Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Some people are morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Cats are awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

I love cats. She's sitting on my lap looking at this post right now ;)

Sometimes she goes after the mouse cursor, which can be quite annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

I blame the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Farms. Cats kill hens.

Also, I like cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Cats huh?

Bin there, done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Shenshen wrote: »
    Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.
    Unlike dogs, cats tend to be fairly easily avoided, they are shy and towards humans non-aggressive.
    In many countries, cats are the number one pets. Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".

So where does it come from?

It seems to come from farmer folk and boggers who live in the sticks who like to kill everything that moves..

Cats are cool , i have 6 of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They kill birds, thats why. I never hated cats, I just distrusted their loyalty. But since I befriended the neighbours cat, my views of them has been a plus. They are lovely creatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

It's possibly a left-over from the prehistoric age when big cats stalked us, manifesting in the hypothalamus part of the brain.

Cat-lovers are therefore more evolved, according to this theory.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Some people are morons.

I somehow doubt that the percentage of morons in Ireland is so significantly higher than anywhere else, though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

Love cats to bits, and the really great thing is you don't have to go looking for them. They just appear when you're catless and worm their way into your life. The new cat we have was living up a tree in the back garden, now it's snoring on my pillow. How do they manage that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It might have something to do with cats being free roaming spirts were as dogs can be trained and more deserving of the title of of mans best friend .Dont own a cat and haven't had one since childhood but I like them

Schism wrote: »
    Farms. Cats kill hens.

Also, I like cats.

I thought dogs killed hens? :confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Schism wrote: »
    Farms. Cats kill hens.

Also, I like cats.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the domestication of cats in part due to cats ability to catch vermin which was useful around the farm?

Personally I love cats and it pisses me off when people say they hate cats then can't back it up with any logical reason, which happens quite often.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

My hatred comes from the little fúckers nearly killing me as a child cause i got some crappy disease from one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cats are bitches, just using you for food, heat and lodging.

How many cats do you see sat with a homeless person?
    Now ask yourself how many dogs do you see sat with a homeless person?

Case closed.

JohnathanM wrote: »
    Love cats to bits, and the really great thing is you don't have to go looking for them. They just appear when you're catless and worm their way into your life. The new cat we have was living up a tree in the back garden, now it's snoring on my pillow. How do they manage that?

*lol Tell me about it, we've been adopted as well this summer. :D

mikom wrote: »
    Cats are bitches, just using you for food, heat and lodging.

How many cats do you see sat with a homeless person?
    Now ask yourself ow many dogs do you see sat with a homeless person?

Case closed.

Never said everybody has to love them, but why not just leave them alone, then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I hate cats, and shoot any that stray onto my property. First I try to make them leave. If they keep turning up at my door, I try to find their owner. I take photos, put up posters etc. If that doesnt work, its the bullet. There are so many strays around, its unbelievable. A friend shot 30 in one day that were hanging around his farm, 30!!! The hatred stems from people not giving a fcuk about their animals, and allowing them to become feral vermin. Never, not a single time, have I ever found an owner for the cats I've shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

It seems to come from farmer folk and boggers who live in the sticks who like to kill everything that moves..

Have to agree with this.^

It is very much a bog people thing. Jaysus look mammy ders kittens in da shed, suur i'l tro dem in a bag an drowneded em...

Its the height of stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Cats have been historically revered in pagan religions and were thought to possess supernatural powers. Ireland, being a strict Catholic country, has probably swallowed the crap about cats being evil etc. Ironic really as the Catholic Church is probably the biggest pagan religion there is. The Catholic Church just wants you to worship their sun god as opposed to the earth/moon goddess of other pagan religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Shenshen wrote: »
    Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".
    Boards.ie aside, where have you heard this in such quantity that you think Irish people pathologically hate cats? I'm no cat-lover. I'm a dog person. But I've never met anyone who actually hates cats. I think you're making a generalization. And a grossly inaccurate one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Kiera wrote: »
    My hatred comes from the little fúckers nearly killing me as a child cause i got some crappy disease from one.

An unfortunate experience from one or two should not make you label them all as evildoers.

Would you have the same attitude if another child passed a disease onto you? No, you wouldn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Because they're useless.And their crap stinks like nothing I have ever smelled.

If your house gets broken in to the dog defends you and himself.The cat either legs it silently or seizes his chance to rob food or both.Even a goldfish would do more to help.
    Cats eat and sleep all day with the odd 5 minute burst of destroying furniture or pretending to hunt.Snakes have easily as much personality with far more limited physical facilities.

I actually roughly categorise people into cats n dogs.The ones I dislike are always catty spiteful sneaky selfish sorts.The ones I like best are the dog like ones,fun loving,loyal and too damn clumsy to enact any serious deceit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Uh huh.

Irish society was mostly rural for a long time, so cats were not really as beneficial to own as dogs I guess.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Boards.ie aside, where have you heard this in such quantity that you think Irish people pathologically hate cats? I'm no cat-lover. I'm a dog person. But I've never met anyone who actually hates cats. I think you're making a generalization. And a grossly inaccurate one at that.

4 people out of 40 in the place that I work.
    And others before them, can't give an exact number, but it always left me wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

gurramok wrote: »
    An unfortunate experience from one or two should not make you label them all as evildoers.

Would you have the same attitude if another child passed a disease onto you? No, you wouldn't!

Haha, i'm not gonna change my opinion on them just cause you think i should ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I ****ING HATE CATS!!
    And I'm a lesbian so like my favorite thing after women and motorcycles is supposed to be cats, but they smell and they get under your feet and they don't even like you! You just feed them and then they're like **** you I'm a cat I don't care about you. DOGS ALL THE WAY!

newmug wrote: »
    I hate cats, and shoot any that stray onto my property. First I try to make them leave. If they keep turning up at my door, I try to find their owner. I take photos, put up posters etc. If that doesnt work, its the bullet. There are so many strays around, its unbelievable. A friend shot 30 in one day that were hanging around his farm, 30!!! The hatred stems from people not giving a fcuk about their animals, and allowing them to become feral vermin. Never, not a single time, have I ever found an owner for the cats I've shot.

Out of curiosity, how many stray dogs do you shoot on average?
    The number of stray animals in this country is utterly unreal, that much is true. The only times I've seen similar numbers of strays would have been in 3rd world countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I love cats, my cat had a great snooze beside me all morning while I had a lie in. Don't get me wrong I love dogs too. Cats require a bit more work but in my experience are just as rewarding if not more so than any dog i've ever had as a pet.

Advertisement