Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HOW TO SLOW DOWN RUSTING

• 01-01-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi.
    I have a 99 VW Golf and due to its age it has come across some rusting around the bottom of the door frame and on the passenger side panel. It is not a lot of rust but I would like to prevent it from spreading.

I was wondering if there were any tips on how to prevent rust from spreading. A friend of mine recommended rubbing compound into it and then touching it up with one of those paint markers.

Ps I always go to Boards.ie for car stuff. Boards has never let me down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You're friend's advice is terrible. There's no way to stop rust spreading, all your seeing is the tip of the iceberg, it'll be under the paint further into the panels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Hammerite if your car is white, that's what I'm doing with my VW Polo. But that's a proper bodge, doing it properly would require a little bit more work, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Moose_man14

Owen wrote: »
    You're friend's advice is terrible. There's no way to stop rust spreading, all your seeing is the tip of the iceberg, it'll be under the paint further into the panels too.

Oh.... So what could I do to help it? Is there any way of treating it?

Grind away the paint and the affected rust areas, hope it's confined to the upper levels of the metal only, paint on some Kurust, clean that off, then fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, lacquer. If you've no bodywork skills, don't even attempt it, it'll look terrible from a mile away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

waxoyl in all the cavities....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

If you just want to arrest it for the moment then try some Owatrol oil. It is clear and it seals the rust. I find it better than hammerite simply because it takes a few hours to dry instead of a few minutes so it has plenty of time to soak in to the rust before it starts to cure. You can get it in some branches of woodies.

A proper job wil require the paint to be stripped back and all of the rust to be treated before repainting. If it were me, I would owatrol it now just to arrest the rust and get it to a good workshop for an inspection to make sure there are no structural problems caused by the rust and for an assessment of costs. If the outcome is positive, get a proper paint job done. If it is uneconomic to repair, start the search for a replacement vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Grind away the paint and the affected rust areas, hope it's confined to the upper levels of the metal only, paint on some Kurust, clean that off, then fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, lacquer. If you've no bodywork skills, don't even attempt it, it'll look terrible from a mile away.

is there anything I can do with a hole in the floor? weld? Hole is about fist size and is currently stuffed with plastic to keep water out......
    I have a panda to do with what I want, for the spring and summer.... so can turn it into a truck panda, a convertible panda, an extended panda like the postmen use in Italy,
    thing is I have no car skills whatsoever, but **** it im willing to learn.

Grind away any of the surrounding paint/schultz/stonechip barrier and see the extent of the rust. Cut out a square patch, and cut a new piece of steel to fit in the hole, weld in, grind any overweld flat and smooth, and then spray with new rubberised stone chip protection. You can get it in aerosol form from most motor factors.

If you haven't welded before, it's best to bring it to someone who has - and especially considering it's work being done under your car, doing it on your driveway with jacks and the like is dangerous. If you decide to do it anyway, disconnect the battery before welding.

Here are some pictures of the rust.
    So what do all of you think? Is it a big deal to touch up?
    Does it need a lot of treatment? The guy who owned the car before me must have touched it up.

Thanks for all the advice so far!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adales

I've a 99 Golf too but no signs of rust, was yours previously damaged? as I've heard they dont really rust unless previously resprayed etc.

To be honest I'd say trying to sand & respray that yourself would look worse unless you have experience previously. To slow it down you could try cleaning the area, applying something like Hammerite Kurst (will turn the rust a blue/black colour, painting over with touch up for your car & applying a aerosol lacquer to seal.
    I'd also apply something like Hammerite waxoyl or underbody seal inside the wheel arches, you'll have to remove the wheel arch liner & mudguards to do that though.
    I just applied some lacquer to some rust on my old car and it lasted a good while like that without spreading.

Also, remember to use a car shampoo rather than washing up liquid or something like that if you dont already, I use Autoglym's one which has rust inhibitors and in winter when the salt goes out on the roads rinse in and around the wheel arches once in awhile to take that off.

• Advertisement

That rust is pretty extensive ... the second photo in particular shows that not only have you rust at the edge, but about 2 inches into the panel you can see dimpling of the paint which is more than likely more rust coming up from underneath.

I don't think you're going to be able to remedy this successfully yourself, but I do think you need to do it sooner than later before the panel is unrecoverable.

That rust is pretty extensive ... the second photo in particular shows that not only have you rust at the edge, but about 2 inches into the panel you can see dimpling of the paint which is more than likely more rust coming up from underneath.

I don't think you're going to be able to remedy this successfully yourself, but I do think you need to do it sooner than later before the panel is unrecoverable.

would a new side panel cost much??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Moose try this first, they are a list of breaker dealers that have 99 golf parts,
    you can mess around with the table to get your exact part.......
    http://www.partfinder.ie/cgi-bin/scripts/search.pl

Advertisement