Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spots

I did 4 mocks tests and 2 were the same as last year, i know i seem cocky but i like to see it as confident, confidence helps big time as I'm sure you'd know if you're repeating. Where are you applying to??

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

finality - don't be disheartened by what I said, I think in many cases your delicious spongey brains and high points in L.C are enough! ;)

I just feel sorry for the few 600 pointers that bought the hook of "you can't study for hpat" and don't get in as a result, it's really unfair on them considering they deserve to get in 1st time round.

I'm a mature student spots, tcd ucd and rcsi are my possibilities.. I'm stuck with 545 after adding on the extra hons maths bonus points this year so I need an exceptional hpat to get in as an undergrad - realistically I am gunning for one of 15 mature student places in each college.. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

hollingr wrote: »
    finality - don't be disheartened by what I said, I think in many cases your delicious spongey brains and high points in L.C are enough! ;)

I just feel sorry for the few 600 pointers that bought the hook of "you can't study for hpat" and don't get in as a result, it's really unfair on them considering they deserve to get in 1st time round.

I'm a mature student spots, tcd ucd and rcsi are my possibilities.. I'm stuck with 545 after adding on the extra hons maths bonus points this year so I need an exceptional hpat to get in as an undergrad - realistically I am gunning for one of 15 mature student places in each college.. :S

I think the thing is that I'm not really too bothered whether I get medicine or not as I'll probably go to the uk even if I do. That lessens motivation a little. :L
    I've done loads of aptitude tests in the past though, like the DATs and mensa's IQ tests, that probably counts as practise. I'm telling myself that anyway!

Actually aren't the bonus points for maths going to make the hpat matter more? As people with 520ish are now brought up to the point where the points start to be levelled off.

as someone with 520 points, i certainly hope so. :p

I've been waiting about 7 years for extra points in honours maths so hopefully they work to my advantage at long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

does anyone know the amount of people aplying this year for medicine and what does everyone think about the pionts rising by 10 as they do every year (not counting the 5 for maths) ?

• Advertisement

Well the best way I can think of to get an answer to that is to find out how many people sat the hpat, since they are the only ones eligible to apply for medicine as undergraduates.

Unlikely ACER would be willing to part with such information, given their secretive smokescreen and veils mentality.. although no harm in asking? If you have the patience of a saint you can find out off the graphs how many people sat hpat each year (I assume this years graph will appear sometime after the results come out end of april)

Don't think there is much too point speculating until the graphs for hpat are out, by comparing between years it's a good rough guide to how the hpat scores will affect medicine entry points.

Just looking at the 25 extra points thrown in for honours maths - it will certainly contribute in a small way to increased points - A certain subset of people are put into contention for places.

The deficit in points between someone with 550 and 525 used to be 25 points. Someone with 525 would need 25 points higher in the hpat than the average hpat score which got into medicine. That's like going from 80th percentile to 95th percentile+.

Assuming they both get A1's in honours maths the deficit is now 5 points (555 vs 550). Now they are looking at 3-4 percentile in the difference - much more achievable.

However, how many people will actually fit into this category? Not many. Keep in mind how many people get A1's in honours maths - less than 1-2% (I think). Now, how many of those are in the 520 range and will actually need the extra 25 points to push themselves into contention? (hint: very small number). Not exactly earth shattering figures. Of course even b's and c's in honours maths are going to make a difference, but remeber the 25 is added to the MATHS score not total score, so if you go from b to c to d the effect gets weakened significantly.

So, as you can see it really is very difficult to come up with accurate figures for the time being. Concentrate on getting over 550 points or as close to that as you can, and you will be in a position to contend. Right now that is the one guarantee you can give yourself and far more important than speculating on things you cannot control or measure accurately.

What does everyone think of this April 25 test score release date. Why did they do it and how it may effect you. Eg if you get under 180 will you take medicine off your CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

spasmaster wrote: »
    What does everyone think of this April 25 test score release date. Why did they do it and how it may effect you. Eg if you get under 180 will you take medicine off your CAO.

Well the results were always released before the CAO closing date. This is the first time they're released before the Leaving Cert.

And do people think there hpat results will effect there lc performance.

If I do terribly I probably will take medicine off my cao, no point having it there if I haven't a hope in hell. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GAAGirl1

Hi,
    I'm applying for Medicine this year and want to use my LC and HPAT results last year. I've already applied to the CAO and the girl said to send in my HPAT results from last year and I did. However, they are not on my online application yet, even though this was a good while ago. Is this normal??
    Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

finality wrote: »
    If I do terribly I probably will take medicine off my cao, no point having it there if I haven't a hope in hell. :P

It might be no harm to leave it there, though! You never know what might happen, so it's just as easy to keep it on your CAO! :) Unless you're reeeally caught for space between other courses, maybe..!

It might be no harm to leave it there, though! You never know what might happen, so it's just as easy to keep it on your CAO! :) Unless you're reeeally caught for space between other courses, maybe..!

Ah but I mean if I end up with like 100 or something in the hpat it'd be impossible to get medicine. :P I'm really not completely sure it's even what I want to do yet.

