Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paragliding Lessons

• 15-05-2009 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Myself and a few friends were out kayaking in Laytown last week when a few guys on motorised Paragliders were doing their stuff - looked amazing!
    By the time we played in the surf and got into shore they had packed up and left so I didn't get a chance to find out more.
    I've been looking on the web for any schools/ clubs in Ireland - can't find any!
    Does anyone here know of anywhere in Ireland that I can learn to Paraglide??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

think there is a club who operate from mt.leinster in co. wexford/carlow. as for the rest of ireland. has google thrown up anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

No, google and Yahoo came up empty.
    The only schools I can find are in the UK or in Spain.
    I was hoping someone here ay be a part of a club/ school to direct me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Steve.N wrote: »
    No, google and Yahoo came up empty.
    The only schools I can find are in the UK or in Spain.
    I was hoping someone here ay be a part of a club/ school to direct me :rolleyes:

Try http://www.midlandparagliding.com/index.html

Forgot to add I trained with them a few ago and would recommend them. Its difficult train over here as the weather is sh!te. However if you going to train in Ireland I would suggest you go with these guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Odysseus wrote: »
    Forgot to add I trained with them a few ago and would recommend them. Its difficult train over here as the weather is sh!te. However if you going to train in Ireland I would suggest you go with these guy.

did you qualify or whatever it is called in the paragliding world? as a skydiver id love to get into paragliding too

• Advertisement

No I didn't make all the days. Your basically on call waiting for a call in relation to the weather. I find that difficult to do. As a skydiver you will now how the weather can effect your training. When I have more time I will go back. I done afew jumps, and have 3 days training on a glider as well as the paragliding. Never qualified in any of them but would like to more into.

roughly how much wouldit cost to go from no experience t beibg able to go up on your own?

Its a few years since I done it, but I think you can fly after you complete the Elementary pilot course that is now e975. That is not taking into account any kit that would be needed, I can't remember if there is a rental option after the course. During the course all kit is supplied.

When you say up on your own, do you mean flying by yourself or flying unsupervised? They don't use tandems in training so in one way you up by yourself from day one. Radios are used from training in a similar way to parachuting.

When you say up on your own, do you mean flying by yourself or flying unsupervised? They don't use tandems in training so in one way you up by yourself from day one. Radios are used from training in a similar way to parachuting.

by up on my own i mean being able to go out whenever the weather is good enough and not have to worry about organising any coaching or instructing, just going to have fun really and also good enough to make it worth while to buy gear i suppose but those two levels im sure are different

AFAIR anyone can just buy a kit, though that organisation won't sell them to just anyone. With saying that it would be easy enough to get hold off, a tad dogey if you pick the wrong rig. I think you were qualified to fly alone after the elementary pilots course, but they recommended that you joined the club and sough further training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Thanks for the link - very informative!!

I trained in skydiving in Scotland (where I originally come from), it was a hard year as I was up and down from the school trying to get a jump as the weather is so unpredictable there as in Ireland.
    I was considering doing a holiday in Spain which is a weeks solid para-gliding - thought it would be better as at least the weather would be pretty constant.
    But I wanted to join a club so as to learn more - does anyone know anywhere in Meath/Kildare or even further north??

Steve.N wrote: »
    Thanks for the link - very informative!!

I trained in skydiving in Scotland (where I originally come from), it was a hard year as I was up and down from the school trying to get a jump as the weather is so unpredictable there as in Ireland.
    I was considering doing a holiday in Spain which is a weeks solid para-gliding - thought it would be better as at least the weather would be pretty constant.
    But I wanted to join a club so as to learn more - does anyone know anywhere in Meath/Kildare or even further north??

I'm in Louth and I remember a guy just north of the boder being suggested to me at the time. Jerry at Midlands would have the details, and very helpful with stuff like that. However, its more than likely the same distance for you if not a little further.

Advertisement