Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TESCO UPT appears on Bank Statement

• 02-11-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Just been reviewing my statements and this "TESCO UPT" appears. I check it out and its for when I used a Tesco Unmanned Petrol Pump.

WTF, they are charging me for making there life easier and mine as well.

Anyone else seen this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Just been reviewing my statements and this "TESCO UPT" appears. I check it out and its for when I used a Tesco Unmanned Petrol Pump.

Anyone else seen this?

For how much?

Was it for the actual petrol [the cheek] or an admin fee for using unmanned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Ye I have seen the same on mine. It's €1 for each time you use it unmanned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Its an admin charge as it appears separately on my statement.

I know its only €1, but why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have you contacted Tesco to query it? What have they said?

Trying to find a number to ring them on, that wont cost me (I am on a mobile).

Will E Mail them if I cant and post reply here.

Have checked other websites especially UK ones and thats the common answer.

Stand by.

• Advertisement

Is there a notice at the pump to say that there will be an admin charge? If so, there is no consumer issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

did you buy petrol? i would suspect its a holding amount that will update if you purchased petrol

This is what I sent :-

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently checked my Bank Account and discovered that I have been charged by Tesco €1 under the heading "TESCO UPT".

I have discovered that this is from using the unattended Petrol Pumps.

Can you conform this and if it is true can you tell me why this charge is not explained up front.

If this is not for the Petrol Pump then what is it for?

Thank you.

And there are no signs at the pumps, stating anything about an admin charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Are you sure this amount wasn't refunded later? Possibly you selected €20 so they charged you the €1 in case you went slightly over the €20 and then refunded the difference later.

Just an idea.

did you actually buy petrol from one of their payment pumps?

• Advertisement

Are you sure this amount wasn't refunded later? Possibly you selected €20 so they charged you the €1 in case you went slightly over the €20 and then refunded the difference later.

Just an idea.

Just checked and the last time I used those pumps I did not specify the amount I wanted, just filled away and stopped it my self. And that amount has been debited correctly.

You have two choices at the Tesco pumps thats is either set the amount or do it yourself. I find the set amount not as quick as doing it yourself.

No reply from E Mail yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Just guessing here, but I assume it works as follows, insert card €1 charge taken to prove pin and card work, then you fill car say €50, second charge applied to card for €49.

To the OP is there just one single charge or 2 in close proximity adding to your fill cost or your fill cost plus €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, as far as I know the new pumps charge you €1 then the amount you want to pay then refund you the €1.

No good to me, I usually barely have €18 when I go there for petrol, if they charged me €1 pre authorisation , €17 wouldnt be enough to switch off the petrol light.

For ages in my local Tesco you could get petrol on you laser even though you had no money and when you got a credit into your bank account, the money was taken, I dont have an overdraft.

Have gone through the account and all Tesco transactions have been paid. The only outstanding one I have is from Tesco but its for grocery shopping which was not done through a self service till.

The €1 is still listed as pending as is the grocery transaction.

Still awaiting reply from Tesco, will post again when I have the reply (please God).

Maybe try you bank, if its a pre-authorisation they would be able to see it. If it was a POS charge they'd also be able to tell you that, atleast you'd know then.

Tesco will probably have to pass the question to Ulster Bank before they get back to you.

I got petrol at the Pay at pump an hour ago, no charge on my account, just the amount I pumped.

That was with BOI visa debit.

I am using a Laser card, so that will always take its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This sounds like a pre-authorisation on the card, which has failed to drop off. This was probably done as part of an initial check on the card when you put it in the machine.

How old is the charge? I'd suggest ringing your card provider and asking their advice.

Just guessing here, but I assume it works as follows, insert card €1 charge taken to prove pin and card work, then you fill car say €50, second charge applied to card for €49.

To the OP is there just one single charge or 2 in close proximity adding to your fill cost or your fill cost plus €1.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yeah, as far as I know the new pumps charge you €1 then the amount you want to pay then refund you the €1.

No good to me, I usually barely have €18 when I go there for petrol, if they charged me €1 pre authorisation , €17 wouldnt be enough to switch off the petrol light.

For ages in my local Tesco you could get petrol on you laser even though you had no money and when you got a credit into your bank account, the money was taken, I dont have an overdraft.
    dudara wrote: »
    This sounds like a pre-authorisation on the card, which has failed to drop off. This was probably done as part of an initial check on the card when you put it in the machine.

How old is the charge? I'd suggest ringing your card provider and asking their advice.

All above are right, here is the reply from Tesco @ 08:33 this morniig

Hello, my name is Samantha and I am a Customer Service Manager, who will be dealing with your email.

