the street will think they're the best headphones money can buy; far from it. It helps to do a bit of research like you've done! I've had all the phones in the Galaxy series. I wouldn't have swapped any of them for the equivalent generation iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭username84

dorgasm wrote: »
    username84 wrote: »

It's a fashion. It's thoughts like that, "Oh everyone has them, they must be the best", why Apple sells so many units and price them so high. It's like Dre Beats headphones. Not the best you can get for the money yet the man on the street will think they're the best headphones money can buy; far from it. It helps to do a bit of research like you've done! I've had all the phones in the Galaxy series. I wouldn't have swapped any of them for the equivalent generation iPhone.
    The for for that!

Is there anyway not having an iphone puts you at a disadvantage? The only downside I can see to not getting the Galaxy at the moment is that I can't get the Unslim app! (I've lost 5 stone with them and I'm one of the 'inspirational stories' on the app) but honestly, 1st world problems!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Recently got S2. Love it. Can plug in to playstation 3 and take downloaded films from the phone easy. Can't do that with iphone. Bigger screen than iphone. Im extremely happy with S2, don't see the need to fork out more money for S3, plus the extra new features are things that id never use. The screen is just a little too big for me. The screen size of the S2 is perfect. I didn't want iphone purely because everyone has them, and you can't easily take downloaded stuff off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Yeah I'd do what someone else suggested and go to a shop and ask for a demo on both phones. Then you can decide which suits you more, and you won't end up wasting €500-€600 on a phone that you may wish you hadn't gotten. I think some people are just going to recommend whichever phone they have regardless of whether they've tried both. And some people prefer android, some iOS. You won't know which you prefer unless you try both, so I think trying before you buy is the best decision. It also depends what you want in a phone.

• Advertisement

Functionality on the Samsung is top notch.. When I wanted to get all my girlfriend's music on a bus, I created a wifi network, started an ftp server, joined it using her phone and transferred the music at a healthy 7mb/s. Simple and destroys bluetooth. Maybe a jailbroken iPhone can do it but it's effortless with Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I am amused that android fans continue to talk about "sheep" for Apple when Anazon is in the lead and generally bought by people who don't care about their phones.

My 2 cents: iOS is a far superior OS.

It's a polished OS but incredibly boring after so many years.. Just nothing exciting whatsoever.

I am amused that android fans continue to talk about "sheep" for Apple when Anazon is in the lead and generally bought by people who don't care about their phones.

My 2 cents: iOS is a far superior OS.

It's in the lead because most manufacturers support it. Not everyone can afford the ludicrous price for an iPhone, especially when they can get something that does an adequate job for a normal user for half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I have had an iPhone since the 3G. I use the phone for everything: web, email, books, games, sat nav, twitter, instagram, synced calendars, synced to dos. The s3 I have seen is at least the equal in everything and superior in the crucial area of screen size. Even the iPhone 5 is rumored to only go to .5 of an inch longer. Apple no longer understand that people use these phones very differently and need screens to be larger. They seem to believe that Jobs knows best what we want. What actually works is choice. I will look at the 5 when it appears but if the screen is only what's rumored then goodbye Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

LoYL wrote: »
    I have had an iPhone since the 3G. I use the phone for everything: web, email, books, games, sat nav, twitter, instagram, synced calendars, synced to dos. The s3 I have seen is at least the equal in everything and superior in the crucial area of screen size. Even the iPhone 5 is rumored to only go to .5 of an inch longer. Apple no longer understand that people use these phones very differently and need screens to be larger. They seem to believe that Jobs knows best what we want. What actually works is choice. I will look at the 5 when it appears but if the screen is only what's rumored then goodbye Apple.

I guess that's why the 4S is the best selling smartphone. :eek:

For any one person that wants a 4.3+ inch screen there are 10 that don't. ;)

Or else for everybody who wants a better phone, there's 10 more who just want a little Apple badge on the back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Or else for everybody who wants a better phone, there's 10 more who just want a little Apple badge on the back :rolleyes:
    I don't think that's true. There's not really such thing as brand loyalty if people aren't happy with their product.
    I personally don't want the new iPhone to have a much bigger screen. I was quite happy with the size of the 4S.

I have used iOS and android now and I really prefer iOS. It does a lot of simple things so much better in my opinion at least, from viewing calls lists to texting and just the overall menu.

That being said I'm not perfectly happy with Apple either. They annoy the hell out of me by not including some standard feature other phone have had for so long now. They are money hungry with their attitude towards allowing micro SD cards and the price they charge for and extra 16GB of memory is extortion.

I still don't like android enough to stick with them though, and due to the emobile offer I'll soon have an S3 so maybe I'll change my opinions with that seeing as the android I have right now is fairly modest to be fair.
    If not I'll be picking up an iPhone 5 in October more than likely.

Seriously, get the S2 instead of any iphone... So many of my friends ended up hating Apple's BS when it comes to file management and now love Android. I can't even imagine trying to go back to the backgarden that IOS lives in after being able to roam around Android so freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Had both, infinitely prefer Android to iOS and Samsung products to Apple. Sister has a 4S and I can't see how it even touches the SIII in terms of performance or even looks. If you're prepared to wait, I'd say you'd be more fairly comparing the SIII to the 5.

