Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 weeks to get a flat stomach.. Can I do it?

• 11-01-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

For the last 10 months or so I have been training in the gym for 3 times a week (have been going 4 times for the last 2 months).

Ive wanted to gain muscle mass and bulk up.. Anyway I have gained a bit in size and will continue to try and gain more. However I am going on holiday to South Africa in 6 weeks time so from then till now I wanted to concentrate on reducing body fat and especially aiming for a flat stomach. I have a bit of excess body fat (dont know the percentage though) and it looks pretty noticeable around my stomach.

So I was thinking of 4 times a week doing 20 minutes of weight training followed by 30 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of ab work.

Could I realistically get a flat stomach in 6 weeks or would it take longer?

Any recomendations on what would be the best cardio workout??

Also a typical day of eating for me at the moment would be:

Breakfast: 3 Scrambled Eggs or a Bowl of Porridge
    Mid Morning: Smothie(made at home) Strawberrys, Bananas, Frozen Yogurt, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Protein Powder
    Lunch: Brown Bread, Eggs, Tomatoe, Turkey Breast and a half pint of milk
    Afternoon: Smoothie(same as mid morning)
    Post Workout: RAM and 2 bananas
    Evening Meal: Pint of milk, Chicken Breasts, Brown Rice, Carrots, Broccoli.

Should I cut out anything from that diet or add anything.

Thanks for reading this and Id really appreciate any advice you could give me.

Cheers

Gazzer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cadrach

That's a lot of bananas when you consider you have porridge for breakfast and rice with your dinner. Looks like a healthy diet, and you might meet your goals in 6 weeks (I don't know what you look like), but if you find yourself running out of time and need to lose fat faster, then you can cut down on the carbs (ditch the rice, bread, bananas, and maybe even carrots).

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Go on the Transform Plan (tm? ;)).

Cut the brown bread at lunch.
    Instead of the bananas post work out have 3 ryvita with a quality nut butter.
    Cut the brown rice at dinner - substitute with some other fibrous carb like spinach or mangetout.

Training wise I'd say lift heavier and do HIIT cardio a couple of times a week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I like this alright and am looking to get rid of the bit of belly i have, but if you don't mind me hijacking the thread i'd like a little advice myself, better to post here than write up a whole new thread for it.

I'm a typical ectomorph, 5'9 and 67kg but with some excess stomach fat and 16% bodyfat. Is there a good replacement for bread apart from ryvita crackers, plenty of veg could do i'm assuming?

And could anyone possibly type up some exercises i could do at home to help speed this up, as i can't join a gym yet sadly due to paying hundreds of euro for my ITEC and OCR exams in april :(

I can also do some pilates exercises i'm learning so i'll allow time to fit them in of course, will need them to increase core strength as no point in having a flat stomach/6 or 8 pack without the strength behind it, and all i have to help in the tools department is an exercise mat and my own bodyweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

I like this alright and am looking to get rid of the bit of belly i have, but if you don't mind me hijacking the thread i'd like a little advice myself, better to post here than write up a whole new thread for it.

I'm a typical ectomorph, 5'9 and 67kg but with some excess stomach fat and 16% bodyfat. Is there a good replacement for bread apart from ryvita crackers, plenty of veg could do i'm assuming?

And could anyone possibly type up some exercises i could do at home to help speed this up, as i can't join a gym yet sadly due to paying hundreds of euro for my ITEC and OCR exams in april :(

I can also do some pilates exercises i'm learning so i'll allow time to fit them in of course, will need them to increase core strength as no point in having a flat stomach/6 or 8 pack without the strength behind it, and all i have to help in the tools department is an exercise mat and my own bodyweight.

You can even use lettuce as a replacement for bread if you normally eat things like meat with bread - just wrap it in lettuce.

Re weight free workouts try push-ups, bodyweight squats and pull ups. You're covering everything you need to with those moves - your chest, shoulders, triceps, abs, entire lower body and back. Use different variations of push-ups to make them harder as you progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

If it were me i'd reduce the carbs as much as possible and really pile on the HIIT cardio at the gym. I know you want to get as fit as can be in 6 weeks but keep it healthy too and don't over do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I concur with everybody here, cut down on the rice/bread/bananas great advice. Replace (if necessary) with more broccoli or grapefruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thanks everybody for the advice. I cut down on the bread, bananas and rice since last Monday. I went to the gym on Monday and Wednesday and did some HIIT on the threadmill as well as weights and some ab work.

Unforunately on Wednesday night I started to feel pretty tired and fluey.. Have gradually felt worse since then and had to take a sick day from work yesterday. Thought I would be better by now but I still feel lousy so I am at home feeling sorry for myself and hoping I will be better by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Have you noticed eye twitching as well as getting sick? Colds/Flu and eye twitching can be a sign of over training. I'm a lot less experienced than the majority of this board so its best to see what others think. But from my personal experience pushing it too hard at the gym you just start to feel knackered and get little or no gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Could anyone post up some exercises I could do at home, as I have the belly & thigh problem in a big way...Im pretty slim size 10/12 everwhere else but the belly,hips & thighs are the big prob...Really appreciate anyones help or advice :)

Advertisement