Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

To those who got 2.1s, 1.1s in BY1101...

How long and how detailed were your essays? Say if you were writing an essay on the "Experiments that helped define the chemical nature of the gene" did you you give the years of the experiments and all the names of the scientists involved or did you just describe the experiments and their significance and leave it at that?

Ah I remember doing that question! Years no, have decades maybe. Names yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ah I remember doing that question! Years no, have decades maybe. Names yes.
    How about essay length? I know quality over quantity but as a guideline, how long would you say an essay should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

How about essay length? I know quality over quantity but as a guideline, how long would you say an essay should be?

We were told something in the region of 3-4 pages with at least one diagram. Depends on writing and quality though. Waffling will cost you.

We were told something in the region of 3-4 pages with at least one diagram. Depends on writing and quality though. Waffling will cost you.
    Fair enough. Thanks.

Fair enough. Thanks.
    Lovely essays yesterday. Chemistry of life had Ecosystems to Molecules and Microbio had a question on Herpes structure/replication.

I ended up writing eight pages for O'Neill with a few diagrams of cells and organelles, membrane transporters, a diagram of F0F1 ATP Synthase and a pyramid to show the hierarchy of levels of study. Had to stop myself at that point as I was running out of time.

Four pages on herpes structure and replication too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I hope Foster asks us Herpes, I'm not sure I'm up to answering a question on influenza or bacteriaphages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wut

Anyone hoping to do Micro next year?

I genuinely don't understand how they set questions for the metabolism paper. The lecturer who does the majority of the course gets one question on a topic there wasn't much emphasis on, whereas the one who only did three lectures got the majority of the questions?
    I know I shot myself in the foot for question spotting, but I still think there's something wrong with an exam where you can learn so much of the course but can't answer two full question. I might as well have done nothing for the past month.

Lawliet wrote: »
    I genuinely don't understand how they set questions for the metabolism paper. The lecturer who does the majority of the course gets one question on a topic there wasn't much emphasis on, whereas the one who only did three lectures got the majority of the questions?
    I know I shot myself in the foot for question spotting, but I still think there's something wrong with an exam where you can learn so much of the course but can't answer two full question. I might as well have done nothing for the past month.

Yeah last year they made a big hoo-hah about one bit of the course (I think it was glycolysis) and then it didn't come up at all.

I definitely learnt my lesson for third year, better to know enough to vaguely talk about everything rather than be able to go into detail on a limited amount of subjects.

Yeah last year they made a big hoo-hah about one bit of the course (I think it was glycolysis) and then it didn't come up at all.
    They did the exact same this year; we had a pre-exam tutorial were a certain lecturer when on about glycolysis, and said a bit about glucneogensis,and the TCA cycle. But there wasn't a hint of carbohydrate question on that paper. Should have studied lipids, loads of questions on that...

• Advertisement

I was going to do Q5 since it pretty much came up the same the last two years but thought it'd be better to just focus on Carbs. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 planck

Any hints/tips/advice on what to do for tomorrow's first year physics paper 2? :P

Also, is it just me or is the following page down?

https://www.tcd.ie/Physics/People/Werner.Blau/lecturenotes/index.html

If anyone's got those notes saved and could send them to me I'd be very appreciative.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Just a note to the SF scientists, IMO and the opinion of others, the SF exams are much worse than JS, so chin up! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Jammyc wrote: »
    Just a note to the SF scientists, IMO and the opinion of others, the SF exams are much worse than JS, so chin up! Good luck!

Thanks! I'm delighted to read that, as I'm finding these exams a massive step-up from last year. I was beginning to wonder would I be able for next year at all :)

Morgase wrote: »
    Thanks! I'm delighted to read that, as I'm finding these exams a massive step-up from last year.
    Tell me about, I did nothing last year and found the papers so much easier than this years exams that I spent six weeks studying for. I'll be delighted if I just pass everything.

Jammyc wrote: »

Really? I'd agree with regards to Chemistry, but the biology exams last year weren't as hard as this years exams IMO. It might be that I had more time to study last year, but I thought this year was really tough.

That said, I don't want to scare anyone in SF, and it is a whole lot easier to study once you're in a moderatorship because you're interested in far more of the content than in previous years where you're obliged to do some subjects that don't suit you. But this year was a real reality check for me. I've got to knuckle down next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

In the hopes that there are some sophister geneticists reading this thread, are there any recommendations for books used a lot in the sophister years? A Campbell&Reece for geneticists, if you will!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Morgase wrote: »
    In the hopes that there are some sophister geneticists reading this thread, are there any recommendations for books used a lot in the sophister years? A Campbell&Reece for geneticists, if you will!

Introduction to genetic analysis and molecular biology of the gene are the main two I used, but for the most part you learn from lecture notes and papers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 1sparkey

I have been offered a place as a mature student on TR071 for this september and I was wondering what the contact hours are, from the website I gather the average is 24 hours per week, is this true . I will probably be choosing bio 1 and 2 , geography 1 and 2 , geology and math methods, I wanted to stay clear of physics and chemistry as I plan to do zoology. Would this be possible , any info would be greatly recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

1sparkey wrote: »
    I have been offered a place as a mature student on TR071 for this september and I was wondering what the contact hours are, from the website I gather the average is 24 hours per week, is this true . I will probably be choosing bio 1 and 2 , geography 1 and 2 and geology , I wanted to stay clear of physics and chemistry as I plan to do zoology. Would this be possible , any info would be greatly recieved.

Hours are around 20-24 per week. You can do that combination but, unless it changes from this year, you'd have to do another module in the 1st semester (most do Maths Methods). You can steer clear of Physics and Chemistry easily

Thanks for that , I meant to put in maths methods. Is it 20 to 24 hours including labs or are they on top . That seems very low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Thanks for that , I meant to put in maths methods. Is it 20 to 24 hours including labs or are they on top . That seems very low

It depends on the week. With labs it's closer to 24, but some weeks you won't have tutorials/labs/some lectures so it becomes closer to 20.

I wanted to stay clear of physics and chemistry as I plan to do zoology. Would this be possible , any info would be greatly recieved.
    You can leave out chemistry, but it really limits your choice of moderatorships. A lot of people that go into the course wanting a particular moderatorship end up changing their minds. Just for your own sake it makes sense to have the first year prerequisites for all the biology choices. You can drop chemistry and do geography and/or geology in second year no problem.

That sounds good , I honestly thought it would be 30+ hours, have you any info on the geography and geology , (is there labs for these subjects) also I believe the geology is physics based. At the moment its a toss up between chemistry, geography and geology because I dont need them , from what I gather geography and geology would be the easier option , what would you say

Hi lawliet, I dont think Ill be changing my mind plus whatever course I choose I dont think Ill need chemistry. I think its only really for the genetics and chemistry route, my top choices would be zoology, physiology, func biology, environmental sciences , I would not need it for any of these

• Advertisement

Thats great, thanks for that

Advertisement