Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navteq & Teleatlas - Tomtom One Europe

• 03-05-2007 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I got a free upgrade for my maps from Tomtom and first backed up my Navteq maps before putting the new Teleatlas ones on.

I found the Teleatlas to be very up to date on new housing estates etc, but poor enough on getting the old ones right!

For example, in Teleatlas 6.75, my small estate (11 years old) is marked as a series of roads but incorrectly named. The newest estate near me is fully marked and named very well.

In Navteq, my estate is named and marked correctly, yet the newest estate isnt marked or named.

Why oh why did they not just use an updated Navteq?

Anyway.. I reverted back to Navteq. At least it knows where I live.. even if the newest estates arent on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Trotter wrote:
    Anyway.. I reverted back to Navteq. At least it knows where I live.. even if the newest estates arent on it.
    But you know where you live, so is it important that the TA maps don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

JHMEG wrote:
    But you know where you live, so is it important that the TA maps don't?

Its more of an indication, I want to use maps that have all of the older established places included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Trotter wrote:
    I got a free upgrade for my maps from Tomtom and first backed up my Navteq maps before putting the new Teleatlas ones on.

How did you persuade Tomtom to give you the free upgrade? I bought my Tomtom 3 weeks ago so I am interested.

Trotter wrote:
    Why oh why did they not just use an updated Navteq?

Navteq lost contract for TomTom One

During its Q1 earnings conference call today, Navteq announced TomTom One Europe will no longer be using Navteq maps from Q3 onwards. TomTom One being the best seller PND worldwide and its biggest market in Europe, this is definitely a large contract lost to TeleAtlas. It looks like the pricing environment remains very competitive between TeleAtlas and Navteq.

Questioned about the impact of this loss, Judson Green, President and Chief Executive Officer added: « Revenue was meaningful but not a 10% customer ».

At the same time Navteq announced it has signed with Medion a multi years agreement for its PND solutions.

http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/index.php?action=article&numero=150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ElNino wrote:
    How did you persuade Tomtom to give you the free upgrade? I bought my Tomtom 3 weeks ago so I am interested.

I just sent them a message via the Tomtom home website and they asked me to scan the proof of purchase. They then made it available once I logged into Tomtom Home.

Regardless.. I went back to Navteq. I found it was more reliable for the older places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I know that people can de-brand their mobiles, but what about de-branding a TomTom? Is there any legal way of buying and installing another company's software on a TomTom, simply for the reason of ditching anymore Teleatlas maps? Does anyone (i.e. techie) know anything about the compatibility situation?

There would be no problem, legal or technical, running other satnav on a tt. There wouldn't be many people at it, as ttn is considered one of the best.

Put it this way, there are far more people looking to run ttn on their device than tt device owners looking to run Route 66 etc.

As I don't trust Teleatlas maps and TomTom has decided to ditch the only deal they had with Navteq, I can't bring myself to consider tt to be the "Best", but that's my opinion. I think that someone on this forum mentioned that a PND is only as good as the maps. I've contacted Navteq, asking them what the situation is re future updates direct from them. They've already got their maps to work with tt's PNDs, so it would be no skin off their nose to add independent releases for tt owners.
    I think that it depends on the contract they had with TomTom, as to whether they're allowed to do it.
    It could be a similar situation as to when Microsoft was asked to come up with an operating sytem for IBM, leading to MSDOS. After it was all done, Microsoft started making MSDOS available for any other computer manufacturers wanting it. Of course IBM complained, then looked at the small print, realised that Microsoft actually owned MSDOS, then further realised that they got screwed and the rest is history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've read through a lot of threads here and got the feeling that Tom Tom was not the unit to go for.
    I logged onto tom tom's site and priced euro maps - €99
    I logged onto garmins site for the same - €299
    What is the point in buying a unit with maps that will eventually need updating ,when the price for doing so is ,so high.
    Surely buying a Tom Tom would mean you can upgrade next year. Also there site seems very helpful and informative.

Garmin might be a smoother unit ,but the maps are ridiculously pricey :(

The TomTom €99 map cost is purely for Western Europe. Were you to buy a Garmin, all that you would have to pay to upgrade your pre-loaded European maps would be $75 (the US price quoted). These Garmin maps have a lot more coverage of Europe, in general, not just the Western part.
    The $299 Program is, as far as I can see, a pc based program that you can load into your GPS enabled laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Yung66

ejmaztec wrote:
    As I don't trust Teleatlas maps and TomTom has decided to ditch the only deal they had with Navteq, I can't bring myself to consider tt to be the "Best", but that's my opinion. I think that someone on this forum mentioned that a PND is only as good as the maps. I've contacted Navteq, asking them what the situation is re future updates direct from them. They've already got their maps to work with tt's PNDs, so it would be no skin off their nose to add independent releases for tt owners.
    I think that it depends on the contract they had with TomTom, as to whether they're allowed to do it.
    It could be a similar situation as to when Microsoft was asked to come up with an operating sytem for IBM, leading to MSDOS. After it was all done, Microsoft started making MSDOS available for any other computer manufacturers wanting it. Of course IBM complained, then looked at the small print, realised that Microsoft actually owned MSDOS, then further realised that they got screwed and the rest is history.