I am sorry to learn that you have been charged €1.00 when recently using one of our Pay at Pumps. I can appreciate how concerning this must have been for you.

I have therefore, looked into your comments with my Support Team; they have advised me that €1.00, is not actually deducted from your card, but will appear on your account. This is to ensure that their is sufficient funds to take payment.

I hope this explains our position and thank you for contacting me.

Kind regards

Samantha Attwell
    Tesco Ireland Customer Service

The €1 is still recorded as a pending transaction, I think the weekend may be holding up it being cleared.

Will keep you updated as to this outcome.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I understand what they are saying but even though the €1 is only 'reserved' you cannot spend it, while its reserved.

Its a good thing its only €1.

I have therefore, looked into your comments with my Support Team; they have advised me that €1.00, is not actually deducted from your card, but will appear on your account. This is to ensure that their is sufficient funds to take payment.

This is the bit I don't understand. I understand the need for a pre auth. But the reason she gave you is BS.

• Advertisement

It does sound a bit wrong, last time I stayed in a hotel, they pre-authorised the €80 from my card (VISA) and it dropped of a day later, then the hotel charged my card the €80.

In all honesty they couldn't pre-authorise €20 for petrol and then charge you the €20 as it may not be on the card if its a VISA debit card, as the customer may not have €40, (even though the other €20 will drop off.)

OP, would you have pumped a little bit then let go the pump then re-pumped? I know you have to replace the pump for the sale to total off. Maybe that's how you were charged.

Hello all, just back and checked my bank Account to discover that the €1 is still in the pending section.

Now off I go ringing no doubt both Tesco and the Bank to clear this up, or do I just wait and save the money I will have to use making calls etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's a pre-auth from when you bought petrol. It'll be refunded in time. Now calm down, and carry on.

Id get onto your bank about it, sounds like a problem on their end rathar than an issue with tesco. otherwise thousands of people would be complaining??

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

When buying petrol at the unattended pumps, tesco get authorisation first to confirm that card is in order and not stolen etc. The minimum amount they can use to get this authorisation is one euro. The euro is held but not charged. The amount of the petrol is charged. The hold goes off the account after a period of usually 5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alclarke

Anyone else seen this?

I've just rang customer services, they told me the charge will go bank into your account after 3-5 days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Just guessing here, but I assume it works as follows, insert card €1 charge taken to prove pin and card work, then you fill car say €50, second charge applied to card for €49. ....
    No, the ***** put through a €1 charge then the full amount. It' a right racket as it can take up to 10 working days (apparently no-one in the banks, credit-card companies or Tescos works week-ends or bank-holidays, so Sat & Sun don't count) to get the money back. The sickener is they do not tell you about this extra charge up front. They claim it's an "industry standard" - when I asked which industry the bird on the phone hummed and hawed a bit.

More rip-off merchants taking money from cards and leaving amounts blocked for up to 2 weeks elapsed time afterwards. At least they're not as bad as the hotels with their booking deposit taken and then the full amount taken, leaving the deposit blocked on the card for up to 2 weeks. BTW it doesn't matter if it's a Laser / debit-card or a credit-card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

alclarke wrote: »
    I've just rang customer services, they told me the charge will go bank into your account after 3-5 days
    I can assure you it won't. TescoMobile Ireland took a €1 "authorisation fee" off my credit-card on 14/2/2013. It still has not been refunded. It took them 2 full weeks to refund €40 they blocked on a Laser card of my daughter's and 2 X €1 "registration fees" they put through on the same card. They are liars.

There's signs up on all the Tesco petrol stations I have been to, saying that they do not accept Laser cards, but I still use mine (AIB).

Out of the last 3 months, I got petrol every Monday, 4 times they took the €1 and I had it back in my account on a Thursday. Tesco use Ulster bank if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

mathepac wrote: »
    No, the ***** put through a €1 charge then the full amount. It' a right racket as it can take up to 10 working days (apparently no-one in the banks, credit-card companies or Tescos works week-ends or bank-holidays, so Sat & Sun don't count) to get the money back. The sickener is they do not tell you about this extra charge up front. They claim it's an "industry standard" - when I asked which industry the bird on the phone hummed and hawed a bit.

More rip-off merchants taking money from cards and leaving amounts blocked for up to 2 weeks elapsed time afterwards. At least they're not as bad as the hotels with their booking deposit taken and then the full amount taken, leaving the deposit blocked on the card for up to 2 weeks. BTW it doesn't matter if it's a Laser / debit-card or a credit-card.

Its completely standard, the same system is used in any other garage that has pay at pump. Hardly a rip off, or part of some great scheme to part you with your cash. If your unable to be without the use of the euro, you can always just go in and pay in the shop.

Advertisement