Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life vs Deus Ex, Which is REALLY better????

• 30-09-2001 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Someone was gonna ask sooner or later. And give this some thought please,don't just feel compelled to say Half-Life because you think everyone else will.Reasons why as well please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

You mean you really think no one had ask this question before when Deus Ex came out over a year ago? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

My cats breath smells like cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hobbes is a cat breath fascist, ban him!

Also: Half-Life is better. By lots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Completely different games, there's simply no point trying to compare them.

Half-Life was in ways a more compelling experience, but the sheer breadth of stuff you could do in Deus Ex was massively impressive. Each game has its own merits and trying to say that one is better than the other is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I think Half-Life is better. For one simple reason...the Quake engine. The combat in any other FPS doesnt even compare to any Quake engined game, and thats where Deus Ex is lacking IMO. I dunno...maybes it's just cause I'm so familiar with the Quake engine..I wub it to bits!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

QUAEK 2 IS CLAERLEY BETTAR THAEN UNRAEL!!!!!!

oh and to be perfectly honest at the present moment Deus Ex is my personal fave. I felt Half life wasn't an overly fluid gaming experience, Rocking, just not very fluid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Deus Ex is better than HL by miles, the single player game that is, but if you're talking about multiplayer, HL and it's mods win by miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭BKtje

I agree with Blitzkrieger.
    Offline Desu Ex was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

always thought deus ex was over rated to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Half-life V Deus Muck?

I was so depressed after the first few levels of Deus ex that I just never bothered with the game again. Literally my first impressions were, omg this is the worst “best” game ever.

The guns were lame, the movement of the enemy characters was pathetic, (you should actually see me taking the pi$$ out of this utterly woeful waste of code). They made such bad use of such a wonderful engine!

Also, the game moved like a snail. Like at the time I had 1 GHZ athlon with a GF2 ultra, yet I had terrible frame rates. Espeicially when I looked at the OH so marvelous shadows!!

Half-life  was gripping, beautiful (at the time) fast n’ furious, unique, violent….almost perfect!

Half-Life has spawned the best modificationz ever done for any PC game. This alone is testament to its supreme and utter domination.

……..Perhaps I failed to give Deus ex enough of a chance, but I could literally go on for pages upon pages about its problems / defects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I preferred the looks and puzzles of Half-Life but Deus Ex's mod system and story line rocked. I've replayed both about the same amount of times. So if I had to chose one I'd say... Half-life, by a nose.

Playing HL through the second time you really see it's weaknesses. In DE you could complete each level different ways and the moral aspect added a whole new dimension too. You could play as a cop (sneak around and try to kill as few people as possible) or as a terrorist (go in guns blazing killing everything that moves), and there was actually merits to both aproaches.

HL had none of this. There was really only one way to do anything (bar some minor puzzles). Though DE ultimatly has a linear storyline, it's far more apparant in HL. IMO DE seemed like a fresh, new game while HL seemed like just the next Quake\Duke Nukem installment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

I think i'm the only person in boards.ie that thinks <day of sex> is crap because its to slow for me.I like hl because its fast and easy and the puzzles are great and thats what i like in a game.not this crap learning diffrent lock and waiting for long time at one spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

What a lot of games do is lead you through a level on rails. Your next door is always the one the level designer wants you to open. Half Life did this to a degree, but was very good at making it feel like it was your choice and there were always meanders off to the side here and there just to strengthen that feeling.

I've just finished Max Payne which, despite being excellent in several quarters, really makes you feel constrained in your movement. You're on the train baby and there's no getting off.

What Deus Ex did oh so well was to say, there's your objective - you figure out how to approach it. Usually there was several ways to get wherever you wanted to go and umpteen ways to achieve whatever you had to achieve. The more I play other games since, the more I miss that sense of freedom.

Where HL scored was the fluidity of it's combat and being first. Other than that Deus Ex was probably the better game.

K

PS: And Deus Ex just looked wrong. I can't really put my finger on why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Unfair comparison because the games are different genres and HL is 2 years older.