Have to agree!! Love my tt-1. Original v660 Navteq map is excellent with great coverage of roads throughout ireland and good real time performance. When tt emailed me with details of a new v675 update I was delighted to pay out the 99.95 for the updates. However at no stage did they indicate that it was a Teleatlas map, nor was there any information on the website about a changeover to Teleatlas. Boy did I get a shock when I installed it on my ONE. Roads and routes vanished, complex junctions became crossroads, bends became straight roads, roundabouts became more like squareabouts and it could'nt find it's way out of a paper bag. On top of all this its slow, lagging realtime by up to 2 secs. If you live in Ireland you muat have Navteq maps, Teleatlas is just crap. Therefore, do not buy a TomTom (Teleatlas). You will be sorry. Really hope Navteq will support the tt maps.
    PS Anyone any suggestions how I can get my money back from these chancers? Or, does anyone want to buy a nearly new tt ????

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Did you buy UK & Ireland or the europe map , as the latter does not include updated Ireland .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I have a tomtom one with version 6.60 navteq maps, I also have a free upgrade available on tomtom home to the teleatlas 6.75 maps. I never bothered downloading the teleatlas map update as I read here the 6.60 navteq map has better coverage of Ireland.

Can someone tell me which has better coverage of Europe, I'm mainly concerned with Britain, the 6.60 navteq map or the 6.75 teleatlas map?

If I update my tomtom to the teleatlas map, I take it I can downgrade to the navteq map by backing up the navteq maps on my computer, format the sd card after I'm finished with the teleatlas maps and paste the navteq files over?

Considering tomtom have ditched navteq for teleatlas, I gather all of their future Irish updates will be of the inferior teleatlas maps. Would I be best off selling the tomtom and buying a satnav that uses navteq maps if I want the most detailed coverage of Ireland?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

All,

I purchased a tom tom 720 recently with the new tele atlas maps for europe. The Irish map is so poor that I use the old navteq map instead. Ok the navteq doesnt have the latest updates but at least the old roads are perfectly aligned with where you are travelling and the townand names are much better and less un-named roads. If only there was a tom tom 720 (very happy with the device itself) and an upto date navteq map for Ireland. The general thought is that the rest of europe is fine. Maybe tom tom would give a new navteq map for Ireland or UK/Ireland to those that are not happy.

d

dfdream wrote: »
    All,

I purchased a tom tom 720 recently with the new tele atlas maps for europe. The Irish map is so poor that I use the old navteq map instead. Ok the navteq doesnt have the latest updates but at least the old roads are perfectly aligned with where you are travelling and the townand names are much better and less un-named roads. If only there was a tom tom 720 (very happy with the device itself) and an upto date navteq map for Ireland. The general thought is that the rest of europe is fine. Maybe tom tom would give a new navteq map for Ireland or UK/Ireland to those that are not happy.

d

There would be more chance of getting a map of Jupiter. Now that Teleatlas is on the verge of being owned by TomTom, there'll be no more Navteq maps. I'm also fed up with my GO910 telling me that I'm driving through fields parallel to the road that I'm actually on. The road between Abbeyfeale and Newmarket is an example. On another, I was in Cork last week and was instructed to turn right at a crossroad. There was no crossroad, Teleatlas had built a new road! The Mrs. was really pissed off and was swearing at Kate, the TomTom voice. Teleatlas just cannot be relied upon, despite what some people on this forum think. I see various comments about UK errors, so it isn't just here that there seem to be problems.

I'm not saying that Navteq is perfect, but they're a hell of a lot closer to it than Teleatlas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I think Nokia are in the process of buying Navteq for $8 billion so I guess TomTom have no choice but to buy Teleatlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nephew wrote: »
    I think Nokia are in the process of buying Navteq for $8 billion so I guess TomTom have no choice but to buy Teleatlas.
    Bear in mind that Nokia may not be quite as keen to make NavTeq mapping available to third-parties. It would mean a huge loss of income, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, Garmin is bidding for Teleatlas too, so it's not a foregone conclusion. It may be that we'll all have to live with inferior teleAtlas mapping (until they improve) or buy a Nokia unit.

Bear in mind that Nokia may not be quite as keen to make NavTeq mapping available to third-parties. It would mean a huge loss of income, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, Garmin is bidding for Teleatlas too, so it's not a foregone conclusion. It may be that we'll all have to live with inferior teleAtlas mapping (until they improve) or buy a Nokia unit.

I think that all of the other PND manufacturers that use Teleatlas maps have already made certain that they don't lose out on their supplies. I would imagine that the Navteq users will have the same deal with Nokia.

Not so long ago, Microsoft had an interest in buying TomTom, but nothing came of it.

I hope that Garmin do get their hands on Teleatlas if it means that TomTom sulks, waves two fingers, and uses Navteq maps instead. If that happens, I won't have to re-cycle my TomTom at the local landfill!

Advertisement