Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] RTE Announces New Shows

• 02-07-2004 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=42&si=1208880&issue_id=11088
    D'unbelievable line-up as RTE's not Shortt on shows

RTE are hoping the quirky charm of Ryan Tubridy, the madcap humour of Pat Shortt and the anarchic sense of humour of Hector O hEochagain will help in its battle to win viewers over the coming months.

New shows by the trio are among the highlights of the station's 2004/2005 television entertainment and music schedule unveiled yesterday.

Also featured is a new series of music and chat hosted by singer Daniel O'Donnell, which will be part of what RTE described as it's "stated commitments to more than 200 hours of entertainment programming annually". The remainder of the schedule features the return of Pat Kenny and the Late Late show; Gerry Ryan in a new six-part series, Ryan Confidential; the return of the Panel, a light hearted look at recent current affairs hosted by comedian Dara O'Briain; Close Encounters, a magic show hosted by Keith Duffy; and a New Year's Eve countdown, hosted by former Late Late show host Gay Byrne.

Popular radio presenter Ryan Tubridy, in addition to hosting next month's Rose of Tralee Festival for the second year, will also host a new Saturday night chat show Tubridy Tonight.

Hector O hEochagain, who last year brought an infectious vitality to Only Fools Buy Horses, will screen the result of several days of filming with such diverse subjects as Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, actor Colm Meaney, former Boyzone member Keith Duffy and Nick Leeson the former Barings Bank trader who brought down the Singapore bank.

Pat Shortt, best known as one half of the D'unbelievables, is to star in new comedy series Killinascully set in the fictional town of the same name.

Despite Ireland not yet qualifying for the Eurovision Song Contest, RTE will air another series of the popular You're a Star.

Wow, not.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by RTÉ
    Pat Shortt, best known as one half of the D'unbelievables, is to star in new comedy series Killinascully set in the fictional town of the same name.

Didn't that have an abortive first run some time last year? As I remember it, the humour was mainly recycled from his live shows, which were out on video anyway. Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So of all their new shows, eight are new series of last years shows, or regurtations of shows that failed years ago.

Thank God I don't pay the TV license... (Thats my parents problem) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

'a magic show hosted by Keith Duffy'

Oh dear God . . .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Now that sounds compulsive viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    'a magic show hosted by Keith Duffy'

Oh dear God . . .
    That may be a typing error (isn't this the thing Keith Barry presents?)

And just because no-one else has said it...

Is this definitely this year's rather than RTE sending out last year's press release by mistake (yes, I think I may have asked this question twelve months ago as well)? Some show presented by wee Daniel, Gaybo justifying his 247 grand "work for no-one else" annual payoff by presenting the New Year's show, Ryan Tubridy doing what he does, more You're A Star (don't worry, everyone will spell it wrong), Gerry Ryan in some short series that no-one will watch, Hector being mad, Pat Kenny every Friday (there's a shock), Rose of Tralee coming up soon and RTE making a stated commitment to a week's worth of entertainment every year.

There you go, I've covered everyone's complaints I think. They will show all the Bond movies again yeah? Because some people haven't seen them (even on ITV's repeated showings). Please let me know if you know one.

Kudos to RTE though. they still don't cut movies (or at least hardly ever). We get the extra bit in Temple of Doom, the extra two fucks badly dubbed in Die Hard 3 (and the extra knife slashing) on UK telly and on all UK/Irish DVDs, no "get the fish outta here" in Beverly Hills Cop and lots of language in Coming To America. And I'll always like them for that, even if it's also the cheaper option. If they got their schedules in order, stopped moving shows around and started showing them at the EPG programmed times rather than 30 minutes later they'd get a lot more deserved brownie points from all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sceptre you're a far too generous soul! If RTE TV burned down it would be days before most here noticed.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by mike65
    sceptre you're a far too generous soul! If RTE TV burned down it would be days before most here noticed.

Mike.

Thats harsh, now if you said TV3 , with the amount of american programmes they have pre programmed to broadcast it would be weeks before you noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

This is how I read that article.

//

D'unbelievable ......... <skip rest of paragraph> ...............

RTE are hoping the quirky charm of Ryan Tubridy, ......... <skip rest of paragraph> ...............

New shows by the trio are among the highlights of the station's 2004/2005 television entertainment and music schedule unveiled yesterday.

Also featured is a new series of music and chat hosted by singer Daniel O'Donnell, ......... <skip rest of paragraph> ...............

Popular radio presenter Ryan Tubridy, ......... <skip rest of paragraph> ...............

Hector O hEochagain, ......... <skip rest of paragraph> ...............

Pat Shortt, ......... <skip rest of paragraph> ...............

Despite Ireland not yet qualifying for the Eurovision Song Contest, RTE will air another series of the popular You're a Star.

//

So nice of RTE to lead in their copy with the names of their 'talent' in order to save me some time reading 80% of it. So just for that I reckon all this montrose bashing is slightly unfair.

Furthermore RTE have just given Sile Seoige the Friday 'nationwide' slot .... which automatically makes up for all that aforementioned crap and is definetly an improvment on that boring old geezer who usually does it. As such I'll not hear a bad word against those WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL people at RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Daniel O'Donnell was his show not supposed to be on this summer?

Why do RTE always do that advertise shows for the coming season and not show them untill january.

Dara O'Brien is the only show I will look forward to, I think Buired alive shows him as one of Irelands Top Chat Show Host. He could be Irelands Answer to Parkinson.

As for Hector, please do another series of AMU, RTE's Only fools buy horses was a dismal affair.

About time Jerry Ryan's Confidental was return for another series, one of his better attemts at TV.

But it just looks like more CHAT CHAT CHAT to me.

Where's the Drama.

will it just be The Clinic hang on to life on its own yet again for another series. (I like the Clinic but I think there could be more of a variety of Drama show other then it and Fair City).

Any I guess these shows wont air until Nov or Jan 2005.
    Furthermore RTE have just given Sile Seoige the Friday 'nationwide' slot .... which automatically makes up for all that aforementioned crap and is definetly an improvment on that boring old geezer who usually does it. As such I'll not hear a bad word against those WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL people at RTE!

Indeed, Grainne must be so annoyed that her younger sister is getting more viewers then she ever got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

Like Dara O'Briain but Ryan Turbidy is just like an annoying teenager who keeps making smart-arse comments. Are they sure in RTE that he's not just someone on transition year work experience? Mind you, fair play to him, at least he disproves the theory that only good-looking people succeed in TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The Mandrians of Mountrose seem to be pinning their hopes on Ryan Tubberdy.

Gerry Ryan back on TV (Again!!!!).

No wonder that this stations viewing figures are falling year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by emertoff
    at least he disproves the theory that only good-looking people succeed in TV.

I thought George Hook had already proven that?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

A lineup of talent like that makes you wonder what you pay a licence fee for...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

jeez RTE are so sh!t at introducing new faces
    same old cronies all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

RTÉ must think their only audience is sweet old ladies.

Daniel O'Donnell and his own chat/music show......

You're A Star..... (the way the voting went in the last series, it must've been grannies voting - James Kilbane in the final two? A Daniel O'Donnell wannabe)

Late Late Show..... what about a show for younger people?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Hector's only funny in Irish. That Fools buy horses thingy really got up my nose.

Dont like him anymore.

I think RTE are conspiring with Xtra vision to take our hard earned cash by lowering the standard of tv once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

is it just me or is Ryan Tubridy an annoying, opinionated, hypocritical w**ker????

He does my nut on the radio, at the start I thought he was funny but really he just belittles people and abuses people for laughs.... all the while sitting on his throne looking down on people....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

your not alone, spud.

I also thought he was alright at first, thought he seemed to have some wit about him, but in reality, he doesnt, he is just a hypocritical and opinionated moron who will slag anyone to rub his ego, but cant take it when directed at him

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Originally posted by article6
    Didn't that have an abortive first run some time last year? As I remember it, the humour was mainly recycled from his live shows, which were out on video anyway. Yawn.

Oooh that shows set in the place from where my dad hails from! So its worth watching :D Its not actually fictional either! The town exists. Although the show is set in a town a couple of miles away from kilinilskully or however its spelt!

All down in the land of Tipperary

• Advertisement

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Its not actually fictional either! The town exists. Although the show is set in a town a couple of miles away from kilinilskully or however its spelt!

Yeah, I read that in one of the local papers. Surprised me actually - I expected Killinaskully to be in the D'Un's world, near Glengooley (or maybe Bally :ninja: )
    All down in the land of Tipperary

Aye, it's an odd place alright... Laois owns Tipp to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wish everybody involved with You're A Star would just fuck off and DIE. Especially Louis Walsh.

thinking about the piece of **** just makes me angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Originally posted by Stephen
    I wish everybody involved with You're A Star would just fuck off and DIE. Especially Louis Walsh.

thinking about the piece of **** just makes me angry.
    Louis said he won't be back. Let's rejoice! :D
    With him gone we should be rid of the boybands and Johnny Logan wannabes.

Originally posted by The Song Thrush
    Louis said he won't be back. Let's rejoice! :D

Louis said "'Six' are going to be big." And where are they now? "Big in Norway", apparently. Maybe we should learn not to trust what Louis Walsh says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

If someone shot Dara O'Briain and Ryan Teleturbidy I would be very happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Jesus. Jesus Christ. Look at that line up. Seriously, were it not for Scrubs, Little Britain and the occasional Channel Four documentary, I'd just switch off the television and retreat to my DVD collection...

WTF? The last vaguely interesting thing RTE produced was The Island. I cannot remember the last time I watched RTE1, and NET2 I'll only watch if there's absolutely no alternative.

Shite. Another year of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    Jesus. Jesus Christ. Look at that line up. Seriously, were it not for Scrubs, Little Britain and the occasional Channel Four documentary, I'd just switch off the television and retreat to my DVD collection...

WTF? The last vaguely interesting thing RTE produced was The Island. I cannot remember the last time I watched RTE1, and NET2 I'll only watch if there's absolutely no alternative.

Shite. Another year of it.

i cant wait for the autumn line as all the shows they used to have are gone. I on about friends all all the other shows that re finished up.

Lets hope they get family guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

All the money goes towards paying for the sport (not that i'm complaining!)

I think RTE mess with there line up too much, programmes are always starting 10mins late or 30mins early! they aslo show good shows too late at night, CSI is on at 11pm so is law and order.

But i will say RTE show some good films. especially the late night ones.

so in conclusion :P
    RTE are good sometimes but mess about too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

So..in conclusion, RTE caters for Sports Fans, Detective-show-loving-Insomniacs and retired Nuns. TV3 may have stupided up television for everyone, but they at least occasionally got something interesting, or made the effort.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jill_valentine
    So..in conclusion, RTE caters for Sports Fans, Detective-show-loving-Insomniacs and retired Nuns.

And what exactly do the nuns watch? Hector Ó hEochagáin lifting weights with his privates in Taipei?

Advertisement