GAAGirl1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm applying for Medicine this year and want to use my LC and HPAT results last year. I've already applied to the CAO and the girl said to send in my HPAT results from last year and I did. However, they are not on my online application yet, even though this was a good while ago. Is this normal??
    Thanks!!

I have results from last year also, but i'm hoping to have improved this year and not use them! I wouldn't get too caught up about it. I rang them up about this since it wasn't explained in the CAO handbook (they actually added in a bit about it since then) I don't think your score will "turn up" on your page, but it will certainly be taken into account.

If you have any doubts you can always call them up to double check that they were received and accounted for.

And do people think there hpat results will effect there lc performance.

I really hope you guys don't let it get to you, I guess everyone is going to react differently and some will take it very badly though. If you really want to do medicine though, getting high points is going to be a huge advantage to applying next year or abroad. repeating the hpat is one thing.. repeating the l.c is another beast entirely!!

If you get 550+, you can start a science based course and repeat the hpat next year for example. This is relatively easy to do and you can enjoy the college life instead of spending another year at the l.c and concentrate on the hpat the 2nd time round.

I believe a there will be a points raise of 15-20 points this year for each college. So the the cut off will probably around 745-750 for galyway and 755-760 for trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Hi does anyone know how you receive your HPAT results, and when we are likely to get them back? Also what are your opinions on which college is the best for Medicine in Ireland? Cheeeeeers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know how you receive your HPAT results, and when we are likely to get them back? Also what are your opinions on which college is the best for Medicine in Ireland? Cheeeeeers :)

trinity's only 5 years so is cork so better than 6 years in my opinion although ucd does have the horizon programme.
    you get an email early that morning with a link to them.
    coming out late April so around Irish oral's

Deadly timing so (Y)
    Cheers I'm leaning towards Trinity at the moment anyway, handy to get to and all that jazz :)

Hi does anyone know how you receive your HPAT results, and when we are likely to get them back? Also what are your opinions on which college is the best for Medicine in Ireland? Cheeeeeers:)

Every college that does medicine gives the same degree at the end. Base your choice on which city you'd prefer to be in, which one is handiest to get to, whether or not you'd have to move out of home, etc etc. In the end a lot of it will come down to which ones you can go to with your points.

• Advertisement

I know in my case it'll come down to whichever college will have me!

If you do have that extra leg room though it is worth looking into each course you are applying to in a bit more detail. Facilities, where their teaching hospitals are based, how good their anatomy department is, etc etc.

Also worth noting that Trinity degrees 'in general' are more easily recognised internationally.

I know yeah of course, I'l be happy to get it anywhere I am just trying to get the preference order sorted :)
    Does anyone know what the hours are like per week in general with medicine? I mean in the first couple of years of course!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Anyone who is thinking of repeating or who didn't/won't get medicine try Ucas. Loans are provided. Got an offer from Barts recently they want an A1A1A2A2B1B1 that's alot easier than 600 points here in Ireland.

Plus the Ukcat (equivalent of the irish Hpat) is alot easier. If you're charismatic and confident you'll pass the interview no probs meaning you could take preference over kids with better grades than you, something which cannot occur here in Ireland. Just sayin :pac:

I know yeah of course, I'l be happy to get it anywhere I am just trying to get the preference order sorted :)
    Does anyone know what the hours are like per week in general with medicine? I mean in the first couple of years of course!!

40 hours

It kind of varies. I have a different timetable for every week, so depending on whether or not I'm assigned to labs or tutorials that week, have group meetings for presentations or assignments, etc etc etc, its very hard to give a definite answer!

At the minute its not too bad...maybe 10-15ish hours a week of lectures and anything from 4-10 hours of labs, tutorials or workshops on top of that (not every week). Last semester I only had around 10 hours per week.

First med was busier...I don't have the timetable to hand but you'd probably be looking at 20+ hours of lectures and 6-10 hours of labs/workshops a week.

I'm sure its different for each college anyway depending on what sort of labs they have or how much group work they do. Also I won't even go into how long we'd spend studying outside of lecture times :P ;)

Hahah sounds fun! Ah sure studying is all Iv known the last two years so it shouldn't be much of a shock ;) Looking forward to it, fingers crossed the Hpat went to plan now ha-ha :S

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

In TCD we can sometimes have nearly 30 a week, again it depends on labs, some of them we only have every 2 weeks. Some weeks we could have 3 labs, plus 5 hours PBL plus the all the usual lectures - 10+ or whatever. UCD seems to have less hours, especially labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Anyone else nervous about results day yet?? Sometimes I forget about all this HPAT stuff, and then it comes back to me like a smack across the face! Every time I think about the 25th April it makes me so nervous, even though I can't do anything about it. I think maybe that's what's worst: the feeling of powerlessness. Scary how one 2 and half hour exam determines so much...

All the best to y'all anyway :)

someone was asking about previous hpat results, mine are up on my cao now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

I believe a there will be a points raise of 15-20 points this year for each college. So the the cut off will probably around 745-750 for galyway and 755-760 for trinity.

Based on what? It's fairly hard to predict the rise this year because of the extra twenty five points for maths, it'll be interesting to see what the points are though! :)
    40 hours

That's a bit tenuous no? Different colleges, different hours. Not even considering pre-med which is around 20 hours or so in Galway anyway.

Advertisement