Frankly I think the iPhones are overpriced and oversimplified compared to their Android-running brethren. You're paying an extra €100 for a brand and the knowledge Apple will tell you exactly what you want from a phone as opposed to letting you do that yourself.

• Advertisement

Had both, infinitely prefer Android to iOS and Samsung products to Apple. Sister has a 4S and I can't see how it even touches the SIII in terms of performance or even looks. If you're prepared to wait, I'd say you'd be more fairly comparing the SIII to the 5.

Frankly I think the iPhones are overpriced and oversimplified compared to their Android-running brethren. You're paying an extra €100 for a brand and the knowledge Apple will tell you exactly what you want from a phone as opposed to letting you do that yourself.
    Over simplified?
    You mean it's a negative that they're so easy to use?

Over simplified?

He means you can't do as much with them. Android offers advanced users a lot more for their money. Apple is geared towards someone who has never had a smart phone before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Price for the iPhone 4s and S3 are almost identical on amazon and most Irish provider websites on prepay/sim free. Also all the android users seem to avoid all mention of the jailbreak word which allows you customise the iPhone to their hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Over simplified?
    He means you can't do as much with them. Android offers advanced users a lot more for their money. Apple is geared towards someone who has never had a smart phone before.

Basically what he said. If you're coming off iOS and into Android (I went from a 3GS to an SGS) it takes a little while to get used to but you really can do so much more with it, even unrooted, in comparison. I don't know how ICS compares to the latest version of iOS (haven't used my sister's phone recently) but compared to Gingerbread it's a lot more new-user friendly. I just don't see why, once you get over the initial learning curve you'd ever even consider going back.

Can people give me some examples of what they do with their androids that is not possible with an iPhone.
    I think saying that iPhones being geared towards people who've never used a smart phone before is a bit ridiculous.

As Ive pointed out before, creating a private wpa wifi network using the phone and setting up an ftp server allowing anyone else to join it and share files. Try sharing your iphone music.
    Or just the simple fact that you can have about 10 different shells with really useful and beautiful homescreens..
    Or copying any video file onto the phone and it playing out of the box.

Android is like the grownup phone for people who want better functionality with low cost over a brand image. None of my 25yrs+ friends have iphones.. They've had them before and have moved on.

Can people give me some examples of what they do with their androids that is not possible with an iPhone.
    I think saying that iPhones being geared towards people who've never used a smart phone before is a bit ridiculous.

Saw this over on another thread and just had to share it. Have not got anywhere near using any of this functionality/connectivity, but it is a good demonstration of what can be done with an android that is not possible with an iPhone [EDIT: AFAIK - correct me if I'm wrong..]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

Original post is here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I am much more practical when it comes to these things. I moved from a 3gs to a samsung nexus s about 2 years ago and got a SIII last week.

What puts these ahead for me are three things. small things, I suppose, but massive to me.

1. Maps. I travel a fair bit and use the maps function alot. basically you find a restaurant you like in france and press navigate. It brings you to the door. The gps function is brilliant. I'm sure you can pay for this on a 4s, but its free on the samsung. I use it nearly daily, never get lost - basically its a free garmin.

2. Personal hotspot - I have an ipad, not a 3g one. not a problem, just turn on the personal hotspot and off I go. Particularly brilliant when abroad (making sure I keep within 50mb a day with VF)

3. Back ups - I have my own business and I backup my server on a weekly basis on my phone. I am not the most IT savvy person in the world, but I just plug it in, press backup, and dump the info on my phone. Same with music, movies and anything else. A small thing but great for me.

Until those three things are on Apple, I'm not on an apple phone. As you can see I have an Ipad and they are utterly amazing - a total game changer. But I have different needs for a mobile phone and Apple cannot meet them....

my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

The other thing about the SIII,

very quick phone, but not seeing any huge leaps (I know these are hard) over my nexus s. speed wise yes, but the additions they are advertising are mostly gimmicks in my opinion.

Yes its large, but really thats a non issue, its very very slim and light.

Battery life still problematic, but thats something we all live with i suppose.

• Advertisement

I am much more practical when it comes to these things. I moved from a 3gs to a samsung nexus s about 2 years ago and got a SIII last week.

What puts these ahead for me are three things. small things, I suppose, but massive to me.

1. Maps. I travel a fair bit and use the maps function alot. basically you find a restaurant you like in france and press navigate. It brings you to the door. The gps function is brilliant. I'm sure you can pay for this on a 4s, but its free on the samsung. I use it nearly daily, never get lost - basically its a free garmin.

2. Personal hotspot - I have an ipad, not a 3g one. not a problem, just turn on the personal hotspot and off I go. Particularly brilliant when abroad (making sure I keep within 50mb a day with VF)

3. Back ups - I have my own business and I backup my server on a weekly basis on my phone. I am not the most IT savvy person in the world, but I just plug it in, press backup, and dump the info on my phone. Same with music, movies and anything else. A small thing but great for me.

Until those three things are on Apple, I'm not on an apple phone. As you can see I have an Ipad and they are utterly amazing - a total game changer. But I have different needs for a mobile phone and Apple cannot meet them....

my two cents.
    This first 2 I could do on my 4S and I never tried the third option so I'm nt sure.

Hmmmm, that video of a guy playing N64 games is quite...nice!
    I might have to reevaluate here.

Advertisement