Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Carrauntoohil for the first time.

• 15-05-2011 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭HappyTuesday

Myself and a friend want to climb Carrauntoohil this summer. Would we need a guide with us or would we be okay on our own? Is it a clear enough path right to the top? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

it depends how good you are at map work,and how much exp you have in the mts
    if you can read a map you can get up it. therse a few well marked routes on the net so do up a route card and follow that.
    also leave one route card with someone so if something dose happen the SAR team will find you. not that that is needed but up there a good day can turn bad easly.
    After that be safe and enjoy it, its a nice climb up there. Id give u more adive on the route but cant rember off had tho im sure someone else here will have some more info for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I alway start out from here http://goo.gl/maps/BgB6 and take the path steeply uphill to the east south east. Follow that up till the first lake, then take the shoulder of Caher all the way to the top. Then it's a clear run over to Carrauntoohil.
    You can use this as a there and back route, or if you are more adventurous, you can complete the 'horseshoe route' and back down again. (lots of exposure if you complete the loop and go NW from the summit. Not for the faint hearted)
    No need for a guide, just a proper map, compass and know how to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭HappyTuesday

I wouldn't say I have much experience, I Climbed Croagh Patrick once and the Galtees once... that any good? So we really know how to read maps? As in triangulate our position and all that using the compass and mirror etc? Is there no set path up to the top we can follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

ya just get some pratice with a map, compass some good tips for the old map and compass on the net so should come back to you fast enough

then on the day your going if theres anychance of fog or heavy rain etc just dont do it. clear summers day you should be fine, and make sure you have have enough layers on.

• I think if you just want to get up and down, to say you did it, just use common sense (ie bring boots, whistle, insect repellant, water etc. etc.) and follow the hordes winding their way up and down the Devil's Ladder. Maybe buy the Harveys Superwalker map, or Jim Ryan's excellent guidebook.

If you want to make it an experience to remember, go up a more challenging route in very safe hands, Nathan who posts here is a guide. I'll PM you a link to his site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭HappyTuesday

Ah yeah on my first go of Carrauntoohil I'll take the easier route. What day and time do most people climb it? I'd like to go when there are other people around, we don't want to be the only feckers on the mountain, for safety reasons.

• PedoPriest wrote: »
    What day and time do most people climb it?

Any fine Saturday or Sunday in the summer, any time in the morning, just take a ticket and join the queues.

Safety in numbers is not absolute. It also means more dislodged and falling rocks in a place like the Devil's Ladder. So stay either very close to those in front so nothing gathers speed...or sufficiently far behind to be safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I would be too fast to take the Devils ladder as a route up.

Carrauntoohil is a fairly popular hill to walk, its actually too busy for my liking. Any sunny day you should be fine. Have a Google round for the "Zig Zags" route, AFAIK KMRT have a guide on their site with a description.

OR PM Nathan, top notch guy. and get him to guide ye up if ye would feel more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

is there a summit stone at the top or something that says carrauntoohill so i dont go up the wrong mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 4 StephenCPA

Do you really need a map and a compass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

StephenCPA wrote: »

Yes, but more importantly is the knowledge of how to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Google Earth can give you a good idea of the path and by using the tilt features you can see how steep it is.

• is there a summit stone at the top or something that says carrauntoohill so i dont go up the wrong mountain

No. There is a big cross.
    StephenCPA wrote: »

First timer? At this time of year, yes. On a clear day in summer, if forecast good, the risks are much less - good visibility, much longer days. In winter, the margins for error close in a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Myself and 3 others are planning to climb it for the first time in early April. On the 1st of April the sun will rise at 7:00 and set at 20:00. The climb would likely start at 9:00. This should be enough time, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

Morpork wrote: »
    Myself and 3 others are planning to climb it for the first time in early April. On the 1st of April the sun will rise at 7:00 and set at 20:00. The climb would likely start at 9:00. This should be enough time, right?

Its been a few years since I climbed it but you should be able to figure out and make that decision based on fitness etc., Do you and your friends climb regularly? and if so how fast?, but unless your very unfit/slow you'll make it up and down in time for bed, but that's an assumption - just my 2c

Advertisement