HL was the game that really took my breath away- the AI was insanely clever. HL has the best multiplayer of probably any game when you take mods into account.

Deus Ex is an excellent game in its own right though

DE looked wrong? :confused:

Maybe it was the way things were so uniform? Even in the supposed slum the buildings were all symetrical and in good repair and stuff.

Actually I didn't think the AI in HL was that good. It was better than anything before and at least as good as anything since, but you can tell the designers didn't believe in the AI by the way enemys respawn on the alien planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    Maybe it was the way things were so uniform? Even in the supposed slum the buildings were all symetrical and in good repair and stuff.

Yeah, everything looked like it was made of plastic - even the people. I don't think the texture artists were at fault, it was more something to do with the lighting. Still very good game locations but they didn't feel "real world".

K

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

IMO HL,it was made about 2years ago and is still going strong....
    I doubt if DE will still be seen as a gr8 game in another years time tbh.
    But both games were the best at release dates,HL just manages 2 stay loved as much as the day it was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Well if you started playing Deus Ex and you were expecting a fast-paced shoot-em-up youd be dissapointed. But Deus Ex is so much of a better single player experience than Half-life is. There are a fuckload of ways to complete each mission, I've played through it twice and I doubt I've seen them all. Half-life is a good bit older than Deus Ex though, and are quite different types of games, comparing them is a bit silly really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 richydoo2

Bollocks! Compare them for****s sake!
    We are talking about Half-Life(Not Counter-Strike) V Deus ex.
    I have played both AND have cleared them more than once.
    Anybody who has played both would know that Deus ex is the better of the two(by miles and miles).
    Half-Life fans are just pissed off that Deus ex ****ed Half-Life off the top as being the best game for PC.

Take it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

be silent richypoo2 , we of the halflife sort do not care for top ranks or accolades, just a great game that keeps you happy into the wee hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 richydoo2

Gone Shootin
    be silent richydoo2 , we of the halflife sort do not care for top ranks or accolades, just a great game that keeps you happy into the wee hours.

I never said that H-L was a bad game..........Just that D-E is way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Its a chore to play halflife through again and blue shift is hardly long stuff and for every good mod theres 80 bad ones its just to old to stay there tf and counterstrike will stay but hl's time is up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

duke3d clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by richydoo2
    Bollocks! Compare them for****s sake!
    We are talking about Half-Life(Not Counter-Strike) V Deus ex.
    I have played both AND have cleared them more than once.
    Anybody who has played both would know that Deus ex is the better of the two(by miles and miles).
    Half-Life fans are just pissed off that Deus ex ****ed Half-Life off the top as being the best game for PC.

Take it.

This guy is reminding me of Prof.Frink and his PS2 thread............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gintyc

By now every body should know Eircell’s new ad campaign… “What’s he on?” I think some one from Eircell seen this post and asked them self “what is he on?” and used then decided to use in the ads.

So I will have to ask the same question “what is he on?”

Half life is a few years old now, Deus ex is only about a year old. Therefore, if you take when Half-life was made, every body knows half life has shaped today’s First person shooters. In that context Half-Life gave birth to Deus Ex.

Deus ex might be the better (or not) but it’s only because Half-Life was ever made in the first place.

Cian Ginty

Editor, The Irish Gamer
    http://www.theirishgamer.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

When I first played Half Life, it took my breath away. It really was the dogs.
    Then when i played my first networked game of HL .. wow!

The reason i didnt get into consoles, but stayed true to pcs was for 2 games, Champoinship Manager , and Half life.

Deus Ex was very good game. It was not as well paced, it wasn't as revolutionary, and hadnt the muli player aspect to the game.

I can see how if a youth today hadnt played either, and was buying one from the budget range, they might choose D-EX, but only if hes going to play single player games (eg play with himself). Otherwise HL, and its mods that it spawned are still the best around.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ancient Animal

Hmm, I'm inclined to say Half-Life is better. It's probably the only FPS that has left such a huge impact, and it just feels better to me. Hard to explain. But I guess I can understand why people like Deus Ex better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement