Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Davis Big Limo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice run yourself, especially after a 2k swim this morning :cool:
    I said the same thing when you came past at 3.5km, but you were too in the zone to hear me.

Also, old? :rolleyes: What age are you? :P That makes you an old bollix too!

Fair point ye grey badger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB. Migfht see you in the park tomorrow afternoon if I have to sleep off a hangover before tackling a run. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

As I said last night, a bit of rest leading into a race and you'd smash sub 19!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

I know you are looking for a sub 19 5km I really do suggest the St. Coca's 5km....Yes I know it's the day before dunshaughlin but it as close to a perfect flat road as you can get.... Like apart from a small area where the road isn't fantastic its as good as you can get....

Well done on the PB as well mate

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

mrslow wrote: »
    As I said last night, a bit of rest leading into a race and you'd smash sub 19!

To be fair there's a massive difference between long distance and 5km. If you can knock out last night's time 5 days after a marathon then if you put a bit of concentration into the shorter distances you'll knock a lot more off the times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Perkina3 wrote: »
    I know you are looking for a sub 19 5km I really do suggest the St. Coca's 5km....Yes I know it's the day before dunshaughlin but it as close to a perfect flat road as you can get.... Like apart from a small area where the road isn't fantastic its as good as you can get....

Well done on the PB as well mate

Hmmm, would be interesting but dunshaughlin is the target and running that would totally f*** that up. I'll look for another 5k race in the summer. I think I have been doing a lot of VO2 max work but not enough LT runs recently. With that in mind the P&D programme I will be doing for Berlin should bring my short PB's on in leaps and bounds through the summer as there is an LT run almost every week.

Met up with Mr slow for a long run in the park this afternoon. A very nice run in the wind and Rain, RQ would have loved it :pac:

Started off a bit stiff but the miles went by and the pace seemed to pick up nicely. Mr Slow looks well recovered after cork. I remember Brian and I trying a similar run after dublin last year and we only managed 6 miles at slower than 9 min miles.

9.8 miles @8'17 pace. HR nicely in the low 140's before my HRM started to mess up for the last 1/2 hour of the run.

WTD 6 runs 53.8 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|10/12|58.7
    Total|132/163|1163.8

10k in 55 minutes (8:58 pace, av HR 137). Just a nice little leg stretcher ahead of tomorrows track work. It's gonna be a light week mileage wise, I have a stag at the weekend so I am likely to only get 4 runs in.

WTD 1 run 6.2 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|11/13|79.7
    Total|133/164|1170

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I have a stag at the weekend so I am likely to only get 4 runs in.

You kept that quiet, who's the lucky girl?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the PB. Looks to me like you might have lost the 18.xx in mile 1. If you ran a 6.06 after falling and running around a shambolic start you must been pretty much tearing up the first mile. So the fade in mile 3 is reasonable. Stay vertical give yourself a few more days after a marathon and the sub 19.00 will go down hard.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB. Looks to me like you might have lost the 18.xx in mile 1. If you ran a 6.06 after falling and running around a shambolic start you must been pretty much tearing up the first mile. So the fade in mile 3 is reasonable. Stay vertical give yourself a few more days after a marathon and the sub 19.00 will go down hard.

Thanks, but I am not so sure you are right.
    I think I know the real reason:
    I kind of knew I had put on a few pounds since Conn, mainly as a result of continuing to eat like I was running 70 miles/week and the trousers have been feeling a bit tight. I weighed myself this morning for the first time in months, since the new 8 week weight loss challenge is starting on the main forum. I was expecting to see about 11st 12 (166lbs) so i was a bit shocked to see 12 st 3 (171lbs or 77.5 kg). To put that in perspective, when I met you in NY last year I was about 74kg (11st 8 or 162lbs). So the goal is to lose about 7lbs asap. They say a lb of fat is worth a second/km which would give me 35secs over 5k if I lost 7lbs!

I might be a bit late for Dunshaughlin, especially with the stag this weekend but I know what to do and should be down to closer to 160lbs by mid summer.

tldr; I'm fat, need to stop eating cr*p. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I wouldn't have put you at that weight either boss. However, if you eat smarter and go easy on the sauce, it will go quite quickly.

I find if i lose too much weight, i get injuries in the legs so nice and gentle on the weight loss.

I was really glad that clarlara turned u for this, because this was the kind of session I would normally make excuses for myself and not finish. When I got to the track, Aimman was also there doing laps to keep an eye and keep me honest :pac: Claralara was doing a kind of pyramid session which meant I had to keep the recoveries short to get in two laps while she did her 800's and 4 while she did her 1600, so brian will be pleased to know that most of the recoveries where less than a minute ;)

The session went well. The first two intervals were a bit slow merely because the garmin told me I was doing 5'10 pace when my target pace is 5'30 (82/83 per 400m) so I slowed down. Turns out the Garmin was just measuring those laps too long (.27/mile :rolleyes:). After that the intervals were all pretty much bang on:

86, 85, 84, 82, 83, 81, 83, 83, 82, 82, 80, 83.

Warm up and cool down included = 5.7 miles total

They all felt good except nos 8-10 the last 2 were fine.

WTD 2 runs 11.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|12/14|85.4
    Total|134/165|1175.7

chinguetti wrote: »
    I wouldn't have put you at that weight either boss. However, if you eat smarter and go easy on the sauce, it will go quite quickly.

I find if i lose too much weight, i get injuries in the legs so nice and gentle on the weight loss.

Thanks horse, but the scales don't lie.

I know exactly what i have to do, my main meals will stay the same, but the crappy snacks will have to go until I get the weight off and back to doing big mileage weeks.

I am actually happy enough to get the news, gives me an excuse and I know I can get rid of half a stone quick enough, without starving myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

171, what height are you?
    I weight myself every 3 months and hue been 13st 12lb the last 2 times. My waist is 32 inchs. Sometimes the scales isn't the be all and end all. Some people are obsessed with weight. I'm not saying you are but think about it.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    171, what height are you?
    I weight myself every 3 months and hue been 13st 12lb the last 2 times. My waist is 32 inchs. Sometimes the scales isn't the be all and end all. Some people are obsessed with weight. I'm not saying you are but think about it.

I'm 5'9. I'm not obsessed with weight, but the waist has crept up to 34" (around bellybutton- still in 32" jeans). should be about 32.5".

I have put on 7 lbs since the last time I weighed myself, so I definately need to get rid of it. Still, last time I did this was after dublin and it was gone in about 3-4 weeks, so no worries :D

Yeah weightloss will help I suppose but you gotta live to

4 miles @ 9'05 pace (135 hr)
    Great sale in JJB for anyone interest. 1/2 price on most makes and models, picked up another new pair of lunarglides for €50.

WTD 3 runs 15.9 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|13/15|89.4
    Total|135/166|1179.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

JJB in the square? Are the Lunarglides the support shoes?

gerard65 wrote: »
    JJB in the square? Are the Lunarglides the support shoes?

I was in JJB in Liffey valley but I am reliably informed the sale is in all JJB stores. Lunar Glides offer a bit of support, not much. They had loads of adidas, asics etc on sale at half price too though, so maybe worth a look....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up a pair of lunarglides for 50yoyo's in the square, worth giving them a try for that price:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm now in the Lunarglide club too...woop woop! Purple and grey - the go faster colours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

claralara wrote: »
    I'm now in the Lunarglide club too...woop woop! Purple and grey - the go faster colours :D

Hey, no fair. That's cheating ahead of Dunshaughlin! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

gerard65 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Picked up a pair of lunarglides for 50yoyo's in the square, worth giving them a try for that price:D

What? You bought Nike? WHAT?! :eek:

Plan for tonight was 3 x 2 @ planned 10k pace (6'25/mile). Given that I have missed two of the 3 key workouts and quit on the other one (2 + [4x 1mile] ) it was always going to be a bit of a stretch to finish this one on target. Still and all I met Sharktale, claralara and digger in Marlay with good intentions.

I hit the first set of 2's fine (6'26, 6'19), much better than a few weeks ago and thought 'great'. Got off to the second 2 miler and as going ok, a few seconds down after a mile but since it was uphill thought I'd pull it back, but the legs were gone :(. 2nd rep 6'28, 6'38. By Now it was damage limitation. Sharktale was struggling too so we decided to do the last 2 miles as two singles instead of a 2 miler. Surprisingly this then went ok and finished them out in 6'26, 6'23.

Conclusion: I am a few weeks behind on these workouts and as a result a sub 40 next week looks unlikely. I'll just run my best and set a PB (42'07) and then use the time to target a sub 40 later in the summer. Last night I entered the lakes of Blessington 10k in September which will be my last tuneup race before Berlin, so I'll get at least one more chance after Dunshauglin. I also entered the Race series 5 miler and 10 miler in a moment of madness, I'll decide later whether I'll race these or use them as tempo/PMP sessions.

Total tonight: 7.4 miles

WTD 4 runs 23.3 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|22/30|150.2
    May|25/31|198.5
    June|14/16|96.8
    Total|136/167|1187.1

That's probably it for the week, given the Stag do this weekend. June looks like being a very low mileage month :-(

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

June looks like being a very low mileage month :-(
    At least it's not as bad as mine :eek:

Blessington has a horrible incline at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Any target half in the pipeline for you this summer? I'm thinking about either Longford or Waterford national half as a MP run (sub 1'30) as i'm in Ireland all that week.

Come on you had to do the race series in fairness. Who else would round up the troops for Ryans?

Any target half in the pipeline for you this summer? I'm thinking about either Longford or Waterford national half as a MP run (sub 1'30) as i'm in Ireland all that week.

None at all, I'll maybe just do the 10 miler instead. I'll probably leave it to waterford in december. I have free entries for midlands half on 1st august if you are interested (see pacers forum).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

"I'll just run my best and set a PB (42'07) and then use the time to target a sub 40 later in the summer."

Gotta love the confidence!! And no doubt you'll smash it too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement